The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jean
She did go to therapy for awhile. I believe she gave up on it because she said no one could understand her situation. And of course we know in her last years she tried all sorts of things: acupuncture, psychic,etc.

From what I have read she was plagued by severely deep-rooted mental problems though and, sure, non-traditional alternatives can be part of a plan for a patient with her state of mind, but she probably needed intensive medical attention around the clock along with antipsychotic medication ... which it seems she did not get for whatever reason.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreDoc
From what I have read she was plagued by severely deep-rooted mental problems though and, sure, non-traditional alternatives can be part of a plan for a patient with her state of mind, but she probably needed intensive medical attention around the clock along with antipsychotic medication ... which it seems she did not get for whatever reason.
i'm no doctor but i don't think diana was psychotic. she was definitely depressed. whether she needed therapy or medication to control it, or both, we'll never know.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Indeed. A person who was in need of, but jot getting, round-the-clock mental health care wouldn't have been able to function as well as Diana did. I think armchair diagnoses of psychosis are very dubious. I'm sure, when more information is available in the future, that we may get some clarification about what her problems actually were; until then, there's enough disagreement among authors writing about her that it seems premature to be making diagnoses.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Indeed. A person who was in need of, but jot getting, round-the-clock mental health care wouldn't have been able to function as well as Diana did. I think armchair diagnoses of psychosis are very dubious. I'm sure, when more information is available in the future, that we may get some clarification about what her problems actually were; until then, there's enough disagreement among authors writing about her that it seems premature to be making diagnoses.
:) Diana's problem, dear Elspeth, was the mistress!! The woman who would not go away to allow the marriage to continue in a happy sense. She 9 the mistress) clung for dear life, to the wimpy prince...
Old 06-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katemac63
:) Diana's problem, dear Elspeth, was the mistress!! The woman who would not go away to allow the marriage to continue in a happy sense. She 9 the mistress) clung for dear life, to the wimpy prince...
Diana's problems were more than the mistress but its a stretch of the imagination to call her psychotic.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Aristocracy

Diana was such an extremist though ... why in the world would a woman flip out when a rich man that is not even attractive loses interest? If she had just been properly medicated and played by the rules she could have been Queen and perhaps still alive today living the life of a goddess.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreDoc
Diana was such an extremist though ... why in the world would a woman flip out when a rich man that is not even attractive loses interest? If she had just been properly medicated and played by the rules she could have been Queen and perhaps still alive today living the life of a goddess.
Properly medicated? -- No I do agree the marriage was a grave mistake. Had Diana NOT become Mrs. charles Windsor, she would have been alive today!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katemac63
...I do agree the marriage was a grave mistake. Had Diana NOT become Mrs. Charles Windsor, she would have been alive today!
'Yes' on the first point, 'probably' on the second. But then if she hadn't been HRH The Princess of Wales, chances are we would never have known of her. Without the mystique of Royalty she would more than likely have remained a relatively unknown aristocrat. Fate and circumstance work in mysterious ways; none of us could have forseen a sudden, untimely and shocking death in a Paris car tunnel while pursued by paparazzi. Not for the first time, fame ultimately carried a terrible price.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Aristocracy

In my opinion this subject always leaves me questioning which source is more accurate? I do believe Mrton's statement to be true because Diana did have her interview taped when she talked about her life to James Colhurst for Morton to hear. But I also that the incident of her trying to kill herself by throwing herself down the stairs may have been blown out of proportion. Diana did say and many others have said that iana Her True Strooy was like a cry for help she needed someone to listen and hear her side of the story. She knew she wouldn't lose the baby and I think that when she did throw herself down the stairs Diana was very depressed adn she was confused scared and trying to fit into the royal family. I think Diana became overwhelmed by everything becoming a mother, an international celebrity and a royal pincess all in one year!!!!! Anybody in that position woud have cracked a little. I have a lot of respect for Diana for managing to stay strong when her own family that she married into was, as she felt distant and cold towards her.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelydiana
In my opinion this subject always leaves me questioning which source is more accurate? .
That's why I avoid reading things about Diana in particular because you just don't know if the writer or witness is telling the truth, or just saying anything to make a dollar. Especially with Diana and Charles because there are two camps- her friends and his friends and the motives of authors and witnesses are not trustworthy for both camps in my opinion.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
her friends and his friends and the motives of authors and witnesses are not trustworthy for both camps in my opinion.
I agree Australian with that. It is hard to know who to believe.
I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.- Princess Diana
Old 04-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Diana wasn't mad. She was just too young to marry Charles (look at William and Kate, they are 25 and after 4 years they broke up ...). I think she was waiting for so much affection (maybe because her mother didn't really gave it to her ...). Charles, who was toughly educated, simply didn't knew how to comfort her and show the affection she wanted. In a relationship, both are "responsible" for the sadness they cause to each other. Maybe it was an act of despair or a simple accident, we will never know. In any case, Charles couldn't hate Diana, his wife, at a point to stay indifferent to her sadness. IMO he really tried to make her happy and Diana tried to BE happy but what they endured in their childhood (for Diana a mother a little alcoholic and for Charles a very strict education) may have touched them more deeply than they thought.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 04-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth
Diana wasn't mad. She was just too young to marry Charles (look at William and Kate, they are 25 and after 4 years they broke up ...). I think she was waiting for so much affection (maybe because her mother didn't really gave it to her ...). Charles, who was toughly educated, simply didn't knew how to comfort her and show the affection she wanted. In a relationship, both are "responsible" for the sadness they cause to each other. Maybe it was an act of despair or a simple accident, we will never know. In any case, Charles couldn't hate Diana, his wife, at a point to stay indifferent to her sadness. IMO he really tried to make her happy and Diana tried to BE happy but what they endured in their childhood (for Diana a mother a little alcoholic and for Charles a very strict education) may have touched them more deeply than they thought.
Very well put, TheTruth!
I completely agree with you on basically all points. Marriage is a game of two and it takes the will of both sides to manage a successful one.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Royal Highness

i think diana was a good number of things when she threw herself down the stairs, and after as well.

She was depressed, who knows what about, she had so many bad things going on at that time. the hormones from her pregnancy may have contributed as well. She probably already had the deep-rooted phsychological problems, and was maybe even a little mentally ill. she needed love, care, and help, and she just wasn't getting it from charles or anybody else.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe "the fall" was an accidental trip down two or three stairs. She would have had to have been psychotic to try to commit suicide in such a way. She would never have risked damaging or loosing her child, injuring herself severely or even killing herself.

At that time Diana was a force to be reckoned with, and she knew it. Even she herself was ambiguous as to the "facts" as her notes to Andrew Morton versus her later interviews showed.

IMO it was nothing more than an unplanned temper tantrum that could have been a lot worse than it was. It did, however, in later retelling, become a club with which to beat Charles.

Such are the basis for one of the many myths and fables of this lady's life.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
I believe "the fall" was an accidental trip down two or three stairs. She would have had to have been psychotic to try to commit suicide in such a way. She would never have risked damaging or loosing her child, injuring herself severely or even killing herself.

At that time Diana was a force to be reckoned with, and she knew it. Even she herself was ambiguous as to the "facts" as her notes to Andrew Morton versus her later interviews showed.
Marg,
Why was she a force to be reckoned with? Because she was pregnant with the heir?
Tenngirl
Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenngirl
Marg,
Why was she a force to be reckoned with? Because she was pregnant with the heir?
Tenngirl
By the time Diana was pregnant for the first time she was already a 'superstar'. She had an adoring public that watched every move she made, every dress she wore, every hat, every hair style. Every little thing she did was plastered over the pages of the adoring Tabloids and Women's magazines. She was a walking fashion icon and being pregnant just meant 'pregnancy' fashion = more money etc.

To be honest, I don't think she really even understood the power she had, at that time.

Having met her briefly I was amazed at the sheer charisma she exuded. To this day I have never seen a photograph of her that came close to capturing the breathtaking beauty of her smile and it's irresistable magnetism. Men, irrespective of age or status just seemed to be reduced to gaping adoring puppydogs. Women either wanted to adopt her or emulate her.

All in all, pretty potent stuff. The stuff that dreams are made of, and everyone wanted to be part of that dream.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:35 AM
Courtier

According to the new Tina Brown book, Diana accidentally stumbled and the whole "suicide fall" was a story for Morton's book; one that was changed from HM the Queen finding her to the Queen Mother to avoid problems.

NOT my opinion, just what Tina Brown is now claiming.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Here's one part of the documentary "the Secret Tapes" where Diana talk about that fall :

In that declaration, she says that she actually threw herself down the stairs ...

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...

Tags
diana princess of wales, emotional problems, pregnancy, princess diana, therapy