Diana, Princess of Wales: Australian and Canadian Tours and Visits

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful pics, gfg02! I'd never seen some of them before.
Do you know if they started canadian tour this day?

if i'm not mistaken, this wasn't the beginning of the tour. they began this tour on the east coast of canada. i may be selectively thinking this as i live on the east coast but i seem to remember the media bringing attention to the fact that they would be here on williams birthday.

if i'm not mistaken, this wasn't the beginning of the tour. they began this tour on the east coast of canada. i may be selectively thinking this as i live on the east coast but i seem to remember the media bringing attention to the fact that they would be here on williams birthday.

You aren't mistaken. That first tour of Canada did start on The East Coast. I remember them visiting Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, but don't ask which province came first.

Now, I have a HUGE favour to ask of all of you.

Are there any pictures out of there of Charles and Diana's visit to Sudbury, Ontario and the Official Start of their final tour of Canada as a couple in October 1991?

The reason I'm asking, it's two fold. Number one, because the Toronto media were in such a snit over TRH being officially welcomed to both the Nation and the Province when in a, their words, "dinky Northern Ontario Mining town" and not Toronto, there's so few pictures out there. There's got to be more that just never made the papers/TV, but are in archives somewhere. Since this is my hometown, and for another reason, I'd love to have copies of those pictures.

Secondly and far more importantly...

I met Diana that day.

It was inside Science North, our science centre, and we were in front of the Media Camera area. I remember the flashes going off behind her. I'm legally blind and need to use a white cane, so if anyone comes across a picture of the Princess meeting a young teenaged lady, wearing a cordoroy skirt and vest set w/a blouse and also holding a white cane that day inside Science North...That's me and I would love, love, love to have a picture of that moment.

I was told the next Monday at High School that someone saw a picture of that happening in The Globe and Mail during the weekend, but High School was such a hellish time for me and the kids had me in their target sights all the time...I didn't believe the person who told me that. Now though...I do wonder.

Anyway...I was rather hesitant about asking, but Mom convinced me this might be the only chance I have to see if there is a picture out there from that very special moment in my life.

Thanks in advance Everyone!! :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Yes, they began the tour in Nova Scotia. They landed in Shearwater, and Diana wore a red-and-white checked dress with a red hat. I think that they were in Ottawa at the time of William's birthday.

Thanks for trying. I really do appreciate it.

At least there's links to pictures from that day. More than I had before. :eek:)

Secondly and far more importantly...
I met Diana that day. Anyway...I was rather hesitant about asking, but Mom convinced me this might be the only chance I have to see if there is a picture out there from that very special moment in my life.
:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Tiggersk8 do you remember anything about Diana, Princess of Wales when you met her. Like her eyes, handshake, outfit?

I always wished that I met her in person. You were very lucky to met one of the great humanitarian of the 20th century.:flowers:

Thank you for the video link, gfg02. I would have been at work while this was in progress and so didn't see the t.v. coverage at the time. The Premier looks shorter next to Diana; I'd assumed that he was taller than he apparently is. ;-) It must have been chilly on that platform: the area was so exposed to the elements, and late October in Ontario can be cold.

Tiggersk8 do you remember anything about Diana, Princess of Wales when you met her. Like her eyes, handshake, outfit?

Of couse I do and I'll never forget it. I posted about on my LiveJournal page the day of the Tenth Anniversary Memorial Service and I'd link to it, but I've been unable to access LJ the last few months. Which I have no reason why that's happening, but it is and it's very frustrating. Especially as I have a friend battling Terminal Cancer who had just entered Hospice Care when the gremlins started and I have no idea how she's doing or even if she's still w/us. :sad:

Obviously, I keep trying to access it, but so far I keep getting "Website Not Found" messages when I try. When I'm finally able to, I'll share the link. A few things...

I had been placed beside two people in Wheelchairs right by the ramp leading to the floor of Science North (it was designed that way, so *everyone* could enjoy and visit Science North) we were on, so we'd have easy access to at the very least see TRH really well. We were also right beside the Press Corps/Photograpers. Well, when they and the entourage following them were seen heading up to us, a bunch of people right away stood in front of the three of us. I guess Diana had seen what they'd done, because the next thing I knew, she walked right up those people, asked "Excuse me please?" and met the three of us first. :) She also took her time talking to us before she did anything else on that floor that day.

I was so shocked by how musical her voice was. All the books that say Diana had perfect pitch? After hearing her speaking voice live and not from a recorded event or interview, I believe them.

As for those famous eyes, I have only seen one other person over the years that has those same eyes and that's Canadian and World Figure Skating Champion Kurt Browning. And I mean exactly the same!! A gorgeous bright blue that's always sparkling w/mischief and good humour. I'll never forget them.

I always wished that I met her in person. You were very lucky to met one of the great humanitarian of the 20th century.:flowers:

Yes, believe me I know just how very fortunate I am. It was my Mom that made it happen though. I'm legally blind thanks to a degenerative eye disease that's attacking part of the make up of the Retina. Bright lighting gives me fits at times, so knowing that, my Mom called Science North once the visit was announced to see where the best place would be for me to stand the day of the visit and what time to be there. When the person on the other end asked Mom if she wanted me inside or outside, Mom told me it took her a couple of second to react w/, "Inside, inside would be wonderful!!! :D

So it was all thanks to my Mom that I got to meet the Princess that day. We knew then it would be more than likely a once in a lifetime thing. How little did we know....:sad:

Tiggersk8 that was a great story I too wish I had the opportunity to meet the Princess but your story was so warming. I hope you find that picture.

I was so shocked by how musical her voice was. All the books that say Diana had perfect pitch? After hearing her speaking voice live and not from a recorded event or interview, I believe them.

As for those famous eyes, I have only seen one other person over the years that has those same eyes and that's Canadian and World Figure Skating Champion Kurt Browning. And I mean exactly the same!! A gorgeous bright blue that's always sparkling w/mischief and good humour. I'll never forget them.

Thank you for the personal description of lovely Diana, Princess of Wales. For you meeting Princess Diana showed her true colors of compassion. Sometimes on TRF people say terrible things about her.:flowers:

So it was all thanks to my Mom that I got to meet the Princess that day. We knew then it would be more than likely a once in a lifetime thing. How little did we know....:sad:

Yes how little did we know. Tiggersk8 I mourned a long time for the princess.:ermm:

I read from another forum there was an assassination attempt of Charles in Vancouver. Not sure about the time. Diana was at his side at that time, and she behaved totally in panic and held her husband arms firmly, while Charles still kept his calm and pose.

I never heard about this accident, and wonder if it is just a misinformed news.

Prince Charles reacted impeccably - respect! I thought how nice it would be if Queen Elizabeth could as Sovereign in Canada host state visits in Ottawa - eg fellow reigning Sovereigns. Such a move I recognise is likely to be less palatable in Australia. But imagine the intricacies of hosting the Prince Frederick of Denmark and his Australian wife in Canberra.

The cost would be prohibitive, and I don't think that HM would expect the Canadian public to pay for other nations' sovereigns visiting at the same time that we'd be paying for her visit.

Prince Charles reacted impeccably - respect! I thought how nice it would be if Queen Elizabeth could as Sovereign in Canada host state visits in Ottawa - eg fellow reigning Sovereigns. Such a move I recognise is likely to be less palatable in Australia. But imagine the intricacies of hosting the Prince Frederick of Denmark and his Australian wife in Canberra.

I followed all the Wales' tours intently, and I've never heard this story. I think that the person was perhaps confusing it with the assassination attempt on Charles in Australia. Diana wasn't with him at the time.

I read from another forum there was an assassination attempt of Charles in Vancouver.

I followed all the Wales' tours intently, and I've never heard this story. I think that the person was perhaps confusing it with the assassination attempt on Charles in Australia. Diana wasn't with him at the time.

I agree about the assassination attempt in Australia. Didn't Diana have a fainting spell in Vancouver? I seem to remember that Charles was criticized at the time for not rushing to his wife out of concern. Perhaps that is what anbrida is referring to?:flowers:

It could be. I saw footage recently on YouTube of a time when Diana was overwhelmed by the crowd while on a working visit to Toledo in Spain in 1987. She didn't faint, but the crowd seemed to "get to her" on that occasion.

I don't remember any criticism of Charles at the time, but perhaps I missed it. There was more to-do about his teasing the crowd later that day at a concert by saying that Diana fainted because she was expecting sextuplets (or maybe it was quintuplets).

I agree about the assassination attempt in Australia. Didn't Diana have a fainting spell in Vancouver? I seem to remember that Charles was criticized at the time for not rushing to his wife out of concern. Perhaps that is what anbrida is referring to?:flowers:

Now that I remember and it's also in the Scrapbook I kept at the time too. IIRC, she was also the third or fourth person to faint in that particular Pavilion at Expo 86.

I do remember some critiicism of how it was the Security people who reacted faster than Charles did and that he was annoyed (only word I can think of and it's late and I've had a long day, so ye ol brain is fried. ;) ) Diana had to go back to the Hotel, instead of "going on w/the show". So...It wasn't really scathing, as the Press still treated them w/a fair amount of respect at that time, but me thinks if it was this day and age, it would have been a much different story.

Before I miss another chance again (I'm still on Dial Up thanks to my location and the weather's been iffy the last few days thanks to us now having...I'd say early October temps. Things are great right now, but we had some doozy Thunderstorms earlier in the week, so... Anyway...), I just want to share about that one picture from the Sudbury stop of the Princess petting/stroking that beaver at Science North...

Every year, the Ministry of Natural Resources always gets calls about abandoned Baby Beavers or that the Mom was killed by the side of the road, the road was really close to where her Lodge was and the kits could be heard. So, Science North will take in two if twins, but it's usually only the one, and raise it in their Beaver Habitat. Hopefully, they don't get so used to humans that they can be released back to the Wild and the Staff do everything they can to ensure that happens.

In 1991, they'd receieved twins, but the Beaver in that picture, was the Resident Adult who'd recieved horrible rear leg injuries after being hit by a car three or four years before the Visit. The MNR and their Vets/Animal Rescue were able to save the legs, but they knew he'd never be able to survive in the Wild, so SN took him in.

Part of TRH's visit to SN was to become the "Adoptive Parents" of the Twin Kits they'd recieved that year. In turn, they were also introduced to the Resident Adult (and I can't for the life of me remember his name. Sorry!!) and his Main Handler. While Charles made idle chit chat w/one of the other staff members, it was Diana who was really interested to learn more,and to also pet,.....Oh, let's just call him Barney for the sake of the poor lil guy needing a name. :D

I remember hearing her marvelling over how soft his fur was and she also wanted to know what his favourite foods were. The Princess was really surprised to hear how much he loved certain fruits and veggies, as she assumed they were mostly meat eaters. The entire time she chatted w/Barney's handler, she was stroking him. To the point of holding up the schedule. I remember it like this....

PC ~ Diana, come along to see this experiment set up for us over here.

PD ~ In a minute....In a minute....(To the Handler)How does he get along w/the children? They don't always know what they're doing when they're excited or that they need to be soft spoken around animals.

PC ~ Diana...(He didn't raise his voice, but the tone was w/out a doubt one that was annoyed) we're running late.

PD ~ Yes, yes...I'm coming....I'm coming....

She did too. About half a minute later. :D

That experiment...It was something to do w/physics and using soap bubbles to show whatever it was to show, show. There were a few little ones there and this one little guy was having a ball!!! He couldn't have been more than four or three and a half, he was doing what all little kids do when they're allowed to play in something like that. In other words, making a mess, but having a wonderful time doing it. :D

When Diana did walk over to the set up, he gave her this ear to ear beaming grin and one of those little ones piping "Hi!!!!" She, of course gave him a wicked grin in return and also said "Hello!!" What has stuck in my mind about that though, was the look on the Princess' face a couple of second afterwards.

It was very wistful and it wasn't hard to guess what she must have been thinking. "Oh....I wish I could just kick off my heels, get down on my knees beside him and play too." It really was that obvious the expression Diana had on her face at that moment.

Thanks again to all of you who have tried to find that picture. People who aren't into Royalty, such as friends of ours or relatives, usually laugh at this, but...Do you know what I'm most proud of doing that day?

Even though I thought I was dreaming. Even though I still couldn't quite believe I was actually standing in front of Princess Diana and about to meet her and the shock and emotions of the moment....

I still remembered to curtsey!!

My only regret? And yes, I do have *one* regret of that day.

In all of the excitement of what was about to happen in the days leading up to the Visit and figuring out what to wear, I didn't even think to choose the most obvious outfit in my closet at that time in my life.

Which was my Adult/Teen Girl Guides Uniform, as I was a Member of the Rangers in the Senior Branches of Guiding at the time.

I still kick myself over that one. Oh well...At least that's my only regret about that day and there are so many that could have been much, much worse. Such as due to putting all of my weight on the knee that was going to be having Kneecap Stablization Surgery in a few months from then, deciding that would be a good time for it buckle and then me falling to the floor at the Princess' feet.

I was wearing a brace, but it was still happening if the brace slipped a bit while I walked. So...Yeah, I'll take not wearing my Guide Uni as my only regret of that day quite happily. :D

It's so great to read your memories of that day, Tiggersk8. Thank you. :flowers:
Now that I remember and it's also in the Scrapbook I kept at the time too. IIRC, she was also the third or fourth person to faint in that particular Pavilion at Expo 86.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom