The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2017, 01:40 PM
Majesty

IIRC they were done back in March..or at least I read something that said that's when they were done.

LaRae

Old 08-23-2017, 03:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
People read too much into things and throw around accusations for the sake of it.
The press? Or members of.... this board?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-23-2017, 03:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

William did say in the GQ interview that the media want the same kind of drama from the past. Nothing would please the media more if there was major friction between Charles and his sons. They would get tons of mileage out of a story like that.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
William did say in the GQ interview that the media want the same kind of drama from the past. Nothing would please the media more if there was major friction between Charles and his sons. They would get tons of mileage out of a story like that.

They don't have any good juicy stories like when York, Wales and Phillips marriages were failing. No pictures of Kate get her toes sucked by another guy. No secret love child or taped phone calls. The Cambridges are boring now but they still have the loved up body language so they can't really speculate that there is trouble other than blowing the dad dancing video way out of proportion.

Charles is the easiest target to paint as the villain when it comes to W&H.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Gentry

There we go :

Charles 'was there for us' when Diana died, Prince Harry says - ITV News

Quote :

Prince William said: “It was a very hard decision for my grandmother to make. She felt very torn between being the grandmother to William and Harry and her Queen role. And I think everyone was surprised and taken aback by the scale of what happened and the nature of how quickly it all happened plus the fact that she [Diana] was, or had been, challenging the Royal Family for many years beforehand.”

Lady Sarah McCorquodale told the programme that “if you were the grandmother of a 12 year old and a 15 year old whose mother had just been killed in a car crash, she [the Queen] did absolutely the right thing.”

Lady Sarah added: “Why would you bring them to London? Why don’t you let them get over the start of the shock in the bosom of their family?”

End of......
Old 08-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
They don't have any good juicy stories like when York, Wales and Phillips marriages were failing. No pictures of Kate get her toes sucked by another guy. No secret love child or taped phone calls. The Cambridges are boring now but they still have the loved up body language so they can't really speculate that there is trouble other than blowing the dad dancing video way out of proportion.

Charles is the easiest target to paint as the villain when it comes to W&H.
It all make my blood boil though. I really dislike people using Diana to abuse Charles and trying raise friction between the the princes she left behind.tje media is doing this and folks online. I think it's very sick.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-23-2017, 06:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

All the scheduled TV Specials on Diana-
Princess Diana: A guide to all the anniversary specials

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-23-2017, 06:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
There we go :

Charles 'was there for us' when Diana died, Prince Harry says - ITV News

Quote :

Prince William said: “It was a very hard decision for my grandmother to make. She felt very torn between being the grandmother to William and Harry and her Queen role. And I think everyone was surprised and taken aback by the scale of what happened and the nature of how quickly it all happened plus the fact that she [Diana] was, or had been, challenging the Royal Family for many years beforehand.”

Lady Sarah McCorquodale told the programme that “if you were the grandmother of a 12 year old and a 15 year old whose mother had just been killed in a car crash, she [the Queen] did absolutely the right thing.”

Lady Sarah added: “Why would you bring them to London? Why don’t you let them get over the start of the shock in the bosom of their family?”

End of......

But she took them to church hours after being told their mother died in full view of media.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
But she took them to church hours after being told their mother died in full view of media.

And if she had gone to church without them the media would have accused her of abandoning them.

Give me a break! JMHO
Old 08-23-2017, 07:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
And if she had gone to church without them the media would have accused her of abandoning them.

Give me a break! JMHO

No she wouldn't , even better no one go I'm sure the minister would go to them to help them.
Give me a break
Old 08-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Heir Apparent

20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

When is going to church after something bad has occurred such a terrible thing. The whole of the U.K. press corps was not hanging ourself Crathie Kirk. It was probably a small media presence. We get pictures of the royals going to church every week when the Queen is Balmoral or Sandringham
Old 08-23-2017, 07:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Have a look at their faces and tell me we needed to see that. Anyway we all have different views. I think it was wrong
Old 08-23-2017, 08:18 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Frankly, I've been seeing discussions of the interviews as being damaging to Charles as pure hogwash. If William and Harry omitted slinging platitudes of praise about their father doing interviews on memories of their mother, it was done subconsciously as I believe they were compartmentalizing.

When William is being interviewed about United for Wildlife or Harry about the Invictus Games, they're not going to start speaking out about William's work with EAAA or Harry's Sentebale in Lesotho but stick to the script talking exclusively about what the subject matter is. In this case, it was their mother.

I think too that should the boys have stated things like "My mother would do (fill in the blanks) but then my father would (fill in the blanks) or "My father was severely at a loss of what to do when my mother died", the media would have found a way to twist and turn those statements into a recap of the War of the Wales too. That was their aim. To cause dissension. William and Harry couldn't have said anything that wouldn't have been twisted to suit the media that likes to pander to people that want dissension.

There has never been any doubt in my mind that everyone in the Windsor side of the family pulled together as a whole to surround William and Harry with love, support and understanding when this tragedy occured and have stuck by these two men ever since. Charles, William and Harry may not always be in each other's back pockets but there is no indication to me that there is any kind of discord between them.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Re: church, well, I think it was wrong for the press to cover them going to church at the time.

The Queen, as head of the COE (not to mention what I think is a very strong personal faith) should be showing/leading her family (future KOE and his brother) that in time of need, church is an excellent place to go to reflect and seek wisdom/help/grace.

As opposed to the press, thinking "great money shot" in the same way the paps hung in that underpass and took photos of the Princess as she was dying.

It would be convenient but cowardly to say "We will pray at home, because of the paps."
JMO

Edit - and to be fair to the press, of course, they went to Balmoral, expecting a statement. My issue would be that they did not stick to a statement, but took pictures of the family instead
Old 08-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Given the Queen's deep faith, church would be a natural place for her to believe one would go after a death. Especially if one always goes to church when at Balmoral. I doubt they thought there would be more than the usual limited media hanging about. They generally only get coming or going photos.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Charles, William and Harry may not always be in each other's back pockets but there is no indication to me that there is any kind of discord between them.
I agree. These are three adult men who have their own lives, their own charities, events, interests, friends... Harry is courting, William has a young family and Charles has a wife. It is ridiculous to think that because they don't give us happy family photo ops there is discord.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Given the Queen's deep faith, church would be a natural place for her to believe one would go after a death. Especially if one always goes to church when at Balmoral. I doubt they thought there would be more than the usual limited media hanging about. They generally only get coming or going photos.
This is normal behaviour when at Balmoral - all staying there go to church. No reason to think she strong armed them.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-23-2017, 09:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is normal behaviour when at Balmoral - all staying there go to church. No reason to think she strong armed them.
No I don't think they were forced to go--it was the customary practice to attend service on Sunday morning and probably it was just natural and a fragment of normal to attend church that day. But if the Queen did think about it she probably thought church would be a good place to be because of her strong faith.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:16 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Going to church the morning after receiving the news of Diana's death was, to me, the most appropriate thing to do. Not only because of the Queen's deep faith but when crisis hits, there is strength to be found in a place of worship and prayer.

Its very normal for people to exclaim "OMG!" when things happen either good or bad but to a lot of people its just an exclamation. I think one of the things that happened at Balmoral immediately after Diana's death was that they all tried to support the boys by maintaining a sense of normalcy as in keeping active going out stalking and such and going to church was a part of that. They didn't want the boys to just sit there wallowing in misery but rather keeping active while reflecting on their loss within the seclusion of the family. They also removed TV and radio from easy access to shelter the boys even more from what was then pretty much 24/7 coverage.

I cannot fault the measures that the Windsor family took to support and console William and Harry during this time. The family was there for them and that's what they needed the most at the time.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think one of the things that happened at Balmoral immediately after Diana's death was that they all tried to support the boys by maintaining a sense of normalcy as in keeping active going out stalking and such and going to church was a part of that. They didn't want the boys to just sit there wallowing in misery but rather keeping active while reflecting on their loss within the seclusion of the family. They also removed TV and radio from easy access to shelter the boys even more from what was then pretty much 24/7 coverage.

I cannot fault the measures that the Windsor family took to support and console William and Harry during this time. The family was there for them and that's what they needed the most at the time.
I wholeheartedly agree that keeping them active, surrounded by family and maintaining their normal routine as much as possible was the right decision to take. It's fortunate that they were not living in an era in which the internet would be available on a small mobile device.