The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-28-2017, 03:20 PM
Majesty

PRINCESS DIANA’S RESTING PLACE TO BE ENHANCED BY HER BROTHER EARL SPENCER, WITH COMPLETION IN TIME FOR 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF HER DEATH - Althorp Estate

The Oval Lake where Diana, Princess of Wales, was laid to rest on September 6, 1997, is undergoing an extensive redesign to honour her memory. It will be completed in time for the 20th anniversary of her death, in August 2017.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Oh, thank heaven for that!!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 06-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the service of re-dedication is a wonderful idea, and I'm glad the Archbishop of Canterbury is going to preside. Lovely that George and Charlotte will see where their grandmother lies, and be at Althorp with their parents and Uncle Harry and Diana's siblings and family. They've probably been told several stories about their wonderful grandmother already, and it's awful that they'll never meet her in the flesh.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Hopefully the drone cameras can be kept far away too.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Majesty

You'll notice it's not the local parish priest performing the service but the Archbishop of Canterbury. This tells us it was approved at the highest level.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:17 PM
Royal Highness

I love that they are doing this as I think everyone should be free to remember love ones however they want and I like they are involving the children (though personally I wouldn't take them to a grave - that said I think Diana's grave is more of a temple and a wild meadow rather than what we may think of).
Personally I feel uncomfortable they announced it ahead of time, they could IMO have announced it either sat morning or after the event but maybe there was a more pressing reason to announce it we aren't aware of.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
You'll notice it's not the local parish priest performing the service but the Archbishop of Canterbury. This tells us it was approved at the highest level.
I agree. Very nice to know the AC will be conduct the service. I'm sure both families appreciates The Queen's approval

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-28-2017, 06:08 PM
Nobility

Not announcing before hand would have been a horrible move on their part. The stories the day or two before would have been nothing but things like "Wills and Harry Heartless: Totally Ignoring Mum's Birthday On 20th Anniversary Of Death!"
Old 06-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Plus the press would see the announcement of the estate being closed on July 1. It's not hard to put 2&2 together. They call KP and if they deny anything then the press run a what is KP trying to hide story. Freedom of the press ....
Old 06-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Aristocracy

I'm glad they announced the service in memory of Diana. I guess it's my theme around here these days, if someone wants to speak about something it is their right. And in this case 2 men want to have a private service for their mother, all they did was announce what they plan to do on a special day. If the press are professional, they should respect that it is a private time for the family.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:06 PM

I am fascinated by Diana because she is my 18th cousin twice removed. Whatever flaws she had as a human being, people loved her BECAUSE she was so human. Her death was a great tragedy.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:11 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnpisturino View Post
I am fascinated by Diana because she is my 18th cousin twice removed. Whatever flaws she had as a human being, people loved her BECAUSE she was so human. Her death was a great tragedy.
You've stated it all quite beautifully. Welcome to TRF and I think you'll find quite a bit of different discussions on the life and times of Diana in the many threads about her and of course, everything to do with the 20th anniversary of her death right here in this thread.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
You've stated it all quite beautifully. Welcome to TRF and I think you'll find quite a bit of different discussions on the life and times of Diana in the many threads about her and of course, everything to do with the 20th anniversary of her death right here in this thread.
Thank you so very much.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Welcome. Diana was indeed a fascinating woman, Dawn Pisturino, warm, lovely and all too human. Are you related to her through her mother's family?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Goodness what's it matter announced before or after none of our business it's a family occasion we all should respect whatever her sons want.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
All perfectly choreographed. Charles will be in Canada so 'unavailable to attend the rededication.
Quote:
Goodness what's it matter announced before or after none of our business it's a family occasion we all should respect whatever her sons want.
Well since you think the governments of both the UK and Canada scheduled Charles Royal visit around the anniversary of Diana's death, obviously the minutia of it does matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
That's fine, the Spencer's solved the potential problem you described. And it makes KP butting in even more unnecessary then.

I really hope BP and CH never take media advice from KP. Let the latter flounder in it's own incompetence.
Charles tried to join all three together for a smoother, more coherent approach, however, William and Harry wanted to do it their way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
Hopefully the drone cameras can be kept far away too.
Oh well, it's a private estate, and I don't think there is any particular "season" for drones.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Well since you think the governments of both the UK and Canada scheduled Charles Royal visit around the anniversary of Diana's death, obviously the minutia of it does matter

Not to mention the fact that the Canadian government obviously scheduled the 150th Anniversary of Confederation to coincide with Diana's birthday.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeT View Post
I'm glad they announced the service in memory of Diana. I guess it's my theme around here these days, if someone wants to speak about something it is their right. And in this case 2 men want to have a private service for their mother, all they did was announce what they plan to do on a special day. If the press are professional, they should respect that it is a private time for the family.
Except the press aren't professional, W&H know that better than anyone. Previously the press suspected the two men would commemorate the day with the Spencers in some fashion, now with the press release the press knows Catherine and the kids are involved and their interest has skyrocketed. The press will also now be desperate for Meghan to attend as this is now seen as an "official" family gathering thanks to the KP letterhead, her attendance would be used to fuel their imminent engagement articles.

W&H know they get some interest from the media, they also know that Catherine, George, Charlotte and Meghan get way more interest than the two them. This release has now guaranteed that the press will stake out the roads outside Althrop so they can get car pics of the arrivals. Members of the public will also probably hang around the roads hoping to catch a glimpse of the royals now that they know for certain five royals will be there.

Like I said, all this press release did was incite a media circus. Unless W&H are complete morons, they realized this would be the outcome. So this media circus was done intentionally to bring a spotlight, to a feigned private event.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
All perfectly choreographed. Charles will be in Canada so 'unavailable to attend the rededication.
Shame on Canada. We should have prophecized the birth of Diana, and planned our national holiday for a better day

It's our 150th birthday. That calls for a senior royal, and the queen can't. This trip of Charles was planned long before this re dedication would have been.

Anyways this is a private event for family and he isn't.

As for Charlotte and George I don't get all the 'oh they will see so much about grandma...." And all that. I am sorry but at their age they aren't going to get much from it. Especially Charlotte. It will be talk and abstract person right now. A trip to Althorpe and time with the Spencer's can happen any time. Sure their uncle would be happy to have a visit. Take the kids in a few years when old enough to understand. Show them her memorial. Tell them stories. Let them play with Spencer cousins. Just because it is Diana's 20th anniversary, doesn't mean this is the year the kids need to go.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think that Charles (or Camilla) would want to go to the re-dedication anyway. He's an ex husband of the dead woman, and the event is taking place at Althorp, her ancestral home. Perhaps if Charles had a extremely warm and friendly relationship with Diana's siblings and the divorce had been very amicable, then there might have been a case for Charles's attendance. But he hasn't and it wasn't. So even if he had been in England I couldn't see him turning up.