20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
2hhknki.png

Arms of Diana, Princess of Wales

20th Anniversary of the Death of Diana, Princess of Wales

August 31, 1997
Paris, France

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
I find it difficult to understand how the cult of Diana continues. There are so many people who contributed more to British society, charitable works etc than she did.

I suppose it's down to the modern cult of personality and celebrity.

I consider someone such as George VI who never wanted fame or to be king and who carried out his work with quiet dignity through some of the darkest days in my country's history.

Hardly anyone remembers him at all. I really admire him.

I find it difficult to understand how the cult of Diana continues. There are so many people who contributed more to British society, charitable works etc than she did.

I consider someone such as George VI who never wanted fame or to be king and who carried out his work with quiet dignity through some of the darkest days in my country's history.

I don't know other people. Just speak for myself, I find her such a myth, the more I know, the more I realize I still don't know.

And some of her fans just simply confess that, they felt peace whenever they saw her photo. Of course, such feeling are up to individual. Every people have their only feeling towards her. Such feeling should not be subject to other people's judgement. We are allowed to have our own feeling.

For example, I don't know much about George VI, but I completely respect your admiration of him.

You don't have to understand just respect those of us who do

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I don't understand her cult following, either. She wasn't in the spotlight that long when you consider the decades of work other royals have done. But I do think her star is fading. I doubt there will be any big memorial by the time it reaches the 50th anniversary.

Yes, George VI was special. I would also add QEQM, too. But they would probably prefer to be remembered quietly, instead of all the hoopla and dramatics that seem to follow Diana's legacy.

IMO the brothers have chosen an appropriate and meaningful way to remember her this year. The concert in 2007 had its place and time, but twenty years on this seems right.:flowers:

I greatly admire George VI. :flowers: I wouldn't say that I'm a member of the Diana "cult". For me, it's more nostalgia than anything. She was a pretty young woman who arrived on the scene when things were quite grim. There was rioting in the UK and the Cold War was making people very anxious. People needed an escape from their anxieties. Diana had a charming way with children and was kind and friendly to the elderly and sick. For people about my age, this is what we remember. The Diana of the summer of 1997 seems very removed from the Diana photographed on the streets of London in the fall of 1980.

It is amazing the cult of Diana can continue to nowaday. Some people just have unspeakable connection with her. But not everything can be explained by rationality. Religion is one good example of that. But I actually believe everything happens for some reason.

There's no "Diana Cult." Diana was a very popular member of the royal family and she pretty much became the world princess who was taken from us in such a tragic way. William and Harry and members of both families know how much Diana meant to people.

People still remember her after all these years and it's just fitting to take some time to commemorate her life and legacy.

:previous: I remember that there was a definite cultic atmosphere right after her death in that there were reports of weird things going on. People seeing things. It's not unusual to hear stories like that when someone dies. A grief-stricken spouse will hear the loved one's voice or feel their presence sometimes. Personally, I think it's a psychological thing. Then there's the way that Diana was elevated to secular sainthood with all the books and tribute sections in papers and documentaries. After a few years, there was more of a trend of people looking objectively at Diana's life; but there were still those who strongly saw her as the innocent victim of a cruel husband and refused to see that she contributed in any way to the breakdown of her marriage. I think that there were definite cultic tendencies back then but not so much now.

:previous: I remember that there was a definite cultic atmosphere right after her death in that there were reports of weird things going on. People seeing things. It's not unusual to hear stories like that when someone dies. A grief-stricken spouse will hear the loved one's voice or feel their presence sometimes. Personally, I think it's a psychological thing. Then there's the way that Diana was elevated to secular sainthood with all the books and tribute sections in papers and documentaries. After a few years, there was more of a trend of people looking objectively at Diana's life; but there were still those who strongly saw her as the innocent victim of a cruel husband and refused to see that she contributed in any way to the breakdown of her marriage. I think that there were definite cultic tendencies back then but not so much now.

I don't think it had anything to do with a cult atmosphere, but her passing was a big event and the world did mourn her. The media did make money off of her passing though.

I think everyone knew Diana's story and knew all about her marital problems, but with her passing taking place right after her divorce the previous year, it added to making the story one sided. I think it caused some people to turn on her legacy and memory. That was the medias doing, not the people though.

The Anniversaries are just pretty much to keep her memory and legacy alive.
Her charities are still thriving with people contributing through her memory and I like that William and Harry refuse to allow her memory to die, although some people just want others to move on and leave her in past. It would be wrong to do so. A lot of what they do is to make her proud.

I don't think it had anything to do with a cult atmosphere, but her passing was a big event and the world did mourn her. The media did make money off of her passing though.

I think everyone knew Diana's story and knew all about her marital problems, but with her passing taking place right after her divorce the previous year, it added to making the story one sided. I think it caused some people to turn on her legacy and memory. That was the medias doing, not the people though.

The Anniversaries are just pretty much to keep her memory and legacy alive.
Her charities are still thriving with people contributing through her memory and I like that William and Harry refuse to allow her memory to die, although some people just want others to move on and leave her in past. It would be wrong to do so. A lot of what they do is to make her proud.
Diana was lovely, Diana was pretty but her charitable legacy is not of great moment. It was good but if she had been pretty, had not been seen as Shy Di and an innocent taken too soon, we would not be having this conversation!

The death of Diana was treated in a cult-like way, those who disagreed were harassed to silence. The very same reporters and newspapers that had been dragging her through the mud the day before her death, asking who was paying for her high profile celebrity, and totally inappropriate lifestyle, overnight turned her into a saint without blemish. It was creepy and worse was to come with the vile rants rained down on the BRF and the Queen in particular. To me, that too was part of Diana's legacy, the ability to divide, to cause dissension, to cause pain.

So yes, I would like to leave her in the past, a loving mother,
taken to soon. A woman who believed her own press and forgot that she was an ordinary mortal, got into a car with a drunk driver and didn't do up her seatbelt. No more, no less. No great conspiracies, just a sad truth played out on roads around the world.

Perhaps if there is a legacy it is that. Even the great and the good need to use their seatbelts and even the great and the good can be a victim of a drunk driver.

:previous: I suppose my point is that there were people so distraught that they thought that they were seeing things. Hence the "cultic" side of the mourning of a few.

I don't dispute that Diana was well-loved and that people were genuinely saddened by her death. I certainly was. She was my Princess; and, as a Canadian, I once thought she'd be my future Queen Consort.

I was saddened not only by Diana's death, but by the failure of the Wales's marriage and the impact that it would have on their children.

:previous: I suppose my point is that there were people so distraught that they thought that they were seeing things. Hence the "cultic" side of the mourning of a few.

I don't dispute that Diana was well-loved and that people were genuinely saddened by her death. I certainly was. She was my Princess; and, as a Canadian, I once thought she'd be my future Queen Consort.

I was saddened not only by Diana's death, but by the failure of the Wales's marriage and the impact that it would have on their children.

Yes, it was indeed a sad time. For the marriage, my faith teaches me that's there's a reason and season for everything. Fate is mapped out before us all.

Now, reflection should be pretty much a celebration of her life and charitable legacy.

The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry has Commissioned a Statue of Diana, Princess of Wales at Kensington Palace: Announcement-
https://mobile.twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/825448623727050752

The Queen's Support-
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPeterHunt/status/825449176712544256

The Committee Overseeing the Statue-
Lady Sarah McCorquodale and Julie Samuel:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPeterHunt/status/825449245561987072

Chairman of the Committee-Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCPeterHunt/status/825449315774656516

Last edited:
Love it :heart:
I just thought about this and how nice it would be to have a beautiful made statue. I hope they don't do something weird avantgarde.

This is a wonderful way for both William and Harry to remember and pay homage to their mother. Someone suggested here quite a long time ago that a fitting statue would be one with Diana with children around her and that's the first thing that flashed through my mind.

As it is to be privately funded and at Kensington Palace, I am wondering if the statue will be viewable for the public who tour KP or will the princes have it installed in a place such as the private walled garden that they used so often as kids living there with their mum.

The statement says 'in the public gardens at KP', so I guess everyone can see it. :)

Attachments

• tumblr_okid92AyBJ1qk8ze6o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_okid92AyBJ1qk8ze6o1_1280.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 258
An utter and complete waste of money. Money that could do so much more good if it were used for just about anything else.

Diana's legacy is so over-stated as to be laughable. I could name about 100 people more deserving of a statue than Diana. I despair, I really do.

What would be the point?

Many people in Britain and around the world will go to bed hungry tonight but people actually think spending thousands and thousands of £ on a statue of a woman who did some charity work (like millions of people all over the globe) makes sense.

Our priorities are all wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would be the point?

Many people in Britain and around the world will go to bed hungry tonight but people actually think spending thousands and thousands of £ on a statue of a woman who did some charity work (like millions of people all over the globe) makes sense.

Our priorities are all wrong.

It's about her two sons preserving her legacy, PetticoatLane. The statue is long overdue, but it's the right thing. I would also like to see a foundation set up in her name. Something like the Princess Grace Foundation.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a very public campaign going on for The Diana Award with a special Legacy Award planned for 2017 to honor the 20th anniversary of their mother's death. Both boys have actively worked to keep their mother's legacy alive through their own personal charity endeavors.

Princes William and Harry support The Diana Award in honour of her 20th death anniversary | Daily Mail Online

The statue is being commissioned by William and Harry and private funding. They have the right to spend their money on whatever pleases them and if its a statue to honor their late mother, that is their choice. I kind of think a statue similar to this picture I found would not only be appropriate but also signify the closeness, the love and the special bond between a mother and her two sons.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/12/article-1161628-03DDAF56000005DC-305_468x642.jpg

I like the idea of a statue and it also gives George and Charlotte a visual of their grandmother.

Its wonderful this is finally happening lovely for her sons and grandchildren
Anyone who has a problem with this needs to take a good long look at what their problem really is.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Perhaps the problem some have stated against the statue was the misconception that this statue would somehow be commissioned and sculpted out of funds that could be alloted elsewhere rather than the private funds of Diana's sons and whomever else "private funding" involves.

The main focus though is that there's a public campaign for The Diana Award which, I believe, is a good cause and a good way to mark the 20th anniversary of Diana, Princess of Wales' passing.

Back
Top Bottom