20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, Charles do have a nice and friendly relationship with both Jane and Sarah. He once dated Sarah too. The Spencer's and Windsor's go back a long way with each other before the Wales marriage.

It's a shame Charles can't be there due to the Canadian trip, but I'm sure he sends his best to the family on the re-dedication.

I doubt if they are friends nowadays, after the divorce and charles' Spencers ciriticsm of the RF.

I doubt if they are friends nowadays, after the divorce and charles' Spencers ciriticsm of the RF.

Didn't one of Diana's sisters just recently attend Ascot? She and her husband sat in the carriage procession, on a day when Charles and Camilla were also present.

I believe it's only Earl Spencer who has openly criticized the BRF.

That might have been Jane Fellowes. She and her husband, Baron Fellowes, have been close to the Queen for ever, as Robert Fellowes was the Queen's Private Secretary for so many years.

You're right. I remember reading that on the carriage list for that day. It was Jane Spencer Fellowes at Ascot with her husband.

The families really don't have a rift with each other. Earl Spencer cleared that up a while back.

Yes, Lord and Lady Fellowes were at Royal Ascot in the carriage possession on Day 1 with the Cambridge's and Charles and Camilla. Lord Fellowes used to be the Private Secretary to The Queen and he still remains in the Royal Household as an advisor to Her Majesty.

My children were 4 years old and 3 1/2 months old at my grandmother's funeral. It was a family event so they attended. What's wrong with Charlotte and George being there?

There is nothing wrong with it.

The point a few people were making is that the kids will not take anything from it. They are too young. People were going on about how special, and the kids hearing the stories, and knowing how great she was. Realistically they are too young. Just like your kids, in a few years they aren't likely to even remember. I went to my grandfathers funeral at George's age. The only reason I know I did is because my dad tells me. I have very vague memories of the man and none of his funeral. The kids are not going to get the significance of the event, or understand. Honestly they will enjoy running around Althorope on a sunny day.

If they want to take the kids, wonderful. Definitely their decision. But hopefully they take the kids there in a few years when a bit older, to understand. Then they will be old enough to understand what Diana did. But a nice day to see their extended family and play with the likes of Earl Spenvers little girl, never goes wrong. Sure the Spencer's will be happy to see her grandkids.

I don't see Meghan attending events like this until she officially becomes Harry's fiancee. And the press would have made a spectacle of her attendance.

The point a few people were making is that the kids will not take anything from it. They are too young. People were going on about how special, and the kids hearing the stories, and knowing how great she was. Realistically they are too young. Just like your kids, in a few years they aren't likely to even remember. I went to my grandfathers funeral at George's age. The only reason I know I did is because my dad tells me. I have very vague memories of the man and none of his funeral. The kids are not going to get the significance of the event, or understand. Honestly they will enjoy running around Althorope on a sunny day.

If they want to take the kids, wonderful. Definitely their decision. But hopefully they take the kids there in a few years when a bit older, to understand. Then they will be old enough to understand what Diana did. But a nice day to see their extended family and play with the likes of Earl Spenvers little girl, never goes wrong. Sure the Spencer's will be happy to see her grandkids.

I'm sure the kids will return once they're older too. It's important to William that his kids are there now though. I like the fact that they're going to the service.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with the children being there, but it won't be meaningful for them because they're so young.

Whether or not they decide to bring the children to the actual service, I'm sure it will be very poignant and bittersweet for William to remember what must be the worst point of his life while at the same time finding so much joy in George and Charlotte. It's really too bad that he doesn't get to share that joy with his mother.

I think they should take the children. Diana would like nothing more than those two running around and playing as some minister drones on.

Also, in fifteen or twenty years' time, those two children will be very pleased to find out that they were brought along to their granny's 20th anniversary memorial service.

:previous: For anyone; it's available on YouTube.

The families really don't have a rift with each other. Earl Spencer cleared that up a while back.

Yes, Lord and Lady Fellowes were at Royal Ascot in the carriage possession on Day 1 with the Cambridge's and Charles and Camilla. Lord Fellowes used to be the Private Secretary to The Queen and he still remains in the Royal Household as an advisor to Her Majesty.

Fellows is not a Spencer and I don't get the feeling that the queen and Charles S are on great terms. They will be polite if they meet but are hardly going to be best friends.

Fellows is not a Spencer and I don't get the feeling that the queen and Charles S are on great terms. They will be polite if they meet but are hardly going to be best friends.

Robert Fellowes actually is a member of the Spencer family by marriage. He is married to Diana's sister Jane. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Fellowes family are there en masse for the memorial service at Althorp.

BTW: the Queen is Charles Spencer's godmother. :D

Last edited:
Hes not an actual Spencer, any more than Diana was a Windsor. It has been said that there were issues between him and Jane over Diana, because as a courtier his loyalty was to the queen, and Diana was disrespecting the queen. So IMO he is problaby not on the Spencer side of the fence if they are still unhappy with the RF and the queen. And yes the queen's Charles Spencers' godmother, but IMO se was very displeased with his speech at Diana's funeral and I don't think they've ever completely gotten over that.
I don't really understand this "re dedication" of the Grave.. why not just have a prayer service at the graveside or in the local church?

Probably for the same reasons that couples renew their wedding vows. :D

Y'know, I find it hard to believe that there would be still animosity between the members of the family over something that happened 20 years ago. Fences are broken down and mended all the time and life goes on.

Thinking about the familial relationships and whether a Spencer or a Windsor, Robert Fellowes is as much William and Harry's uncle as Sophie Wessex is their aunt. Families don't usually go by "sides" when it comes to familial matters. Family is family period.

well not according to some reports.. Fellowes worked for the queen and was loyal to her and it is said that Jane Fellowes was in a cleft stick between her husband and her family/sister.
And in laws are often not that close to their families..
I don't say that there is "animosity" as such but I don't think relations are too close.
I don't believe the Spencers have all much to do with even Harry and William, nowadays,much less with the queen.
But I don't udnerstand the rededication of the grave. its consecrated, its hallowed ground. if they wanted to have a prayer service by the grave every years on say Di's birthday that's what some people would do.. but I have not heard of this happening.. so I'm not sure why it is happening now with a rededication service...

Perhaps they are moving her to another location on the island, with smart new reconstructed surroundings, gravestone etc. (You know what my beliefs are regarding her body's true location anyway, don't you, Denville?) :) Anyway, if she's been moved, even slightly, that would require a re-hallowing/dedication.

well not according to some reports.. Fellowes worked for the queen and was loyal to her and it is said that Jane Fellowes was in a cleft stick between her husband and her family/sister.
And in laws are often not that close to their families..
I don't say that there is "animosity" as such but I don't think relations are too close.
I don't believe the Spencers have all much to do with even Harry and William, nowadays,much less with the queen.
But I don't udnerstand the rededication of the grave. its consecrated, its hallowed ground. if they wanted to have a prayer service by the grave every years on say Di's birthday that's what some people would do.. but I have not heard of this happening.. so I'm not sure why it is happening now with a rededication service...
It's happening because her sons wanted it. It's something they wanted to do as their way to honor their mother. It doesn't need to be anymore than that and it certainly isn't worth others to question or criticize.

Perhaps they are moving her to another location on the island, with smart new reconstructed surroundings, gravestone etc. (You know what my beliefs are regarding her body's true location anyway, don't you, Denville?) :) Anyway, if she's been moved, even slightly, that would require a re-hallowing/dedication.

I certainly hope not. I don't believe it, I think that her body is where it was laid, as was thogtht right at the time. Unless there is a very good reason, I think it is wrong to disturb someone's resting place. I don't know why they are publicising this anyway, If they do want a clergyman to say prayers and for htem to have service at her graveside, that is a private matter and ther'es no need to tell the world about it. they could have had a service there every year at her birthday, if they wished.. I don't believe they have.. but it is something that could have happened on a regular basis without telling the world about it.

I hope this the correct place to put this link to another upcoming tv special in memory of Diana.

Princess Diana's Brother Charles Spencer to Tell Her Story in People's Special

In regards to comments about W&H and their closeness to the Spencer's. Last year, Harry did attend his cousin George's wedding. I recall Harry and George, as children, looking quite similar with their red hair and similar hair cut.

I'm slightly surprised we haven't seen any arrival pics from today's service. I supposed some photographers woudl go stand at the gates of Althorp.
I hope this is out of respect for the family, who will have an undoubtly emotional service ahead of them.

I hope that the press would leave them alone.. but If they thnk it will get them some salelabe stories or pics I don't suppose they will...

So far no pics have shown up...the family might get lucky on this one.

LaRae

They might, just might have gone there earlier than anyone expected them to, had a morning service at Althorp House, gone to the island, had brunch and then departed. Perhaps photographers expected an afternoon arrival?

Anyway, I've been remembering Diana on what would have been her 56th birthday, and all the good, bright and wonderful things about her. I hope the pain of her loss was not too bad for her sons yesterday (Aus time.)

Back
Top Bottom