The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-22-2017, 08:22 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think this is a pretty fitting thing to do. The White Garden has been planted in memory of Diana and with her sons gathering with the charities that Diana supported in her lifetime, it reinforces the idea that her sons are her legacy that will continue her work into the future.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I've been thinking about Diana every day, Dman, and of course feeling very sad that she was taken years too soon.

This is a little snippet from Sky news about the new documentary in which her sons speak of hearing of her death, the French paps, and their father and grandmother trying to protect them, hiding newspapers etc. at Balmoral.

Harry: Paparazzi chased Princess Diana then photographed her dying

Old 08-22-2017, 09:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I've been thinking about Diana every day, Dman, and of course feeling very sad that she was taken years too soon.

This is a little snippet from Sky news about the new documentary in which her sons speak of hearing of her death, the French paps, and their father and grandmother trying to protect them, hiding newspapers etc. at Balmoral.

Harry: Paparazzi chased Princess Diana then photographed her dying
Ah-Ha! And there you have it--Harry and William say their father and grandmother were there for them after their mother's death.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Statements that will hopefully put some of the speculation about their relationship with Charles, Elizabeth and Phillip to rest.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

So Charles has a mention so everyone should be happy now.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

That's the only reason why people were getting so upset. They hadn't mentioned their father yet. People should know that those boys love their father very dearly and of course he was there for them. Including The Queen and Prince Philip. The whole family rallied around them.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Majesty

It still doesn't all add up for me. Charles gets a mention but that doesn't explain why royal commentators said how hurt he is over William and Harry's comments and how it's impacted his popularity.

I don't like conspiracy theories but it appears to be some element of damage control being done.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

William and Harry reveal reaction to Princess Diana's death

Old 08-23-2017, 08:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
It still doesn't all add up for me. Charles gets a mention but that doesn't explain why royal commentators said how hurt he is over William and Harry's comments and how it's impacted his popularity.

I don't like conspiracy theories but it appears to be some element of damage control being done.
Exactly - this is too little too late. The damage to Charles has been done and if they had a brain between them these nearly middle-aged men would have realised that impact that they would be having on their father and his reputation and popularity. They simply don't care about him and this is simply damage control done as a reaction to the really negative press Charles has been receiving - no doubt they were ordered to say something positive about their father.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:14 AM
Nobility

Since, according to Richard Palmer, the interviews for all three (2 documentaries + Newsweek) were done in March, I disagree that the BBC one is damage control.

I think it's more likely that:
  • in the ITV documentary they had control over they feared to antagonize people by mentioning Charles in a Diana hagiography,
  • in the Newsweek article, Harry simply didn't have editorial control -- there's no way to know whether or not he said something about Charles and it wasn't used.
https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...49026322366465

Richard Palmer‏Verified account @RoyalReporter 5h5 hours ago
More
For those asking, I'm told all three sets of William and Harry interviews - ITV, BBC, and Newsweek - were done around the same time in March
Old 08-23-2017, 09:30 AM
Majesty

So if all the royal Households were on board and the content of the interviews was know ahead of time, I don't understand why we had a months worth of articles over had bad it hurt Charles.

Check out the cover of Private EYe Magazine

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH56bm6W...jpg&name=large

Charles and Camilla have been slammed in the press and opinion polls. Then voila, we get a very positive BBC story.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

People read too much into things and throw around accusations for the sake of it.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
throw around accusations for the sake of it.
NO.. they do so for 'viewer numbers', print sales AND to sow division/damage reputations for their own purposes...
Old 08-23-2017, 09:53 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Well that tells me that royal commentators had no clue about how Charles was actually feeling. They took their own speculation and presented as fact.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

I think the Royal commentators felt hurt for him, rather than the other way around. The thing is the media didn't give William and Harry the chance to fully air out their feelings in marking this anniversary.

It's obvious their father, Charles, gave them the comfort they needed in the aftermath of their mother's death. Did anyone in their right mind actually thought Charles was cold to his own kids after their mother passed?

The big problem is, the media decided that they hadn't heard Charles come up yet in the interviews, so they ran with an exciting story that the boys were getting some revenge on their dad.

Folks on social media ran with the idea that there's a rift between father and sons, without fully allowing William and Harry to say what they wanted to say in all their interviews that was filmed in March.

Royal reporters, correspondents and royal watchers online, went into their own battle corners and decided Diana, William and Harry is ganging up on Charles and Camilla.

I said from the beginning that's not what's happening.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Since, according to Richard Palmer, the interviews for all three (2 documentaries + Newsweek) were done in March, I disagree that the BBC one is damage control.

I think it's more likely that:
  • in the ITV documentary they had control over they feared to antagonize people by mentioning Charles in a Diana hagiography,
  • in the Newsweek article, Harry simply didn't have editorial control -- there's no way to know whether or not he said something about Charles and it wasn't used.
https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...49026322366465

Richard Palmer‏Verified account @RoyalReporter 5h5 hours ago
More
For those asking, I'm told all three sets of William and Harry interviews - ITV, BBC, and Newsweek - were done around the same time in March
Thank you hel for finding this information regarding the brothers' interviews.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Majesty

The members of the press/media etc...should count themselves very fortunate for any cooperation given to them by William and Harry.

LaRae
Old 08-23-2017, 12:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Exactly - this is too little too late. The damage to Charles has been done and if they had a brain between them these nearly middle-aged men would have realised that impact that they would be having on their father and his reputation and popularity. They simply don't care about him and this is simply damage control done as a reaction to the really negative press Charles has been receiving - no doubt they were ordered to say something positive about their father.
Isn't this assessment a bit harsh?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Majesty

I'd say more than 'a bit'.

LaRae
Old 08-23-2017, 01:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Thank you hel for finding this information regarding the brothers' interviews.
If they were all done at the same time than it could be they didn't realise perhaps that they hadn't mentioned Charles or the Queen in all the interviews. By this I mean all 3 probably mould into one long interview in their minds so if they mentioned Charles and the Queen in the BBC one and it filmed first they might not have twigged how it would be perceived.

However, if the BBC interview was filmed after the other were broadcast then it does appear to be damage limitation IMO.