20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry but not a huge fan. I love the white flowers, especially tulips as my favorite. But the big pots of flowers look bizarre and out of place. They stick out like sore thumbs. It would look much more beautiful IMO if just the garden beds.

Last edited:
I know it is The White Garden, and it's pretty, but.

I really prefer lots of colors in a garden. Riotous, joyful, vibrant...it just appeals to me more than something like this.

If you get to go, let us know what you think of it. :flowers:

I will. Almost went today, as I was on a bus quite near it, but it was looked like it might rain!! I think it is a shame that they did not have a garden memorial for Di years ago.. I remember thinking way back years ago that a garden with roses and lilies and lots of differnet stuff would be a nice memorial, then they came up iwith the awful fountain.

I may be totally off base but often times white flowers are used in remembrance of the dead as it symbolizes the restoration of innocence to the departed soul. Hence the white tulips and the white forget-me-nots.

Just an odd thought.

OK. Don't listen to whatever other people say that point to reasons that its very possible why Harry, himself, says that he has very few memories of his mother. His words obviously don't mean anything either when it comes to forming an opinion.

To keep insisting that what you think is the credible truth actually just degrades the value of your opinions. Its how things work. I lean towards believing what Harry, himself, has stated.

I'm rather shocked personally if he Really doesn't remember his mother much. I've read that she used to sit with him in her arms watching TV, she spent as much time with him as she could in her position. he was "the baby" of her family..and she adored him.
I think it is possible that he may not want to share memories.. or possibly he has blotted them out..but poor Diana...

I'm rather shocked personally if he Really doesn't remember his mother much. I've read that she used to sit with him in her arms watching TV, she spent as much time with him as she could in her position. he was "the baby" of her family..and she adored him.

I think it is possible that he may not want to share memories.. or possibly he has blotted them out..but poor Diana...

It's been 20 years, I can completely understand why Henry cannot remember memories he made with his mother when he was in his teens. Does anybody remember being sat with their mother as a child watching TV? I certainly don't and my mum is still with me. Most children make new memories with their parents which Henry and William never got that chance.

If Henry says he can't remember his mother, I'd be inclined to agree with me.

But he lost his mother, so you'd think that any memories are very precious and cherished and (while I'm not saying he talks about her every day) you'd think that he would have done his best to hold onto the memories, to discuss them with William and if he has forgotten some of the stuff intiially because it was too painful, as time's passed he and Will could have gradually recovered and pooled what they could recall fo their Mother.
My mother died a long time ago, and I have many memories of her, funny things she did, routine things like Making tea or sewing things.. or gardening.

White flowers are an important element for something called 'The White Garden'

Quite! :)

From what I have read the garden has been created with Diana's favourite flowers. The white Forget-Me-Nots apparently were a particular favourite.

Possibly not a coincidence that Harry's charity Sentebale in Sesotho, translates as Forget Me Not.

It's been 20 years, I can completely understand why Henry cannot remember memories he made with his mother when he was in his teens. Does anybody remember being sat with their mother as a child watching TV? I certainly don't and my mum is still with me. Most children make new memories with their parents which Henry and William never got that chance.

If Henry says he can't remember his mother, I'd be inclined to agree with me.

Me being pedantic but Harry would have no memories of Diana from his teens. He didn't become a teenager until a week or so after her funeral.

I would be surprised if he has no memories of his mother - but then again she did only spend about six weeks a year with him from the time he was eight as he was at boarding school and then split between his parents with half of each holiday period with each parent.

For that reason I suspect that the memories are more general rather than specific - so sitting watching TV is a general memory but exactly what they watched that made an impression - highly unlikely e.g. he may remember watching TV with her but not exactly what shows they were. He may remember that he went to fun parks but not a specific visit.

Early morning maths isn't my strong point :lol:

Those memories, sitting in her lap watching tv, are more than twenty years old.

Yes you have childhood memories, but as you get older they get fewer. You aren't bound to have very clear memories of small every day things. You are bound to remember more important or exciting things. Like the memories of the amusement park and riding splash mountain, making protection sick. Memories of the little things often slip away for anyone.

Unfortunately as he got older. Was at boarding school, his parents separating, the memories with his mom would be fewer.

It's not sad, it's reality. My mother always marvel at what I remember from my childhood. Prince William may have a few more memories as he was older. And the memories may stick with him more.

Harry certainly has memories of her but not the king of I can still hear her laugh kind.

Yes, I agree. Plus, Diana loved white flowers.:flowers:

I may be totally off base but often times white flowers are used in remembrance of the dead as it symbolizes the restoration of innocence to the departed soul. Hence the white tulips and the white forget-me-nots.

Just an odd thought.

:previous: Yes, I agree. I don't think that even his worst detractors could find anything wrong with this fundraising effort. :flowers:

I does seem a bit blatant! :eek:

It's a charity(?) so where does the money go?

:previous:

The Historic Royal Palaces receives any profits from products sold in the Kensington Palace gift shop - they are the charity that maintains the upkeep of the more public portions of Kensington Palace (as well as the Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace, Kew Palace). Any sales profits or donations to the HRP go towards upkeep costs.

Princess Diana's palace gardener speaks exclusively to HELLO! about his royal memories

"I've been connected with this garden at KP for about 35 years now, so it's very exciting this year to be doing the wonderful White Garden," he said, adding that during Diana's time at the palace he looked after the White Garden and State Apartment ground at the palace. "I was lucky enough to work here at that time, and the princess would often walk past and admire the colours that were appearing in the garden."

Roya Nikkhah‏ @RoyaNikkhah
@ITV announces a new documentary celebrating the life and work of Diana, Princess of Wales, marking the 20th anniversary of her death

The Duke of Cambridge & #PrinceHarry will "talk openly about their mother and how her influence has shaped their lives" for the documentary

The @OxfordFilmTV documentary "will show Diana in a way she has never been seen before through the eyes of the two people who knew her best."

William and Harry speak openly about their mother in new anniversary film - ITV News

Last edited:
:previous: This documentary should be fascinating. I look forward to hearing from some new voices.

@ITV announces a new documentary celebrating the life and work of Diana, Princess of Wales, marking the 20th anniversary of her death

The Duke of Cambridge & #PrinceHarry will "talk openly about their mother and how her influence has shaped their lives" for the documentary

The @OxfordFilmTV documentary "will show Diana in a way she has never been seen before through the eyes of the two people who knew her best."

William and Harry speak openly about their mother in new anniversary film - ITV News
There is also a 2 hour documentary coming on, this Sunday night, on ABC--for any US fans like myself.
It's called "The Last 100 Days of Diana".

I'm looking forward to watching this documentary. At least, I hope to watch it, if it's bought by an Australian TV channel.

What a marvellous Award, and how proud Diana would be of her sons. I bet she was up there absolutely beaming with pride. All the nominees for this award are terrific. Imagine being physically disabled and yet still devoted to helping others for example! Well done to them all!

I can't dictate the princes feelings, but, none of if is their fault. There's plenty of blame to spread around to the many adults that surrounded them and the ignorant people who put Diana and others in the car in that situation in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom