The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I was nearing 8 when she died.
My mom found out at church, came home and told me, I cried and cried...
Looking back at the funeral now, the one thing that gets me sobbing more than any other is Harry's card on top of the coffin.
And I thought the music at the service was very special, perfect.
Nata, I love your graphic! Especially the pic of her in the long black dress in her drawing room!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Gentry

I was 14 years old, and I was watching some tv when the regular scheduled program got interrupted by the sad news. I was in disbelief and then told my parents who rushed to see the news on tv. VERY sad day.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Aristocracy

I was in the middle of a break-up when i heard for the first time about Diana's death. It was in the afternoon of the next day that i heard it. And of course i could not believe it as i a was a firm collector of Diana items and she was a part of my life, i could not believe that she wasn't there anymore. The following days where full with disbelieve and just confusion. Due to circumstances i had to watch the funeral in black and white.
This was a crazy period with all the media attention that followed.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by di-fan72 View Post
I was in the middle of a break-up when i heard for the first time about Diana's death. It was in the afternoon of the next day that i heard it. And of course i could not believe it as i a was a firm collector of Diana items and she was a part of my life, i could not believe that she wasn't there anymore. The following days where full with disbelieve and just confusion. Due to circumstances i had to watch the funeral in black and white.
This was a crazy period with all the media attention that followed.
I can relate to what you are saying. Even at my young age, and even though I never met her, I felt like I lost a friend.
Even more so, I think, because I am disabled, she did such good work for people in my position, raised money for us, and had an aura of acceptance, tolerance, and compassion towards us.
Plus it was just inconceivable before then to think of her dying. I mean I know she was a human being. Humans die. But she was also a princess. To an near 8 year old as I was at the time, princesses live in fairy tales, they do not die, they are immortal. Sadly ,I know ( and accept) the truth now. But I wish with all my heart she was here now. If I feel that way, I cannot imagine how Wills and Harry feel.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is so hard to believe that 14 yrs has passed. Meet heer twice once in Buderium, and the other in Oxford she was so sweet both occasions and she remarked how funny we should be seeing each other in such different parts of the world. My son who was only about 3 when we lived in Oxford, touched her face and remarked on her beautiful skin.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Where is Buderium?
How did she reply to your son's remark? So sweet to have that memory of her...
You were very fortunate to have met her!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Royal Highness

14 years ago - it's unbelieveable. I was living at home with my Mum and she was catching an overnight bus to the airport for a holiday, so I was up late watching TV and heard the whole tragic accident unfold until i was so tired and went to bed at 5am. But I couldn't sleep and my mate phoned up at 7am saying Diana had had an accident and I told him she had died so he came over in a complete state and we watched the tv all day long in tears and drinking coffee. I called my mum and she said she heard the news just as she got to the airport and was just walking around in a daze waiting for her flight.
I will never forget those dreadful days that followed and will never forget Diana, our most beautiful princess.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Aristocracy

I remember it so well. I was in Barcelona, Spain and I really don't speak spanish. I saw the newspaper photos, Diana, Dodi and some damaged Mercedes, but honestly, I really thought that Diana and Dodi got engaged, I never made the connection to the carwreck. Until I called my mother, she said; "Diana is dead!"and I said: "I don't know no Diana.". She :"The Princess.", me: "*choke*".

I ended the call and ran to find an english newspaper, there it was. I was so sad. My flight home was when the funeral was held, I did not see anything till next day, when I saw the coffin with the letter from Harry. Mommy - that was when I really had to sit down and cry a bit.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Courtier

How could I not remember this sad day.
It was in the middle of the night I woke up the exact time the accident happened and the next morning I heard it on the radio.
I was telling my boyfriend they should stop making jokes about her and he was saying "No, it's the news".
I was shocked and turned on the tv immediately.
Breakfast was over for me
Old 08-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Nobility

To my generation (I'm 34) royalist or not, her death was as defining as Kennedy's was to my parents generation. I remember exactely were I was when I heard the news. The most surreal part of that period, was at her funeral, when the Queen Mother drove to the Abbey. I remeber thinking, that there is something wrong with a 96 yo attending a funeral for a woman of 36.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

That was another surreal and eerie part of the whole thing for me.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I'm the same way. We're of the generation who "knew" Diana from when she first appeared on the world scene in 1980. She crammed so much living into those next 17 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebabs View Post
To my generation (I'm 34) royalist or not, her death was as defining as Kennedy's was to my parents generation. I remember exactely were I was when I heard the news.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Aristocracy

I had 7 years... was the afternoon in Colombia, my brother and me were with the playstation..when my mother (she was in living room) in the other Tv said: Oh! My godness! this is not possible. I stop the game and put the TV... in all the news was the Diana image! I ran with my mom at living room and She put the BBC channel... like my brother and me don't spoke English my mom traduced for our!
I remember that I could not believe this... was like nightmare! My mom adored Princess Diana, she always talked me about her at my 7 years old I loved Diana too!

I remember the funeral! all my family watched for T.V. and cried so much... We were so sad! And the image of the letter that say "Mommy" broke my heart! Always I'll have this image in my mind!

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...09453614_n.jpg
Old 08-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Aristocracy

More news about this topic (Sorry but is in Spanish)

Teléfono Rojo: Conmemorarán 14 aniversario de la muerte de Lady Di

http://www.formulatv.com/noticias/21...-divina-diana/

Divinity rinde homenaje a 'Lady Di' - Faro de Vigo

Divinity rinde homenaje a Lady Di tras 14 aos de su muerte | Heraldodesoria.es

Divinity rinde homenaje a Diana de Gales 14 años después de su muerte | megatele

Old 08-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember hearing the news and watching it announced on TV. I was sad news, must cannot recall being shocked. The day of the funeral I was embarressed more than anything else, all those people on the sidelines crying and moaning and calling out her name, and all this over someone they never really knew. Unlikely they would act the same at their own family funerals. Honestly it reminded me of the crazed fans at Elvis's funeral. All very undignified. JMO of course.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I wasn't truly shocked, either; but I was a bit sad and indeed shed a couple of tears for what "could have been" and for the heartache of her family. However, I didn't feel the overwhelming emotions that others experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I remember hearing the news and watching it announced on TV. I was sad news, must cannot recall being shocked.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Nobility

I feel the same, Mermaid. But as you said; she crammed a lot of life in to her 36 years. I just think it is a horrible way to die. I hope she didn't feel to much pain.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Aristocracy

Forever I'll miss her!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sin título-1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	279285  

Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 PM

I'm so glad that you are marking the anniversary on here, I kinf of get the feeling that a lot of people have blanked it now, but every year near August 31st I remember. I was 14, on holiday in Spain and my mums alarm clock broke and stopped at 4am which we later discovered was when Diana officially passed away. . .Such a sad day but the time for sadness has passed, we should celebrate her life now and how much she was able to achieve in 36 short years, I'm sure her boys wouldn't want us all sad. So let us raise a cyber glass in the air, to Diana Spencer, taken from us far too early, we shall never forget you, I hope you are resting in peace, Amen x x x
Old 08-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Agreed. In addition to the pain and fear, Diana died among strangers. The only person she knew on the scene was Trevor Rees-Jones, and he was in no condition to help her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebabs View Post
I just think it is a horrible way to die. I hope she didn't feel to much pain.

Tags
anniversary, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, princess diana