Anniversaries of Diana's Death (and Birthday)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Duchess of Durham said:
I was 29 when she died so I remember exactly where I was when I learned she'd died.

Was visiting my grandmother in Vermont when her tenant, who worked at an inn in town, called as guests had heard on the radio the princess had been in an accident. The national news organizations hadn't broken with the story until shortly after that phone call. We stayed up until we heard the announcement that she had died.

This was one of the moments that one never forgets where one was when one heard the news.

I was sixteen, and at home, spending time with a friend. We were outside, and didn't want to go in, because it was cool out. When we did come in (after my mother threatened to lock us out :D), we were informed about the accident. I can recall that night as if it were yesterday, along with the morning after, when my mom came into my room and told my friend and me that Princess Diana had passed on. I watched the funeral, and as much news leading up to it as time would allow. It definitely felt surreal for the first couple of days.

Its hard to believe that its been 15 years since that tragic night in Paris.

I remember hearing about the accident and subsequent death on the news but missed most of what happened for the next few days as we headed out for a camping trip where we had no TV or radio for the weekend. Coming home and catching up on things, I was totally astounded by the outpouring of grief around the world. The lines in the queue for the remembrance books and the gazillion flowers at Kensington Palace are pictures that have stayed with me since that time.

Somehow though, I really don't miss Diana all that much as I see her so much in the day to day activities of her sons William and Henry. A certain way of looking at the camera, interacting with kids in Lesotho, daring to go that extra mile for Walking with the Wounded, sleeping on the streets for Centrepointe. The list goes on and on and I imagine we've all seen Diana in other areas too.

I was only 6 when Diana died, and have absolutely no memories of the day. I'm not sure it received much attention in Armenia: at the time, the country was just recovering from the collapse of the USSR and the subsequent war, so international non-political news received little to no coverage.

It was quite a few years later (perhaps during the funeral of the Queen Mother, which was broadcast in France where I lived at the time) that I learnt of her life and death, and the outpouring of emotions usually very reserved British people showed at her funeral.

When I told my mom I don't remember anything about Diana's death, she told me "You wouldn't, you were only 7."

Osipi said:
Its hard to believe that its been 15 years since that tragic night in Paris.

I remember hearing about the accident and subsequent death on the news but missed most of what happened for the next few days as we headed out for a camping trip where we had no TV or radio for the weekend. Coming home and catching up on things, I was totally astounded by the outpouring of grief around the world. The lines in the queue for the remembrance books and the gazillion flowers at Kensington Palace are pictures that have stayed with me since that time.

Somehow though, I really don't miss Diana all that much as I see her so much in the day to day activities of her sons William and Henry. A certain way of looking at the camera, interacting with kids in Lesotho, daring to go that extra mile for Walking with the Wounded, sleeping on the streets for Centrepointe. The list goes on and on and I imagine we've all seen Diana in other areas too.

I remember the throngs of people waiting to sign remembrance books (mom contemplated taking my friend and me down to the British Counsalate to sign, but the plan was shut down because my sister was only one year old, and wouldn't have been able to handle it), and the sea of flowers at Kensington and Buckingham Palaces. Yes, Diana's presence is definitely felt through her sons. There are times when William's facial expressions are identical to those of his mother. Henry's zest and passion are very much Diana as well. However, the biggest reminders are their kindness, compassion, and the ability to give a bit of themselves to those that are vulnerable and in need of love.

Tomorrow 15 years Princess Diana´s death. Today She´s very popular in many countries in the world.

Martha said:
Tomorrow 15 years Princess Diana´s death. Today She´s very popular in many countries in the world.

Actually it's 15 years ago tonight, if you take into consideration the actual accident itself, and that 4 am in Paris is 10 pm my time.

Last edited:
sarahedwards2 said:
Actually it's 15 years ago tonight, if you take into consideration the actual accident itself, and that 4 am in Paris is 10 pm my time.

Well if you change it for time difference then of course it will be different. But Diana passes away on August 31st, which is tomorrow.

It was the middle of a beautiful golden afternoon in early Spring here when we heard the news of Diana's death. The broadcast of her funeral was, I think, the most intensely moving event I've seen.
May she rest in peace.

Wow, 15 years ago today same weather too, I was 7 years old, and having fun with my father at a neighborhood block (street) party. I don't remember the ride home, but I remember waking up around 12am and finding my family watching the unfolding news of Diana's accident. I remember them telling me that she was in an accident. The mood in my house was somber everyone was shocked.

What I knew of Diana before was that she was a beautiful Princess who was friends with Mother Theresa. When she came to NY it was all over the news. The week before the accident, Extra or Access Hollywood were reporting on her vacation in the Mediterranean. To me she looked like she was having so much fun. They kept calling her Di, and I misinterpreted and thought they said she died. I asked my mother if she died and my mom replied, "No, she's fine just having some fun on vacation."

The next week she was dead. At that age I couldn't comprehend that someone who was young, vibrant, and enjoying life just a week before was now dead and lying in a box. I thought the funeral was this weird parade and I had expected the guards to stop walking, take off the flag, opened the box, and then Diana would come out and start shaking hands and hug everyone. I asked my mother why everyone was crying, and when they were going to let her out. And she said they weren't, Diana is gone and this is her funeral; people are crying because they miss her.

After watching the funeral I started to cry & cry because I realized, that I would never see this woman on the news again, smiling and hugging people. I realized that one day all those who I love and also myself would die. It was a lot for a 7 year old to handle.

I will never forget the throngs of people who lined the route to throw flowers onto the hearse as it drove Diana's casket to Althorp for burial... Diana imo had a good and meaningful life. It was not perfect and she experienced periods of happiness and immense sadness. But in the end she was living her life according to her own terms.

sirhon11234 said:
Wow, 15 years ago today same weather too, I was 7 years old, and having fun with my father at a neighborhood block (street) party. I don't remember the ride home, but I remember waking up around 12am and finding my family watching the unfolding news of Diana's accident. I remember them telling me that she was in an accident. The mood in my house was somber everyone was shocked.

What I knew of Diana before was that she was a beautiful Princess who was friends with Mother Theresa. When she came to NY it was all over the news. The week before the accident, Extra or Access Hollywood were reporting on her vacation in the Mediterranean. To me she looked like she was having so much fun. They kept calling her Di, and I misinterpreted and thought they said she died. I asked my mother if she died and my mom replied, "No, she's fine just having some fun on vacation."

The next week she was dead. At that age I couldn't comprehend that someone who was young, vibrant, and enjoying life just a week before was now dead and lying in a box. I thought the funeral was this weird parade and I had expected the guards to stop walking, take off the flag, opened the box, and then Diana would come out and start shaking hands and hug everyone. I asked my mother why everyone was crying, and when they were going to let her out. And she said they weren't, Diana is gone and this is her funeral; people are crying because they miss her.

After watching the funeral I started to cry & cry because I realized, that I would never see this woman on the news again, smiling and hugging people. I realized that one day all those who I love and also myself would die. It was a lot for a 7 year old to handle.

I will never forget the throngs of people who lined the route to throw flowers onto the hearse as it drove Diana's casket to Althorp for burial... Diana imo had a good and meaningful life. It was not perfect and she experienced periods of happiness and immense sadness. But in the end she was living her life according to her own terms.

I was the same age as you, (still am) and the day of the funeral was my dad's parents' 50th wedding anniversary party at their house. My parents couldn't pay attention to the news that week, partly because they couldn't believe Diana was gone, (they were in shock, like most of the world) and partly because they were putting together a photo album/scrapbook for my grandparents, with pictures of them, their five children and their spouses, and their eight grandchildren. I do remember reading a newspaper article about Diana while I was at the party.

I was at a beach house on vacation with my husband and children. We had just gotten back from dinner and were watching tv when I saw an early report of the accident. I saw the "Breaking News" headline change from "Princess Diana injured" to "Princess Diana Dead" - before the anchor had reported it. That whole week was surreal...I stayed up most of that night watching and then again for the funeral (after we got back home). It was one of those "where were you when..." moments. She was three months younger than I was...:sad:

I was never a "passionate Diana fan" when she was alive, but I remember very well when I heard about her death, and also the whole following week and her emotionnal funeral. I was crying and crying, and especially the image of her cuffin with this letter from Harry, 'mum". I do not know why I say it was from Harry, I had immediately the idea it was from Harry, but I do not really know if it was from him.
And now, 15 years after her death, when I see her image I still feel so sad for this luminous person, gone so early, and leaving such an empty space. She loved life, she was loved by life, and she had so much to give. Destiny decided in a different way...
I think Diana, with her strenghs, her qualities but also her weaknesses and her faults, she changed drastically the monarchy, she brought them in the real world.
When I watched W+K wedding I felt close to cry, I hoped that she was somewhere to see her beloved boys being now handsome men, and William being so happy.
RIP Diana.

Last edited:
I heard the news quite early that morning on ITN and kept thinking 'am I hearing this correctly?' and switched over to the BBC,was never that interested in Diana but was shocked like so many at her untimely death.

I was 28, when i heard the news about Diana`s death. It was such a big shock, I couldn`t belive it. I remember watching the wedding between Diana and Charles and ever since that moment, I have been a big admirer of Diana. She will always be very special and nobody will ever take here place.
Miss here so much:rose:

:rose2:I still remember that awful news as if it were today.
As a spiritualist, I believe she is in a place full of love and light and being able to see how the sons she treasured so much are getting on in life.
We miss you Lady Di.

So much has happened in the world since then, and in my own life I suppose that it seems like she's been dead 100 years. I can no longer imagine the world with her in it, although any of us who lived through the Diana years knew she was larger than life.

May she rest in peace, and may her loved ones find some peace.

May this day mark only a end to her earthly life and may it be the beginning of her heavanly life. May the People's Princess live on in our hearts.

:rose2:I still remember that awful news as if it were today.
As a spiritualist, I believe she is in a place full of love and light and being able to see how the sons she treasured so much are getting on in life.
We miss you Lady Di.

I believe in that as well.

I posted this in the wrong thread by accident, so now I'm putting it here, where I intended to put it originally.

I remember when Elton John's 'Candle in the Wind', 1997' played all over the radio. Honestly, after hearing it live, I just couldn't bring myself to listen to it again. It was (and still is) a very poignant and touching tribute:

Best-Selling Single Of All Time "Candle In The Wind 1997" Turns 15 Years Old - Houston - Music - Rocks Off

:previous: Candle In The Wind 97 is one of my favorite Elton songs but I listen to it the least I haven't heard the song in a year. Its just too sad like Billie Holiday's Strange Fruit, beautiful song but too painful to listen to.

My tribute in Loving Memory for Diana, Princess of Wales

My tribute for Diana, Princess Of Wales - YouTube

293022_10151045615426375_154627600_n.jpg

It's a beautiful tribute Nata8904.

Back
Top Bottom