Anniversaries of Diana's Death (and Birthday)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 25th Wedding Aniversery

Hello everybody!Warm and blessed greetings to you all.I was wondering if anybody knows if there will be some sort of commemoration by the Royal Family and the British Realm as whole in memory of the magnificent Royal Wedding of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales and the late Diana,Princess of Wales?

maria cristina said:
Hello everybody!Warm and blessed greetings to you all.I was wondering if anybody knows if there will be some sort of commemoration by the Royal Family and the British Realm as whole in memory of the magnificent Royal Wedding of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales and the late Diana,Princess of Wales?
I am very sure there would be no commemoration by the British Royal Family in particular for the 25th wedding anniversary between HRH Prince Charles of Wales and the late Diana,Princess of Wales as she had passed away and they are officially and legally divorced.Moreover,HRH Prince Charles has remarried to Camilla Parker Bowles,the Duchess of Cornwall recently. {insults deleted - Elspeth}

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be no public commemoration I am sure because the marriage was not a success. If Diana had died while she and Charles were happily married then I think there would be some kind of commemoration.

{Response to deleted material removed - Elspeth}

The wedding itself is being re-broadcast in the United States, Maria Cristina-on the WE channel, scheduled for 3 showings on July 29, 30, and 31. I doubt Britain is planning a public commemoration, but I am sure there will be many who will remember it privately.

maria cristina said:

Hi maria cristine, it would be very unusual to celebrate a marriage that ended so disasterously. Within 6/7 years they were quietly (IMO) living separate lives, that changed when Diana made all her perceived problems public. They finally divorced 15 years after the wedding, so there is no 25 years of marriage to celebrate.

maria cristina said:

Do you know of anyone who celebrates the anniversary of a failed marriage? I don't so I would be highly surprised if anyone wishes to celebrate or commemorate such a disaster as that marriage turned out to be.

I've removed all the off-topic posts about Diana versus the Royal Family and whose fault everything was. Anyone wishing to rehash all that stuff yet again should find an existing thread to add to or start their own thread. This thread is to commemorate Diana on the anniversaries of important events in her life, and that's how it's going to stay.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Last edited:
maria cristina said:

I think that the US media is going to have some sort of special on TV I just don't know if it'll be tonight or later this week. Does anyone in the US know?

TV Special Commemorates 25th Anniversary of Wedding

This TV special has aired several times over the weekend. It is on the WE Channel and is called "You Had to Be there - The Royal Wedding" - I will watch it tonight at 7 p.m. EST I'll post how good it was - the previews looked interesting. I'm curious to see what they'll show and who they will interview.
It deserves to be remembered with a happy and nostaligic approach even though it didn't end "happily ever after." We can remember the wonderful pageantry and take a trip back in time when we believed that they would live happily ever after. I look forward to sharing this special memory with my 12 year old daughter and tell her how we were up at 5:30 a.m. to watch the momentus occasion!

ClassicRoyal said:
This TV special has aired several times over the weekend. It is on the WE Channel and is called "You Had to Be there - The Royal Wedding" - I will watch it tonight at 7 p.m. EST I'll post how good it was - the previews looked interesting. I'm curious to see what they'll show and who they will interview.
It deserves to be remembered with a happy and nostaligic approach even though it didn't end "happily ever after." We can remember the wonderful pageantry and take a trip back in time when we believed that they would live happily ever after. I look forward to sharing this special memory with my 12 year old daughter and tell her how we were up at 5:30 a.m. to watch the momentus occasion!

Yes, and for those interested, the WE Channel will be broadcasting it through August 9th. :) I watched it last night, and found it quite good.

WE Channel - 25th Anniversary Special of the Royal Wedding

I just finished watching the special and found it to be a nicely done presentation. It had various perspectives from David Emmanuel co-dress designer, Diana's make-up artist, and various other Britons that had staked out various places to be a part of the grand celebration.

It was nice to revisit such a beautiful day and all the happiness that we held for Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

Saturday morning, the CBS Saturday Early Show had a clip commemorating the anniversary and a photographer from the Sun spoke well of Diana's legacy. It, too, was nicely done. This was a special time in history that we should never forget. I will always be happy that I was a part of that day (from the U.S.). I will always hold her memory and legacy close to my heart. As her brother stated, Princess Diana was unique. I always wished the best for her and will forever hold her in high regard.

Next year will be the worst. 10 years will be played on life made generally difficult for them both.

Tell me about it Beatrixfan.I think they are going to get a lot of slack next year due to that.Do you think PC will do anything formally to mark the anniversary of her death?I personally don't think he should or has to.His life is now with Camilla.

I don't feel he should and it would only be awkward for both Charles and Camilla. If William and Harry go to a memorial service as I'm sure they will then that's their affair but personally, I would see a big national commemoration as unnessecary and insulting.

I really hope they do not have a kind of massive national commemoration next year.Imagine how it would make Charles and Camilla feel?It would just bring back all of the negative remarks and ill feelings towards PC and camilla when the public are finally accepting them.

I think Diana deserves a commemoration service and I do think she will have place not only in the British history (yes, at least as King's mother) but also in Charles's life. She was his first wife and an important part of his life.
Charles is loads better with Camilla and they are a great couple (one of my favourite couple, actually) but I don't think Diana is crossed out from their lifes, nor do I think think they (Charles, William, Harry) want that.
I would be highly disappointed though if Camilla is not present at the commemoration service along with Prince Charles, if any other member of the RF is there. Camilla is the Duchess of Cornwall and the Princess of Wales. She will not be mother of the King but she will be a Queen herself, so I think her presence is necessary.

Why on earth does she deserve a commemoration service? What did she actually do to deserve one? What did she leave us that makes her worthy of constant commemoration? If there was such an event, it would only open up old wounds and embarrass the Queen, Charles and Camilla. That woman has caused enough problems. People are finally moving on, now lets just move on and forget about it all. {Derogatory remark deleted - Elspeth}

I am just voicing my private opinion and of course, you can disagree.
I think Diana deserves a commemoration because she was the Princess of Wales, who died 10 years ago (annuversary). I didn't think any kind of commemoration was necessary. I am not saying a big, national commemoration is the option but I do think a little private one will be ok.
Yes, Diana caused a lot of trouble for the BRF and thanks God, people (most of them) are actually moving on. And still I think that a little family remeberance service would be a nice thing to do (even if it would mean to see Earl of Spencer again).
And I do think we are getting slightly off-topic, since it's British Royal Family current events.
Everyone can have their opinion, so will will just have to wait till 2007. I must add that I will support any decision of the BRF concerning the issue.

hayz64 said:
To be honest i don't really think Charles would have thought too much about what would have been his anniversary.He has Camilla now.
In fact, did he think about it at all? It has been 9 years since the divorce. Only the media brings it up for us to discuss and remember.

BeatrixFan said:
Next year will be the worst. 10 years will be played on life made generally difficult for them both.
I think the boys will be just fine. I think they have adjusted quite well and they may toast to her life instead of her death. I think it will be the press who will start any controversies.

HRH Kimetha said:
In fact, did he think about it at all? It has been 9 years since the divorce. Only the media brings it up for us to discuss and remember.
I can't imagine how anyone would expect an official statement from Clarence House. Something to the effect: "Ladies and Gentlemen of the public, the Prince of Wales would like everyone to take a moment to remember his first wife, whom he divorced one year prior to her untimely death."??
:bang:

Incas said:
I can't imagine how anyone would expect an official statement from Clarence House. Something to the effect: "Ladies and Gentlemen of the public, the Prince of Wales would like everyone to take a moment to remember his first wife, whom he divorced one year prior to her untimely death."??
:bang:

Jeez, give the Prince a little credit for being human and having a heart. They had two children together, and they shared some unique experiences-it wasn't ALL bad.

I've just deleted several more posts. Please keep this thread on topic and be considerate of other posters' feelings when expressing your opinions about whether Diana should have a memorial service next year and what form, if any, it should take, or we'll have to delete yet more posts.

Last edited:
Nine years on without Diana

Hello everyone today marks the 9 anniversary of Diana's death. I thought it would be nice if everyone whould share their memories of that day when we all learned of Diana's death.

I was fairly young at the time (12, almost 13) and I just couldn't believe it, the next day when I went to school all my classmates were just like me, in a kind of shock, we couldn't believe she was dead...
I'll always remember her as the person who held AIDS patients and african babies, the person who did campaigns against the landmines, those are the images I'll always keep of her:flowers:

I was sittting in my livingroom watching american football and the scroll came across the bottom of the TV, at first it said she was just injuried. I immediately turned to a news station and learned like everyone else that Princess Diana had died at the Hospital. At the time my son was 8 yrs old and all I could think about was William and Harry. I was so shocked, my heart just broke. I remember watching almost non-stop coverage and even got up at 4am, along with my son, to watch her funeral. I had always been fan of Diana, since I watched her wed on TV, so I really felt like I had lost a close member of my family. I remember watching the boys walk behind her and I just cried. I was really glad they didn't allow pictures of them during the service. Of course, I went right out and bought Candle in the Wind 1997. I guess, like Elvis, she is one person that we were never suppose to see grow old. I think from the experience of watching the boys be so strong, I will always consider William and Harry as boys.
I just wish that the media and the people who were suppose to be her friends would just let her rest in peace and allow her children some sense of peace in a tragedy that will be with them forever.

Last edited:
I was 7 years old when Diana died I remember waking up and seeing the car and an ambulance leaving the scene. And I remember seeing her name on t.v. and it was around 12:00 am I didn't realize that Diana passed until 7:00 am. The funeral was the most saddest occasion that I had ever seen and my heart went out to william and harry. To me at the time Diana was that pretty Princess who liked to help people.

I remember clicking on the TV and seeing a news report that she had been injured in a car accident in Paris. Soon after it was announced that she had died. I was quite shocked and surprised because it just seemed such an unexpected thing to have happened to her of all people. At the time I didn't know she had been in Paris and wondered what she was even doing there.

I had always been "neutral" in regard to Diana, and by that I mean that I did not dislike her but also had no emotional investment in her. In fact, frankly, I hadn't really regarded her as part of the Royal family for years and didn't follow her activities. Even so, I was horrified that she had died so young in such a way. I'd been under the impression that she had "moved on" in her life and had begun to forge a calmer and friendly relationship with the Prince of Wales, which I thought was such a good and healthy thing.

I remember thinking how fortunate that Prince William and Prince Harry were at Balmoral with their father and grandparents, where they could be private and not have attention right at their doorstep.

Also, I must be honest and admit (this won't make me popular I'm sure) that one of my thoughts that day and the hours immediately following was "I hope this won't ruin the celebrations for the Queen's Golden Wedding."

What a shock! My first thoughts were for her boys. I think she would be very proud of the young men they have become. I must say I was very dis-illusioned with Diana because of her choice of boyfriend. I think she could have done better. In all that was a very sad day.

its would hard to be without Diana on 9 years of her death i cant believe that and i never met her before and she really wonderful Princess and she really good caring people and kids.

when my mom watch news after Diana's death and bring her home in England im really shock about her death and i cant believe she gone at 36 years old.

im sure the native people in England will put flower at Kensington Palace her old home and also Althorp have nice pictures of Diana in her life 1981-1997 of her 15 years Princess of Wales

Having never met Diana, it is so unbelieveable that so many, including myself, were so deeply saddend by her passing and it really did feel like a personal loss to me.

Diana was just there! On the news, magazines and in newspapers. Reading about her was something you expected to do and for many of us, it was something we enjoyed and looked forward too.

I think I will always miss Diana. Her smile, warmth and sincerity. She was a lady who had crossed troubled waters in both childhood and adult life and had come through the other side, or had at least started too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom