The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 04:06 AM
Nobility

Princess Caroline is not fat. She looks fine with me. I think she even looked cute with her 'baby fat' when she was 15!!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Serene Highness

Her weight has always been the same after her 20´s, with the exception of 1 or 2 years after Stefano´s death when she really was very thin.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

This comment doesn't really belong in this thread, but I am not sure where it belongs. I think Caroline became a little "chubby" the first year she spent in Paris, studying for Sciences Po: probably a lot less opportunity to exercise, and the general "freshman's syndrome". One headline proclaimed, speaking of her relationship with Philippe Junot, one year later "She lost three kilos to please him!". But already at 16, Caroline was quoted as saying "My mother told me to lose 3 kilos". Always those three kilos that keep coming and going !
But the point I wanted to make was that whatever weight Caroline had between say 15 and 21, she was extraordinary. I think she was the equivalent of Brigitte Bardot in the fifties. She had "attitude". She looked carefree, enjoying life to the fullest, including the benefits of being Europe's "Caroline cherie". Katherine Hepburn had had "attitude" in the thirties and forties, but (at least to me) it seems a little forced and provocative, a little too much "See what an individual I am ?". Caroline (IMO) was never provocative (except maybe a couple of times at a party), she seemed to want to draw you into her magic circle of general joie de vivre. That's why I compare her to Brigitte Bardot, because they were at their best in the sun, in shorts, hats, beach baskets and bikinis. Caroline permitted the newer generation of princesses to come forth (Diana, Madeleine), and not in that strange way Princess Margaret had had. She also permitted the newer generation of actresses to come into bloom and show off their own brand of attitude, from Sophie Marceau to Charlotte Gainsbourg, to Lou Doillon. Of course, Caroline was the product of her generation (post-sixties) , but looking at pictures of her mother in her youth and looking at her, their body language is entirely different. Caroline photographed well because she never seemed self-conscious, on the contrary, she wanted the photographer and viewer, spectator to be in complicity with her and I think we ate it up, this way she made it easy to identify with her. Who in the world could have identified with Princess Grace ?
She retained that innocence in her first year of marriage to Philippe, but even though she was at her most beautiful in her late twenties, early thirties, with Stephano, she never recaptured that effervescent quality, and as time passes, she is becoming more and more "HRH" with all it implies in distancing herself, even in her kindness and graciousness. Her features hardened, and even though she is still very beautiful, she won't give of herself anymore. But who does at her age ? Queen Sofia maybe, and perhaps Princess Mathilde will, in her own serene way.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Gentry

To me Carolines always had a good figure, regardless of what other people say

I saw those photos and she looked slim to me. Plus camera adds alot of weight and exagerates the persons features and shape exc. Thats why all the Hollywood ladies are really skinny today. I think people were talking about her face which was a little chubby NOT HER BODY. She alwyas had a lil bit of a double chin it didnt have anything to do with her weight. It was just the a hereditary thin she got fomr her grandmother charlotte it looked liked extra skin that sagged a little. Caroline inheried Grace Kellys slim tirm hourglass figure. she was built exactly lik Princess Grace when she was younger. Grace altohugh did gain alot of weight as she got older, due to medical,hormonl reasonsI believe I heard,read. But she NEVER fat either.
Now Stephanie she was one who got her genes mixed, Princess Grace said in a interveiw up, being the super skinny minny of the family, with androgynous build and athletes shoulders as quoted from a magazine article. Anyhow Caroline was never ever fat,chubby. Always slim to medium. She has always had a lovley,graceful slim beautiful figure like her mother.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals
This comment doesn't really belong in this thread, but I am not sure where it belongs. I think Caroline became a little "chubby" the first year she spent in Paris, studying for Sciences Po: probably a lot less opportunity to exercise, and the general "freshman's syndrome". One headline proclaimed, speaking of her relationship with Philippe Junot, one year later "She lost three kilos to please him!". But already at 16, Caroline was quoted as saying "My mother told me to lose 3 kilos". Always those three kilos that keep coming and going !
But the point I wanted to make was that whatever weight Caroline had between say 15 and 21, she was extraordinary. I think she was the equivalent of Brigitte Bardot in the fifties. She had "attitude". She looked carefree, enjoying life to the fullest, including the benefits of being Europe's "Caroline cherie". Katherine Hepburn had had "attitude" in the thirties and forties, but (at least to me) it seems a little forced and provocative, a little too much "See what an individual I am ?". Caroline (IMO) was never provocative (except maybe a couple of times at a party), she seemed to want to draw you into her magic circle of general joie de vivre. That's why I compare her to Brigitte Bardot, because they were at their best in the sun, in shorts, hats, beach baskets and bikinis. Caroline permitted the newer generation of princesses to come forth (Diana, Madeleine), and not in that strange way Princess Margaret had had. She also permitted the newer generation of actresses to come into bloom and show off their own brand of attitude, from Sophie Marceau to Charlotte Gainsbourg, to Lou Doillon. Of course, Caroline was the product of her generation (post-sixties) , but looking at pictures of her mother in her youth and looking at her, their body language is entirely different. Caroline photographed well because she never seemed self-conscious, on the contrary, she wanted the photographer and viewer, spectator to be in complicity with her and I think we ate it up, this way she made it easy to identify with her. Who in the world could have identified with Princess Grace ?
She retained that innocence in her first year of marriage to Philippe, but even though she was at her most beautiful in her late twenties, early thirties, with Stephano, she never recaptured that effervescent quality, and as time passes, she is becoming more and more "HRH" with all it implies in distancing herself, even in her kindness and graciousness. Her features hardened, and even though she is still very beautiful, she won't give of herself anymore. But who does at her age ? Queen Sofia maybe, and perhaps Princess Mathilde will, in her own serene way.
Yes, very very very well said, Caroline was/is/will be of a stunning beauty, but she has always this extraordinary personnality "aura" which if you have it you keep it for your whole life, and this "aura" is independant from any less or more kilos or wrinlke.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I believe Princess Caroline has said in interviews that she didn't get to pick her career, at times I wonder if her "regal" look isn't more a look of boredom. Wouldn't all of us be bored with some of the events she has to attend after as many years as she has had to attend them?!! However, I do think we see her giving of herself to this day in certain situations, such as in the Phillipines, or even at the Palace when she is photographed amongst children. Like Princess Stephanie as well, they are at their most beautiful in those situations where their smiles are genuine and their hearts are in what they're doing.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
I wouldn't have ever talked about that photo hadn't I have seen it myself. It appeared on one of Italy's most popular mag called "La domenica del Corriere" around February/March 1977 - I recall the caption read " See how chubby she's become. She's only 20!" . She looked really fatter than Christina Onassis, who was standing next to her. As you know Christina wasn't exactly paper-thin...
Perhaps that picture will never surface again, but it existed. I wish I could retrieve that mag, and show it to you.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lea
I believe Princess Caroline has said in interviews that she didn't get to pick her career, at times I wonder if her "regal" look isn't more a look of boredom. Wouldn't all of us be bored with some of the events she has to attend after as many years as she has had to attend them?!! However, I do think we see her giving of herself to this day in certain situations, such as in the Phillipines, or even at the Palace when she is photographed amongst children. Like Princess Stephanie as well, they are at their most beautiful in those situations where their smiles are genuine and their hearts are in what they're doing.
Caroline seems to have spoken in this theme for many years now -- that she didn't get to pick her career or have other choices in her life etc.

I don't think there's any doubt that the majority of us would be bored at attending the great number of events she has been obliged to over the years. However, born who she was also accorded her an extremely privileged life with the opportunity to do good in this world and I believe she has done some worthwhile things here.

But I'm not sure she was prevented from following her own inclinations as far as a "career" was concerned. Her parents were very liberal indeed with their daughters as they grew up and I'm sure they'd have preferred her to have followed a career path at the time she seemed more interested in swinging around Paris nightclubs and dating ageing playboys. Just my opinion.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Tosca, I have a picture of Caroline and Christina together, arm in arm, both of them smiling broadly, and you are right, Caroline appears heavy (heavier) than Christina, especially her face, which makes her look positively obese. Incredible. But I think it is the picture, because next to it are pictures of her and Philippe Junot, she is wearing the same clothes, it is the same evening event, and she looks normal, if a little full in the face. It is from Hola Nov 76, the pictures are from Europa Press/SIPA.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Don't forget that while Christina was definitely heavy...there was a brief period when she was thin. She was taking a lot of diet pills and basically living off Diet Coke if I recall.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Courtier

IIRC, her obsession with her weight and the methods she used was a strong contributing factor to Cristina's premature death.

Caroline's weight seems to have stablized since she lost the baby weight from Alexandra. Although I noticed her a bit thinner after all the pregnancy rumours (when she was photographed with a bit of a suitable tummy).

Its hard to tell about Caroline's shape because her clothes are tailored so well!
Old 12-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Could you please post the pics of Caroline with Cristina? I have seen only one pic of them together in the 70s, it would be great to see more.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Do I have to ask permisssion from Hola ?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Tosca, I have a picture of Caroline and Christina together, arm in arm, both of them smiling broadly, and you are right, Caroline appears heavy (heavier) than Christina, especially her face, which makes her look positively obese. Incredible. But I think it is the picture, because next to it are pictures of her and Philippe Junot, she is wearing the same clothes, it is the same evening event, and she looks normal, if a little full in the face. It is from Hola Nov 76, the pictures are from Europa Press/SIPA.
Please please post this famous photo. We have been talking since a long time about Carolin'es weight, I never remember her being fat, may be with two or 3 kgrs more, but for her heright, does not make her "fat". Is the same discussion like with Charlotte, from the "skinny" teen she become a woman with a "normal" body, and now every body says that she is becoming "fat".
On the other side, Letizia if Spain, being slim, she is supposed to have anorexia. Definitely, when you are rich and famous, you are never OK on people's eyes

Back to the matter, I never remember Christina Onassis being thin, so being thinner than Caroline it sounds incredible, so please post this pic.
I'm not moderator, but I thionk for such old pics you do not need to ask permission.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
Please iloveroyals, post that photo and let's stop all this for heaven's sake!because there are some die-hard fans that cannot accept their "idols" being human, like anyone of us.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosca
Please iloveroyals, post that photo and let's stop all this for heaven's sake!because there are some die-hard fans that cannot accept their "idols" being human, like anyone of us.
Hi
You have half right, Caroline has always been my idol. fat or not.

I die to see this picture, to finish this discussion, especailly that i could never imagine Caroline being fatter than Christina Onassis

Please iloveroyals, have a pitty for us, post this picture
Old 12-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

OK, I'll post the photo, give me a day or 2, I am in the middle of grading final exams. I'll also look to see if I have other photos of the 2 of them.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think anyone's claiming Caroline was "fat" - simply that at about the time of her first marriage, she was a few pounds heavier than she is now - that's all.

As for Christina Onassis, she was at times of normal body weight and was definitely not always overweight, so I don't think we should get too excited about this picture, whatever it shows (if indeed it gets posted).
Old 12-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Courtier
TRF Author

Here is the picture. I'll try to post others os the same period.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Courtier
TRF Author

Sorry, I'll try again....There, I got it !