The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-31-2017, 02:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It was a very dignified departure from Paris and she was welcomed back home in a dignified way too. Very royal!

Yes, I agree. I was too upset to watch live but I saw photos later. It was poignant and dignified as it should have been.

In Christopher Anderson's " Diana's Boys" he wrote that the trip back across the Channel with Diana's coffin was a nightmare for all involved. Diana's sisters Lady Jane and Lady Sarah were weeping and continually crying out for "Duch, Duch, Duch!", and poor Charles was so undone he sat in the back of the plane drinking and talking on the phone to the Prime Minister for much of the voyage.

Honestly Dman, I know you said it's more about celebrating her life than grieving and I agree 100% but I find all of this incredibly painful to remember. I miss the late princess but will be glad when this week is over.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-31-2017, 04:26 PM
Courtier

I have watched some of the stuff that is on tv when I come across it. And after seeing all of it 20 yrs on, I have come to the conclusion that I admire Charles. He handled her death in a very dignified way and made sure that it was not turned into a circus. I can also see that he actually loved her in a way that no one but Charles will ever understand. It obviously was not the way Diana needed and/or wanted to be loved, but he did love her none the less.
He did not have to go to Paris to get her. They were already divorced and had moved on. He could have left it to her family to go to her. Or he could have sent his aides. But he did it because he wanted to. He did it for him and for the boys. Because of Charles, she really did leave Paris as a Princess. Not as a celebrity.
It's amazing the things you notice when you re-watch things years later.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:54 PM
Majesty

Perfectly stated.

If I ever had any doubts about Charles' true feelings for Diana they were resolved by the way he handled the trauma of her tragic death. Even though there was no time during that hellish week when he lost his composure in public his face and overall demeanor said it all.

The Prince of Wales is many things but he is not an actor, imo.

I feel very very sad for both of them, but at least Charles got a second chance. And I for one am happy that he did.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-31-2017, 05:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

why would he lose his composure??? he was still fond of Diana, and I think it is obvous that he was grieved, but he wasn't broken hearted. And I find it hard to believe that he was drinking on the flight home.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:20 PM
Majesty

With all due respect Denville how do you know how the Prince of Wales felt deep in his heart about the unhappy young woman who was the mother of his children? He wore a suit she favored to her funeral, he continued to wear his wedding ring even though he was in a relationship with another woman, and even his principal shill/biographer Penny Junor has written about his intense depression in the weeks that followed the tragedy.

And why is it hard to believe that he had a drink of two on the plane home? The author never suggested that he was intoxicated.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
he wasn't broken hearted.
Not broken hearted for himself, perhaps, but devastated for his Sons.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:35 PM
Majesty

Exactly. As any good parent who loves his/her children and sees them suffering would be.

Also, just because Charles was not in love with his ex-wife doesn't mean he didn't care for her, and was not as shocked as the rest of the world was by the sudden violence of her death.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

I said that he cared for her and it was obvious that he was grieved, but I can't imagine he would be broken hearted over a woman he had been at odds with for years... when he was Living with another woman who had been his lover and close friend for a longer time. And he's not likely to lose his composure nor IMO to be drinking.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I don't know if it's been mentioned here already but there was a programme on British TV called Diana: The Day Britain Cried and at first I wasn't going to watch it because I thought it wouldn't be very good; but I'm glad I watched it because there was some good footage of the funeral and events leading up to it (none that we haven't seen before; but still worth watching again). If you're not from the UK it also gives you a good idea of the mood of the country at the time of Diana's death, so it's worth a watch for that reason - although many know about the UK's mood in 1997 now, I would still recommend it. It was also nice to hear tidbits from those who were involved in the funeral.

It was lovely to see the Cambridges and Prince Harry visit the memorial, and it was really nice that they read all the individual messages of sympathy. I particularly liked the clip were they were looking at photos people had put up at the memorial of them with their mother as young children. Those would be nice memories to share with Catherine, who never got to experience Diana on a personal level (or at least, not that I know of); and also George and Charlotte (and any future children of Harry).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-31-2017, 05:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I said that he cared for her and it was obvious that he was grieved, but I can't imagine he would be broken hearted over a woman he had been at odds with for years... when he was Living with another woman who had been his lover and close friend for a longer time. And he's not likely to lose his composure nor IMO to be drinking.
By most accounts they(Charles and Diana) were no longer at odds at the time of her death. She had written him a lovely letter on the death of his godfather, he called her and even stopped by for tea at Kensington Palace on occasion. In videotape of the two of them arriving for William's Confirmation they greet one another with an affectionate kiss.

There are a couple of ways to interpret author Anderson's description of the PoW "drinking" on the flight home. One is that he was drunk and stumbling and forgetting names, another is that he simply requested a drink from the stewards to steady his nerves from the harrowing experiences he had just gone through and would face ahead.

I am pretty certain it was the latter.

I have no problem believing that at all, unless Prince Charles is well known as a non drinker.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:08 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Sitting in the back and drinking and on his phone, to me, mostly signifies that he was phoning ahead and perhaps working on the funeral arrangements, the pick up at the airport in the UK and getting things in order.

Drinking could mean anything. It could be tea, coffee, a Pepsi or a stiff bourbon. I would opt for caffeine as he'd been through a harrowing night, then the flight to Paris to retrieve the body and that experience had to have been nerve jangling to say the least. Charles has the kind of personality that doesn't stop when he's set his mind to doing something.

He most certainly did not look soused at arriving at the airport in the UK.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

They were being polite. Diana knew that she would look bad to the public if she kept on the war of the Waleses, so she acted politely, and she also was keeping up a polite front for the children's sake.. but I think she was still unhappy and angry at being replaced by Camilla and while Charles had problaby stopped being furiously angry with her, by then, I don't think he was likely to be heart broken at her death.
Sad yes, but hardly upset to the point where he was likely to break down in public.
He has never done that.
And he's not, as far as I know, much of a drinker..
I dotn know what Chirstopher Andersen is likely as a royal biographer but I am not sure if he's always accurate.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

As Charles is a virtual teetotaller I doubt he drunk that much on the plane. Maybe he had one drink - or maybe he was drinking water and the author left out that word to make people believe it was alcohol - to paint him in a bad light.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Drinking could mean anything. It could be tea, coffee, a Pepsi or a stiff bourbon. I would opt for caffeine as he'd been through a harrowing night, then the flight to Paris to retrieve the body and that experience had to have been nerve jangling to say the least. Charles has the kind of personality that doesn't stop when he's set his mind to doing something.

He most certainly did not look soused at arriving at the airport in the UK.
drinking means drinking alcohol. Of course he wasn't likely to be drinking to any kind of point where he might appear drunk in public.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:16 PM
Majesty

He was obviously not intoxicated at any point during that week, but why would he have been if he had had an alcoholic drink or two on the way back to London to steady his nerves after what he had been through?

Old 08-31-2017, 08:23 PM
Aristocracy

20 years later, Diana, Princess of Wales continues to be inspirational for millions of people of all races around the world.

She is missed and will always be missed.

I wonder how the other members of the British Royal Family felt when they heard the news that she died in the car crash at the hospital.

Especially Princesses Alexandra and Alice.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Yes, I agree. I was too upset to watch live but I saw photos later. It was poignant and dignified as it should have been.

In Christopher Anderson's " Diana's Boys" he wrote that the trip back across the Channel with Diana's coffin was a nightmare for all involved. Diana's sisters Lady Jane and Lady Sarah were weeping and continually crying out for "Duch, Duch, Duch!", and poor Charles was so undone he sat in the back of the plane drinking and talking on the phone to the Prime Minister for much of the voyage.

Honestly Dman, I know you said it's more about celebrating her life than grieving and I agree 100% but I find all of this incredibly painful to remember. I miss the late princess but will be glad when this week is over.
Christopher Andersen's books are a bunch of gossipy drivel, in my opinion. I tend to take a lot of what he writes with a large mound of salt.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

US press coverage has been common and tragically insipid all day long IMHO.

The message:
Diana changed the world
Charles is in hiding, because, well how would you face out on this anniversary
The boys are her legacy

All of that has truth in it, but it is just so americanized I hate it.

Those of us old enough, remember the day she died. I remember how shocked and muddled I felt. I was so proud for the British public for coming out to mourn her. I did worry for Wills and Harry, because they were at such vulnerable ages, and I did not trust Charles to keep her memory alive with the boys (I should have - he has been so good with that). Even then, I understood the Queen's style enough that I understood her reaction - and even empathized with it. But I also thought she was missing the point of the modern public reaction and was so happy when she figured out that stiff upper lip was not enough any more. I did not care much for Charles at that point, and it peeved me that he walked in the cortege. I had NO IDEA the children were less than enthusiastic about that long walk. In fact, they seemed to me to be very grounded at the funeral.

Finally, I remember thinking that Diana had made bad choices. Not that I blamed her for her death. I did just wish she had made more thought-out, less risky choices on that final day. As someone who has taken, and learned from risky behavior, I'd be dishonest to not admit that.

And I also remember knowing how much I would miss her going forward. Still do.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

Her passing was very upsetting, but I'm glad William and Harry are taking charge of these commemorations, her life and legacy. It's what I've been waiting for them to do. Even with the private re-dedication service at her grave, and the Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace exhibitions, it let us know this is a family effort to keep her memory alive.

Let's not forget that there will be the statue unveiled later this year. I think this will be a Spencer and royal family and public event.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-31-2017, 09:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Her passing was very upsetting, but I'm glad William and Harry are taking charge of these commemorations, her life and legacy. It's what I've been waiting for them to do. Even with the private re-dedication service at her grave, and the Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace exhibitions, it let us know this is a family effort to keep her memory alive.

Let's not forget that there will be the statue unveiled later this year. I think this will be a Spencer and royal family and public event.
True, all the members of the BRF should be there, including Anne, Alexandra, and Princesses Michael and Richard.