The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Commoner

what a laugh!!duca della brianza.poor stefano they always made fun of him.but for me he was the best

Old 10-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
17 years have passed now: it's true that the Lord gathers the roses first, and then the thorns. Rest in peace, dear Stefano!

Old 10-01-2007, 12:52 PM

Yes, just this Wednesday will be the precise 17 year mark. It is daunting to think of everything that has occurred in those 17 years, and how different is the "then" and the "now" of the Grimaldis' world. Death really puts things in perspective, doesn't it? It reminds us what is important and to value our life.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:42 AM
Courtier

Today it's been 17 years since Stefano's accident.

Somewhere in this thread it was mentionned that Caroline still puts an obituary in Il Corriere della Sera every year to remember Stefano.
Does somebody read this paper and can check if it's in it today?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:27 AM

Here is the website for that paper.
http://www.corriere.it/
Old 10-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Here is the website for that paper.
Corriere della Sera
I'm afraid they don't publish obituaries on the paper's online edition.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Nobility

Today is a sad day as Stefano died 17 years ago in a tragic wayÖ
But I believe that we must celebrate life, and Stefano had a great life! a beautiful wife, a beautiful love story and sweet and loving children...

God bless you wherever you are

Caroline & Stefano Casiraghi in love by H.Newton
Old 10-03-2007, 05:01 PM

Flowerpower, that is a charming picture. Although it's sad that Stefano only lived to be 30, his life was never wasted. He lived to the fullest capacity. He married the ultimate dream of woman, arguably the world's most beautiful princess, and produced three fine children. He had a successful career at the top of his game. He was World Champion of Offshore Racing! Was it six times he defended his title? He loved large and he was loved handsomely. He gave as much happiness as he felt, and that's saying a lot. Stefano, though your life was short, it was GOOD!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Serene Highness

Hope heīs in peace wherever he is
Old 10-04-2007, 05:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Flowerpower, that is a charming picture. Although it's sad that Stefano only lived to be 30, his life was never wasted. He lived to the fullest capacity. He married the ultimate dream of woman, arguably the world's most beautiful princess, and produced three fine children. He had a successful career at the top of his game. He was World Champion of Offshore Racing! Was it six times he defended his title? He loved large and he was loved handsomely. He gave as much happiness as he felt, and that's saying a lot. Stefano, though your life was short, it was GOOD!
The ancient called that the "gods' jealousy"
Old 10-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Commoner

stefano gave a lot of happiness to his family but also a lot of sadness
Old 10-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Courtier

Bona fides

I saw a program on the lovely and elegant Princess Caroline on the Biography Channel, recently.

I was quite shocked to hear it claimed that her deceased husband, Casiraghi, was, allegedly, a member of a mafia family and that that's where his family garnered their wealth.

Can anyone confirm that this is true, or is it simply envious gossip?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Nobility

It was rumor but nobody can prove it. But who going to talk.A & E talk about the whole family.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I saw a program on the lovely and elegant Princess Caroline on the Biography Channel, recently.

I was quite shocked to hear it claimed that her deceased husband, Casiraghi, was, allegedly, a member of a mafia family and that that's where his family garnered their wealth.

Can anyone confirm that this is true, or is it simply envious gossip?
I guess it's mostly ignorance, as the foreigners think of Italy as a whole, whilst the Italian peninsula is made up of many populations that have only religion and a passport in common, but belong to many different cultures and traditions.

The Casiraghi family is from upper Lombardy, that's a region neighbouring Switzerland, so their culture is more similar to that of the Swiss than to that of Sicily or other mafia dominated Southern Italian regions.

Don't forget that there's a political movement that claims for secession from Southern Italy, and one of its stronghold is situated in Fino Mornasco, the town the Casiraghis are originally from.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Gentry

^Organized crime can occur anywhere - and thus it is not confined to one area only. Furthermore, I find it disrespectful to the people of southern Italy who have nothing to do with the mafia. Put blame to the criminals and not to regions as a whole.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Aristocracy

You're right, tatula. There's even a crime family in New Orleans by the name of De Monaco. NO RELATION AT ALL!

Dave
Old 10-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by talula View Post
^Organized crime can occur anywhere - and thus it is not confined to one area only. Furthermore, I find it disrespectful to the people of southern Italy who have nothing to do with the mafia. Put blame to the criminals and not to regions as a whole.
I lived in Southern Italy for a while, and came across of lots of honest and hardworking people, and the Italian North's more affluent and modern regions owe their wealth to the Southern Italian that come up North to work. But, unfortunately the mafia took advantage of this situation to infiltrate, but they would never enroll Northern Italians in their ranks, as they have a totally different mindset. They're two different societies.

Come take a trip here, from the top to the bottom of the Boot and see yourself!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:34 AM
Courtier

Not one person needs to convince me of the beauty and character of Italy and Italians, everywhere. To my mind, Italian food, fashion, art and national character is second to none, and superior to many. In my private life, two of my godchildren are Italian and are always a joy to me.

I was merely interested to hear the general view of Caroline's deceased husband, whom I know she really loved. In our legal system, it's not possible to slander or defame a dead person; thus, I wondered what the impetus to attribute Casiraghi's position and wealth to criminal activity. I thought, perhaps, that it might have been yet another sensationalists journalistic effort to create a story which I would be happy to have confirmed, or rather, denied.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Since the landing of the Allied in Sicily, the mafia ceased to be a local phenomenon, and startred to travel up North, step by step, then at a slightly higher speed around the '60, in tow of the many immigrants that went to work in the Milan and mostly in the Turin area. Obviously the mafia was backed up by the Americans, who saw it as a defence against communism. Don't forget that Italy had the stronger communist party in the Western world, which was mostly based in North and Central Italy.
Besides the two "Italys" have always followed different historical, and consequently cultural paths. By this I don't mean to say that all the people living in the Italian South are criminals, on the contrary they are the very first victims of the mafia, as the mafia has killed many more Southern Italians than Northeners ones. Besides the journalists and prosecutors that were shot while fighting those criminals were all originally from the South.
I was just stating that labelling a person/family because of their nationality is mere ignorance.

The Casiraghis spring out from a family of humble origins, whose fortune was originated by hard work, and of course luck. The rumors about Stefano might be originated by the factt that he first met Caroline on the yacht of their mutual friends, the daughters of a Sicilian businessman, who has been hinted to be involved with the mafia, but we do not know if he even was a business partner of his.

Besides why always talk about the Casiraghi and their supposed affiliation to the mafia, when Ernst's family was really involved with the Nazis and owe part their fortune to the confiscation of the Jews' properties? That's history, and that's what the German papers and mags wrote...
Old 10-23-2007, 09:00 AM

I've never heard or read any specific indictment of Stefano Casiraghi or his activities. All I have ever read and heard about this allegation of mafia connections are generalizations. No one even says, "Oh he was seen here with so-and-so of known mafia activities," or "he was known acquaintance of such-and-such." All they say is that his grave was violated in a manner supposedly typical of mafia style, and furthermore they allege that this incident indicates possible mafia connections. And of course the Italian stereotypes are drudged up.

Just to throw in my two cents' worth....

The biographer Anne Edwards alleged in her Grimaldis' book that Stefano acquired massive amounts of debt because he liked the grand life and, although he made lots of money, he enjoyed living a bit beyond his actual means, so he borrowed perhaps as much as he earned. This, alleged Edwards, was the reason for Caroline having so much debt after his death. Apparently, she had the value of her jewels assessed and the banks were able to use her jewels as collatoral so that she could make repayment arrangements. Edwards also alleged that Stefano loved Caroline dearly, but apparently had one affair; actually her words were "Caroline learned that he had a mistress all along." I don't know if Edwards's allegations are true, but all of those allegations are the worst of the more specific allegations I have read/heard about Stefano, and to me, these things are not horrible.... I mean, people fall in love, people fall out of love, people have affairs, people acquire debt.... these aren't crimes. And Stefano was so young, just 30 years old, and I am 30 now and have so much to learn, so I have empathy....