20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peter Hunt from the BBC tweeted why they announced it - its the 20 anniversary of Diana's death and it would be hard to keep it a secret. We see the same thing when a royal goes in to a hospital. They announce it because it's going to come out.

Peter Hunt from the BBC tweeted why they announced it - its the 20 anniversary of Diana's death and it would be hard to keep it a secret. We see the same thing when a royal goes in to a hospital. They announce it because it's going to come out.

Of course they tweet about a royal going to a hospital. It's a member of the BRF and it will likely have implications with their upcoming scheduled events. Diana was no longer a royal and she's been dead for 20 years, and this has no impact on any official events. There is no comparison.

All this press release did was incite a media circus, under the feigned guise of privacy.

I think the service of re-dedication is a wonderful idea, and I'm glad the Archbishop of Canterbury is going to preside. Lovely that George and Charlotte will see where their grandmother lies, and be at Althorp with their parents and Uncle Harry and Diana's siblings and family. They've probably been told several stories about their wonderful grandmother already, and it's awful that they'll never meet her in the flesh.

You'll notice it's not the local parish priest performing the service but the Archbishop of Canterbury. This tells us it was approved at the highest level.

I love that they are doing this as I think everyone should be free to remember love ones however they want and I like they are involving the children (though personally I wouldn't take them to a grave - that said I think Diana's grave is more of a temple and a wild meadow rather than what we may think of).
Personally I feel uncomfortable they announced it ahead of time, they could IMO have announced it either sat morning or after the event but maybe there was a more pressing reason to announce it we aren't aware of.

You'll notice it's not the local parish priest performing the service but the Archbishop of Canterbury. This tells us it was approved at the highest level.

I agree. Very nice to know the AC will be conduct the service. I'm sure both families appreciates The Queen's approval

Not announcing before hand would have been a horrible move on their part. The stories the day or two before would have been nothing but things like "Wills and Harry Heartless: Totally Ignoring Mum's Birthday On 20th Anniversary Of Death!"

Plus the press would see the announcement of the estate being closed on July 1. It's not hard to put 2&2 together. They call KP and if they deny anything then the press run a what is KP trying to hide story. Freedom of the press ....

I'm glad they announced the service in memory of Diana. I guess it's my theme around here these days, if someone wants to speak about something it is their right. And in this case 2 men want to have a private service for their mother, all they did was announce what they plan to do on a special day. If the press are professional, they should respect that it is a private time for the family.

I am fascinated by Diana because she is my 18th cousin twice removed. Whatever flaws she had as a human being, people loved her BECAUSE she was so human. Her death was a great tragedy.

I am fascinated by Diana because she is my 18th cousin twice removed. Whatever flaws she had as a human being, people loved her BECAUSE she was so human. Her death was a great tragedy.

You've stated it all quite beautifully. Welcome to TRF and I think you'll find quite a bit of different discussions on the life and times of Diana in the many threads about her and of course, everything to do with the 20th anniversary of her death right here in this thread. :flowers:

You've stated it all quite beautifully. Welcome to TRF and I think you'll find quite a bit of different discussions on the life and times of Diana in the many threads about her and of course, everything to do with the 20th anniversary of her death right here in this thread. :flowers:

Thank you so very much.:flowers:

Welcome. Diana was indeed a fascinating woman, Dawn Pisturino, warm, lovely and all too human. Are you related to her through her mother's family?

Goodness what's it matter announced before or after none of our business it's a family occasion we all should respect whatever her sons want.

All perfectly choreographed. Charles will be in Canada so 'unavailable to attend the rededication.
Goodness what's it matter announced before or after none of our business it's a family occasion we all should respect whatever her sons want.
Well since you think the governments of both the UK and Canada scheduled Charles Royal visit around the anniversary of Diana's death, obviously the minutia of it does matter.
That's fine, the Spencer's solved the potential problem you described. And it makes KP butting in even more unnecessary then.

I really hope BP and CH never take media advice from KP. Let the latter flounder in it's own incompetence.
Charles tried to join all three together for a smoother, more coherent approach, however, William and Harry wanted to do it their way!

Hopefully the drone cameras can be kept far away too.
Oh well, it's a private estate, and I don't think there is any particular "season" for drones. :D

Well since you think the governments of both the UK and Canada scheduled Charles Royal visit around the anniversary of Diana's death, obviously the minutia of it does matter

Not to mention the fact that the Canadian government obviously scheduled the 150th Anniversary of Confederation to coincide with Diana's birthday.

I'm glad they announced the service in memory of Diana. I guess it's my theme around here these days, if someone wants to speak about something it is their right. And in this case 2 men want to have a private service for their mother, all they did was announce what they plan to do on a special day. If the press are professional, they should respect that it is a private time for the family.

Except the press aren't professional, W&H know that better than anyone. Previously the press suspected the two men would commemorate the day with the Spencers in some fashion, now with the press release the press knows Catherine and the kids are involved and their interest has skyrocketed. The press will also now be desperate for Meghan to attend as this is now seen as an "official" family gathering thanks to the KP letterhead, her attendance would be used to fuel their imminent engagement articles.

W&H know they get some interest from the media, they also know that Catherine, George, Charlotte and Meghan get way more interest than the two them. This release has now guaranteed that the press will stake out the roads outside Althrop so they can get car pics of the arrivals. Members of the public will also probably hang around the roads hoping to catch a glimpse of the royals now that they know for certain five royals will be there.

Like I said, all this press release did was incite a media circus. Unless W&H are complete morons, they realized this would be the outcome. So this media circus was done intentionally to bring a spotlight, to a feigned private event.

Last edited:
All perfectly choreographed. Charles will be in Canada so 'unavailable to attend the rededication.

Shame on Canada. We should have prophecized the birth of Diana, and planned our national holiday for a better day :whistling:

It's our 150th birthday. That calls for a senior royal, and the queen can't. This trip of Charles was planned long before this re dedication would have been.

Anyways this is a private event for family and he isn't.

As for Charlotte and George I don't get all the 'oh they will see so much about grandma...." And all that. I am sorry but at their age they aren't going to get much from it. Especially Charlotte. It will be talk and abstract person right now. A trip to Althorpe and time with the Spencer's can happen any time. Sure their uncle would be happy to have a visit. Take the kids in a few years when old enough to understand. Show them her memorial. Tell them stories. Let them play with Spencer cousins. Just because it is Diana's 20th anniversary, doesn't mean this is the year the kids need to go.

I don't think that Charles (or Camilla) would want to go to the re-dedication anyway. He's an ex husband of the dead woman, and the event is taking place at Althorp, her ancestral home. Perhaps if Charles had a extremely warm and friendly relationship with Diana's siblings and the divorce had been very amicable, then there might have been a case for Charles's attendance. But he hasn't and it wasn't. So even if he had been in England I couldn't see him turning up.

I don't think that Charles (or Camilla) would want to go to the re-dedication anyway. He's an ex husband of the dead woman, and the event is taking place at Althorp, her ancestral home. Perhaps if Charles had a extremely warm and friendly relationship with Diana's siblings and the divorce had been very amicable, then there might have been a case for Charles's attendance. But he hasn't and it wasn't. So even if he had been in England I couldn't see him turning up.

Actually, Charles do have a nice and friendly relationship with both Jane and Sarah. He once dated Sarah too. The Spencer's and Windsor's go back a long way with each other before the Wales marriage.

It's a shame Charles can't be there due to the Canadian trip, but I'm sure he sends his best to the family on the re-dedication.

I'm sure the timing has worked out perfectly for everyone. Charles wouldn't want to be there and nobody would want him to be there. He might be friendly with Diana's sisters but that doesn't mean he'd be welcome to this. As for her grandchildren being there we take our grandchildren to the grave of my mother and talk about how much she would love them etc. guess it depends on your beliefs
And it is nobody's business

I'm sure the timing has worked out perfectly for everyone. Charles wouldn't want to be there and nobody would want him to be there. He might be friendly with Diana's sisters but that doesn't mean he'd be welcome to this. As for her grandchildren being there we take our grandchildren to the grave of my mother and talk about how much she would love them etc. guess it depends on your beliefs
And it is nobody's business

I agree with you. It also stops all kind of stupid remarks and speculations in the tabloids on Charles' absence or his presence or whatever they would want to make out of it. Whether or not he would want to attend if he was available, whether the Spencer family would welcome him or anything else we'll never know and to be honest, as you said, its nobody's business.

Except the press aren't professional, W&H know that better than anyone. Previously the press suspected the two men would commemorate the day with the Spencers in some fashion, now with the press release the press knows Catherine and the kids are involved and their interest has skyrocketed. The press will also now be desperate for Meghan to attend as this is now seen as a "official" family gathering thanks to the KP letterhead, her attendance will be used to fuel their imminent engagement articles.

W&H know they get some interest from the media, they also know that Catherine, George, Charlotte and Meghan get way more interest than the two them. This release has now guaranteed that the press will stake out the roads outside Althrop so they can get car pics of the arrivals. Members of the public will also probably hang around the roads hoping to catch a glimpse of the royals now that they know for certain five royals will be there.

Like I said, all this press release did was incite a media circus. Unless W&H are complete morons, they realized this would be the outcome. So this was done intentionally to bring a spotlight, to a feigned private event.

I wouldn't be so sure Meghan would be there. Not because she wouldn't want to support Harry or Harry doesn't want her there. Rather the attention should be on Diana's rededication, not the press trying to use this to further engagement talks. If there is a way for her to get to Althrop without being photographed, I would think she would be there.

My children were 4 years old and 3 1/2 months old at my grandmother's funeral. It was a family event so they attended. What's wrong with Charlotte and George being there?

It's William's mother's grave and George and Charlotte are his children. The only other person's opinion that matters whether they go is Catherine's.

I wouldn't be so sure Meghan would be there. Not because she wouldn't want to support Harry or Harry doesn't want her there. Rather the attention should be on Diana's rededication, not the press trying to use this to further engagement talks. If there is a way for her to get to Althrop without being photographed, I would think she would be there.

That thought crossed my mind last night....supposedly she's in England now and who's to know if she attends with Harry? They've been good at flying under radar so I think it quite possible they could 'sneak' her in.

LaRae

Although this would be an excellent time to have Meghan meet more of the family, this occasion would not be it. Its a private time for the family of Diana to come together and honor and remember her. I think it will be strictly family.

Even after 20 years of marriage, meeting up for a funeral with the hubby's extended family (we have an upcoming gathering for an aunt's 100th birthday soon), I still feel somewhat like a fish out of water as family members delve into the many "remember when" conversations. I would think that Meghan perhaps would feel the same.

Back
Top Bottom