Anniversaries of Diana's Death (and Birthday)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember getting up very early to watch the funeral coverage. The coverage was long, but indeed sad. I found it amazing on how deep the crowds were and how the world made sure to give a proper goodbye to "The People's Princess." People who laugh at the very thought of royalty was either there or tuned in.

My heart broke for both her families, but I was extremely sad at the sight of the three princes she left behind. Charles, William and Harry meant so much to her and now they had to continue on without her presence. I also remember the face on The Queen. You could tell how angry she was. She usually in very much control over her emotions, but she couldn't hide her feelings that day.

HM had a right to be angry. She was treated abominably and unfairly by both media and public.:bang:

I was angry FOR her.

HM had a right to be angry. She was treated abominably and unfairly by both media and public.:bang:

I was angry FOR her.

It was a confusing and hurtful time. Everyone was angry and everyone was expecting different things at the time. Although, the press did drummed up the anger against The Queen and rest of the royal family. I don't think the public meant to treat The Queen in that way. Again, emotions were high, people around the world were sad and angry. Also, Diana and Charles had divorced a year earlier. So those old emotions were still raw at the time.

On reflection, August 31st 1997, was a very bad day for everyone.

I don't remember the queen looking angry....

I was angry FOR her.

No she wasn't. she was not IMO very upset about Diana's death so she thought that nobody else would be upset. She has a role as the queen to show sympathy to her people when they are in grief or problems, and she didn't do anything until virtually forced to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Diana tributes pour in on Twitter on anniversary of her death | Daily Mail Online

No she wasn't. she was not IMO very upset about Diana's death so she thought that nobody else would be upset. She has a role as the queen to show sympathy to her people when they are in grief or problems, and she didn't do anything until virtually forced to do so.

Denville, The Queen always put her people first and have done so since she became Queen. On Diana's passing, The Queen put her two grandchildren first and stayed with them to give them the comfort they needed. Emotions were high that day and people didn't understand what was going on. The media exploited the public emotions and treated The Queen and Royal family badly. There was a major lack of understanding going on at the time.

The Queen and royal family were shocked and saddened over Diana's death. Despite everything, Diana was her former daughter-in-law and mother to her two grandsons. Her passing did touch her deeply.

Let's not allow our differences over past issues cloud what was a sad day for both families and the people.

Last edited by a moderator:
No matter what HM felt personally, she is a master of putting it all aside and facing the public without showing emotion. That is one reason why, when the Britannia was decommissioned, it was quite unusual to see the Queen shed a few tears.

It was a rough time for everyone as Diana's death was so unexpected and it hit like a ton of bricks and emotions were hurt and raw. It was one time out of a decades of service to her people that HM decided, and rightly so, that her grandsons came first and foremost and needed the loving support of their family around them. The people didn't need anyone to confirm what they were feeling but William and Harry needed the warm circle of love that only a family can provide during those first few days.

What we don't know and probably will never know is what HM, The Queen felt on the passing of Diana and those are private emotions that she has kept to herself.

:previous:

I agree 100%.

The SHOW US YOU CARE!!!bullying and braying by the public and press was so over the top it defied belief. Was the poor woman expected to go out and join the crowds gnashing their teeth and rending their garments?

That woman has seen it all. I think she knew an over the top spectacle when she saw it. Her priority was her grandchildren and that is as it should have been.

I do think she should have cut her holiday in Scotland short and returned to London, but the rest of it was bizarre.

She is the queen and has never shown emotion in public even at the sudden loss of her beloved father.

But that might be the crux of the problem....QEII is a traditional monarch reigning in the Age of Oprah, where the public demand for touchy feely public displays of what passes as "emotion" are mandatory.

Can we just reflect on Diana and our feelings no need to bring the Queen into it not the day for it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I remember her death/funeral. It was first time I saw photos of her other than wedding. My Nana always talked royals, but the queen and such, her family worked for the dukes of Northumberland (I think right one) for generations. My family moved a week before and no school yet, home watching tv. My personal interest in the modern BRF began with Wessex wedding, though Victoria of Sweden my 1st over all. I am only 1 year older than Will (mom up to watch 81 wedding with 3 month old hungry me) but never took much interest in him. Harry now with his military.

Although I remember seeing the news of the accident and the subsequent death on the TV, the time between then and the funeral I missed altogether as I went on a primitive camping trip without anything electronic so no way to follow what was going on. I did make it home in time to watch the funeral coverage and thinking how sweet it was that Charles walked with his sons behind the Diana's casket.

Charles also wore a dark blue suit to her funeral. It's the color she liked on him. He was very upset about her passing. I wished people would've been more sensitive to him during that time. He lost his former wife and mother if his children. My heart broke for the three princes.

:previous: Charles was touching but it was Philip who touched me. I remember hearing Harry was so upset he didn't want to walk. Philip knew his grandson would regret it so he put aside his own views of Diana to walk with his grandsons to give them support to get through it.

Anniversaries of Diana's Death

It wasn't Harry but William that didn't want to walk but his grandfather told him he would regret it if he didn't and offered to walk too.

If you look at the photos, it is Philip, William, Earl Spencer, Harry and then Charles

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't remember the Queen looking angry either. I took a look at the funeral footage only the other day. She looks solemn, nothing more, nothing less, IMHO.

I've said this before on other threads but I actually was in London on the day of Diana's funeral (and for days before.) I mixed with the crowds then and for every day before.

I heard some remarks about Charles and his behaviour towards his ex which were not pleasant, I heard people recollecting things about Diana and her charities and how lovely she was in general. I heard people stating how happy they were that the Queen was in London and she could see the grief and the flowers.

I NEVER heard, during those days, any hatred expressed towards the Queen as a person or monarch by ANYONE, in braying tones or otherwise. Nor did I hear criticism on the day of the funeral of the royal family in general. Earlier, people did want them in London, but there was no hatred expressed that I heard. In a way people were more wrapped in grief and in remembering Diana than anything else. Other things seemed irrelevant to them. That was the impression I got.

The Press had their own barrow to push and diversionary tactics were probably felt necessary by the editors of The Sun and others. After all, some papers and magazines' editors had received hate mail and death threats after Diana's death.
Some Tabloids did go on the warpath, like the Murdoch Press. Others didn't and I can't remember any of the more serious newspapers or TV current affairs shows doing so. I think many in the media kept their heads down.

Yes, as others have said, feelings were raw, but the idea that the whole British population and Press was up on their hind legs braying accusations and hatred towards the Queen and Royal Family is just not true. (Charles is excepted in this. I did hear dislike expressed towards him, and in some ways his popularity has never recovered.)

Last edited:
How sad the boys must of been today on the anniversary of her death.

LaRae

Yes it's probably so each and every August that comes round. That first year when Harry's birthday came round shortly after Diana's death, and his Aunt Sarah delivered the present his mother had chosen and wrapped must have been heartbreaking.
Next year will be the big one though. Twenty years! There will probably be a lot of reflection and remembering going on then.

I don't remember the Queen looking angry either. I took a look at the funeral footage only the other day. She looks solemn, nothing more, nothing less, IMHO.

I't.

The Press had their own barrow to push and diversionary tactics were probably felt necessary by the editors of The Sun and others. After all, some papers and magazines' editors had received hate mail and death threats after Diana's death.
Some Tabloids did go on the warpath, like the Murdoch Press. Others didn't and I can't remember any of the more serious newspapers or TV current affairs shows doing so. I think many in the media kept their heads down.

Yes, as others have said, feelings were raw, but the idea that the whole British population and Press was up on their hind legs braying accusations and hatred towards the Queen and Royal Family is just not true. (Charles is excepted in this. I did hear dislike expressed towards him, and in some ways his popularity has never recovered.)
I dont remember any one HATING anyone, not Charles or the queen. But there was not any postiive comments either.

We were on vacation at the beach. My children were quite young and were already in bed so I was watching TV when the news of the accident came. I switched to CNN and I just remember the crawl across the bottom changing from "Princess Diana Injured" to "Princess Diana Dead." It seemed surreal as we were the same age.

I dont remember any one HATING anyone, not Charles or the queen. But there was not any postiive comments either.

I remember reading and hearing a lot of hate directed at the members of the royal family and Charles in particular with even suggestions of death threats against him - including concerns that someone could even try to kill him on the way to the funeral (one of the reasons the boys were encouraged to walk as no one believed that anyone would try to kill Charles if the boys were with him).

There was a lot of hate - and still is - towards Charles in particular and the royals in general. On my last two visits to the UK I have heard comments of outright hate towards Charles and people wishing he would die - quite a few. Others are more supportive and some now admit to cringing at the way they were manipulated by the press over Diana's death and wishing they could go back to those days and ignore all the hype.

That's quite intense emotion, and I find it surprising that people would go so far as to wish him dead. However, I've known you long enough on this board not to doubt what you say, Iluvbertie. :flowers:

There was a lot of hate - and still is - towards Charles in particular and the royals in general. On my last two visits to the UK I have heard comments of outright hate towards Charles and people wishing he would die - quite a few.

certainly never heard of anyone wishing charles dead, but the mood at the time was that the RF hadn't been very kind to Diana in life, and hadn't showed up very well about her death. So it was unlikely to be postiive about them. IMO the people i have seen NOW being most hostile about Charles tend to be non british people on discussion forums...

As I said - the people I have heard these comments from are in the UK and definitely British.

It seems that the British either love or hate Charles. There doesn't seem any middle ground - from the people I have spoken to on this issue over the last two years.

Well I certainly cannot believe it is 19 yrs and as a true Dianaphile I am pleased that it is still talked about and she is remembered.. life goes on and is has really moved fast IMO but this may sound weird I think of her on these anniversaries and just reflect on the passage of time I meet her twice once when she was on the Sunshine Coast at The Big Pineapple and another when we lived in Oxford and she came to the Red Cross shop on the Banbury Rd ... she was stunning and sweet all rolled into one .... I think it is just nice to remember. Thanks for reading this ....

Last edited:
No one really wanted Charles to actually die. It's just emotions were very high at the time of Diana's tragic death. Also, she passed away during the public's bad mood over the Wales divorce.

People were too wrapped up in their own emotions and grief to even understand Charles lost his former wife and mother of his children. The man was in mourning too. He nearly lost it just going to see her body in Paris for heavens sake. That must have been a sight forever etched in his memory.

Did anyone pay attention to his face during her anniversary memorial service in 2007? He looked broken all over again.

Last edited:
I dont know anyone who thinks about Charles at all.. Mostly people are indifferent to him... as is the case with a lot of the RF. At the time of Diana's death he wasn't popular, because he had been cheating on a well loved and beautiful princess, but gradually people went back to "normal reactions". His stock went up agian and he is now generally respected by people who take an interest in the RF. Certainly in the last few years of Diana's life, most people I knew at work didn't like her at all...and wehn she died, SOME were shocked at her death, others were indifferent.

There are people who still want Charles to die - 19 years after Diana's death.

That I have heard directly from the mouths of British people as recently as this past June.

By claiming 'no one wanted Charles to die' I am effectively being called a liar and I resent that absolutely.

Last edited:

That I have heard directly from the mouths of British people as recently as this past June.

By claiming 'no one wanted Charles to die' I am effectively being called a liar and I resent that absolutely.
I find it strange, certianly, that people would say this openly to soemeone unless they felt that the person was likely to agree with them... I have seen people on other royal forums however speculalting on "is Charles goign to be King", or What if he died before Camilla " etc.. and I find that so distasteful that I left thte forum. But these were mostly non British. Of course there are unstable people who will focus hatred on public figures, and make death threats, and I daresay that did happen at the time of Diana's death but It seems very strange that ordinary people would be wishing he woudl die now so many years later and speaking of it unless among people who would agree with them.
I dont know anyone among the poeple i know in the UK who even thinks about Charles...

certainly never heard of anyone wishing charles dead, but the mood at the time was that the RF hadn't been very kind to Diana in life, and hadn't showed up very well about her death. So it was unlikely to be postiive about them. IMO the people i have seen NOW being most hostile about Charles tend to be non british people on discussion forums...

Not this non Brit poster. I admire the PoW and feel great sympathy and respect for him.

I don't 100% approve of his behavior during the Wales marriage and some of his actions since, but I think he has been a fantastic single father to the boys and he deserves a happy life now.

Anyone who actually want the man to die need to check into a hospital.

What I'm saying is that emotions were very high during Diana's death and some people were talking through their grief and pain over what happened. I honestly don't believe some of those people didn't actually wanted something to happen to Charles. Talking out of hurt and pain can cause some folks to say some crazy things.

Whoever saying this same thing now, probably are the ones that want to see William as King or just not into Charles period.

Back
Top Bottom