Anniversaries of Diana's Death (and Birthday)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mostly because they are not interesting. Other than the Pomp and Circumstances, which they do beautifully. Americans do not know or could care less. It is a show.

Well, the Queen, as head of the House of Windsor and Head of State of Britain and head of the Commonwealth does something a bit more than pomp and circumstance! No, the House of Windsor doesn't matter to most Americans as they're not in the Commonwealth nor are they British, obviously. However, the House of Windsor doesn't exist to make other nations happy or interested!

However, this thread is about Diana and her death was, I believe, as big a shock to Americans, especially adult females, as it was to the rest of the world. It certainly dominated the media there for days, including coverage of the funeral. As I've said before, an Aussie friend who was temporarily living in LA at the time of her death had complete strangers coming up expressing their condolences.

Last edited:
Mostly because they are not interesting. Other than the Pomp and Circumstances, which they do beautifully. Americans do not know or could care less. It is a show.

No its not a show and I don't see how you can say that "americans do not know and could care less". there are billions of americans, how can you possibly say what so many people think?
And certainly there was grief in the US, as well as in the UK and many other places over Di's death.

One thing that is a very obvious truth is that unless one lived under a rock or in a cave, they knew who "Princess Diana" was. I would imagine that the interest level of most Americans at the time of her death either saw her as the Fairy Tale Princess or what they've read about her on the front pages of tabloids which are places near the checkout lines in the majority of supermarkets and grocery stores throughout the US.

Its possible to know who someone is, and not have any particular interest in tehm. I know who the Prime Minister here is, but I could NOT have less interest in her or the last one. If they died suddenly, I would not wish for it, but I'd feel nothing...

One thing that is a very obvious truth is that unless one lived under a rock or in a cave, they knew who "Princess Diana" was. I would imagine that the interest level of most Americans at the time of her death either saw her as the Fairy Tale Princess or what they've read about her on the front pages of tabloids which are places near the checkout lines in the majority of supermarkets and grocery stores throughout the US.

No. I certainly didn't live under a rock, and I was an avid reader of people magazine. But I had little to no idea who she was. The only reason I remember her funeral was because we had just moved to a new province, and having not started school and made friends, was bored at home watching tv.

I grew up in the generation when we were alive when she was, but the fairy tale had ended long before we would have taken notice. My first royal wedding was Edward and Sophie. Well second as I was up for a midnight feed for Charles and Diana, was three months old.

Now we have a whole generation of people, not only under twenty, but those who were young when she died.

Honestly the tabloids near the checkout were more things like enquirer and you were more likely to read about alien abductions.

I was a bit older when Diana died. My then fiance' and I had just moved to West Virginia a few months earlier and the weekend of the car crash in Paris, we were on a camping trip in Virginia. I had always known who Diana was and although I didn't avidly follow the war of the Waleses, I knew the marriage was in trouble and at the time, I kind of sympathized totally with Diana because my own marriage was disintegrating too so I felt we had something in common. That's a big thing with Diana. People that met her or knew of her life felt they had something in common with her.

It really wasn't until I joined the discussions here at TRF that the pieces of the puzzle that was Diana's life fell into place for me and I realized more how human all the players were. I identified with Charles who found so much happiness the second time around as I did as began to see Camilla as a warm, down to earth human being rather than the "rottweiler" she had been portrayed to be. I've watched Will and Harry grow up to be outstanding young men and grow into their roles.

Its been 20 years since Diana died in Paris and this year in October, we'll be celebrating 20 years of marriage as a contented, happy older couple. In all things I think I realize that there's ups and downs and sideways and ins and outs that make up a person's lifetime and Diana was no different from the rest of us in that respect. It was just so terribly tragic that her lifetime was cut short at 36 years old with so much life ahead of her.

I agree with you on the checkout rags Countessmeout. My ex used to read the Enquirer each time it came out but it was something I never could understand the value of. I was in my Harlequin romance novel period and the ex couldn't understand those either. :lol:

Well I often used to see the Enquirer here in London and druring the 1990s there were LOADS of stories about Diana and Fergie and the War of the Waleses". SO I can't believe that many americans who were 20 or so, in the 90s didn't know about her and the break up of her marriage etc. Of course younger people now who were only born around 1990- something, may not know. or many aren't interested but IMO there was plenty of knowledge about her and her marriage. there are loads of TV programmes from the 90s which I see on TV now, in which the marriage break up iwas discussed and they are usually slanted in favour of Diana..and they were shown on American TV.
Not to mention the "Settelen tapes" which I don't think have been shown on UK Mainstream TV but have been shown on American tv. So I certainly believe there is nad was a good deal of interest in her and the RF among many americans.

I definitely agree with you. One would have been living under a rock to not know about Princess Di and Charles. Even sitcoms at the time (one in particular called Night Court) had characters that were admirers of "Chuck and Di" as they may have been referred to. The "Diana" haircut was all over the place in the US and Diana was very much admired.

My kids were younger at that time and even today, they'd know who Diana was but I don't think she generates much interest in them. They're now in their 40s and although they may have fleeting memories of her tragic death in Paris, I don't think they'd go out of their way to watch TV shows or read biographies of Diana like I do. Still today, flipping through upcoming shows on TV, my hubby will see one about Diana and ask me if I've seen that one yet. He's about as interested in royalty as he is in current fashion threads but he does know its an interest of mine. I was totally shocked when he actually sat and watched Will and Kate's wedding with me.

Diana was a personage known the world over and I believe everyone just about has an inkling of her life and times but the levels of interest really depend on their interests. They would no more pay attention today to things about Diana than I would perhaps on the life of Rudolph Valentino who lived and died way before my time. :)

I definitely agree with you. One would have been living under a rock to not know about Princess Di and Charles. Even sitcoms at the time (one in particular called Night Court) had characters that were admirers of "Chuck and Di" as they may have been referred to. The "Diana" haircut was all over the place in the US and Diana was very much admired.

Diana was a personage known the world over and I believe everyone just about has an inkling of her life and times but the levels of interest really depend on their interests. They would no more pay attention today to things about Diana than I would perhaps on the life of Rudolph Valentino who lived and died way before my time. :)
well yes younger people who were born say in the 80s or 90s may not know that much or have any interest.. but I agree, I watch a lot of American sitcoms and certainly "Charles and Di" and their marriage, was referred to and joked about it some of them. I occasionally watch "The Middle" and it had an episode where one of the plot points was Frankie wanting to watch the WIll and Kate wedding. I remember when that was on, I was part of another forum and the amercican members were up at some ungodly hour to wathc it..

I remember going to work the day after will Kate wedding and being surprised many people had no idea what I was talking about. And they are our monarchy.

The glamor of royals isn't as popular now a days. People are more inclined to know about celebrities than royals.

Yes, chuck and di may have been on sitcom topics back in the day or news, but again that is an older generation who would have been watching. Kids born in the 80s and 90s weren't likely to be watching such, or if they did, paying attention. During their divorce was in a stage of watching adventure shows. Xenia, Hercules, and so on were the rage. Only mention of Diana was a princess Xena looked like.

The national enquirer, if it had stories about the war of the roses, never caught my eye. There was usually a picture of a spaceship and a human giving birth to an octopus. Far more interesting to someone in their early teens.

Must say the first royal I took interest in was Victoria (well living, I was history major before went into nursing). People always had a royal section and I remember an article about her eating disorder and school. I remember being so happy that Sweden had a female heir. It was Victoria that led me to my modern fascination with royals, and eventually to watch Edward and Sophie wed. My Nana was always telling us about the royals but she was only interested in the queen and older royals.

I think you msut be thinking of another Tabloid. I've seen the Nat Enquirer frequently and it doesn't have those sort of stories. It dd have stories about Diana and the RF, now it tends to be more about American celebrities..

You're right Denville. The Enquirer mostly focused on celebrities and people in the news rather than the Elvis sightings and half alien births. I believe the two that were mostly around supermarket checkouts that were like that were the Star and the Globe. Its been a long time.

If I recall correctly too, when Diana died, there was a massive removal of tabloids from checkouts all across the US. I did do a bit of digging and found this article which relates to what happened.

https://books.google.com/books?id=3...pulled from checkout at Diana's death&f=false

You're right Denville. The Enquirer mostly focused on celebrities and people in the news rather than the Elvis sightings and half alien births. I If I recall correctly too, when Diana died, there was a massive removal of tabloids from checkouts all across the US. I did do a bit of digging and found this article which relates to what happened.

[[/url]
I know. I have been known to buy a copy of the Enquirer if very bored and waiting for a train. It is not well sourced but it is not "aliens having babies" or ELvis is still alive type stories.
It was the same in the UK, in that on the sunday the newspapers had to pull critical stories about Diana -. She was getting some flak from some columnists for her being on holiday and for her "flaunting" a friendship with Dodi Fayed. and so with the wave of grief about her death, the papers had to pull these stories.

I agree about the Enquirer, which I've read on the odd occasion. Stories about celeb marriages and how they're going wrong, usually. I think the Globe has the Elvis is still alive and alien stories.

In Britain I do know that two senior journalists who had been very critical of Diana in lead articles in the months leading to her death were given leave of absence until after the funeral by their tabloid newspapers. I think one worked for The Sun (rotten newspaper) and one the Daily Express, which I used to read when I lived in Britain, so I can well remember the articles.

It was a strange atmosphere in Britain in the week of her death and funeral and newspaper and magazine editors were getting death threats and photographers were menaced.

I'm sure that most people under 30 don't have any feelings about Diana, even if their mothers and aunts were fans. How could they have, she's just a misty figure from their childhood for the older ones, for the younger, teenagers, not even that?

well she got a lot of flak that summer, for being on holiday, for frolicking so publicly with Dodi, for a friendship with Moh Al Fayed.

I agree about the Enquirer, which I've read on the odd occasion. Stories about celeb marriages and how they're going wrong, usually. I think the Globe has the Elvis is still alive and alien stories.

In Britain I do know that two senior journalists who had been very critical of Diana in lead articles in the months leading to her death were given leave of absence until after the funeral by their tabloid newspapers. I think one worked for The Sun (rotten newspaper) and one the Daily Express, which I used to read when I lived in Britain, so I can well remember the articles.

It was a strange atmosphere in Britain in the week of her death and funeral and newspaper and magazine editors were getting death threats and photographers were menaced.

I'm sure that most people under 30 don't have any feelings about Diana, even if their mothers and aunts were fans. How could they have, she's just a misty figure from their childhood for the older ones, for the younger, teenagers, not even that?
I will just say that during the OJ Simpson trial, the NE was frequently quite correct on matters that others declined to print on the subject.

I remember from the video of her wedding that as she walked up the steps of St. Paul's Cathedral, the reporter declared that Diana looked demure behind her veil.

Today in Royal History is the 22nd Death Anniversary of Diana, Princess of Wales.

I thought about Diana this morning. It doesn't seem 22 years. Kind, charitable, charismatic, beautiful. God bless the Princess of Wales, and may she rest in peace. Gone far too soon!

I thought about Diana this morning. It doesn't seem 22 years. Kind, charitable, charismatic, beautiful. God bless the Princess of Wales, and may she rest in peace. Gone far too soon!

What a great woman and princess she was!

Princess Diana marked an era. I don't remember the day she died, because I was very young at the time, but I always heard my mother and grandmother talk about Princess Diana.
It is a pity that Diana did not know her grandchildren and could no longer follow the lives of her children, surely she would be proud of them.

Me too. Her life and struggles dawned to me when I'm already in grade school early 2000's. She was a formidable woman.

Princess Diana marked an era. I don't remember the day she died, because I was very young at the time, but I always heard my mother and grandmother talk about Princess Diana.
It is a pity that Diana did not know her grandchildren and could no longer follow the lives of her children, surely she would be proud of them.

Me too. I was born in the later '90s so I don't remember Diana at all, but my mother and aunt and other older relatives would often talk about her as well. My aunt was a particular fan of Diana and modelled her wedding dress on hers as was fashionable at the time she got married (in the mid 80s).

I do think it's especially sad that Diana never got to meet her children in-law and her grandchildren. I think she probably would've gotten on well with Catherine and Meghan, too. At least the Sussexes and Cambridges are both carrying on her legacy in an international and personal level - I remember William saying that he tells anecdotes to George and Charlotte about "Granny Diana".

Back
Top Bottom