Princess Caroline and husbands part II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very touching and nice to see Caroline and Ernst August seemed to be very attracted to one another, not just the sordid mess that exists today.

Very touching and nice to see Caroline and Ernst August seemed to be very attracted to one another, not just the sordid mess that exists today.

Absolutely. An attraction existing for more than 25 years, destroyed by a bad habit.
Contrary to the most of the posters of TRF i personally believe than EA was a gond guy and husband, with a bad habit.

If there is another thread better suited to this question, please re-direct.

I wonder why Caroline remains married to Ernst. Divorce/annulment is not something she avoided in the past. Since she's been separated for many years, what is the purpose of remaining married. Is it financial? Does she receive income from him. Or will she receive an inheritance on his death if they are still married? I've read he is very wealthy. I suppose due to real estate or investments. For that matter, where does the revenue supporting her, Stephanie and all of their children come from? I know Charlotte has income from her affiliation with {Gucci?} and Tatiana comes from a very wealth family, but have read nothing about how the other kids support themselves. Do they all receive income from the principality or do any of them actually have jobs?

I wonder why Caroline remains married to Ernst. Divorce/annulment is not something she avoided in the past. Since she's been separated for many years, what is the purpose of remaining married. Is it financial? Does she receive income from him. Or will she receive an inheritance on his death if they are still married? I've read he is very wealthy. I suppose due to real estate or investments. For that matter, where does the revenue supporting her, Stephanie and all of their children come from? I know Charlotte has income from her affiliation with {Gucci?} and Tatiana comes from a very wealth family, but have read nothing about how the other kids support themselves. Do they all receive income from the principality or do any of them actually have jobs?

Don't know the answer, but another possibility to stay married is the title...isn't she a "Royal Highness" now instead of a "Serene Highness"?

When Rainier III died, he left all three of his children extremely wealthy. The "poorest" of them is Princess Stephanie who is worth a mere 10-20 million compared to Albert and Caroline who both rumored to be billionaires.

The finances of the Grimaldi is pretty much secret except for one undeniable fact...they are among the wealthiest families in Europe. I assume that the Casiraghis live off of trust funds established for them.

Andrea is of course married to Tatiana, who inherited at least a billion dollars from the estates of her late grandfather and her father.

I think she was pressured by Rainier to marry Ernst because of the title. It may be the first time the Grimaldis married a direct decendent of a king. In this case 2 kings. She doesn't need the money.

I remember the Caroline/August affair. No pressure from Rainier was needed. Caroline was head over heels, crazy in love with him from snapshots taken of them canoodling on Caroline's yacht by paparazzi. She had to have him. It was no different than all her other romantic involvements...her heart overruled her judgment.

In the early months of their involvement she was radiant. The fact that he was a mega wealthy Royal Highness and a Hanover was icing on the cake for both herself and Rainier. The fact that he was the man her late mother had always wanted for her probably didn't hurt either.:cool:

I think she was pressured by Rainier to marry Ernst because of the title. It may be the first time the Grimaldis married a direct decendent of a king. In this case 2 kings. She doesn't need the money.

Pcs Caroline has never acted pressured, especially by her father who adored her, and of course not at the aga of 41. If there could have been a pressure in her life it could have been by Pcs Grace when Caroline was a teen or a young lady. Certainly not at the age she wed Pcs EA. She simly wanted to marry him and she did it.

She was also pregnant, which was a deciding factor, no doubt. :whistling:

Princess Florestine of Monaco married Wilhelm, 1st Duke of Urach, who was a direct descendant of Frederick William I of Prussia and his wife Princess Sophie Dorothea of Great Britain, daughter of George I.

The Grimaldis themselves are descended from Frederick II of Denmark through their descent from Johan William Friso, Prince of Orange. Caroline's marriage was not the first time the Grimaldis, themselves direct descendants of kings, married other direct descendants of kings.

I honestly never thought Rainier was someone who was particularly in awe of titles.

I think it is the pregancy of Caroline who decided the wedding of Caroline with Ernst August , Caroline was also very pride to receive the title of (Royal highness ) after I never saw them very happy when they were together during 10 years.

I think she stays married with him even if Ernst August has a mistress because she wants to keep the title of ' royal Highness' .

I think she was very happy with Stéphano Casiraghi, it was very painful for her to come back on the public events in Monaco. I remembered, she cut her hair, and we did not see her during more a year after the death of Stéphano.

She was also pregnant, which was a deciding factor, no doubt. :whistling:

What is it with the Grimaldis getting pregnant before marriage and having babies out of wedlock. I'm sure I hold outdated, old fashioned and prudish standards but Albert, Charlotte, and Andrea all had out of wedlock children. Caroline and Stephanie were pregnant at their weddings. Is there no birth control in Monaco? I guess when you are a member of the ruling family and rich beyond imagination, it really doesn't matter.

What is it with the Grimaldis getting pregnant before marriage and having babies out of wedlock. I'm sure I hold outdated, old fashioned and prudish standards but Albert, Charlotte, and Andrea all had out of wedlock children. Caroline and Stephanie were pregnant at their weddings. Is there no birth control in Monaco? I guess when you are a member of the ruling family and rich beyond imagination, it really doesn't matter.

Stephanie wasn't pregnant during her wedding to Daniel Ducruet; they already had Louis and Pauline.
She later divorced, began an affair with Jean Raymond Gottlieb and had Camille by him.

[ QUOTE=Rocketmom;1764203]What is it with the Grimaldis getting pregnant before marriage and having babies out of wedlock. I'm sure I hold outdated, old fashioned and prudish standards but Albert, Charlotte, and Andrea all had out of wedlock children. Caroline and Stephanie were pregnant at their weddings. Is there no birth control in Monaco? I guess when you are a member of the ruling family and rich beyond imagination, it really doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]

They simply of not care. When they want babies they just have them. Birth control is applied when you do not wish to have babies. But the Grimaldi ladies just wanted them and they had them and frankly I do not see where is the problem. We do not live in the Middle Age. With the only exception of Stephanie having Camille, in all other cases the Grimaldis had a serious long relationship with the fathers of their kids.
I wouldn't say the same for Pcs Albert. I think with Jasmine's mum it was just a "fling", and this shows him very irresponsible.

I think it is the pregancy of Caroline who decided the wedding of Caroline with Ernst August , Caroline was also very pride to receive the title of (Royal highness ) after I never saw them very happy when they were together during 10 years.

I think she stays married with him even if Ernst August has a mistress because she wants to keep the title of ' royal Highness' .

I think she was very happy with Stéphano Casiraghi, it was very painful for her to come back on the public events in Monaco. I remembered, she cut her hair, and we did not see her during more a year after the death of Stéphano.

I think you are right. Stefano was the love of Caroline's life and she hasn't been the same since he was killed in that boating accident.

Why is Princess Caroline still married?

Does anyone know? I'm just curious. They have been separated for years but no divorce. I think she wants to stay married in order to maintain her royal title of Her Royal Highness.

There are plenty royal, noble or high society couples whom remain together but lead a separate life. Her Royal Highness is not a title but a form of address. That is really something different. It is the same as "Your Eminence" to a Cardinal, "Your Grace" to a Duke or "Your Excellency" to an Ambassador.

I don't think Priness Caroline is attached to that. She is a born Princess of Monaco. However an Altesse Sérénissime, she ranks higher than the Prince of Hannover or any other mediatized royal because she is from a reigning family. In any order of precedence, the Prince of Monaco will have prominene before the Prince of Hannover, despite the one being HSH and the other HRH.

Last edited:
Maybe they agreed that until one of them wants to get married again it's not nessesary to get a divorce.

Maybe they agreed that until one of them wants to get married again it's not nessesary to get a divorce.

I think you are right. Stefano was the love of Caroline's life and she hasn't been the same since he was killed in that boating accident.

I think that after Stefano, Vincent Lindon was the most close man to Caroline. Although we don't see him now, he was very affective to Caroline and her children. I winder if they have met each other again.

I think that after Stefano, Vincent Lindon was the most close man to Caroline. Although we don't see him now, he was very affective to Caroline and her children. I winder if they have met each other again.

Just for curiosity: Lindon is also currently separated from his wife and his daughter Suzanne is just six months younger than Princess Alexandra.

I don't think that is true; I've heard their marriage was very rocky, and I believe they'd have divorced if he hadn't been killed.

She and Lindon were reportedly living together within a year of Stefano's death, which surprised me.

I think she loved Stefano deeply, her grief at his funeral was real. She was obviously shattered. But I agree with Mirabel, I remember reading rumors about their marriage. There was also a photo of Stefano leaving a hotel in the company of a beautiful young woman shortly before his death.:ohmy:

I am not 100% convinced that the marriage would have lasted.

I also agree that in spite of her obvious grief at Stefano's death all was not as perfect in their marriage. Whether they would have stuck it out, who knows? I was living in France at the time and the gossip press were reporting on a relationship between Caroline and Lindon 6 months after Stefano was killed. No judgement on my part - life is for living. I liked their partnership - I thought it fulfilled that intellectual side to Caroline. I'm afraid I'm one of those who never understood what she saw in Ernst August.

I read an article by a French reporter who covered Monaco. He said he saw Grace and Rainier bicker alot but never Caroline and Stephano. He said they truly seemed to be happily married. PC said the same thing. She said the only thing they ever argued about was speedboat racing. She thought it was too dangerous.

Last edited:
Does anyone know? I'm just curious. They have been separated for years but no divorce. I think she wants to stay married in order to maintain her royal title of Her Royal Highness.

It may have to do with the fact that she is Catholic and, therefore, is against getting a divorce.

She was right about the speedboat racing, wasn't she?

Unfortunately she was tragically right. It is considered that Stefano had promised her to stop immediately after this race. He told her that as the race was in Nice he could not be absent.

I think and this is only IMO Caroline clearly set her cap to Ernst and did not care that he was at that time married she decided what she wanted and went for it .. right or wrong I don't know but that is what I think. Yes the title may have been another attraction but frankly that she has what she has now is her own fault IMO.
He appeared to me to always be a boozer and that he ended up with pancreatitis should have no surprise to anyone.. if she doesn't like the situation I think is too bad .. IMO

It was a civil marriage so I don't think it has anything to do with her Catholic faith. Not to mention that she ignores anything the Catholic Church says that doesn't suit her!

Back
Top Bottom