20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hardly think they do this docu for their own healing, if that was the only reason indeed they'd be better of with personal therapy... imo they choose this media to help others who deal with similar experiences

William and Harry are not forcing the whole world to listen to their discussion about their mother. It's not a mandatory interview where citizens in the entire world are forced to buy a television, computer or newspaper and watch the interview.I'm looking forward to watching the interview and I'm glad that William and Harry did it.

Last edited:
nobody is saying that tthey are. I'm doen

Prince William said speaking openly about his mum for a new documentary about her life was "daunting" at first but the process has been a "healing" one.

William described the 90-minute programme as a "tribute" to Diana that will remind the public - especially those too young to remember her - of the "warmth" and "humour" of the global figure.

But the ITV film will be the first and last time he, and Prince Harry, will speak candidly about their mother.

Speaking ahead of the programme's screening on Monday, William said: "We won't be doing this again - we won't speak as openly or publicly about her again, because we feel hopefully this film will provide the other side from close family friends you might not have heard before, from those who knew her best and from those who want to protect her memory, and want to remind people of the person that she was.

Read more: Prince William says filming documentary about his mother Princess Diana 'a healing process'

William and Harry are not forcing the whole world to listen to their discussion about their mother. It's not a mandatory interview where citizens in the entire world are forced to buy a television, computer or newspaper and watch the interview.I'm looking forward to watching the interview and I'm glad that William and Harry did it.

Could it be some kind of backlash against Clarence House's ill-timed campaign to promote Camilla's image on her 70th birthday ? Given that the "Camilla charming offensive" pretty much coincided with the 20th anniversary of Diana's accident, it shows again how Prince Charles and his courtiers may be out of touch.

They can talk positive about Diana without it automatically meaning they dismiss Camilla

Could it be some kind of backlash against Clarence House's ill-timed campaign to promote Camilla's image on her 70th birthday ? Given that the "Camilla charming offensive" pretty much coincided with the 20th anniversary of Diana's accident, it shows again how Prince Charles and his courtiers may be out of touch.

That is the kind of stuff that tabloids dream up. I don't, for a minute, believe there's any infighting going on between any of the houses or the people in them.

Considering that William and Harry were involved and present for Camilla's 70th birthday bash and are also involved and present for commemorating the 20th anniversary of Diana's death, I think that blows that idea out of the water.

I think there wil be another documentary of them talking about their mother in August too, if I'm not mistaken. This is the year of reflection and tributes to her.

Regarding the previous discussion about different versions of the truth, I'm gonna take a leap of faith based on what I see of these two young men (William & Harry) and say that they got the best possible from both their parents. We can see that in the way that they love both of their parents. It's quite obvious. Moreover, they don't harbor any ill will toward either parent. Just think about your own individual relationship with your parents. As you become older, childhood experiences become clearer, and you begin to realize that your parents are persons in their own right, with an entire history that has little to do with giving birth to you. I think William & Harry as royals began to understand this earlier on, but it was complicated by their parents breaking up.

Still, the point is that no matter the strife between Charles & Diana, what the boys remember is love, mixed with the sadness. I think these young men understand very well that their parents were not happy with each other and that was the root of the problem. Will & Harry learned from that and wanted to make sure that whatever choices they made regarding a life partner would be based on happiness and true love. I think the boys by the nature of who they are have learned to accept the good and the bad and the complicated of the lives they were born into. They understand very well both of their parents' faults, flaws, mistakes, but they are choosing to celebrate their mother's virtues. She's no longer here to tell her own story. Her sons are going to ensure that the positives of who their mother was will never be forgotten. Her lasting legacy is the love she gave to her boys, and the love and caring for others less fortunate that she inspired in so many people. So what that she wasn't a perfect person. Are any of us?

Wishful thinking as its best ...
On the contrary, i think it's quite refreshing to see that the BRF is now able to acknowledge and promote the current "Princess of Wales" and to acknowledge and remember the previous and most cherished one, at the same time. What a difference with 2007!
What an example of forgivness and dignity, far from the petty commentaries and the outrageous headlines...
The BRF and the Princes are showing us a great deal of maturity, i wish everyone could follow this exemple ...

Wishful thinking as its best ...
On the contrary, i think it's quite refreshing to see that the BRF is now able to acknowledge and promote the current "Princess of Wales" and to acknowledge and remember the previous and most cherished one, at the same time. What a difference with 2007!
What an example of forgivness and dignity, far from the petty commentaries and the outrageous headlines...
The BRF and the Princes are showing us a great deal of maturity, i wish everyone could follow this exemple ...

Amen! Amen! Amen!

They can talk positive about Diana without it automatically meaning they dismiss Camilla

Exactly. While I am not that charmed by Camilla's personality and character, she's not a monster. Her 70th birthday deserves to be celebrated. She's the wife of the immediate heir to the throne. Most of the stuff that the tabloids write about is made up. Of course there was awkward stuff that occurred, but whatever happened, it seems to me that the love both their parents gave to William and Harry is what won out. Neither Harry nor William appear to blame either parent. They want their father's happiness, and they want the positives about their mother to be remembered. Camilla and Charles were caught up when young in the old-fashioned mores and views that Charles was too timid to challenge. Charles listened to his Uncle Louis Mountbatten and to his Grandmother the Queen Mother, and he ended up marrying a young virgin he didn't love but whom he felt he might come to love. The only good thing that came out of their union was William and Harry. Thanks be to heaven!

We have no idea what was said between Camilla and William, and between Camilla and Harry when she finally met them face-to-face and they got to know each other in the lead-up to their father marrying Camilla. It's none of our business. Of course, there's PR that goes on as a matter of course among the various royal houses. Whatever conflicts arise or differences of outlook are strictly handled among the royals and kept private. A lot was learned behind the crucible of the Diana years. That doesn't make Diana a monster either. These were all infallible people caught up in a royal saga of historic proportions. Lessons were learned; prices were paid.

William & Harry survived the shipwreck and they are an island unto themselves that the Queen and Prince Philip respect. These are their grandsons. Charles has learned in his own way, and he and Camilla triumphed in their need to be together. That was important to them. William & Harry respect that and they only wish for their father's happiness.

Camilla, Charles and Diana all made mistakes for which they each paid. Diana is no longer here, but I believe she's at peace. Her legacy will live on through her sons and their children. In that sense then, all is well within the House of Windsor. Whatever conflicts may go on from time to time, will not be shared with the public. :D Most of all, the media needs to get the message, there will not be another 'Diana-like' free-for-all hounding of any member of the royal family.

Last edited:
If they are having trauma from Diana's death, still, that is sad, but it is for them to try and heal by talking to each other, to their loved ones and to therapists. Not the whole world.

I think there is more to it than mashing about recounting "feelings." I think both of them know how much she was loved by many others. A celebration of her life, now that they are at a point where they are comfortable commenting can be a comfort to others.

I know when I run into my mother's old friends and we share old stories about her, that we all walk away with a lift in our step. I'm not famous, but it is a lot the same thing. Memories do more than "heal" - they elevate, refresh, amuse, celebrate and encourage.

And clearly, Wills and Harry find it appropriate to share the odd photo and story twenty years on. I for one will be happy to listen. Stories of love are important for me to hear, these days.

Last edited:
I can't wait until it's online so I can see the program.

LaRae

I don't see why William and Harry can't talk about their memories about Diana as their mom and their feelings about losing her and missing her. If people think that is throwing their dad under the bus and an attack on Charles and Camilla then that is on those people not William and Harry.

I think it is entirely due to the coincidence that a milestone birthday of Camilla's is the same summer as the 20th anniversary of Diana's death. Neither should be ignored. The only people upset about one or the other are those rabidly on one side or the other--but I don't think the family thinks this way.

Last edited:
Prince William talks about Diana as a grandmother in a clip from “Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy”

If Diana had not been killed in the Paris car crash, she’d have been 56-years-old this summer.

And, of course, a grandmother to both Prince George and Princess Charlotte.

In the most recently released clips from the ITV documentary “Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy”, Prince William talks about what she would have been like as “Granny Diana”.

And he reveals that he talks to his children when he puts them to bed about their other grandmother.

Read more: Prince William: I talk about Granny Diana constantly - ITV News

Prince William talks about Diana as a grandmother in a clip from “Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy”

If Diana had not been killed in the Paris car crash, she’d have been 56-years-old this summer.

And, of course, a grandmother to both Prince George and Princess Charlotte.

In the most recently released clips from the ITV documentary “Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy”, Prince William talks about what she would have been like as “Granny Diana”.

And he reveals that he talks to his children when he puts them to bed about their other grandmother.

Read more: Prince William: I talk about Granny Diana constantly - ITV News

"I talk about Granny Diana constantly." Ugh. Poor George and Charlotte. That doesn't sound healthy to me. Let's hope there's some exaggeration at play here. I can't imagine having a parent obsessively living in the past, to the point that they talk about it "constantly", and they want it to be the last thing I think about before I go to sleep each night. :ermm:

It's a good thing the kids have Catherine and I hope she's the dominant influence in their lives.

It could be as simple as "my mummy, your granny Diana who's in heaven, used to tuck me in too" or "my mummy read to me too."

"I talk about Granny Diana constantly." Ugh. Poor George and Charlotte. That doesn't sound healthy to me. Let's hope there's some exaggeration at play here. I can't imagine having a parent obsessively living in the past, to the point that they talk about it "constantly", and they want it to be the last thing I think about before I go to sleep each night. :ermm:

I suppose the children are encouraged then not to see Camilla as "granny". Before you ask, I know lots of families where stepmothers actually play the role of granny to their stepsons' children.

Last edited:
My dad died 24 years ago and not a day goes by that I don't think or talk about him.

If that's living in the past then so be it.

Being divorced myself and the both of us have moved on and remarried, I've actually encouraged my kid to get to know and become close to their step mother. Its ridiculous to taint their relationship with people because my ex and I divorced and moved on in life.

Of course I think both George and Charlotte will see Camilla as a grandmother figure in their lives. At least I'd really hope so.

I'm in agreement also with Rudolph. We never forget those that we loved that have passed on. Keeping their memory alive keeps us close to them in a way and you talk about the ones you love with the ones you love and that would be normal for William to talk to George and Charlotte about his own "mummy".

I'm not sure about this whole thing but I do believe that W&H are doing this from purely wanting to finally have their say.

I question how some of the papers are presenting it, but as William said when he previewed the film with the press 10 days ago (ish), this anniversary is the first and last time he and Harry will be doing this.

IT seems that William and Harry carry a lot around with them - as do many people who lose parents when they are young. Harry is naturally out-there and also probably remembers less. But William is more contained, and Diana talked about her emotions to him, so he remembers more.

I don't belong to the "Diana is perfect and a Saint" group of fans - I think what made her interesting was like everyone else she wasn't perfect. There are aspects that I disapproved of - one of which was leaning on William; the collaboration with Morton, and the interview - that unleashed a shedload of embarrassment on William that was cruel. (This is my opinion and I'm not going to get into a debate over it). What I do recognise absolutely was her love for her children, although I think she was sometimes irresponsible.

I also understand that Catherine has had to give an enormous amount of support to William and continues to do so. (EDIT: Harry's wife will also have to understand his loss)

What I am not looking forward to over the next 5-6 weeks is the wailing and crying of those who seek attention to themselves, rather than appreciate her life and the loss of her potential.

I suppose the children are encouraged then not to see Camilla as "granny". Before you ask, I know lots of families where stepmothers actually play the role of granny to their stepsons' children.

This is probably not your typical step-grandmother situation due to the circumstances that went on ...don't really think you can compare the Camilla situation to one like mine where I had a step-grandmother since my biological grandmother died when my mom was 19. But all that other baggage wasn't there.

LaRae

It also explains why William makes sure the Middletons are not pushed aside like the families of others who married royals in the past were.

It also explains why William makes sure the Middletons are not pushed aside like the families of others who married royals in the past were.

Yes he made it very clear early on they would play a big part in the life of his family unit. I think this was for multiple reasons.

LaRae

That would be a shame. Camilla strikes me as an awesome granny, a better grandparent than Charles if I'm to be blunt.

There seems to be no problem with Tim being a "grandpa" to Savannah, Isla and Mia. Even though Tim was the "other man" in Mark and Anne's dysfunctional marriage. Letting Tim be a grandpa isn't betraying Mark.

It's a good thing the kids have Catherine and I hope she's the dominant influence in their lives.
Ugh indeed! If he is talking about Diana constantly you really have to wonder. They are small children, how often are they going to be asking questions at this stage - never would be my belief.

I find the whole notion unhealthy but then I may be biased as one of my in-laws was taken to visit the grave of his elder brother every week. That child died before he was born. He spent his life trying vainly to equal the "perfect" son. He didn't make peace with himself until he was in his late twenties.

When things come up about someone you love who died it is quite natural that a conversation will evolve. But constantly talking about your mother who has been dead for 20 to your toddlers is more than a bit worrisome.
Well, in view of the above, the children would find it difficult to differentiate between her and "our Granny which art in heaven".

Anyone that thinks Camilla is looked at as a grandmother to George and Charlotte is living in a another world. The baggage she brings will rule that out. Am sure she is happy with her own grandchildren

Why is it presumed that because William talks about "Granny Diana", that Camilla isn't called some other name like Grandma Camilla or Nanna or some other endearment?

Back
Top Bottom