The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-23-2017, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

My dad died 24 years ago and not a day goes by that I don't think or talk about him.

If that's living in the past then so be it.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:30 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Being divorced myself and the both of us have moved on and remarried, I've actually encouraged my kid to get to know and become close to their step mother. Its ridiculous to taint their relationship with people because my ex and I divorced and moved on in life.

Of course I think both George and Charlotte will see Camilla as a grandmother figure in their lives. At least I'd really hope so.

I'm in agreement also with Rudolph. We never forget those that we loved that have passed on. Keeping their memory alive keeps us close to them in a way and you talk about the ones you love with the ones you love and that would be normal for William to talk to George and Charlotte about his own "mummy".

Old 07-23-2017, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm not sure about this whole thing but I do believe that W&H are doing this from purely wanting to finally have their say.

I question how some of the papers are presenting it, but as William said when he previewed the film with the press 10 days ago (ish), this anniversary is the first and last time he and Harry will be doing this.

IT seems that William and Harry carry a lot around with them - as do many people who lose parents when they are young. Harry is naturally out-there and also probably remembers less. But William is more contained, and Diana talked about her emotions to him, so he remembers more.

I don't belong to the "Diana is perfect and a Saint" group of fans - I think what made her interesting was like everyone else she wasn't perfect. There are aspects that I disapproved of - one of which was leaning on William; the collaboration with Morton, and the interview - that unleashed a shedload of embarrassment on William that was cruel. (This is my opinion and I'm not going to get into a debate over it). What I do recognise absolutely was her love for her children, although I think she was sometimes irresponsible.

I also understand that Catherine has had to give an enormous amount of support to William and continues to do so. (EDIT: Harry's wife will also have to understand his loss)

What I am not looking forward to over the next 5-6 weeks is the wailing and crying of those who seek attention to themselves, rather than appreciate her life and the loss of her potential.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I suppose the children are encouraged then not to see Camilla as "granny". Before you ask, I know lots of families where stepmothers actually play the role of granny to their stepsons' children.
This is probably not your typical step-grandmother situation due to the circumstances that went on ...don't really think you can compare the Camilla situation to one like mine where I had a step-grandmother since my biological grandmother died when my mom was 19. But all that other baggage wasn't there.

LaRae
Old 07-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

It also explains why William makes sure the Middletons are not pushed aside like the families of others who married royals in the past were.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It also explains why William makes sure the Middletons are not pushed aside like the families of others who married royals in the past were.
Yes he made it very clear early on they would play a big part in the life of his family unit. I think this was for multiple reasons.

LaRae
Old 07-23-2017, 09:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I suppose the children are encouraged then not to see Camilla as "granny". Before you ask, I know lots of families where stepmothers actually play the role of granny to their stepsons' children.
That would be a shame. Camilla strikes me as an awesome granny, a better grandparent than Charles if I'm to be blunt.

There seems to be no problem with Tim being a "grandpa" to Savannah, Isla and Mia. Even though Tim was the "other man" in Mark and Anne's dysfunctional marriage. Letting Tim be a grandpa isn't betraying Mark.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:12 PM
Majesty

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
"I talk about Granny Diana constantly." Ugh. Poor George and Charlotte. That doesn't sound healthy to me. Let's hope there's some exaggeration at play here. I can't imagine having a parent obsessively living in the past, to the point that they talk about it "constantly", and they want it to be the last thing I think about before I go to sleep each night.

It's a good thing the kids have Catherine and I hope she's the dominant influence in their lives.
Ugh indeed! If he is talking about Diana constantly you really have to wonder. They are small children, how often are they going to be asking questions at this stage - never would be my belief.

I find the whole notion unhealthy but then I may be biased as one of my in-laws was taken to visit the grave of his elder brother every week. That child died before he was born. He spent his life trying vainly to equal the "perfect" son. He didn't make peace with himself until he was in his late twenties.

When things come up about someone you love who died it is quite natural that a conversation will evolve. But constantly talking about your mother who has been dead for 20 to your toddlers is more than a bit worrisome.
Quote:
Well, in view of the above, the children would find it difficult to differentiate between her and "our Granny which art in heaven".
Old 07-23-2017, 09:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Anyone that thinks Camilla is looked at as a grandmother to George and Charlotte is living in a another world. The baggage she brings will rule that out. Am sure she is happy with her own grandchildren
Old 07-23-2017, 09:40 PM
Aristocracy

Why is it presumed that because William talks about "Granny Diana", that Camilla isn't called some other name like Grandma Camilla or Nanna or some other endearment?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
"I talk about Granny Diana constantly." Ugh. Poor George and Charlotte. That doesn't sound healthy to me. Let's hope there's some exaggeration at play here. I can't imagine having a parent obsessively living in the past, to the point that they talk about it "constantly", and they want it to be the last thing I think about before I go to sleep each night.

It's a good thing the kids have Catherine and I hope she's the dominant influence in their lives.
For goodness sakes, both William and Catherine are on the same page in how they are raising their two children! As much as we might relate to familial concerns, none of us can ever know what it's like to grow up in a royal fishbowl. I'm sure Catherine and William both want their children to know as much as possible about a grandmother who died too soon to get to know them, but whom they will hear more and more about as they grow older in any case simply because Diana is a historic figure, not just a grandmother.

Wrap heads around it. William wants his kids to be as normal as possible before the royal reality sets in so that they can be prepared for what's in store. And he also wants them to know what a wonderful human being and mother Diana was to him and Harry. Of course it means a lot more to William at this stage. But in the end, these bedtime stories will have resonance for George and Charlotte too. They will be able to put what they hear about their long dead grandmother Diana into a proper context when other more world-based tales are told to them by people outside their family.

That's quite different from our respective non-royal realities, no?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
For goodness sakes, both William and Catherine are on the same page in how they are raising their two children! As much as we might relate to familial concerns, none of us can ever know what it's like to grow up in a royal fishbowl. I'm sure Catherine and William both want their children to know as much as possible about a grandmother who died too soon to get to know them, but whom they will hear more and more about as they grow older in any case simply because Diana is a historic figure, not just a grandmother.

Wrap heads around it. William wants his kids to be as normal as possible before the royal reality sets in so that they can be prepared for what's in store. And he also wants them to know what a wonderful human being and mother Diana was to him and Harry. Of course it means a lot more to William at this stage. But in the end, these bedtime stories will have resonance for George and Charlotte too. They will be able to put what they hear about their long dead grandmother Diana into a proper context when other more world-based tales are told to them by people outside their family.

That's quite different from our respective non-royal realities, no?
I stick to my assessment of the situation based on William's own words. Royal or non-royal, William doesn't paint a healthy picture, imo. Like I said I hope William is just exaggerating in an attempt to get his point across to the public. Maybe that's the case.

It's nice that you've embraced William's words and it paints a fanciful picture for you. But we all have our different perspectives, no?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:58 PM
Nobility

^^ Eh, and there's nothing at all 'fanciful' about the hard realities I was addressing. You on the other hand seem to be imagining some kind of 'negative' picture of William as a parent, which doesn't wash no matter how much soapsuds you lather up.

Quote:
That would be a shame. Camilla strikes me as an awesome granny, a better grandparent than Charles if I'm to be blunt.

There seems to be no problem with Tim being a "grandpa" to Savannah, Isla and Mia. Even though Tim was the "other man" in Mark and Anne's dysfunctional marriage. Letting Tim be a grandpa isn't betraying Mark.
There's no basis really for this comparison. Both Mark and Tim are still alive. And all complicated family relationships differ and therefore should not be equated.

Let's face it, we do not know the intimate day-to-day details and relationships that go on between any of the royals. Yet, suffice to say that when it comes to William's children, all evidence suggests that the predominant grandmothers he wants his children to know, honor and respect are his mother and Catherine's mother. That is in no way showing disrespect to Camilla. In any case, obviously every family is different in terms of how inter-familial relationships are naturally formed, developed, and/or managed.

Most likely Camilla is known to George and Charlotte as one of the older adults who dotes on them and happens to be married to their Grandpa Charles, but is not one of their grandmothers. A recent article mentions how much Camilla enjoys spending time with her own biological grandchildren.

BTW, I saw another recent article reporting that Prince William as a toddler called his grandmother Queen Elizabeth, 'Gary.' Prince George calls his great-grandmother QE, 'Gan-Gan.'
How Queen Elizabeth II's grandchildren address her in private - Business Insider

Who knows re this report, but it sounds reasonable:

This is also an interesting and reasonable report, though it only directly addresses Charles' connection with George and Charlotte, not specifically Camilla's role although it's clear she would play a secondary grandmotherly role when William's children visit Grandpa Charles:
Inside Prince Charles's Relationship with Prince George and Princess Charlotte

This tidbit about Diana's portrait with young William & Harry hanging in William's KP apartment:
Princess Diana photo in Kate and William's living room | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Old 07-23-2017, 10:23 PM
Royal Highness

There are plenty of people...

...in the 'popular' press, and elsewhere, such as this board and other, similar ones, who can discuss Diana's flaws at length, and they are free so to do. These two men are also free to discuss their mother's virtues at length.

It's helpful to them, and it shouldn't harm anyone else.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-23-2017, 10:42 PM
Nobility

Royal watchers are likely more obsessed over the whole topic than anyone who is directly involved.

Prince George and Princess Charlotte are too young right now to make or understand any complicated and dramatic distinctions. But still, since Diana is not alive, it is surely helpful for William as a loving father to let his children know about their grandmother (his and Harry's mother) who died before they were born. It also gives him and Catherine a chance to introduce the concept of death which young children come to experience in one way or another quite often at young ages via the death of a pet or a close older relative. And sometimes a younger relative or friend.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:52 PM
Heir Apparent

20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

Camilla can have a relationship with George and Charlotte but she isn't their grandmother. Carole and Diana are. Diana is no longer here. However, William doesn't have to hide her pictures and never speak of her to his children. She is his mother and always will be. Talking about his mother doesn't diminish his father.

George and Charlotte need to know their family history all sides of it. William can tell of his mother while Kate can tell George stories of her Grandfather Peter who fought in RAF in WWII when the Spitfires and Hurricanes and Lancaster Bomber do a flyover of BP. Charlotte can learn of her mother's granny who helped break the code at Bletchley Park. In time, William will show George a picture of 4 monarchs and tell him about his late Gan Gan while Kate tells Charlotte about the dirty joke Papa Philip told Pippa on the balcony when Mummy married Daddy.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I fear Charles will feel very bruised by this film: SARAH VINE on how some may see William and Harry's documentary as a rejection of their father

Sarah Vine: Charles will by hurt by his sons' documentary | Daily Mail Online

Princes Harry and William reveal all in new Diana show | Daily Mail Online
Harry and Wills hadn't seen Diana for a MONTH before her death: She died a day before they were due to be reunited after trips and divorce kept them apart, reveal princes as they share new photos
Old 07-24-2017, 02:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Royal watchers are likely more obsessed over the whole topic than anyone who is directly involved.

Prince George and Princess Charlotte are too young right now to make or understand any complicated and dramatic distinctions. But still, since Diana is not alive, it is .
well all this is exactly why I think it would have been better if WIll and Harry had not talked so deeply about private matters to do with their mother. look at all the controversy it has stirred up and unpleasant argument. Hopefully the kids wont know of this stuff, so it wont affect them to know that people are arguing, and crtiicising the way they're being brought up etc but IMO they could have done a programme to honour Diana, mentioned a little of their personal feelings witout their going on so much...
Old 07-24-2017, 02:42 AM
Serene Highness

Clip where William talks about "Granny Diana" -

Comments
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...919&__tn__=C-R
Old 07-24-2017, 03:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Of course they have rejected their father this year - over and over again they have said they were given no help when their mother died - a clear accusation that Charles wasn't there for them and failed them as a father.

They have made it clear, through their words, that they don't have any feelings for their living parent - that is their loss.

There have been reports for four years now that Charles is locked out of seeing his grandchildren and again that will be the loss of George and Charlotte. There are photos of Carole playing with them but never Charles who is only ever seen with them at Trooping the Colour and their Christenings. Even when they are away the children are with Carole and never with Charles.

Someone will argue that Charles sees them at CH at the weekends except that falls down when you know that Charles goes to Highgrove for the weekends and the Cambridges are either at Anmer or Bucklebury and not in London.