The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #361  
Old 09-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I don't know anyone personally who's interested in the British royal family.
Other than here at TRF, I have one friend that is interested in royalty and she's more interested in the Danish royal family but does follow the British royal family. Other than her, I know of absolutely no one else that has any kind of an interest at all.

So, Americans either don't really care or they're all here on TRF. Yeps... that sounds about right.
__________________

__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 09-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Other than here at TRF, I have one friend that is interested in royalty and she's more interested in the Danish royal family but does follow the British royal family. Other than her, I know of absolutely no one else that has any kind of an interest at all.

So, Americans either don't really care or they're all here on TRF. Yeps... that sounds about right.
The thing is some Americans pretend they're not interested in the BRF, but when The Queen used to make State Visits to America or if there's a major Royal event (funeral or wedding) in the UK, there's usually a very healthy welcome and a big American viewing.

Diana was a beloved public figure around the world.
__________________

__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 09-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: many places, United States
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The thing is some Americans pretend they're not interested in the BRF, but when The Queen used to make State Visits to America or if there's a major Royal event (funeral or wedding) in the UK, there's usually a very healthy welcome and a big American viewing.
Of course, and when the Queen did make her State visits to USA, we were given free passes to attend if we could for different events from our clubs or state governments. Same invitations went out when Dutch and Spanish Royals were here. Lovely outings with best dress [depending if evening or afternoon walk-about] but we did for many people, not just Royals. Part of the show. Certainly didn't mean that we adored the guest. Part of jobs or demands of organizations. I remember studying facts on a guest the weeks before so I would know a few truths if required in conversation. Remember PR is a great thing in the media. It can make or break anyone when and if it wants to. That is just life.
__________________
Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet shed on the heel that crushed it - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 09-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,415
The queen always interests us. But the other royals, even Will and Kate are not exciting for people here. There will be those to come out to see them when in Canada but many will be old or because they want to see a celebrity. For many of the people born in the last thirty years, royals are just celebrities. I remember going to work the day of the royal wedding and only a few people knew there had been one and no one had woken in to watch. I asked my teenage niece who is about the age I was when i got interested who Kate was she might ask me if she was in Disney and remind me she hasn't watched those in years.

I admit even when in the uk I was not one to go watch a parade or go see a royal visit. I preferred the historical royal sites.
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old 09-04-2016, 02:22 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually, I disagree. Americans that do take an interest are more apt to go beyond the tabloid stories and the media hype of "saint" Diana and from various reputable sources and forums such as this one, get a more clear and concise background into both Charles and Diana and realize that when it came to the marriage, both were at fault and both caused the downfall of the marriage overall.

Just an odd question here. Which Americans are you basing your opinion on? Was there a poll? An American based media article? Or are you pulling this opinion out of a hat? Just curious.
Im talking about the forum I used to be on, which problaby mostly had American "active members" (and some other non British).
Not all were pro Diana of course, (of the Americans I mean).
A few didn't like her, some liked her but didn't idolise her.. Some had liked her a lot, but had grown more even handed in how they viewed the marriage.. However, there weren't many british that I know of, on the Forum, at least not active posters.. and by and large, the forum's members who were very much Pro Diana and anti Charles, were dominant.. To the point where people like myself who liked her but didn't idolise her, often left..
And on other places on the internet, where discussions may crop up about the RF, I've noticed the same thng, that its largely Americans who are very much pro Diana.. (to an extreme degree).
And when I see TV programmes about the RF, I can see that a lot of these were rather slanted toward Di and against Charles, and of course Americans are likely to see these as their first impressions of the Charles and Di situation or the RF... And first impressions tend to stick.
So while I'm not saying that All americans are "extremely pro Diana" (most of them aren't at all interested in British affairs and no reason why they should be) I do believe that the most extreme Pro dianaists on the Internet seem to be American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Of course, and when the Queen did make her State visits to USA, we were given free passes to attend if we could for different events from our clubs or state governments. Same invitations went out when Dutch and Spanish Royals were here. Lovely outings with best dress [depending if evening or afternoon walk-about] but we did for many people, not just Royals. Part of the show. Certainly didn't mean that we adored the guest. Part of jobs or demands of organizations. I remember studying facts on a guest the weeks before so I would know a few truths if required in conversation. Remember PR is a great thing in the media. It can make or break anyone when and if it wants to. That is just life.
Who were given free passes? I think that certainly a fair few Americans are interested n Royalty because it is something they don't have.. just as often Westerns are popular in the UK because - they don't have a Wild West... more so than they were in the US after a certain time.
Of course lots of people are not interested in the slightest, but again from what I've seen, from Friends who visited America at the time of the Will and Kate wedding, a lot of Americans were much more keen ot see it than people in the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 09-04-2016, 02:55 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,194
I think it really depends on who you talk to. I've been to the US several times, East Coast, West Coast and places in between and I have to say, as an Australian, the Royal Family didn't come up as a topic of conversation at all on any visit, (though some Americans were surprised that the Union Jack was on the Aussie flag pin that I wore.)

The one exception didn't happen to me but to a friend who was staying at an apartment in LA the month that Diana died. People had got to know her a bit by sight, and I can remember her telling me at the time that about twenty or more different people came up to her in the days after the news came through, saying "Sorry about Princess Diana". (I don't know whether some thought she was British. In fact she was a pretty patriotic Aussie, but they just wanted to express sympathy, I suppose.)
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 09-04-2016, 02:59 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
Of course there are Americans who are interested. And a lot who aren't. I don't know offhand how many people there are in the US but its a heck of a lot, so its impossible to generalise about such a huge place. But a lot of British are indifferent as well.. in fact I'd say that lukewarm "IM ok wit them" is the most common way that the British feel..
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 09-04-2016, 03:16 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,194
That is very true. For most, they are just part of the furniture, always been there, probably always will be. I think English people, because the deeds of their Kings and Queens are so woven into the history of the country, a republic isn't really favoured much at all. I wouldn't say that about the Welsh or Northern Irish though, and certainly not the Scots.
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 09-04-2016, 03:59 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
Um for the Northern Irish Unionist the queen is a very very important symbol of their union with England. Of course to nationalists she's a divisive figure.
I think that English people In the main, are just not into bothering to change. If the RF/Monarchy works ok, if there aren't scandals, and the members do a bit of work, they are ok with it, even if they are theoretically republicans.
Which is why I think that in the 90s, with all the scandals, there was debate on the RF and a feeling that perhaps it had come to the time of getting rid of it.. but it fizzled out...
I think that the Americans who DO take an interest in the UK and Monarchy often are surprised that the Brits aren't all that interested, that they just accept the Monarchy without thinking about it much.. Some of them get very very worked up about every little story in the tabloids, analyse it to death, whereas Brits just read it and don't take ti seriously...or feel "Oh God not another boring story bout the Royals" and ignore it.
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 09-04-2016, 06:47 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,930
Let's not clog up the thread with off-topic posts please - this thread is about the Anniversaries of Diana's Death, not a debate on which country takes the most interest in the Royal Family. Time to move on.
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old 09-04-2016, 07:49 AM
Dee Anna's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Here, Ireland
Posts: 240
Having just come in after a night out and looking at the News I left a note for other housemates still out "Paris car crash, Diana injured, Dodi dead".

Not expecting anything worse to happen, I popped across to the local shop on getting up next morning to pick up the Sunday papers for breakfast.
Shop owner "Dreadful accident in Paris last night"
Me "Is there any more news about Diana?"
She, a bit taken back "That poor girl is dead"
__________________
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken ..... Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 09-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,194
Yes, it was like that. We were outside in a relative's garden when our son came to tell us that news on the TV stated that Diana had had an accident in Paris and it was believed she'd suffered broken bones. It seems now that it was only half an hour or so later before the news came that she was dead. A dreadful shock!
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 09-04-2016, 08:25 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,887
I remember my 20year old daughter throwing herself in my arms and we just wept we were devastated.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 09-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
I had a new kitten who had learned to climb up my leg, and she was trying to do this, when I put on the TV that morning. And saw all the headlines...
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 09-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Queen Penelope's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camrose, Canada
Posts: 712
I was 20 and on holiday in Missoula, Montana. My family and I just returned to the hotel and I turned on the TV. I remember seeing the mangled Mercedes and thinking that no one must have survived. I didn't know it was Diana until a few minutes in that it was her. It was so surreal hearing Nik Gowing of the BBC later announce that she had passed. Just didn't seem real.
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 09-12-2016, 01:12 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
I went to tell my husband, and he said that I sounded very calm, (because I was so shocked I could not quite believe it) and as he knew I was a Diana fan, he was like "Who does she mean? Diana Ross? Why would she wake me to tell me that?" And He thought "She can't mean the Princess, because Diana is young and healthy adn into "keep fit".
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 09-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,004
When I went to bed, the assumption was that Diana would live but with injuries. When I turned on the radio in the morning, it was just in time to hear the solemn CBC announcer intone the name of the program that had just started, "Death of a Princess." It was a strange day and a strange week. I only wept once, though. It was later in the week and I was driving into town on a grocery run. I just thought, "I've lost my princess". Some tears came then.
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 09-12-2016, 07:54 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,444
I had just turned 40 and had finally found "the one" only to find he was living a life of lies. Sigh. As I packed to move in a positive direction, the news of her death came over the news. We literally were packing up the moving van. It was a transition in many ways for me, but probably is the reason I blame him more that her. Gosh, her death was an arrow through the heart for many women of that generation. She never played a feminist card, but she did put her energy out there.
I miss her. Always and specially at this time of year. I cannot imagine how the boys dealt with losing this wonderful mother.
__________________
A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...bob_dylan.html
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 09-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,460


I was still healing from the effects of a devastating betrayal and break up the previous year. I was asleep when a friend called me and shouted down the telephone " TURN ON THE TV...DODI'S DEAD AND DIANA'S HURT!!"

I had been sort of following the relationship in the tabloids and doubted he was The One but just like everything related to this woman I was willing to wait and see. She was of my generation and I was really rooting for her to get things together.

When the announcement of her death came I was really calm because I just knew the TV newscaster had made an error. I kept thinking how embarrassing it would be for the media when Buckingham Palace and the Brit Embassy corrected this colossal error...the princess was alive and recovering in hospital. Someone will lose their job. Heads will roll.

Then came the confirmation. I turned the TV off and wept.

Diana fascinated me and repulsed me all at once. I had "grown up" with her and was no longer as completely enchanted by her as I'd been when she first came on the scene....there had been too many disturbing revelations.

But I was still totally heartbroken by her loss.

And I've never been truly interested in the House of Windsor ever since.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 09-12-2016, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 2,822
Mostly because they are not interesting. Other than the Pomp and Circumstances, which they do beautifully. Americans do not know or could care less. It is a show.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anniversary, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style christening of prince alexander coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll fashion suggestions gothia cup grand duke jean greece hereditary grand duchess stéphanie's fashion & style kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit royal fashion september 2016 sheikha moza state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises