Anniversaries of Diana's Death (and Birthday)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
18 years.. so now there are adults who never knew her as a living Woman..

My case is boring: I woke up in the morning, turned the radio on and heard the news. Deeply shocked I watched tv with all the Breaking News and special reports. I have the same age as William and it was for me like a nightmare.

When I went to bed, the news was that there had been an accident and Diana was injured. I figured that she'd broken a leg or something like that and so wasn't worried. When I got up in the morning, I turned on CBC radio to get the news and I heard the announcer introducing a radio documentary: Death of a Princess. The really strange thing was that, although I was saddened, I wasn't truly shocked. Perhaps my reaction was rare in that way.

August 31, 1997, was my wedding day! We hadn't heard about the accident because we were at the rehearsal dinner until midnight and then went straight to bed. The next morning my mother woke me up and said, "You've got to get up and get ready. And Princess Diana died."

At 11 last night I said to Mom it was 18 years ago I was in my Cousin's Living Room, watching CNN and hoping and praying the news that came at 2 am wouldn't come. We were on our way to take me back for my second and final year in College and had stopped at Cousins in Peterbourgh to break up the trip. How on Earth I managed to not wake anyone up is still beyond me!!

As some know, I count myself among the lucky to say I met that amazing Lady. I will never forget her, nor all she did for for the Disabled Community, as well as so many others. Many have forgotten just what those first pictures of Diana shaking hands w/out gloves on w/HIV/AIDS Patients did for Educating the World you really can't catch it by touching someone w/the Disease. Those pictures did more than any of the Multi Million Awareness Campaigns ever did at the time.

She was a very special Lady who is very much missed. May she Rest in Peace.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

From The Royal Mint:

"#onthisday in 1997, Princess Diana of Wales tragically died. In 1999 The Royal Mint struck this £5 coin in memory of the Princess. It features a portrait of the Princess of Wales with the dates 1961 and 1997 and was designed by David Cornell."
https://instagram.com/p/7CuknGLS9Y/

I was in my bedroom mending something (it was morning) and my son came in to tell me that a report had come in over the radio that Diana had been in a car accident in Paris and was being taken to hospital. It wasn't long afterwards when he returned and said Diana was dead.

It was the most tremendous shock to me, Diana was so vital, so alive, that I couldn't take any of it in just then. I don't think I moved much from the TV news for the rest of the day. The world really went into mourning over the next 24 hours, and not just the English-speaking world. I still miss seeing her.

I remember Aug 31 1997 like it was yesterday but I prefer not to commemorate or even think about it.

I stick with the happier memories...her radiant smile, the good times with Prince Charles, her lovely outfits, and the early, crazy "Di-mania" days when the engagement was first announced.

At 11 last night I said to Mom it was 18 years ago I was in my Cousin's Living Room, watching CNN and hoping and praying the news that came at 2 am wouldn't come. We were on our way to take me back for my second and final year in College and had stopped at Cousins in Peterbourgh to break up the trip. How on Earth I managed to not wake anyone up is still beyond me!!

As some know, I count myself among the lucky to say I met that amazing Lady. I will never forget her, nor all she did for for the Disabled Community, as well as so many others. Many have forgotten just what those first pictures of Diana shaking hands w/out gloves on w/HIV/AIDS Patients did for Educating the World you really can't catch it by touching someone w/the Disease. Those pictures did more than any of the Multi Million Awareness Campaigns ever did at the time.

She was a very special Lady who is very much missed. May she Rest in Peace.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Your so right about when she was shaking hand with a AIDS patient she did so much good for so many people

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I remember hearing on the radio that there was a car accident in Paris and Dodi was dead and the Princess was taken to hospital with a broken collarbone. I thought this is terrible for her. And I rushed outside to tell my husband. He asked; "What's a Dodi?"' Then about an hour later the TV said she had died. And I thought how can that be! she was only slightly injured. I felt very emotional about the whole thing.

As others have mentioned - it feels so recent.
My respectful remembrance for a most special and beautiful young woman. Rest in peace, Princess.

Same here, Moonmaiden23. :flowers:
I stick with the happier memories...her radiant smile, the good times with Prince Charles, her lovely outfits, and the early, crazy "Di-mania" days when the engagement was first announced.

I watched a documentary of old Diana footage today because it had been awhile since I'd focused on her and this thread made me want to revisit.

You know what I never wondered about before, but now think is interesting? Diana's need for love and her tenderness towards her pets when she was a little girl (like her pet guinea pig) are discussed often, and are a part of the Diana story. But she as an adult never seems to have had a pet of her own. I find that interesting.

I imagine that if she were an animal lover, a rescue dog might have been a comfort to her when she was lonely.

Just a passing thought.

I think that she exchanged her caring for pets to caring for people. She had an attraction to the vulnerable--the elderly, the sick, children. When William and Harry were little, she had them to take care of. Then, when they went away to school, she was involved with her charity work and her social life. I think that she did much better when her attention was absorbed by helping other people. When she didn't have that as much, I think that's when she began kind of losing her way and getting involved with strange therapies and so on. Perhaps that's why I wasn't as shocked by her death as some others--I had the sense that she was going in a bad way and that something unfortunate was going to happen. It's hard to explain, because it was just a feeling I had.

I think that she exchanged her caring for pets to caring for people. She had an attraction to the vulnerable--the elderly, the sick, children. When William and Harry were little, she had them to take care of. Then, when they went away to school, she was involved with her charity work and her social life. I think that she did much better when her attention was absorbed by helping other people. When she didn't have that as much, I think that's when she began kind of losing her way and getting involved with strange therapies and so on. Perhaps that's why I wasn't as shocked by her death as some others--I had the sense that she was going in a bad way and that something unfortunate was going to happen. It's hard to explain, because it was just a feeling I had.

She wasn't really happy when she was in Paris and I think she even told friends that she was really looking forward to getting back home to her sons. Her whole trip to Paris was weird and odd.

I have read that as an adult Diana wasn't a great fan of cats and dogs as pets, which seems strange.

I believe Diana was attacked in the British Press in the week before she died for an interview she had done with Le Monde in which she criticised their reactions to her humanitarian efforts. She also got into trouble with the Tories by praising the Labour government stance on land mines.

Rosa Monckton later said Diana felt 'stitched up' by the furore and so postponed flying home to Britain on August 30th, instead agreeing to stay overnight in Paris with Dodi. They flew there from the Mediterranean, where they'd been cruising.

^^^I recall that Diana was unfairly blamed when Charles' old Labrador Harvey did not come to live at KP. While she may not have been a fan of dogs/cats, Harvey was apparently too old to climb stairs anymore.

I thought I read somewhere that poor old Harvey was becoming a bit incontinent inside KP and that was developing into rather a problem. However, he was rehoused quite happily I believe.

Being incontinent and unable to climb anymore would make KP a less than appealing home for Harvey. I've read that he did find a new home and spent his remaining years there.

There exists a photo of Charles actually carrying Harvey up some airplane steps...poor Harvey. Charles really loved him:sad:.

To Diana's credit she did allow the boys to have dogs while they were growing up even if she wasn't crazy about pets. I think both William and Harry are dog lovers.

Today is the 19th Anniversary of Diana's passing. May God rest and bless her soul. Also, may God continue to bless both of her families and friends as they carry on her legacy.

Last edited:
Yes Dman, nearly twenty years! I'm sure that all who loved Diana spent some time thinking of her today. Gone too soon.

Still remember hearing the news. So sad, much too young.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I also remember quite acutely how shocked I was to hear first that she'd been in a pretty serious accident in Paris and then hearing that she had died. I just kept thinking that she was too young to leave this world and thought of her two beloved sons that she would never go home to again. I still feel that the accident should never have happened and it was a senseless loss of life for all involved in the crash.

Diana was a woman that will always be remembered for not only the good she brought into this world but also serves to still remind us that we are all human with strengths and weaknesses, ups and downs and blessings and troubles and to me, most of all, to make each day count as if it could be your last.

I got the news of Diana's passing late. I was so busy with my friends that I had no clue on what happened. It's not until I turned on the news a day later (CNN or MSNBC) that I got the shocking news she had died. It felt like my whole world stopped. It's weird and stunning that, even though I never met Diana, her death had that kind of affect on me and countless others around the world.

I truly hope the royal family and Spencer's will gather together and commemorate the 20th anniversary of her passing next year in a very special way. I'm sure William and Harry are thinking of some ways of doing so.

Picture:
The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Queen Mother, Prince of Wales and Princes William and Harry on this day 1997-
https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyaleVision/status/770978738494373888

Last edited:
Since it was Labor Day weekend we were visiting the husband's family in another state...we had been out doing stuff and came home...had the TV on and the news came across (at first) that she had been injured....glued to the TV for hours after that.

Got up very early in the AM to watch her funeral. Will never forget Harry's 'mummy' card on the casket. So tragic.

LaRae

Today is the 19th Anniversary of Diana's passing. May God rest and bless her soul. Also, may God continue to bless both of her families and friends as they carry on her legacy.

I usually remember anniversaries but the Diana death was so shocking and awful that I just prefer to block it out.

Same thing with JFK Jr's July 16th death anniversary.

It seems like it was just yesterday for both of them.

Pranter,

The "Mummy" card from little Prince Harry broke my heart too!

Last edited:
I remember getting up very early to watch the funeral coverage. The coverage was long, but indeed sad. I found it amazing on how deep the crowds were and how the world made sure to give a proper goodbye to "The People's Princess." People who laugh at the very thought of royalty was either there or tuned in.

My heart broke for both her families, but I was extremely sad at the sight of the three princes she left behind. Charles, William and Harry meant so much to her and now they had to continue on without her presence. I also remember the face on The Queen. You could tell how angry she was. She usually in very much control over her emotions, but she couldn't hide her feelings that day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom