The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2017, 09:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It all make my blood boil though. I really dislike people using Diana to abuse Charles and trying raise friction between the the princes she left behind.tje media is doing this and folks online. I think it's very sick.
I think you called this one correctly. We each bring our own prejudices to the way we see things.

In the BBC interview, they said their father helped them so much, sympathised with their father having to be the one to break the news to them and wondering how he did it. Qualifying that by referring to him dealing with his own grief at the same time.

There are so many that believe in hate camps and would have shouted down the possibility of Charles even caring, yet his sons were there and they know what happened, what they saw and felt much as it goes against the grain of many peoples ideas of the last 20 years.

As to these posters still faulting HM for taking the boys to church, in the first place we don't know that she made them do anything. They may have just sought solace in the routine of their lives. But HM is a woman of deep faith . . . where else would she be? I know how devasted I was when my father died when I was 14 and you better believe that God was my first call and Church was the first place I went for undisturbed solace.

I would wish that having watched the documentaries that people would stop treating Charles like he is evil personified that is incapable of doing any good. Of all the faults he may or may not have, his sons have acquitted him of spite and neglect.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Frankly, I've been seeing discussions of the interviews as being damaging to Charles as pure hogwash. If William and Harry omitted slinging platitudes of praise about their father doing interviews on memories of their mother, it was done subconsciously as I believe they were compartmentalizing.

When William is being interviewed about United for Wildlife or Harry about the Invictus Games, they're not going to start speaking out about William's work with EAAA or Harry's Sentebale in Lesotho but stick to the script talking exclusively about what the subject matter is. In this case, it was their mother.

I think too that should the boys have stated things like "My mother would do (fill in the blanks) but then my father would (fill in the blanks) or "My father was severely at a loss of what to do when my mother died", the media would have found a way to twist and turn those statements into a recap of the War of the Wales too. That was their aim. To cause dissension. William and Harry couldn't have said anything that wouldn't have been twisted to suit the media that likes to pander to people that want dissension.

There has never been any doubt in my mind that everyone in the Windsor side of the family pulled together as a whole to surround William and Harry with love, support and understanding when this tragedy occured and have stuck by these two men ever since. Charles, William and Harry may not always be in each other's back pockets but there is no indication to me that there is any kind of discord between them.
The doubts arose because the princes themselves said they weren't given any support to deal with their mothers' death. Now they are saying the family was there for them - which is it - no support or support?

These are conflicting statements - so they lied in one of them - but which one - the 'no support in coping' or 'had support'.

What about Harry - 'no child should have to walk behind the coffin' or 'glad I walked behind the coffin' - which is the truth? Again one is a lie but which one.

Sorry - I can no longer believe either of them as they have been shown to be liars during these interviews with saying one thing in one interview and the opposite now.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Surely the media questioned the Church appearance at Balmoral at the time more because the minister did not mention the Princess of Wales, did not ask for prayers for her to be given and kept a (inappropriate) joke in his sermon which he had written before the news came?

Later on he stated that neither the RF nor their officials had asked for any change in the service, ie a prayer for the princes' mother to be included. I remember it was that which was criticised rather than the boys going to church per se, though they were photographed in the car, which must have been unpleasant.

It's fine IMO that they went to church but the minister could have kept it short, and prayed for Diana.

On Twitter people are speculating that Clarence House has it fingerprints all over this latest interview, even if they were all done in March.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:15 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
My thoughts are that perhaps by stating "no support" they were referring to the support and counseling that is more prominent today when dealing with trauma issues and its mental repercussions. With their experiences campaigning for mental health, the differences between support now and 20 years ago probably stands out.

To be honest, I don't think they meant to include their family in that group of "no support" but rather figured that the world knew and saw that their father and their family were there for them 100% because basically, that's what families do and it did get them through this terrible time.

That's my take on it anyways. I do not believe they were throwing stones at their own family whatsoever.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

Seems strange , no mention of Charles there was a big sook ! Now we have more and a mention about him. I think it was all filmed in march but some bits that didn't make the first cut are now added ! Was there pressure from above ??
Old 08-23-2017, 10:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Considering that this was about William Harry and their Mother I don't see why Charles was ever going to be in it. When he dies they no doubt will talk about him
Old 08-23-2017, 10:40 PM
Courtier

You said that Brilliantly Marge, just perfect! No one knows what really happened there at that time yet many make Charles the evil out of all this. He is so underestimated and misunderstood man of his times. He loved and loves his children deeply and wants only what is very best for them for they in the very end are *his children* after all. This is one very strong family unit who has stood the tests of time and anger and hate and are still strong to this very day. Now let the haters be at rest and stop this discontent for it shows just how horrible the human race can be at times. Let Diana rest in peace for all times and move on!
Old 08-23-2017, 11:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post

You said that Brilliantly Marge, just perfect! No one knows what really happened there at that time yet many make Charles the evil out of all this. He is so underestimated and misunderstood man of his times. He loved and loves his children deeply and wants only what is very best for them for they in the very end are *his children* after all. This is one very strong family unit who has stood the tests of time and anger and hate and are still strong to this very day. Now let the haters be at rest and stop this discontent for it shows just how horrible the human race can be at times. Let Diana rest in peace for all times and move on!
Amen! And let William and Harry deal with their own memories without having the general public trying to tell them what they should think.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-24-2017, 03:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The doubts arose because the princes themselves said they weren't given any support to deal with their mothers' death. Now they are saying the family was there for them - which is it - no support or support?

These are conflicting statements - so they lied in one of them - but which one - the 'no support in coping' or 'had support'.

What about Harry - 'no child should have to walk behind the coffin' or 'glad I walked behind the coffin' - which is the truth? Again one is a lie but which one.

Sorry - I can no longer believe either of them as they have been shown to be liars during these interviews with saying one thing in one interview and the opposite now.
Indeed, I feel the gentlemen should shut op. The same with the claim that Prince Philip used a four letter word when confronted with "Blair spin" that the boys would have to walk behind the coffin. Well, in the end the boys simply walked behind the coffin anyway, strong four letter word or not...

I feel this was a tragic event which led to never-seen eruptions of mass emotions but what happens these days is really milking, milking and milking an old cow completely dry, and the two boys are helping torturing the poor old cow by feeding the milk machine...

They shoudld have gone the way of their grandparents and parents: friendly waving and remembering the poor soul of the late Diana in private
Old 08-24-2017, 03:24 AM
Heir Apparent

The brothers have a perfect right to talk about the mother they loved so much 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 years after her death if they wish to. They loved her, were inspired by her work, and want to talk about it. They've been silent about her for most of their adult lives.

What 'friendly waving' did Charles (the boys' remaining parent) do on the day of the funeral? He looked sad and worried. And also walked with them. So did grandfather Prince Philip. The Queen (grandmother) didn't restrict herself to remembering Diana in private. She, and other members of the Royal family, came out of BP and bowed their heads as the cortege moved by. They attended the funeral. Hardly private, any of it, nor any friendly waving. They'd been all absolutely stunned by public reaction.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

Payton
You say "no one knows what really happened at that time " and then tell us Charles loves them and are a close family so if we don't know what happened because we weren't there how did we know what sort of father Charles is ??
Old 08-24-2017, 05:46 AM
Majesty

You are right Rob, we don't know what sort of father Charles, or any other royal father for that matter, is. But William and Harry spoke about him and I do believe we can accept their version of how much they are loved rather than the tabloids.

As to the Minister not speaking about Diana I can only see it as the beginning of protecting the boy and if HM was removing televisions and hiding newspapers, I should think the last thing anyone wanted was for Diana to be mentioned in the prayers for the dead for the very simple reason that the boys would undoubtedly have been upset, perhaps even cry and they had yet to return to the safety of Balmoral.

Bertie, your comments about walking behind the coffin are answered by William and Harry themselves when the talk about the weird and strange behaviour of members of the public wailing and crying. Nobody knew that would happen.

Nobody could have imagined that half the goings on following Diana's death would have happened. After all, it wasn't terribly British and as I watched from NZ I have to admit to being creeped out at times. The nearest thing I had ever seen was a documentary of Eva Peron's funeral.

Such events had never happened before in Britain and will probably never happen again. But the saddest thing of all for me is that those who are one side or the other of the Charles/Diana divide are now basically calling William and Harry liars for saying anything positive about their father or worse, accusing him of having the documentary "altered" to reflect a love and care for his sons that didn't and obviously doesn't exist.

Does anyone else think that we've just hit an all-time low with such sick accusations?
Old 08-24-2017, 05:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Does anyone else think that we've just hit an all-time low with such sick accusations?
Well. YES.. but nothing surprises "Never apologise and [especially] NEVER EXPLAIN" would certainly have been my advice to those most closely involved in this tragedy...

Anything and everything 'made public' has been and will be distorted and re-interpreted to suit different narratives, so silence will always be the wisest option...
Old 08-24-2017, 05:58 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
All I'll say is that even in the worse of times, both Charles and Diana were in agreement on how to raise their sons. When Diana died, I don't think that Charles would have just walked away from his role as a parent. We don't know what they're like in private, that's a given but then again, I've never seen any inkling of discord between father and sons either.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Nobility

IMO it is entirely possible that the princes experienced and still experience conflicting emotions about the break up of their parents' marriage and later on their mother's death thus the contradictory comments.

Charles is their father and they love him. At the same time they may loathe him for causing their mother so much pain. Families are complicated that way.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I agree. That could very much be the case. And it could well have been twenty years of such conflicting emotions.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

"Loath" is a very strong word to speculate about...imo...
Old 08-24-2017, 11:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
IMO it is entirely possible that the princes experienced and still experience conflicting emotions about the break up of their parents' marriage and later on their mother's death thus the contradictory comments.

Charles is their father and they love him. At the same time they may loathe him for causing their mother so much pain. Families are complicated that way.
If we're going down that route its also possible that although they love their mother they loathe her for how she behaved during the War of the Waleses. She might've been an English rose but she was no shrinking violet.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
If we're going down that route its also possible that although they love their mother they loathe her for how she behaved during the War of the Waleses. She might've been an English rose but she was no shrinking violet.
No, they didn't loathe their mother for her behavior during the break up. Listen and read all the interviews William and Harry has done this year.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-24-2017, 11:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I don't think this is the last of it. "The Crown" (which is Netflix's #1 show) plans to do two seasons on Charles and Diana. The creator and writer says Diana will be introduced at the end of season 3 and will be the focus of season 4&5. So if anything, a whole new generation will be introduced to Diana.
I love The Crown. I will be very interested to see how they handle the Charles and Diana story. I have heard that the Queen and Prince Philip watch it--not sure if that is true.