20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Actually I think it was Queen Mary's dictum: never complain, never explain, and we all love hospitals!
SNIP.......
The behaviour of Harry and the Cambridge's is beyond the pale. I doubt I will ever believe payback was not the intent. Had they loved their father they would have gone public to correct misunderstandings. They didn't and created another generation of Fairy-tale Princess fans to hound Charles to the grave.

A lovely tribute from the public and her sons to a woman who meant so much to so many. It was so sweet of Harry to place the flowers in the exact spot where this precious child wanted to leave for Diana. Thanks to ITV for the little video clip. :flowers:?

What a sweet video clip. It probably will be something that child will remember for the rest of his/her (couldn't tell) life. Its purely Harry though interacting and doing what he does best in making wherever he is a special occasion in some unscripted form or another. :D

Not a lot of people , not a lot of Flowers.
The British Monarchy is now on his best.
What will happen in Dianaland at her family Castle and in Paris at the Pont de l' Alma ?
We had on french and belgian TV special evenings about Princess Diana , but it was a flop.

I just looked at the DM story - mostly for the pics, but I did skim the content.

I thought William and Harry held up well. "Tell me stories about my mum" was brilliant. That Harry knows the value of being a good listener and letting the crowd do the work for you.

But I really do think, once they were alone they reflected on how heartwarming, surreal and unpredictictable it is, even 20 years on. That's how I feel, as well.

Not a lot of people , not a lot of Flowers.
The British Monarchy is now on his best.
What will happen in Dianaland at her family Castle and in Paris at the Pont de l' Alma ?
We had on french and belgian TV special evenings about Princess Diana , but it was a flop.

True. Diana, Princess of Wales will always be remembered.

Here she's remembered, and the Melbourne newspapers had specials on Diana, as well as magazine features. She was on the front covers. Diana was immensely popular in Australia.
I'm glad her sons were able to speak to KP gardeners and others who had memories of their mum. The gardens look beautiful and I'm sure her sons are remembering her and will visit 'her' garden in the future.

Altho' she was a difficult personality, [and much of what she did at the end of her marriage and life I dislike intensely] the late Princess' work with the Homeless and on AIDS was transformative. May she rest in Peace.

Here in the US, if you get the Reelz channel, they're running continuous programs on Diana and her family all day long. From what I've seen, most of the programs are newly made in 2017.

How relieved I will be when all this 20th anniversary commemoration stuff is over! So depressing and sad, and I am proud to admit I have not watched one TV special and I don't intend to. RIP Diana.

Next month on Sept 14th it will be the 35th anniversary of Princess Grace's car crash and I think all the "commemoration" will begin again-to a much lesser degree than what we are seeing with Diana.

I feel as bad for Princess Stephanie of Monaco and her siblings as I do for William and Harry. :sad:

Last edited:
How relieved I will be when all this 20th anniversary commemoration stuff is over! So depressing and sad, and I am proud to admit I have not watched one TV special and I don't intend to. RIP Diana.

Next month on Sept 14th it will be the 35 anniversary of Princess Grace's car crash and I think all the "commemoration" will begin again-to a much lesser degree than what we are seeing with Diana.

I feel as bad for Princess Stephanie of Monaco and her siblings as I do for William and Harry. :sad:

The anniversaries don't have to be sad and depressing. It's about celebrating the life and legacy 20 years and 35 years later.

Altho' she was a difficult personality, [and much of what she did at the end of her marriage and life I dislike intensely] the late Princess' work with the Homeless and on AIDS was transformative. May she rest in Peace.
Agree! But did she do it for the homeless or herself? That's the difficulty with admiring Diana for something, because she was very manipulative. And if we compare her charity work with that of Charles, then there's not much for us to brag about is it?

I've watched four documentaries: One from BBC, Two from ITV and one from Channel 5, but not the one from Sky News or the Channel 4 crap. I really enjoyed the touching interviews with William/Harry and the interviews with the courtier Sir Malcolm Ross.

And as you both wrote, May Diana rest in Peace.

If Charles had died suddenly in the summer of 1984 his record of charity work and causes may well not have been quite so admirable, though. Diana died at 36. Who knows what she might have accomplished at 56.

Lots of Diana coverage in Canada. The morning shows were about her and there are evening news specials tonight.

We've already had the documentaries in the UK, so there's nothing scheduled on regular channels like BBC One, ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5. But the News Channels has reporters outside Kensington Palace and has talked with royal commentators.

Last edited:
If Charles had died suddenly in the summer of 1984 his record of charity work and causes may well not have been quite so admirable, though. Diana died at 36. Who knows what she might have accomplished at 56.

Lord, isn't that the truth! She was taken so young and at the time she was about to embark on championing many other causes. She did a lot during that short time though. Folks just have to listen to the officials from the charities she was patron of.

Charles funded the Prince's Trust back in 1976. He was 28. The Prince's trust is one of the biggest charity in the UK. As far i know, it's quite admirable too.

Last edited:
I was making a point about Diana being gone too soon, and she may well have accomplished so much in the years since, in the areas of AIDS/HIV, anti-Landmines, homelessness and a great deal more.

Last edited:
For me one of the most poignant moment was the flag covered cofin exiting the Pitié de la Salpetriere, surrounded by the Republican guard, with the Prince of Wales, Jane, Sarah, President and Mrs Chirac looking on.

She left Paris as a true Princess.

Last edited:
For me one of the most poignant moment was the flag covered cofin exiting the Pitié de la Salpetriere, surrounded by the Republican guard, with the Prince of Wales, Jane, Sarah, President and Mrs Chirac looking on.

She left Paris as a true Princess.

It was a very dignified departure from Paris and she was welcomed back home in a dignified way too. Very royal!

Agree! But did she do it for the homeless or herself? That's the difficulty with admiring Diana for something, because she was very manipulative. And if we compare her charity work with that of Charles, then there's not much for us to brag about....

Who are we to judge the reasons Diana performed her duties? Perhaps Charles is only doing his duties to make himself look better? And she had only a decade to do what she did, while the PoW has had 40+ years to make his mark.

It was a very dignified departure from Paris and she was welcomed back home in a dignified way too. Very royal!

Yes, I agree. I was too upset to watch live but I saw photos later. It was poignant and dignified as it should have been.

In Christopher Anderson's " Diana's Boys" he wrote that the trip back across the Channel with Diana's coffin was a nightmare for all involved. Diana's sisters Lady Jane and Lady Sarah were weeping and continually crying out for "Duch, Duch, Duch!", and poor Charles was so undone he sat in the back of the plane drinking and talking on the phone to the Prime Minister for much of the voyage.

Honestly Dman, I know you said it's more about celebrating her life than grieving and I agree 100% but I find all of this incredibly painful to remember. I miss the late princess but will be glad when this week is over.:sad:

Last edited:
I have watched some of the stuff that is on tv when I come across it. And after seeing all of it 20 yrs on, I have come to the conclusion that I admire Charles. He handled her death in a very dignified way and made sure that it was not turned into a circus. I can also see that he actually loved her in a way that no one but Charles will ever understand. It obviously was not the way Diana needed and/or wanted to be loved, but he did love her none the less.
He did not have to go to Paris to get her. They were already divorced and had moved on. He could have left it to her family to go to her. Or he could have sent his aides. But he did it because he wanted to. He did it for him and for the boys. Because of Charles, she really did leave Paris as a Princess. Not as a celebrity.
It's amazing the things you notice when you re-watch things years later.

:previous:Perfectly stated.

If I ever had any doubts about Charles' true feelings for Diana they were resolved by the way he handled the trauma of her tragic death. Even though there was no time during that hellish week when he lost his composure in public his face and overall demeanor said it all.

The Prince of Wales is many things but he is not an actor, imo.

I feel very very sad for both of them, but at least Charles got a second chance. And I for one am happy that he did.

why would he lose his composure??? he was still fond of Diana, and I think it is obvous that he was grieved, but he wasn't broken hearted. And I find it hard to believe that he was drinking on the flight home.

:previous: With all due respect Denville how do you know how the Prince of Wales felt deep in his heart about the unhappy young woman who was the mother of his children? He wore a suit she favored to her funeral, he continued to wear his wedding ring even though he was in a relationship with another woman, and even his principal shill/biographer Penny Junor has written about his intense depression in the weeks that followed the tragedy.

And why is it hard to believe that he had a drink of two on the plane home? The author never suggested that he was intoxicated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom