The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Royal Highness

Wow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlast
I remember waiting in the rain for her to emerge from a luncheon. She was about to get into the limousine when one of the four women who had stayed with me when everyone had left, shouted out " Princess Diana, we have something for your boys. " That was all she needed to hear to stop her in her tracks. She gave her pocketbook to her lady in waiting and came over. I can still remember looking into her eyes and hearing her say " thank you for staying. It is very nice to meet you. " I can remember her reaching to shake my outstretched hand. My life has never been the same.

WOW!! You met her!! How lucky you are to have met her and see her for yourself.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
What I thought of was, if they had buried her at Althorp where people could visit, it would be a little like Graceland.

And Earl Spencer was concerned that placing her in the church crypt with their father and ancestors would have placed a huge burden on the people in the village and the church. (And think of the security precautions that would have to be taken.)

It was probably a reasonable thing to do.
Personally I think her being buried at Althorp must make it difficult for William & Harry to visit. Especially during the months the estate is open to the public. I don't think they are close to their uncle and, besides that, the security would be nightmarish. I think it would have been much more appropriate for her to have been buried at Frogmore which is private and where they could go without the public & security problems. Either that or the crypt in St Georges Chapel which is open to the public anyway but there are times when Windsor Castle is not open & they could go there freely.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
Personally I think her being buried at Althorp must make it difficult for William & Harry to visit. Especially during the months the estate is open to the public. I don't think they are close to their uncle and, besides that, the security would be nightmarish. I think it would have been much more appropriate for her to have been buried at Frogmore which is private and where they could go without the public & security problems. Either that or the crypt in St Georges Chapel which is open to the public anyway but there are times when Windsor Castle is not open & they could go there freely.
It is an interesting thought Wymanda, but IMO neither the Queen nor the Spencers wanted her buried at a royal site. Although Diana is the mother of a future king, I don't think for one minute the Queen would have her in St. George's Chapel with her beloved father, mother, sister, and other royals. Diana was no longer a royal to the Windsors at the time of her death. The Queen would not put Diana in such a "sacred" place as her beloved father.

It is deplorable that William and Harry cannot visit their Mother as much as they might wish to due to their relations with their uncle and the estate being opened for a couple of months each year. Earl Spencer does not have the monopoly on Diana as he would like to think and I think he has been shameful in her exploitation.

However with all that being said, I still think Althorp is the best site for Diana to be buried at right now. She is in a place that she loved and no prying eyes can get onto that little island or look from the sky and snap endless photos.
When William becomes King, I think things will change.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Gentry

Another thing to consider, is where would Diana have wanted to rest? I doubt she would have wanted to be with the Royals.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
but IMO neither the Queen nor the Spencers wanted her buried at a royal site. Although Diana is the mother of a future king, I don't think for one minute the Queen would have her in St. George's Chapel with her beloved father, mother, sister, and other royals. Diana was no longer a royal to the Windsors at the time of her death. The Queen would not put Diana in such a "sacred" place as her beloved father.
I think I remember reading somewhere that the Queen wanted Diana buried at Frogmore, but Diana's brother insisted on Althorp.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Rip?

Quote:
However with all that being said, I still think Althorp is the best site for Diana to be buried at right now. She is in a place that she loved and no prying eyes can get onto that little island or look from the sky and snap endless photos.
When William becomes King, I think things will change.
Perhaps it's better if she is just left where she is. I wouldn't imagine the Spencer family being keen on her removal from the family estate, and the prospect of an exhumation and reburial (at Frogmore or St Georges) would verge on the macabre. Maybe the phrase "rest in peace" should mean just that.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by una
I think I remember reading somewhere that the Queen wanted Diana buried at Frogmore, but Diana's brother insisted on Althorp.
I read this was not true. The Queen did not take a position on where Diana should be buried, believing it was a matter for the Spencers to decide, provided Prince William didn't object, which he did not.

Both Prince William and Prince Harry have visited the burial site at Althorp privately and are free to do so anytime they wish. From what I understand, however, the rest of the royal family is not welcome.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Although Diana is the mother of a future king, I don't think for one minute the Queen would have her in St. George's Chapel with her beloved father, mother, sister, and other royals. Diana was no longer a royal to the Windsors at the time of her death. The Queen would not put Diana in such a "sacred" place as her beloved father.
There is no evidence to indicate the Queen would have had any objection to Diana being buried at Frogmore with a service at St. George's Chapel, which is actually what she would have been entitled to under protocol even if she had still been married to Prince Charles. She had no right to a semi-state occasion at Westminster Abbey, which was granted by the Queen and the Prime Minister after it was clear the public would demand suitable honours for the mother of a future king.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
There is no evidence to indicate the Queen would have had any objection to Diana being buried at Frogmore with a service at St. George's Chapel, which is actually what she would have been entitled to under protocol even if she had still been married to Prince Charles. She had no right to a semi-state occasion at Westminster Abbey, which was granted by the Queen and the Prime Minister after it was clear the public would demand suitable honours for the mother of a future king.
She deserved that funeral, if not under Royal Protocol, but for what she had accomplished in her short life and being William and Harry's Mum!.

Sometimes Royal Protocol is not the answer to everything! That is what the House of Windsor fails to realize.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
I don't know that Diana would have given it much thought, given that she was so young. But we all know how intensely proud she was of her Spencer heritage. At the end I'm not sure how reconciled she was with the Windsors; at times she seemed to feel that the Windsors were her enemies. Would she have wanted to rest among those people?

As for her children, I'm sure Earl Spencer would let them visit when they wished. (Obviously, not during the days in July and August when visitors are.)

But the boys' opportunities for visiting would have been limited anyway, by the fact that they were away in school or travelling soon after Diana's death. (I think that most children in mourning would tend to visit more right after the death.)
Old 08-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
She deserved that funeral, if not under Royal Protocol, but for what she had accomplished in her short life and being William and Harry's Mum!.
and that was why she had the funeral she did!

Quote:
Sometimes Royal Protocol is not the answer to everything! That is what the House of Windsor fails to realize.
I dont think they "fail to realise" at all tiaraprin. The Queen is required to take advise and what she wants to do may not always be what is advised. I think in the case of Diana's funeral she listened to Blair and her other advisors as well as the wishes of Charles & her grandsons and, on that basis, made the decision to allow a semi-state funeral for Diana. It was such a shame that Earl Spencer had to spoil the ocassion with his obnoxious retoric. IMTS, you don't verbally attack your godmother, whether she be Queen or Commoner, in church on such an ocassion. IMO it was highly inappropriate and just shows what a cretin the man is!!
Old 08-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
and that was why she had the funeral she did!

I dont think they "fail to realise" at all tiaraprin. The Queen is required to take advise and what she wants to do may not always be what is advised. I think in the case of Diana's funeral she listened to Blair and her other advisors as well as the wishes of Charles & her grandsons and, on that basis, made the decision to allow a semi-state funeral for Diana. It was such a shame that Earl Spencer had to spoil the ocassion with his obnoxious retoric. IMTS, you don't verbally attack your godmother, whether she be Queen or Commoner, in church on such an ocassion. IMO it was highly inappropriate and just shows what a cretin the man is!!
In my post, I do not defend Earl Spencer or even mention him for that matter. Yes, the Earl Spencer is a cretin who is profiting from his sister's legacy. He has a line of furniture in upscale American Stores based on Althorp furniture and certain pieces are copies of Diana's right down to her etching her initials?? AND why did he do it?? To pay for all new plumbing at Althorp!! He sold out his sister for new plumbing!! It is quite bad enough that he shows her wedding dress at Althorp when she wanted it in the British Museum, but to design furniture to get plumbing?? You would think he gets enough money from his Althorp exhibition!!

I would just love to go to Althorp to see where Diana spent part of her life. I don't need his side show antics.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Aristocracy

Rest in pease Diana! I'am 2 years older than Diana! I was in the hospital when she was died! I never forget Princess Diana I love het to much! I have still grieve because she is dead, I have it still difficult if I see her on television! Princess Diana you are forever in my heart, I will never forget you!
Old 08-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Royal Highness

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafan
Rest in pease Diana! I'am 2 years older than Diana! I was in the hospital when she was died! I never forget Princess Diana I love het to much! I have still grieve because she is dead, I have it still difficult if I see her on television! Princess Diana you are forever in my heart, I will never forget you!
Thank you for sharing your heartfelt feelings Dianafan.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Courtier

Umm well, what I can remember back to Aug 30th(pacific time in Seattle) and Aug 31th(in Paris Time ) I think it was saturday.. IN france Morning on Aug 31th. .Before it happened I went to nap for while and wake up from long nap I believe I wake up about 3 pm to 4 pm ( pacific time)on Aug 30th (in paris time is Aug 31th about 4 am) And turn on tv saw the wreck the car. I wonder who is involved in??? i was curious and found out it was Princess Diana and I immediately called to my sister and other friends about news.. In few Minutes later it was annocement that Princess Diana had died.. I was very shocked I can't believe it why it let happened.. I watched tv long night about 3 hours I think I can't remember. go reply all day and night... next day. Aug 31th (again pacific time) I went to see my sister and little cry about the news... anyway later the week until the funeral I had to get up early about 1 am to watch the tv for funeral of Diana.. I did cry... oh boy... ....

Karla
Old 08-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

On 31 th of august 1997 we were on the boat of my parents and we were just eating breakfast . The radio was on and the they told us that princess diana was killed in a carcrash in paris. well , i was shocked because my sister and i liked that princess a lot and could,t believe that it happend. The whole week we saw crying people at kensington palace laying flowers there. I got goosbumps all over my body
It was very strange to see that palace again on tv, because in 1996 on 31 th of august i was in london with my ( now ex) boyfriend and making pictures of kensington palace.???!!!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla64
Umm well, what I can remember back to Aug 30th(pacific time in Seattle) and Aug 31th(in Paris Time ) I think it was saturday.. IN france Morning on Aug 31th. .Before it happened I went to nap for while and wake up from long nap I believe I wake up about 3 pm to 4 pm ( pacific time)on Aug 30th (in paris time is Aug 31th about 4 am) And turn on tv saw the wreck the car. I wonder who is involved in??? i was curious and found out it was Princess Diana and I immediately called to my sister and other friends about news.. In few Minutes later it was annocement that Princess Diana had died.. I was very shocked I can't believe it why it let happened.. I watched tv long night about 3 hours I think I can't remember. go reply all day and night... next day. Aug 31th (again pacific time) I went to see my sister and little cry about the news... anyway later the week until the funeral I had to get up early about 1 am to watch the tv for funeral of Diana.. I did cry... oh boy... ....

Karla
Yes we all cried at the funeral, I cried so hard I couldn't see for a couple of days. My eyes were so red, irritated, and puffy. Watching William and Harry marching behind their Mother's coffin broke my heart into millions of pieces. How I felt for those boys that day. I still worry about them now.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Ah, you're just an old softie, Tiaraprin.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Ah, you're just an old softie, Tiaraprin.
When it comes to Diana and her boys, yes I most certainly am!:)
Old 08-24-2005, 07:38 AM
Heir Apparent

A live size sculpture of the late Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed stands at the Bronze age foundry in London, 24 August 2005. Sculpted by artist and artistic advisor to Harrods, Bill Mitchell, "Innocent Victims" is a portrayal of the late Princess of Wales dancing with her lover Dodi Al Fayed. Diana and Dodi, who died in a 1997 car crash in Paris, have been commissioned by Dodi's father, Harrod's owner, Mohammed Al-Fayed. The two sculptures will be erected at Harrods and in Paris in due course, a press release from Harrod's said

From getty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53455917.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	184543   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	184544   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg