Anniversaries of Diana's Death (and Birthday)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The accident happened on a Saturday night...I remember going to mass the next morning and the priest offering up prayers for her and for her family that they may find peace and courage over the next few days.
Then going home and watching on TV, the public shun the Press, as they seemed to be blaming them for the accident...
Now, 9 years on, the grief is still there as she was so popular, but we move on...

I was ill and asleep in bed and awoke with a start and walked out and my husband was watching the t.v. and quickly switched the channel. I asked him why and he mumbled something and as I pressed him he stated that Princess Diana had been in an automobile accident and he quickly switched the channel back, he didn't want to upset me. At that time they were stating she had just broken her arm. My husband and the rest of my family soon went to bed but I stayed up looking at mindless t.v. getting reports here and there of her condition. All of a sudden a flash came on t.v. stating that Princess Diana had died of her injuries and I was all alone. I was just so shocked! I don't know if it was because I was ill or what but I just burst out crying and cried my heart out.

I too had two boys, although they were younger and hugged them in their sleep before I went to bed that night. I awoke to headlines that again brought it all back to me. Every woman I knew called me crying, even those that weren't Princess Diana fans! I don't know what it was that triggered this much emotion and still don't but it happened worldwide. To me it was a personal emotion to others who weren't fans I just don't know.

I followed her from when she first came into the limelight through all of it, I was drawn to her special light. I too think that what upset me the most about her death is that she obviously died so young but that she had moved on both in her personal life and had finally found work that she believed in and she was making such a difference in the world, and of course her beloved boys. I still miss her!

Lily

Lily

yestday was a horrible day for me, for private reasons and of course for diana.
She is in everything in my life, she is very present in all, but i cant with this,her death still is very fresh in myself, I feeling terrible now and I cant sain much more, she is everithing.....she never will be forgetted

Diana, with all the love from my heart:

it was my north, south , this and west united
my day of work and my Sunday
noon, midnight, songs and words
I thought to always have by the love, I was mistaken
to extinguish absolutely to this sky starred
I want surrounded the moon and the dismantled sun
to drain the ocean, the forests you devastate
nothing serves as anything and everything is of more

I was startled the other day when I realized it was August 31 again.

I remember hearing about the accident as I was watching the late shows Saturday night, and I just kept waiting for more news.

I cried for almost two weeks.

It was such a wasteful death.

sirhon11234 said:
That man's article sounded very mean

Brian Reade's story wasn't mean, it was true though. All the speculation, inuendo, conspiracy theories and finger pointing in the world isn't going to bring Diana back, she needs to be remembered for the wonderful person she was and stop dragging her name through the mud every twelve months. The people who still love and miss her should greive in privacy now and let Diana rest in peace. JMO. :flowers:

After nine years Diana has become the House of Windor's answer to that other mystery: Who Killed JFK? When the way people arrive to an early grave involves other people, like witness, seems that type of death becomes questionable by itself. A suspicion escalates into a rumor and it grows into a life of it's own.

Toledo said:
After nine years Diana has become the House of Windor's answer to that other mystery: Who Killed JFK?
In the minds of some, perhaps, but one can't argue that JFK's death was an accident, whereas in the case of Diana, the probability is that it was.

Warren said:
In the minds of some, perhaps, but one can't argue that JFK's death was an accident, whereas in the case of Diana, the probability is that it was.

:question: W. did you meant:
...but one can't argue that JFK's death wasn't an accident, ???

If so, then I agree with you. JFK's early departure from the land of the living was no accident, Diana's I think it was. This year alone we've been in three close call accidents involving other people driving like maniacs cutting people off with no signals, etc. We also witnessed two accidents right in front of us also related to speed. If I transpose that to that night in Paris, fleeing away like maniacs from paparazzi and into a tunnel with only one passanger using a seat belt, then you got an accident waiting to happen.

Warren said:

i have agree with warren but the late president JFK been involve with murder cases in 1960's and Princess Diana's crash in 1997 but i dont think have same cases with kennedys and Wales betweens.

Princess Diana is first married to Prince Charles in 1981 till separation in December 1992 till HM Queen's order for divorces processing.

Jackie Kennedy been widow for longtimes since JFK's death

I sleep with the radio on [just for background noise] and I woke up that morning to hear the newscasters talking about a "famous death". I flipped my television on and saw the news that it was Princess Diana. I was absolutely gutted for the whole day.

I went to a Catholic high school, and we had a memorial mass for her that day at the parish church near our school.

sara1981 said:
i have agree with warren but the late president JFK been involve with murder cases in 1960's and Princess Diana's crash in 1997 but i dont think have same cases with kennedys and Wales betweens.

Princess Diana is first married to Prince Charles in 1981 till separation in December 1992 till HM Queen's order for divorces processing.

Jackie Kennedy been widow for longtimes since JFK's death

I can't understand what you're saying. Are you saying that Diana was murdered?

Sister Morphine said:
I can't understand what you're saying. Are you saying that Diana was murdered?

NO! im mean Diana have accident in august 1997 its 9 years ago

sara1981 said:
NO! im mean Diana have accident in august 1997 its 9 years ago

In that case, I don't know what you were saying in regards to JFK.

I was seven when Princess Diana died and I remember being with my grand-mother at my grand-parents house watching the funeral service live early in the morning. I can recall many moments of the service, in fact all of it because it made me feel sad. I remember when I saw the hearse after the service carrying Diana's coffin to Althrope House and people throwing flowers and the top of the hearse was full of flowers.

It still amazes me how Diana's death had such a profound impact on so many people she was really the Queen of Hearts. She was the Queen that Britain never had the chance to have.

I was living in New york and coming back late the next night from a three day camping trip in the woods with friends. Hadn't seen a newspaper or tv for days, and the first thing I did when I came home was turn on the radio. I got the last lines from a broadcast and it mentioned that Tony Blair said Britain would always remember her as the people's princess.

I remember turning off the radio in disgust & thinking, How disgusting to broadcast a spoof of the death of a famous person, how tasteless! Then I went to bed.

The next morning, to my shock, I discovered it wasn't some sick radio-exec hoax, but that it really happened!

I had always been a fan of Diana's, until that ill-advised, whiny, woe-is-me Bashir interview that put me straight into Charles's camp because she seemed so narcissistically attention seeking, which I found naive and bad for someone with young kids. Then the Dodi episode: I remember his then fiancee crying on live TV because Diana had stolen her boyfriend, even though at the time it was already plain for all to see, that Dodi was just another toyboy of the princess. That kind of did it for my admiration for her, and although I was saddened by her death, I also remember thinking it was somehow weirdly fitting: someone so celebrated, so out there, so thinking she was above all else, she'd kindof become akin to the washed-up Marilyn Monroe in the early sixties.

That said, I was saddened, as I had always admired her (minus the years 95-97)

Nothing can compare with the mass-grief we experienced nine years ago. Because she was a beautiful woman scorned by her husband, the world understood the emotion that drove her to do the ill-advised interview and pursue her ill-fated relationship. And those of us who love her, forgave her. For now, I wish she was here for her sons even tho' their father had remarried. They could very well do with their mother's support and unconditional love. I was struck with the picture of Prince Harry greeting his former nanny with open arms and a very wide grin at his passing out parade from Sandhurst.
I thought 'that is so Diana'. It was as if he was welcoming his mum. Reminiscent of the spontainety that we see in their childhood photographs with their mum.

Last edited:
I was up early this morning as in the evening we wanted to drive to Venice for a 3 month stay there first on the Lido and then in town. As we had rented a house at the Lido directly at the beachfront for september and later a flat in San Polo for october to november I wasn't sure what to take with me, as september is still hot summer but november can be a rather wet and cold month in Venice. So I stood there in my bedroom selecting clothes and other stuff and had put on the TV, when n-tv (or was it CNN?) brought the news of Diana's accident. I couldn't believe it. I think German n-tv then took over the whole news coverage of the BBC and there I was, packing and watching and disbelieving it.

When the funeral was broadcasted, we stayed in our garden at the Lido-island of Venice, it was the time of the film festival but at this day the beach front was quiet. We saw the funeral service in Italian RAI programme and later went for a long walk along the promenade from the Cinema palace to the hotel Des Bains and found that most people we met looked sober, which was pretty uncommon for the festival visitors. But somehow for us it was fitting that we were in Venice when Diana was buried...

I noticed that a couple of posts are from Charles and Camila fans. And u left nice comments about your memories on that sad day. I may not be a big fan of Camilla but I would never direspect her fans on this forum. Once again thank you all for posting such nice comments.

Devin Lapierre

I always light a scented candle and think of her the evening of the 31st and stay up late that evening. (I don't try to make a big thing of it since my best friend lost her father and husband in the very same week five years ago. Perhaps it's a little shallow in that I didn't know Diana, but I don't think it hurts anyone to keep it as a private observance on my part.) And I'll include her in my prayers on Sunday at church.

I like to burn lavender incense in her memory on Aug 31.

I'll probably think about her a bit, but I don't really do any special observance.

Back
Top Bottom