Princess Caroline Pictures: 70s & 80s - Part 3

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She was, back in 1985, a young woman in love and sure to be loved... Sometimes i think that the way she dressed herself was some sort of a gift for her beloved husband. Never again we saw her putting such imagination and care in her look. She became cold in her manners and austere in her wardrobe and, at the same time, she seems to be running after her lost youth and she chooses the worst possible outfits ( remember the gown she wore, this year,in the Rose Ball... )

I love your statement that "the way she dressed herself was some sort of a gift for her beloved husband". I think you are right. Gone were the days of searching for who she really was through a mixture of conformity and rebelliousness, of a certain (quite justified) narcissism and social whirlwind of her marriage with Philippe Junot. Her mother's death had matured her and she had found the perfect balance between being a young wife, mother, princess in Monaco, what she owed to others and what she owed herself. She was geographically and emotionally centered in her home city, beloved by all, and had absorbed her new duties toward her widowed father as well. It seems that this difficult and precarious balance was ideal for the energetic, survivor-type of woman she was, and then it all toppled over again. That gift you speak of for her beloved husband was a gift to us as well. There were no dramas (that I know of at least), no crises, just an absolute textbook model of mediterranean joie de vivre illustrated by the way she dressed, her absolutely natural movements, and her gleaming crown of rich, luscious hair.

She is the best princess always!!

in 80's Caroline was the best time for the princess

Glistening Seas

:)Whatever anyone's opinion of the Rose Ball outfit. The outfits she has worn at all the places "after" that have been phenominal. Did you see that black one with all the pleats. O-m-g that outfit was to "die for" and the one's since then. As far as the Pss Caroline seeming to be depressed I really fail to see that because the pics at the horse show and the places since then show a family that has quite a lot to be happy about and is happy. :lol:because one wears a dress that hasn't been the "spectacular" that she has worn on other occasions doesn't mean she doesn't care about how she looks. Haute coutoure demands a certain amount of willingness to challenge the boundaries of what most people would normally like to wear from time to time.

No, it seems that Caroline's choice of dresses has shown a willingness to push the boundaries of what she might have normally picked for herself probably out of sheer fun or just wanting to try something "different". Perhaps whomever wrote the critique may have simply not had the right perspective on the story it seems. :D:monacostandard::unicorn:

:)Whatever anyone's opinion of the Rose Ball outfit. The outfits she has worn at all the places "after" that have been phenominal. Did you see that black one with all the pleats. O-m-g that outfit was to "die for" and the one's since then. As far as the Pss Caroline seeming to be depressed I really fail to see that because the pics at the horse show and the places since then show a family that has quite a lot to be happy about and is happy. :lol:because one wears a dress that hasn't been the "spectacular" that she has worn on other occasions doesn't mean she doesn't care about how she looks. Haute coutoure demands a certain amount of willingness to challenge the boundaries of what most people would normally like to wear from time to time.

No, it seems that Caroline's choice of dresses has shown a willingness to push the boundaries of what she might have normally picked for herself probably out of sheer fun or just wanting to try something "different". Perhaps whomever wrote the critique may have simply not had the right perspective on the story it seems. :D:monacostandard::unicorn:

I like the mantra "the willingness to challenge the boundaries of what is normal". Why not admit that Caroline sometimes makes not the best choices, and this is more obvious now than in the past. Understandable, because, as we all know, when you are young and beautiful as well, you can get away with anything. Her fashion sense is most of the time impeccable, but she is not above misjudgements as well. You tend to forget that she is just a human being, a very rich and very privileged one, advised by the best of fashion designers but still able to make the wrong choice (maybe BECAUSE she is advised by the best of fashion designers, who never doubt their own opinions).

I like the mantra "the willingness to challenge the boundaries of what is normal". Why not admit that Caroline sometimes makes not the best choices, and this is more obvious now than in the past. Understandable, because, as we all know, when you are young and beautiful as well, you can get away with anything. Her fashion sense is most of the time impeccable, but she is not above misjudgements as well. You tend to forget that she is just a human being, a very rich and very privileged one, advised by the best of fashion designers but still able to make the wrong choice (maybe BECAUSE she is advised by the best of fashion designers, who never doubt their own opinions).

It's refreshing to read once in a while that, as it were, "the empress has no clothes". Indeed, Princess Caroline can make mistakes, let's cut the nonsense of "only she could pull off wearing a potato sack". She is human, she is not perfect, she makes mistakes like the rest of us, and it does not need to be justified and rationalized to death, and we'll continue to love her no matter what.

iloveroyals said:
This is the picture (with a larger one) I was looking for, of Princess Caroline with Yves Saint-Laurent. Monaco70s supplied the information I was lacking : On the other side is Marc Bohan (we both believe). The picture was taken in the summer of 1981 at a gala/recognition the French fashion Industry did to Marc Bohan. Thanks, Monaco70s!
The outfit is by Dior.

Hi iloveroyals, after a reserch into my clipping , this red dress is from Yves Saint-Laurent, so for you and for my very beloved Designer YSL a made this mosaique of picture of Pss caroline with that famous dress:flowers:

The dress Mosaique

Picture 1: Rose ball 1975
Picture 2: With Prince Charles
Picture 3: In USA with Pss Grace
Picture 4: At a diner smiling to singer udo jurgens
Picture 5: At an event ….

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi iloveroyals, after a reserch into my clipping , this red dress is from Yves Saint-Laurent, so for you and for my very beloved Designer YSL a made this mosaique of picture of Pss caroline with that famous dress:flowers:

The dress Mosaique

Picture 1: Rose ball 1975
Picture 2: With Prince Charles
Picture 3: In USA with Pss Grace
Picture 4: At a diner smiling to singer udo jurgens
Picture 5: At an event ….

Thank you ! Monaco70s and I had discussed it and I meant to post it, and forgot. Good point and a beautiful mosaique of pictures! Let's keep looking to see if we recognize her wearing other YSL creations...

iloveroyals said:
Thank you ! Monaco70s and I had discussed it and I meant to post it, and forgot. Good point and a beautiful mosaique of pictures! Let's keep looking to see if we recognize her wearing other YSL creations...

Oki iloveroyals !You’re welcome :flowers:

Let’s keep the investigation ongoing …. I am trying to make a time line of the early Red Cross Ball’s, from 1956 until 1970 if you and monaco’s can help that would be great:)

Great work flowerpower! If I'm not mistaken I think she also wore that dress to Cannes around 1975...there was a picture here if I'm not mistaken.

It seems the Balls from 1963, 1965, 1966, and 1969 went to oblivion since there are no pics from them :( Same with the 50s, 60s, and some 70s Rose Balls.

Few Princess Caroline pics from OGGI:

1 2

Thanks for this set of photos Tbhrc. They're beautiful and show an elegant P. Caroline, so distant from that ( almost ) sloppy (?) image she offers nowadays... :ermm:

From Argentina's GENTE mag from 1981

Few Princess Caroline pics from OGGI:

1 2

Great pics Tosca, thanks! :flowers:

In the pic with Grace and Caroline (1) I really like both of their outfits. They're both stylish and yet both age appropriate. I feel sorry for Princess Caroline at times, when she is criticized for dressing dowdy or conservative, it seems like everyone expects her to dress the same as when she was 20. Other times it does seem like she dresses as if she were still 20.... :ohmy:

^ Thanks! I love that shirt, I'd actually wear it! I think dark blue, red and purple are her colors.

She looked great in her years with Stefano.My mother and her have a lot of facial similarities, it's uncanny.

if albert passes away or resigns and has no issue. i hope caroline and ernst reign monaco a long time. it would be very glamorous

Your pictures are stunning, Marilena. I've seen these pics before. Thanks for the photos.:flowers:

Oh is that ocelot she has on? Couldn't get away with that today.

Great pictures Marilena and Chantal C. It's good to see a new batch of pictures of Caroline (arguably) at her best. There is a whole atmosphere around her that really says "seventies".

shopping at the 80's
http://i39.tinypic.com/9h6fd5.jpg

london 1983
http://i43.tinypic.com/n12hkg.jpg

fashion show , paris 1984
http://i43.tinypic.com/xpstax.jpg

1988 1/ with carole bouquet(chanel fashion show paris) 2/ with francoise sagan(at a party in paris) 3/ with ines de la fressage(monaco)
http://i40.tinypic.com/ih378i.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/imrxhl.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/98vu3q.jpg

Back in 1980s, Princess Caroline always looks so elegant and beautiful. Thanks for posting the pics, Marilena.:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom