The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-02-2016, 02:18 AM
Serene Highness

certainly never heard of anyone wishing charles dead, but the mood at the time was that the RF hadn't been very kind to Diana in life, and hadn't showed up very well about her death. So it was unlikely to be postiive about them. IMO the people i have seen NOW being most hostile about Charles tend to be non british people on discussion forums...

Old 09-02-2016, 02:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

As I said - the people I have heard these comments from are in the UK and definitely British.

It seems that the British either love or hate Charles. There doesn't seem any middle ground - from the people I have spoken to on this issue over the last two years.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Well I certainly cannot believe it is 19 yrs and as a true Dianaphile I am pleased that it is still talked about and she is remembered.. life goes on and is has really moved fast IMO but this may sound weird I think of her on these anniversaries and just reflect on the passage of time I meet her twice once when she was on the Sunshine Coast at The Big Pineapple and another when we lived in Oxford and she came to the Red Cross shop on the Banbury Rd ... she was stunning and sweet all rolled into one .... I think it is just nice to remember. Thanks for reading this ....
Old 09-02-2016, 03:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

No one really wanted Charles to actually die. It's just emotions were very high at the time of Diana's tragic death. Also, she passed away during the public's bad mood over the Wales divorce.

People were too wrapped up in their own emotions and grief to even understand Charles lost his former wife and mother of his children. The man was in mourning too. He nearly lost it just going to see her body in Paris for heavens sake. That must have been a sight forever etched in his memory.

Did anyone pay attention to his face during her anniversary memorial service in 2007? He looked broken all over again.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-02-2016, 03:12 AM
Serene Highness

I dont know anyone who thinks about Charles at all.. Mostly people are indifferent to him... as is the case with a lot of the RF. At the time of Diana's death he wasn't popular, because he had been cheating on a well loved and beautiful princess, but gradually people went back to "normal reactions". His stock went up agian and he is now generally respected by people who take an interest in the RF. Certainly in the last few years of Diana's life, most people I knew at work didn't like her at all...and wehn she died, SOME were shocked at her death, others were indifferent.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

There are people who still want Charles to die - 19 years after Diana's death.

That I have heard directly from the mouths of British people as recently as this past June.

By claiming 'no one wanted Charles to die' I am effectively being called a liar and I resent that absolutely.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

That I have heard directly from the mouths of British people as recently as this past June.

By claiming 'no one wanted Charles to die' I am effectively being called a liar and I resent that absolutely.
I find it strange, certianly, that people would say this openly to soemeone unless they felt that the person was likely to agree with them... I have seen people on other royal forums however speculalting on "is Charles goign to be King", or What if he died before Camilla " etc.. and I find that so distasteful that I left thte forum. But these were mostly non British. Of course there are unstable people who will focus hatred on public figures, and make death threats, and I daresay that did happen at the time of Diana's death but It seems very strange that ordinary people would be wishing he woudl die now so many years later and speaking of it unless among people who would agree with them.
I dont know anyone among the poeple i know in the UK who even thinks about Charles...
Old 09-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
certainly never heard of anyone wishing charles dead, but the mood at the time was that the RF hadn't been very kind to Diana in life, and hadn't showed up very well about her death. So it was unlikely to be postiive about them. IMO the people i have seen NOW being most hostile about Charles tend to be non british people on discussion forums...
Not this non Brit poster. I admire the PoW and feel great sympathy and respect for him.

I don't 100% approve of his behavior during the Wales marriage and some of his actions since, but I think he has been a fantastic single father to the boys and he deserves a happy life now.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Anyone who actually want the man to die need to check into a hospital.

What I'm saying is that emotions were very high during Diana's death and some people were talking through their grief and pain over what happened. I honestly don't believe some of those people didn't actually wanted something to happen to Charles. Talking out of hurt and pain can cause some folks to say some crazy things.

Whoever saying this same thing now, probably are the ones that want to see William as King or just not into Charles period.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Not this non Brit poster. I admire the PoW and feel great sympathy and respect for him.

I don't 100% approve of his behavior during the Wales marriage and some of his actions since, but I think he has been a fantastic single father to the boys and he deserves a happy life now.
yes I did not say all non British, but I have found that it seems to be more likely to be non British, usually American people on forums, who tend to dislike charles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Anyone who actually want the man to die need to check into a hospital.

Wh
Whoever saying this same thing now, probably are the ones that want to see William as King or just not into Charles period.
I am sure there were some crazy people who did send death threats, at the time of the Funeral. There are always going to be some people who hate on well known figures and who threaten them, probaby with no serious intent, - though some of them MAY Be insane enough to act on their threats. however in today's climate many years later -even if one dislikes Charles or wants William to succeed, I find it hard to imagine anyone wishing him dead. I have seen people on a forum speculating about when he migiht die or if he would outlive Camilla or vice versa, and I found this very unpleasant, but these people would deny that they were wishing for his death...
I'd really say very few people openly wish for someone's death....
Old 09-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
yes I did not say all non British, but I have found that it seems to be more likely to be non British, usually American people on forums, who tend to dislike charles.

Those are the folks who read the Andrew Morton book and take that version of events as gospel, probably!
Old 09-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Serene Highness

Possibly..But it does seem to be more likey to be Americans who are disliking of Charles or dont like the idea of his being King or having been "lucky" enough to get to marry Camilla... etc.
Whereas After a while, ( tho' Charles was very unpopular in the UK for a while), as time passed mostly English people slipped back to their usual "not thinking about Charles or the RF much". Of course like all public figures some like him a lot, others dislike him, probalby some few hate him.. but mostly people are indifferent...
But soeme americans also seem to think that because there are occasionally negative stories abot him or criticism in the papers, that because of that, the British public really hates him and he's not going to make it as King.. But all Royals like All public figures get criticism and negative stories..
Old 09-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As an American, I can only present my own point of view but if I was totally honest, I would have to say that I've always admired Charles far more than I ever did Diana. The more I learn about the man, the more I realize that this is a very deep thinking person that genuinely stands behind his principles and cares about the welfare of the people around him and has a sense of duty inherited from his mother.

Diana was OK but never registered as something spectacular with me. She did do a lot of good, took on issues that weren't mainstream at the time, was quite controversial and was a wonderful mother to her sons and the world definitely was a bit dimmer when she died.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Charles is a good and a decent man, but he can be very stupid and selfish. So could Diana, but I think she wasn't all that clever and she did have psychological problems that made her vulnerable and when under stress, she acted wildly. And her marriage and public life did put her under constant stress. I wonder if she'd have been more "OK and normal" if she'd married a guy with a bit of money, a kind heart and who could offer her a normal aristocratic life, with low stress.
Mostly, she does not seem to have done anything very wild when she was a girl, apart form smacking her father over his marriage to Raine. She seemed normal and OK in her Sloane days...
Old 09-03-2016, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Posts relating to the Memorial Service for the 10th Anniversary of Diana's death have been moved to the following thread:

The Memorial Service: August 31, 2007
Old 09-03-2016, 12:43 PM
Serene Highness

I am an American and can honest say that absolutely no one I know ever wished Charles dead but then again they never thought that Diana was a saint. Sure she did nice works and was very attractive, but should never be thought of as superior. To be truthful, to the average American, Diana is dead, shame but true. Charles is still alive and although quite a self centered chap, has done wonderful things for the youth of his country. He doesn't brag about it, but we all know that over a thousand young people have excelled in jobs [instead of getting into trouble on the streets] due to his Trust.

But to say Americans don't want Charles to be king, I find that false as most just don't care. We admire Queen Elizabeth II for her service and dedication to her country and will certainly morn her passing. But, whoever comes next won't affect us as really what actual legal power do they have. We are more interested in who the PM is in reference to world stability. Most Americans are not in favor of Royals and do not care to read or know about them, other than the occasional showy wedding, which we women love.

To put it plainly, who will be England's next king is none of our business and those that wish anyone dead because he is next in line as king really should be a in mental institution under doctor's care
Old 09-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I am an American and can honest say that absolutely no one I know ever wished Charles dead but then again they never thought that Diana was a saint. S

But to say Americans don't want Charles to be king, I find that false as most just don't care.

Te
We arent talking about the Average American. Most of them have no interest or knowledge of the British nation, their politics or ther Royal family. No reason why they should. But of the Americans who DO take an interest, many are IMO more likely to sympathise with Diana over Charles and to see her as virtually a saint.. and to be highly crtitical of Charles. Some of them do seem to dislike the idea that Charles is still around remarried and going to be king one day.. Similarly they often (Of course we are talking about a tiny minority here of the American nation), tend to suggest that William shoudl be king, or Harry, as Harry seems to be seen as more like Diana than William...
Old 09-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
We arent talking about the Average American. Most of them have no interest or knowledge of the British nation, their politics or ther Royal family. No reason why they should. But of the Americans who DO take an interest, many are IMO more likely to sympathise with Diana over Charles and to see her as virtually a saint.. and to be highly crtitical of Charles. Some of them do seem to dislike the idea that Charles is still around remarried and going to be king one day.. Similarly they often (Of course we are talking about a tiny minority here of the American nation), tend to suggest that William shoudl be king, or Harry, as Harry seems to be seen as more like Diana than William...
Actually, I disagree. Americans that do take an interest are more apt to go beyond the tabloid stories and the media hype of "saint" Diana and from various reputable sources and forums such as this one, get a more clear and concise background into both Charles and Diana and realize that when it came to the marriage, both were at fault and both caused the downfall of the marriage overall.

Just an odd question here. Which Americans are you basing your opinion on? Was there a poll? An American based media article? Or are you pulling this opinion out of a hat? Just curious.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I know so few Americans who have any interest in the BRF ..not sure there'd be enough for a poll! Most of them I know are aware of Diana and her boys (to include Kate and the children), the Queen and Charles..but the rest of the RF would be largely unknown.

The ones who are more up on who is who etc...are usually into history, geneology or perhaps have a family member from the U.K.

That's just my experience.

LaRae
Old 09-03-2016, 07:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't know anyone personally who's interested in the British royal family.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS

Tags
anniversary, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, princess diana