Anniversaries of Diana's Death (and Birthday)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My tribute in Loving Memory for Diana, Princess of Wales

I am surprise by the all the photos of the Princess and Prince Charles being loving to each other in your tribute.;)

Thank you. Beautiful tribute, and clearly a labor of love.

I just moved to an apartment in Virginia from my home state of Georgia. At the time I was waiting on the Cable man to install the cable but all I had was the subscription to the Roanoke times to let me know what was going on in the world. It was sunday, September 1, 1997 and I woke up and headed to the frontdoor for the Sunday paper. There on the front page in bold banner type was the news of Diana's death. All week long I added to my fix for knowledge with the USA Today. Then I found out that the last user of my apartment had never had the cable turned off. On the morning of the funeral I watched it on someone else's cable and when the cable Guy came I unplugged the cable and the TV and he installed my cable. Now by way of YouTube I have a channel and one of the playlist I have is the full BBC coverage up to the moment we see the hearse turn into her final resting place. By all means go to votebheard and watch this footage if you like.

The photo of Charles looking so sad at 1:05 or so was taken at the Queen Mother's funeral.

Sixteen journeys around the Sun since I first heard the news of the Princess's accident and then a few hours later of her death. I hope history is kind to her: she was very young, luminously beautiful, and brought a lot of hope and joy into people's lives, both in person and vicariously for those who could only read about her and see photos of her. May she rest in peace.

I'll never forget when I heard the news. I watched the coverage on CNN and I was totally shocked to hear of her passing due to an accident. I my heart went out to Charles, William, Harry and the Spencer family and royal family. To lose her life at 36 and a mother of two young boys was heartbreaking. It remains heartbreaking to know she's no longer here to see her boys grow up into nice men, to see her son marry the woman he loves and to watch her grandson grow up.

I think she was a great Princess of Wales and future Queen. Despite her personal issues, she did her duty to her country and Commonwealth. She was royal patron and president to many charities and organizations and shared a great bond with her regiments. She did so much for others and raised a great deal of awareness for very worthy causes.

The Princess of Wales wasn't a saint but she had a great heart and despite the unfair rumors and stories about her private life, I hope future generations will remember that there once was a English Princess by the name of Diana...who was loved and gave love.

By one of life's strange co incidences...When I built our house, the very first night we spent there was the night of the crash. Today we decided to sell the house. Funny how sometimes life circles around.

Seventeen years, probably to the moment, since I heard the first news of the car-crash on another sunny spring Sunday here.
Rest in peace, dear Princess.

Anniversaries of Diana's Death

Seventeen years, probably to the moment, since I heard the first news of the car-crash on another sunny spring Sunday here.
Rest in peace, dear Princess.

I remember that I had fallen asleep with the radio on and then waking up to the news report. It must've been 3 or 4 o'clock. The news reporter said very shortly that princess Diana had been in a car crash in Paris and was badly injured but nothing else. I remember thinking that if she died there would be an awful mess before I went back to sleep. When I woke up again she was dead, it was awful and it very quickly turned into a sad mess.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I remember that day very well. How could you not. I heard on the tv about the crash and that poor dear Dodi was dead and Diana had a broken collarbone. I rushed outside & told my husband about the crash,... "Dodi's dead!!" I said. Hubby asked, "What's a Dodi!!" Honestly one could knock ones head against a brick wall sometimes. Then about a half hour later they said Diana had passed away. I thought How can that be she only has a broken collarbone. Then more news filtered through the rest of the afternoon. It was so very upsetting and all anyone could talk about for a longtime afterwards.

I was vacationing but just happened to have CNN on when the "ticker" on the bottom changed from "Princess Diana injured" to "Princess Diana Dead". I was born the same year as the late princess and had young children myself, so the news hit particularly hard.

I don't understand focusing on the day someone died. I honor them by remembering their life and maybe celebrating their birthday. I lost a sister when she was only 31 years old. It was the worse day in my life- I watched her die. For many years my other sister and family had an event on the day she died. I never participated. Finally we all agreed that it was more in keeping with my sister Lisa's very full life to celebrate her birthday. There is a scholarship in her name at the university she taught at. Now on her birthday there is a performance by her students.

I say this to point out that while the Princes may not be holding a yearly public memorial for their mother, this time of year has got to be very hard on them.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

I tend to remember the day my family and friends die as a day of sadness and I do struggle on that day to be cheerful or go about doing normal things. I do, however, celebrate their lives on their birthdays with a special time of quiet remembrance and usually trying to have their favourite meal or something like that. To me both days are relevant and important especially when they are close together e.g. my mother died 5 days before her birthday.

We each do what is relevant to us and how we feel. Both or either is proper. It doesn't matter.

18 years already? Τhat time passes so quickly :sad:

It was 18 years ago, but it seems that there was less time. RIP

Yeah, Diana has been gone on for a long time now. Naturally the news of the anniversaries have died down, but her memory lives on.

May she rest in peace. But above all, may her memory remain alive, without more strenous and useless debates about her. I wish people would keep in mind that she's gone. Forever. She is not coming back a deserves respect as well as quiet.

I so remember where I was when I heard what happen- I was at the beach at Ocean City MD for Labor Day weekend and it came on the news late in the evening. I remember staying up in my hotel room watching CNN. Totally the opposite of first watching Diana at the Royal wedding getting up super early to watch it.

William is probably giving George and Charlotte an extra squeeze today.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

May she rest in peace. But above all, may her memory remain alive, without more strenous and useless debates about her. I wish people would keep in mind that she's gone. Forever. She is not coming back a deserves respect as well as quiet.

She does indeed deserve respect ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I will always remember Diana. She's really been on my mind over these last couple of years, but I know the ones who really miss her are her families and friends. I hope she's up there having a good time and looking over her family she left behind.

Yes, Diana's memory deserves respect and I hope everyone will continue to honor her memory with kind acts towards people and support charities that help those in need.

Last edited:
I was sitting at home on Saturday n:sad:ight when the first news bulletin from Paris flashed on. At first the reports were that her injuries were fairly "minor" but something told me to stay tuned. Finally very early in the AM, the tragic news came on. Like so many others I was numb with shock. It's hard to believe it's been 18 years since that awful day. It's wonderful to see her legacy being carried on not only by her sons but by many others who were and are being inspired by her. RIP, Diana.

We were in another state visiting family....we had turn the news on not long after the crash happened, the media were still saying she was alive at that point. I stayed up quite late watching....it was hard to believe.

Watched her funeral ....so sad for those boys. Harry's card 'Mummy' caused a lot of emotion.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom