Anniversaries of Diana's Death (and Birthday)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank You for Sharing Your Thoughts and Feelings!

I want to thank everyone who has come and shared their heartfelt feelings and thoughts. I have truly been moved to tears by some of these posts, especially Squidgy's. Thank you Squidgy for your compliment.

It has been 8 years, but for many of us the pain still lingers. We still hurt. We often don't have the chance to unburden ourselves of the myriad of emotions that swirl within us around Diana's tragic death.

I want to take a moment to speak about the momentous work that Diana began shortly before her death in tackling the issue of landmines. This was and still is a truly worthy cause and Diana brought this issue to light worldwide.

Her visit to Angola was truly inspiring. She did not let fear prevent her from going out into the fields where active landmines still remained. She visited the injured and dying of these horrible devices. She gave all the people of Angola and the world hope. If she had lived, I wonder how much more would have been done to stop this scourge on humanity.

This was never a political issue for Diana. As she had often said, she was not a political animal. Diana was a humanitarian. Diana wanted to help people.

I was thirteen when Diana died; but at the time of her death I did not know a great deal about her.

I was woke up on the Sunday morning by my mother, who was very upset because she admired Diana a lot, and had taken an interest in her since the 1980s. I can remember watching her coffin being brought from Paris by Charles and her sisters, and watching live footage, and her funeral on TV. I can remember feeling so sorry for William and Harry, who are around the same age as me; and being astonished at how brave they were at handling such a tragic situation.

It was following Diana's death and after reading newspaper articles that I began buying and reading royalty-related books, and my interest in royalty stemmed from that really.

I have since visited Althorp on two occasions. It was so lovely to get the opportunity to go!

Nichola said:
I was thirteen when Diana died; but at the time of her death I did not know a great deal about her.

I was woke up on the Sunday morning by my mother, who was very upset because she admired Diana a lot, and had taken an interest in her since the 1980s. I can remember watching her coffin being brought from Paris by Charles and her sisters, and watching live footage, and her funeral on TV. I can remember feeling so sorry for William and Harry, who are around the same age as me; and being astonished at how brave they were at handling such a tragic situation.

It was following Diana's death and after reading newspaper articles that I began buying and reading royalty-related books, and my interest in royalty stemmed from that really.

I have since visited Althorp on two occasions. It was so lovely to get the opportunity to go!

I am quite happy that you have been able to see Althorp not once but twice!!. If you have an opportunity, you must Private Message me and tell me about it. I haven't had the good fortune to get to England yet in my life!:( :( :(

I like to go Althorp see Diana's life and see her tomb where she buried i told my mom about that! and i told my mom i would like go England again for my vacation but im really love that England very much!

if you like see Althorp http://www.althorp.com/diana-a-celebration/

Sara Boyce

sara1981 said:
I like to go Althorp see Diana's life and see her tomb where she buried i told my mom about that! and i told my mom i would like go England again for my vacation but im really love that England very much!

if you like see Althorp http://www.althorp.com/diana-a-celebration/

Sara Boyce

Sara, you wouldn't see her tomb. They buried her on the island, and you can't see it from the shore of the lake. (I don't think they even gave her a marker there.)

But there's a temple at the side of the lake where you can leave your flowers and trinkets.

I would like to see the stable where Earl Spencer set up his museum. It seems like he has a lot of her everyday suits, and of course the WEDDING DRESS.

Well here is the way I found out. Most of my family were in the family room. It was about 20-30 minutes after watching Saturday Night Live. I was on the floor and my mom was doing my hair. ANd then the music that NBC plays comes on that signals breaking news. And I go "oh no, who died now" Little did I know it woudl be Princess Diana. I never was interested in her seriously b/f. But, I remember it was Brian WIlliams who brought the news. At first he said that she had sustained injuries, but was likely to recover. But then shortly after that he said that there were reports that she was dad. But it was shocking. I watched the funeral. I remember the beautiful music and Prince William marching behind his mum's coffin with his head down. I remember b/f they entered the abbey, that a whole bunch of ppl who had been touched by Diana's charity marched behind the princes. I also remember the Queen bowing her head as the coffin passed and the other royals scurring to bow their heads. I was only 13, so I did not know what all this meant. I also heard the commentary from the news ppl that said that camilla was probably watching and felt very sorry. As I look upon that today, I feel they shoudl not have mentioned her. Anyway, I remember the Earl's speech and of course Elton John. And also so many flowers. ALso I remember (b/f the funeral) when the RF including WIlliam and Harry, came out to isnpect the flowerrs nad greet the ppl. They were trying their best to not cry. But with Harry, he looked so small liek a little mouse. Ok, these are my recollections.

I was gone all day so didn't know until I arrived back home that she had died. My phone was ringing and as I picked it up my husband turned on the T.V. My mother had been calling me to tell me. Frankly I didn't understand my feelings at all so I ended up locking myself in the bathroom. I was devistated like I had lost a friend. Except that I had never met her nor even seen her in real life. I guess it's because she had been a part of my life for so long. I wanted so much to go to her funeral, but being several months pregnant I let my husband and father talk me out of it. If I had to do it again, I would go.

I became interested in Diana because of the wedding. I woke up with everyone else at 3A.M. to watch it. Soon after, I found my first book on Diana and never looked back. Over the years my collection has grown by leaps and at one point I actually took a second job just for money to buy books etc. with. I still enjoy buying things to add to my collection, but it has not been the same since her death. She was the magic for me, as silly as that sounds. I did end up going to Paris right after her death and drove the same route she took. Here are two pics of the tunnel.

On a side note, Diana: A Celebration will be going to Houston this fall and Dayton next year. From the reports I have heard it is an amazing collection which includes her wedding dress. You can find more information here: http://www.dianacelebration.com/about.htm.

Last edited:
I am so happy to see so many people keeping the memory of Diana alive..........It's basically all we can do as she has left this world and gone onto the next one. I understand everyone's grief and continuing send of loss. I'm quite certain she would have passed away from blood loss due to the gash on one of her thighs and the lengthy time it took for the ambulance to bring her to the emergency ward; whether she had other injuries or not.

Alicky said:
I must have been around ten when she died. I was sitting under the tree by our old kitchen window when my sister came out and bluntly said that Princess Diana was dead. I honestly cannot remember a single thing about Diana before she died, I mean, I knew who she was when my sister told me and was shocked, but I have no memory of seeing her on the news or in a magazine when she was alive. I guess I was too young to be too aware of it. But I know that I knew who she was when I found out she died, I asked my sister if she was lying and she said: "Nope."

I was far older than that, I had been so lucky to c her in person on her wed day, she looked splendid and so happy ! PS- some English ppl told me police shove away the flowers 1 puts in front of Kensington Palace entrance, soon after ppl go away, I wonder why, these ppl think it's a wish of Prince Charles and QEII, who want ppl to forget Diana, if true, it's a real shame. What is true is that 2 years ago, I was there at Kensington Palace entrance on Sept 1, but I could c no flowers for Diana.

I think I was like Queen Mother. I truly felt like I had lost a friend. Even today I think it's so sad that we don't know what kind of new fashions she's wearing, what kind of trouble she's getting into, what fun she's having with her children...

I have a huge Royal Family collection that I've been building since about 1972, going back all the way to Victoria. But I won't buy anything Charles and Camilla. I guess I'll deal with that situation, but I just don't want reminders of it in my house (aside from my addictions, the magazines Royalty and Majesty). I haven't decided what I'll do if Charles is crowned -- but I'll go crazy for William's and Harry's weddings, etc.

iowabelle said:
I think I was like Queen Mother. I truly felt like I had lost a friend. Even today I think it's so sad that we don't know what kind of new fashions she's wearing, what kind of trouble she's getting into, what fun she's having with her children...

I have a huge Royal Family collection that I've been building since about 1972, going back all the way to Victoria. But I won't buy anything Charles and Camilla. I guess I'll deal with that situation, but I just don't want reminders of it in my house (aside from my addictions, the magazines Royalty and Majesty). I haven't decided what I'll do if Charles is crowned -- but I'll go crazy for William's and Harry's weddings, etc.

i going with you!

because im not big fans of Camilla! but im still big fans of Diana and William because i wont buy collection of Camilla! but i wanted to remind of Diana very much!

Sara Boyce

What do you guys think of her grave? Do you think it is suitable? It is kind of sad cuz she is all alone on that grave. I kind of think that maybe years from now they will put her in a royal tomb. Maybe WIlliam will see to that or maybe it is best to leave the grave alone.

Reina said:
What do you guys think of her grave? Do you think it is suitable? It is kind of sad cuz she is all alone on that grave. I kind of think that maybe years from now they will put her in a royal tomb. Maybe WIlliam will see to that or maybe it is best to leave the grave alone.

For now, I think it is suitable. She is where no one can bother her anymore. I think being buried on that small island in the middle of that lake is beautiful. With no marker, no one can fly over Althorp and take tabloid pics of her grave site. It is disgusting what those evil people will do to make money!

Anywhere Diana could have been publicly buried, it would be a madhouse!! As much as I would want to pay my respects to her, I can understand not having her grave look like Jim Morrison's in France. That is just too crazy. (Also not that Jim Morrison can be compared to Diana!)

I really don't care where her grave is, I just hope and pray that where ever she is, she is happy.That woman deserves all the heavens and more.May God rest her soul in peace.:):):)

Reina said:
What do you guys think of her grave? Do you think it is suitable? It is kind of sad cuz she is all alone on that grave. I kind of think that maybe years from now they will put her in a royal tomb. Maybe WIlliam

I think it's a peaceful place, not sad. When Diana and her brother Charles were younger, they used to play on that island (when they came to visit their grandparents, since they didn't live there until much later). It was also where the Spencer children buried their pets, so she isn't really all alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
polop said:
I really don't care where her grave is, I just hope and pray that where ever she is, she is happy.That woman deserves all the heavens and more.May God rest her soul in peace.:):):)

That is what all of us wish for here!!

Reina said:
What do you guys think of her grave? Do you think it is suitable? It is kind of sad cuz she is all alone on that grave. I kind of think that maybe years from now they will put her in a royal tomb. Maybe WIlliam

I think it's a peaceful place, not sad. When Diana and her brother Charles were younger, they used to play on that island (when they came to visit their grandparents, since they didn't live there until much later). It was also where the Spencer children buried their pets, so she isn't really all alone.

I wonder if Diana's beloved guinea pig, Peanuts, is buried up there? She won a prize for him at a school pet contest!!

Yeah you guys are right, especially with not having a marked grave. I never thought of that. Thanks.

What I thought of was, if they had buried her at Althorp where people could visit, it would be a little like Graceland.

And Earl Spencer was concerned that placing her in the church crypt with their father and ancestors would have placed a huge burden on the people in the village and the church. (And think of the security precautions that would have to be taken.)

It was probably a reasonable thing to do.

Thank You Alicky!!

I want to send out a great big thank you to Alicky for helping me get my Diana pics together in my profile. Alicky has been kind of enough to do it for me because I am a dork with paint programs on computers and my paint program is old. Thanks to Alicky for helping a Diana fan!!!:) :) :)

I remember waiting in the rain for her to emerge from a luncheon. She was about to get into the limousine when one of the four women who had stayed with me when everyone had left, shouted out " Princess Diana, we have something for your boys. " That was all she needed to hear to stop her in her tracks. She gave her pocketbook to her lady in waiting and came over. I can still remember looking into her eyes and hearing her say " thank you for staying. It is very nice to meet you. " I can remember her reaching to shake my outstretched hand. My life has never been the same.

Wow!!

nlast said:
I remember waiting in the rain for her to emerge from a luncheon. She was about to get into the limousine when one of the four women who had stayed with me when everyone had left, shouted out " Princess Diana, we have something for your boys. " That was all she needed to hear to stop her in her tracks. She gave her pocketbook to her lady in waiting and came over. I can still remember looking into her eyes and hearing her say " thank you for staying. It is very nice to meet you. " I can remember her reaching to shake my outstretched hand. My life has never been the same.

WOW!! You met her!! How lucky you are to have met her and see her for yourself.

iowabelle said:
What I thought of was, if they had buried her at Althorp where people could visit, it would be a little like Graceland.

And Earl Spencer was concerned that placing her in the church crypt with their father and ancestors would have placed a huge burden on the people in the village and the church. (And think of the security precautions that would have to be taken.)

It was probably a reasonable thing to do.

Personally I think her being buried at Althorp must make it difficult for William & Harry to visit. Especially during the months the estate is open to the public. I don't think they are close to their uncle and, besides that, the security would be nightmarish. I think it would have been much more appropriate for her to have been buried at Frogmore which is private and where they could go without the public & security problems. Either that or the crypt in St Georges Chapel which is open to the public anyway but there are times when Windsor Castle is not open & they could go there freely.

wymanda said:
Personally I think her being buried at Althorp must make it difficult for William & Harry to visit. Especially during the months the estate is open to the public. I don't think they are close to their uncle and, besides that, the security would be nightmarish. I think it would have been much more appropriate for her to have been buried at Frogmore which is private and where they could go without the public & security problems. Either that or the crypt in St Georges Chapel which is open to the public anyway but there are times when Windsor Castle is not open & they could go there freely.

It is an interesting thought Wymanda, but IMO neither the Queen nor the Spencers wanted her buried at a royal site. Although Diana is the mother of a future king, I don't think for one minute the Queen would have her in St. George's Chapel with her beloved father, mother, sister, and other royals. Diana was no longer a royal to the Windsors at the time of her death. The Queen would not put Diana in such a "sacred" place as her beloved father.

It is deplorable that William and Harry cannot visit their Mother as much as they might wish to due to their relations with their uncle and the estate being opened for a couple of months each year. Earl Spencer does not have the monopoly on Diana as he would like to think and I think he has been shameful in her exploitation.

However with all that being said, I still think Althorp is the best site for Diana to be buried at right now. She is in a place that she loved and no prying eyes can get onto that little island or look from the sky and snap endless photos.
When William becomes King, I think things will change.

Another thing to consider, is where would Diana have wanted to rest? I doubt she would have wanted to be with the Royals.

tiaraprin said:
but IMO neither the Queen nor the Spencers wanted her buried at a royal site. Although Diana is the mother of a future king, I don't think for one minute the Queen would have her in St. George's Chapel with her beloved father, mother, sister, and other royals. Diana was no longer a royal to the Windsors at the time of her death. The Queen would not put Diana in such a "sacred" place as her beloved father.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Queen wanted Diana buried at Frogmore, but Diana's brother insisted on Althorp.

Rip?

tiaraprin said:
However with all that being said, I still think Althorp is the best site for Diana to be buried at right now. She is in a place that she loved and no prying eyes can get onto that little island or look from the sky and snap endless photos.
When William becomes King, I think things will change.
Perhaps it's better if she is just left where she is. I wouldn't imagine the Spencer family being keen on her removal from the family estate, and the prospect of an exhumation and reburial (at Frogmore or St Georges) would verge on the macabre. Maybe the phrase "rest in peace" should mean just that.

una said:
I think I remember reading somewhere that the Queen wanted Diana buried at Frogmore, but Diana's brother insisted on Althorp.

I read this was not true. The Queen did not take a position on where Diana should be buried, believing it was a matter for the Spencers to decide, provided Prince William didn't object, which he did not.

Both Prince William and Prince Harry have visited the burial site at Althorp privately and are free to do so anytime they wish. From what I understand, however, the rest of the royal family is not welcome.

tiaraprin said:
Although Diana is the mother of a future king, I don't think for one minute the Queen would have her in St. George's Chapel with her beloved father, mother, sister, and other royals. Diana was no longer a royal to the Windsors at the time of her death. The Queen would not put Diana in such a "sacred" place as her beloved father.

There is no evidence to indicate the Queen would have had any objection to Diana being buried at Frogmore with a service at St. George's Chapel, which is actually what she would have been entitled to under protocol even if she had still been married to Prince Charles. She had no right to a semi-state occasion at Westminster Abbey, which was granted by the Queen and the Prime Minister after it was clear the public would demand suitable honours for the mother of a future king.

branchg said:
There is no evidence to indicate the Queen would have had any objection to Diana being buried at Frogmore with a service at St. George's Chapel, which is actually what she would have been entitled to under protocol even if she had still been married to Prince Charles. She had no right to a semi-state occasion at Westminster Abbey, which was granted by the Queen and the Prime Minister after it was clear the public would demand suitable honours for the mother of a future king.

She deserved that funeral, if not under Royal Protocol, but for what she had accomplished in her short life and being William and Harry's Mum!.

Sometimes Royal Protocol is not the answer to everything! That is what the House of Windsor fails to realize.

wymanda said:

I don't know that Diana would have given it much thought, given that she was so young. But we all know how intensely proud she was of her Spencer heritage. At the end I'm not sure how reconciled she was with the Windsors; at times she seemed to feel that the Windsors were her enemies. Would she have wanted to rest among those people?

As for her children, I'm sure Earl Spencer would let them visit when they wished. (Obviously, not during the days in July and August when visitors are.)

But the boys' opportunities for visiting would have been limited anyway, by the fact that they were away in school or travelling soon after Diana's death. (I think that most children in mourning would tend to visit more right after the death.)

Back
Top Bottom