Stefano Casiraghi, Part II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
stefano gave a lot of happiness to his family but also a lot of sadness

Bona fides

I saw a program on the lovely and elegant Princess Caroline on the Biography Channel, recently.

I was quite shocked to hear it claimed that her deceased husband, Casiraghi, was, allegedly, a member of a mafia family and that that's where his family garnered their wealth.

Can anyone confirm that this is true, or is it simply envious gossip?

It was rumor but nobody can prove it. But who going to talk.A & E talk about the whole family.

I saw a program on the lovely and elegant Princess Caroline on the Biography Channel, recently.

I was quite shocked to hear it claimed that her deceased husband, Casiraghi, was, allegedly, a member of a mafia family and that that's where his family garnered their wealth.

Can anyone confirm that this is true, or is it simply envious gossip?

I guess it's mostly ignorance, as the foreigners think of Italy as a whole, whilst the Italian peninsula is made up of many populations that have only religion and a passport in common, but belong to many different cultures and traditions.

The Casiraghi family is from upper Lombardy, that's a region neighbouring Switzerland, so their culture is more similar to that of the Swiss than to that of Sicily or other mafia dominated Southern Italian regions.

Don't forget that there's a political movement that claims for secession from Southern Italy, and one of its stronghold is situated in Fino Mornasco, the town the Casiraghis are originally from.

^Organized crime can occur anywhere - and thus it is not confined to one area only. Furthermore, I find it disrespectful to the people of southern Italy who have nothing to do with the mafia. Put blame to the criminals and not to regions as a whole.

You're right, tatula. There's even a crime family in New Orleans by the name of De Monaco. NO RELATION AT ALL!

Dave

^Organized crime can occur anywhere - and thus it is not confined to one area only. Furthermore, I find it disrespectful to the people of southern Italy who have nothing to do with the mafia. Put blame to the criminals and not to regions as a whole.

I lived in Southern Italy for a while, and came across of lots of honest and hardworking people, and the Italian North's more affluent and modern regions owe their wealth to the Southern Italian that come up North to work. But, unfortunately the mafia took advantage of this situation to infiltrate, but they would never enroll Northern Italians in their ranks, as they have a totally different mindset. They're two different societies.

Come take a trip here, from the top to the bottom of the Boot and see yourself!

Not one person needs to convince me of the beauty and character of Italy and Italians, everywhere. To my mind, Italian food, fashion, art and national character is second to none, and superior to many. In my private life, two of my godchildren are Italian and are always a joy to me.

I was merely interested to hear the general view of Caroline's deceased husband, whom I know she really loved. In our legal system, it's not possible to slander or defame a dead person; thus, I wondered what the impetus to attribute Casiraghi's position and wealth to criminal activity. I thought, perhaps, that it might have been yet another sensationalists journalistic effort to create a story which I would be happy to have confirmed, or rather, denied.

Since the landing of the Allied in Sicily, the mafia ceased to be a local phenomenon, and startred to travel up North, step by step, then at a slightly higher speed around the '60, in tow of the many immigrants that went to work in the Milan and mostly in the Turin area. Obviously the mafia was backed up by the Americans, who saw it as a defence against communism. Don't forget that Italy had the stronger communist party in the Western world, which was mostly based in North and Central Italy.
Besides the two "Italys" have always followed different historical, and consequently cultural paths. By this I don't mean to say that all the people living in the Italian South are criminals, on the contrary they are the very first victims of the mafia, as the mafia has killed many more Southern Italians than Northeners ones. Besides the journalists and prosecutors that were shot while fighting those criminals were all originally from the South.
I was just stating that labelling a person/family because of their nationality is mere ignorance.

The Casiraghis spring out from a family of humble origins, whose fortune was originated by hard work, and of course luck. The rumors about Stefano might be originated by the factt that he first met Caroline on the yacht of their mutual friends, the daughters of a Sicilian businessman, who has been hinted to be involved with the mafia, but we do not know if he even was a business partner of his.

Besides why always talk about the Casiraghi and their supposed affiliation to the mafia, when Ernst's family was really involved with the Nazis and owe part their fortune to the confiscation of the Jews' properties? That's history, and that's what the German papers and mags wrote...

Last edited:
I've never heard or read any specific indictment of Stefano Casiraghi or his activities. All I have ever read and heard about this allegation of mafia connections are generalizations. No one even says, "Oh he was seen here with so-and-so of known mafia activities," or "he was known acquaintance of such-and-such." All they say is that his grave was violated in a manner supposedly typical of mafia style, and furthermore they allege that this incident indicates possible mafia connections. And of course the Italian stereotypes are drudged up.

Just to throw in my two cents' worth....

The biographer Anne Edwards alleged in her Grimaldis' book that Stefano acquired massive amounts of debt because he liked the grand life and, although he made lots of money, he enjoyed living a bit beyond his actual means, so he borrowed perhaps as much as he earned. This, alleged Edwards, was the reason for Caroline having so much debt after his death. Apparently, she had the value of her jewels assessed and the banks were able to use her jewels as collatoral so that she could make repayment arrangements. Edwards also alleged that Stefano loved Caroline dearly, but apparently had one affair; actually her words were "Caroline learned that he had a mistress all along." I don't know if Edwards's allegations are true, but all of those allegations are the worst of the more specific allegations I have read/heard about Stefano, and to me, these things are not horrible.... I mean, people fall in love, people fall out of love, people have affairs, people acquire debt.... these aren't crimes. And Stefano was so young, just 30 years old, and I am 30 now and have so much to learn, so I have empathy....

I've never heard or read any specific indictment of Stefano Casiraghi or his activities. All I have ever read and heard about this allegation of mafia connections are generalizations. No one even says, "Oh he was seen here with so-and-so of known mafia activities," or "he was known acquaintance of such-and-such." All they say is that his grave was violated in a manner supposedly typical of mafia style, and furthermore they allege that this incident indicates possible mafia connections. And of course the Italian stereotypes are drudged up.

Just to throw in my two cents' worth....

The biographer Anne Edwards alleged in her Grimaldis' book that Stefano acquired massive amounts of debt because he liked the grand life and, although he made lots of money, he enjoyed living a bit beyond his actual means, so he borrowed perhaps as much as he earned. This, alleged Edwards, was the reason for Caroline having so much debt after his death. Apparently, she had the value of her jewels assessed and the banks were able to use her jewels as collatoral so that she could make repayment arrangements. Edwards also alleged that Stefano loved Caroline dearly, but apparently had one affair; actually her words were "Caroline learned that he had a mistress all along." I don't know if Edwards's allegations are true, but all of those allegations are the worst of the more specific allegations I have read/heard about Stefano, and to me, these things are not horrible.... I mean, people fall in love, people fall out of love, people have affairs, people acquire debt.... these aren't crimes. And Stefano was so young, just 30 years old, and I am 30 now and have so much to learn, so I have empathy....

If he had an affair the Italian press would have surely found it out soon. Remember Charlene's Rome pictures? Though they were totally innocent to me.

As for his grave been violated mafia style, the Monegasque police arrested three French guys, who confessed they did that in order to scare one of their associates. If Stefano were really killed, the mafia wouldn't have let his copilot survive, like it happened.

Read this

Last edited:
I have been hearing those rumors for a very long time, almost 20 years, about Stefano being involved in mafia.
I dont know, I am not sure, but it has been widely said that he did illegal affairs in Monaco using shamelessly his wife's name.
Let's not forget that his casket had ben dug out and put upright the night after his funeral. Some saw it as a typical " mafia act".

I have been hearing those rumors for a very long time, almost 20 years, about Stefano being involved in mafia.
I dont know, I am not sure, but it has been widely said that he did illegal affairs in Monaco using shamelessly his wife's name.
Let's not forget that his casket had ben dug out and put upright the night after his funeral. Some saw it as a typical " mafia act".

But the Monegasque police said it was a joke perpetrated by a bunch of French guys, who confessed their guilt.

It seems a bit weak as an explanation.
I mean why some French guys should dig out Stefano Casiraghi's casket?
And how come some ordinary people have had access to the princess of Monaco's huband casket? It's kind of strange.
I think we'll never know the truth, and even if there's a truth, it's been well hidden.

Well, in the end, according to the international press the cleaner of Caroline's three husbands was/is the most vituperated Junot!

LOL....
that's quite funny, isn't it?
The most hated and vituperated out of the three......seems like he's the cleaner one! :)

Well, I guess Junot is the most discreet and best one at keeping his name out of print. He doesn't draw attn. to himself. Prince Ernst does not draw attn. to himself on purpose; I mean, I doubt he made himself lose his temper in the past, and he never asked to have a problem with alcohol. He just had these issues, but all the same, he is an HRH and a Prince, and that combines with the power of being Caroline's husband, and of course the way in which their affair began was of interest in the gossip columns. Stefano was the young handsome Italian lover who died young in a high profile tragedy, leaving a beautiful family behind: always an irresistable story for the media.
So compared to these very colorful men, Junot being a playboy or something.... it's nothing special. :) Junot is just a "bad boy" but not a "royal bad boy" or a tragic "bad boy" as far as the media is concerned. :D

About Vera's comment, I have to agree because the sovereign of Monaco has a lot of control on the press in Monaco. So I also think this story about the French jokesters is odd. All the same, I do not accuse Stefano of anything because like I said before, the accusations I have read about are only based on generalizations and speculation. There is nothing of substantial evidence against Stefano, so these kinds of allegations, as Polly said before, are truly slanderous.

Well, C. Trio (couldn't you choose a shorter nick?;):)), Stefano was no saint, but had he had an extramarital affair, the Italian pres would have found that woman. P. Rainier couldn't control certain Italian press. It was Novella 2000 photographer, who first caught Junot hugging his then mistress Giannina Facio, during a trip of his to NYC. Later it was GENTE mag photographer who caught Daniel Ducruet having sex with Fili Houteman in a swimming pool. And also OGGI photographer caught the Duchess of York doing the same with her Texan lover. So if Stefano's mistress really existed she would have surfaced sooner or later.

I do not tend to believe what the so-called biographer write, as soon after Grace's death, a writer insinuated she had been shot by the Russian mafia, while she was driving back to Monaco...

Stefano was no saint. He resorted to a stratagem in order not to serve in the army, he slept with Caroline, whilst he was engaged to Pinuccia Macheda, and his business was investigated during the famous "Clean Hands" operation.
Sicilian prosecutor Giovanni Falcone was one of the investigators, so if the Casiraghis were involved with the mafia, we should have known by now.

BTW the next time you meet the Casiraghis' cousins, why don't you ask them about this relative of theirs?. Mafia eh?:D

^ Just because one family member happens to be involved in an organized crime, does not mean the whole family will be. You never know, the Casiraghis could have cut off Calderodi their life so as to not be associated with him (if there is a one).

Tosca, maybe it's wiser never to mention any of the mafia rumors to any Casiraghi, especially in the unlikely event that the rumors are true! :lol:
What would happen to someone found to suspect "the truth"? :ROFLMAO:

Tosca, maybe it's wiser never to mention any of the mafia rumors to any Casiraghi, especially in the unlikely event that the rumors are true! :lol:
What would happen to someone found to suspect "the truth"? :ROFLMAO:

To me those rumors are just ridicolous. Just because an Italian has grown well off by hard work, the foreigners think he/she's involved with the mafia.

Giancarlo Casiraghi was a primary school teacher, whose father was a railroad man. He was skilled enough to start a business of his own, and grow rich.
Is that to happen only in America?

The Benetton family were also poor before starting dealing in wool. Briatore was working in insurance, before he started his own business , and he hasn't even finished high school; and Berlusconi himself wasn't rich when young.

I met an ex school mate of Berlusconi long ago. He told that when he and other school mates invited Silvio to go dancing, he replied he couldn't, because he had to study hard.

I often go to Fino Mornasco, the Casiraghis' hometown. There's plenty of industry specilizing in fabrics and silk. Where the mafia rules, there's no industry apart form that of crime.

Calderoli is right when saying that only 3/4 of the nation are productive, because there people want to be independent in their work; they are opened to take a risk in waht they do; create and distribute wealth. While in the remaining 1/4 people prefer to be state employees; and then complain about their situation; there must always be somebody else to take care of them.
We Northern/Central Italians are sick and tired of being labelled as mafiosi, since that is a culture we do not belong to; and being creamed off our money that's being sent mostly to a mafia dominated area. So what's wrong in claiming for secession? The Scots and the Flemish are claiming for their independence. Why shouldn't we? There's no need to start a war like it happened in ex-Yugoslavia. Many Southerners living up North share the same feelings.
Don't forget that the Kingdom of Sardinia and that of the Two Sicilies used to be two independent countries until 1860, and the K.o.T.S. was Europe's richest country.

Well, the rumors aren't strong anyway. It comes up from time to time on the forums if someone just reads an old biography of the Grimaldis. I doubt even the Italian media gives much coverage, if any, to Stefano Casiraghi beyond a mention of his name as father of the trio, and that is the extent of what people say about him in the US media for sure. He is dead now for 17 years and just remembered as Caroline's husband and the trio's father. It's not like anyone has an instant mafia association with his name. In fact, most people probably don't have any kind of association at all....

Well,then, let's move to more amusing topics! ;-)

I think saying the mafia or organized crime in general only exists in Southern Italy is a complete misrepresentation of reality. Despite being territorially based mainly in the South, due to peculiar historical reasons, organized crime is active in many areas of Italy (and also abroad), and is associated with high-profile entrepreneurs and politicians in all areas of the Country. There are also some Northern edile firms that benefit from their association with organized crime when working to building projects in Southern Italy. It is easy to verify this just looking at the number of politicians and entrepeneurs that have been put on trial or associated with mafia boss (ex-premier Berlusconi included).

This said I don't believe Casiraghi was ever in business with mafia, and not because he was from the North (mafia is certainly present in Monaco where he lived, after all) but because of his personal history and because in Italy we love scandals, yet noone ever found out anything about this supposed connection. Realistically though we can't rule out that in the course of his life he had some contact with international mafia, cause I think when you do business in some exclusive circles, you might need the "approval" of some shady people in order to go your way. This practice in no way equals to being in league with mafia, but more to being their victim (like those shops in southern Italy who have to pay an illegal fee to mafia to do business).

I hope our international friends won't think Italy is a land of crime and illegality. It's just that organized crime tends to spread were conditions of life are more difficult: that's way mafia is so visible in the poorer parts of the country while it's well hidden in the richer ones.

Last edited:
I hope our international friends won't think Italy is a land of crime and illegality. It's just that organized crime tends to spread were conditions of life are more difficult: that's way mafia is so visible in the poorer parts of the country while it's well hidden in the richer ones.

Your entire post was fantastic, Grace, but here you make a particularly important point. This point applies to many countries besides Italy. The mafia always (on an international scale) operates in poor communities, where people are dependent. Often mafia bosses fund hospitals, other charities, even schools in these communities, and thus they have power over these poor communites because the people there believe (in some cases, rightly) that the mafia bosses give them more than their own government. In this way, the mafia organizations can recruit armies of supporters. I think some places have the problem worse than others, but there is no doubt this is a very widespread problem. It's very good that you raised this point, although maybe this is enough said, as it doesn't relate much to Casiraghi.

On an "off similar" tack, I forgot to mention that the New Orleans DeMonaco crime family is Creole -- as native American as it gets!

Dave

^ He did speak in.. I think its E! Channel,Young Royal which was aired last month (I think that's the old version). I was suprised actually since I heard that he's quite a private person. From the way he spoke, I think he was quite decent and such a nice guy..:wub: Seriously he sound so down-to-earth, who never care about marrying a royal princess or fame. But its too short.. however, they also show the video clip of his dead body in the water, :ohmy:seriously I really hope the media should at least consider about his children or relatives' feelings...Last time we've heard that Andrea did ask one of the reporters (was it a reporter, not sure??) to share with him any interviews which involved his late father. I think he will be delightful to see this interview, but also 'shockful' to see the clip...:ermm:

Could anyone upload the interview on E! True hollywood story "young royals"? i would really appreciate it :)

Last edited:
My husband often goes to Fino Mornasco for work, where Stefano grew up and his family still own a house called "Villa delle Cicogne", and I went there a couple of times.

I saw this villa Cicogna mentioned in the online French biography of Stefano. It says there that the villa has 50 rooms and tapestries from the 19th century.
It also says that in September 1982, some photographers got the first photographs of Caroline and Stefano, in the grounds of the Villa Cicogna.
The couple had first met each other back in March, 1982, and Stefano had just ended a five-year relationship with one Pinuccia Macceda. Caroline was also, I think, coming out of an intense relationship with the Rossellini guy, right?
It says in the biography that Stefano was very shy, and maybe more so because Caroline was a princess and everything. And Caroline, being the more outgoing of the two, was very ........ maybe not aggressive, but I suppose I can say determined to get Stefano as a boyfriend. :D

Back
Top Bottom