The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 12-25-2009, 09:13 PM
starnightsky's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nice, United States
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Except for Junot Caro has made a spectacular success of everything else she has done in life- Ernst included as she has Alex from that marriage.
Caro is the fine outstanding lady she is today despite Junot.
There is something about him I cannot pinpoint as to why I do not think he was for Caro.
Junot is simply cosmopolitan; and caro is a an aristocrat through and through.
I think that is the best way I have heard it put. Junot is cosmopolitan and Caroline is an aristocrat. So well put Jaya!!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 12-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,500
Looking back over this thread, posters have left some very well chosen descriptions of Junot:
"consummate boulevardier", "man about town", "opportunist", "a roué", "sophisticated", "suave", "jaded", and more...

Looking at him now, where has it left him? A sixty-nine year old man who is trying to look like 55.....
I hope that his family like him despite of all that.

Of the two, Caroline has not only survived, but triumphed over disaster.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 12-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lafayette, United States
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Except for Junot Caro has made a spectacular success of everything else she has done in life- Ernst included as she has Alex from that marriage.
Caro is the fine outstanding lady she is today despite Junot.
There is something about him I cannot pinpoint as to why I do not think he was for Caro.
Junot is simply cosmopolitan; and caro is a an aristocrat through and through.
I'm not sure if I can put this in a way that doesn't comment on the personal character of people I have never and I'm sure will never meet, nor do I think I can say this without possibly offending other members of this forum, so please accept this pre-emptive caveat/apology if that is the result for you.

There are many outstanding works done by many prominent people, royal and not. And Princess Caroline has worked for international as well as other philanthropic groups in her own country and throughout Europe.

I don't know about Philippe Junot, his business dealings or anything else that he has done. But his actions-good or bad-aside, Caroline did choose to marry him. True, she made those choices when she was much younger, but they were still her own choices. In addition, after her second marriage and three children, she chose to have an affair with the husband of her good friend, got pregnant by that relationship, resulting in the breakup of a marriage and a subsequent third marriage for herself. Her siblings also practice sexual behavior on a sliding scale of responsibility/respectability, creating children outside of committed relationships and sometimes existing unacknowledged.

Based on the descriptions of Junot, he likely has a philandering nature. But how is Caroline any different in this respect? Many members of this and other forums have chimed in on both sides of the good- or badness of Princess Diana, Prince Charles, Sarah Ferguson, King Juan Carlos, et.al. in terms of fidelity. How are any of them different than Philippe Junot or any other non-celebrity, non-famous person who cheats and/or creates a child outside of their marriage or relationship?

I'm not asking these things to judge any of these people. I'm just curious to find out what people on this forum (who are a small representation of society/societies as a whole) measure the qualities of famous people (in our case, royals) and determine them to be people of redeeming or questionable character.

In the case of the Grimaldis, it seems that the citizens of Monaco do not place any outrage/criticism/blame on them for their actions. It seems rather hypocritical for a Catholic family and country. The same for King Juan Carlos of Spain and the Italian pretenders and politicians such as Berlusconi (although the Italians seem more to ignore the former ruling family in general).

With the Windsors, it seems that all is forgiven in terms of Charles and Camilla where there was once public outrage (even on their wedding day). Other than the usual royal duties, I'm not aware of any other unusually redeeming actions they have done to merit a change in the attitude. So is it just "time heals all wounds", acceptance of the inevitable, or that people just don't care any more?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Rascal
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 12-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Tosca's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
Posts: 3,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
The same for the Italian pretenders and politicians sucha s Berlusconi (although the Italians seem more to ignore the former ruling family in general).
And what about Bill clinton, Roosevelt, JFK and his brothers to name a few?

Any man who's a little power, given him by money or politics, gets unscrupolous when it comes to women. The more mistresses, the more success, from their point of view. It's been like that since time immemorial, and Junot is no exception. Being related to the Monaco family surely gave him a certain appeal.
__________________
Let's go back to the old, and we'll have a progress! (Giuseppe Verdi)
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 12-28-2009, 07:20 PM
selket's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bryn mawr, United States
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
There is something about him I cannot pinpoint as to why I do not think he was for Caro.
Junot is simply cosmopolitan; and caro is a an aristocrat through and through.
This is a nice distinction, I agree with you. She was always way out of his league, just as a person, with a lot of depth and discipline, both of which he seemed to lack.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 07-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I'm not sure if I can put this in a way that doesn't comment on the personal character of people I have never and I'm sure will never meet, nor do I think I can say this without possibly offending other members of this forum, so please accept this pre-emptive caveat/apology if that is the result for you.

There are many outstanding works done by many prominent people, royal and not. And Princess Caroline has worked for international as well as other philanthropic groups in her own country and throughout Europe.

I don't know about Philippe Junot, his business dealings or anything else that he has done. But his actions-good or bad-aside, Caroline did choose to marry him. True, she made those choices when she was much younger, but they were still her own choices. In addition, after her second marriage and three children, she chose to have an affair with the husband of her good friend, got pregnant by that relationship, resulting in the breakup of a marriage and a subsequent third marriage for herself. Her siblings also practice sexual behavior on a sliding scale of responsibility/respectability, creating children outside of committed relationships and sometimes existing unacknowledged.

Based on the descriptions of Junot, he likely has a philandering nature. But how is Caroline any different in this respect? Many members of this and other forums have chimed in on both sides of the good- or badness of Princess Diana, Prince Charles, Sarah Ferguson, King Juan Carlos, et.al. in terms of fidelity. How are any of them different than Philippe Junot or any other non-celebrity, non-famous person who cheats and/or creates a child outside of their marriage or relationship?

I'm not asking these things to judge any of these people. I'm just curious to find out what people on this forum (who are a small representation of society/societies as a whole) measure the qualities of famous people (in our case, royals) and determine them to be people of redeeming or questionable character.

In the case of the Grimaldis, it seems that the citizens of Monaco do not place any outrage/criticism/blame on them for their actions. It seems rather hypocritical for a Catholic family and country. The same for King Juan Carlos of Spain and the Italian pretenders and politicians such as Berlusconi (although the Italians seem more to ignore the former ruling family in general).

With the Windsors, it seems that all is forgiven in terms of Charles and Camilla where there was once public outrage (even on their wedding day). Other than the usual royal duties, I'm not aware of any other unusually redeeming actions they have done to merit a change in the attitude. So is it just "time heals all wounds", acceptance of the inevitable, or that people just don't care any more?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Rascal
This is one of the clearest, most insightful posts I have read on TRF. There is not one SENTENCE that I disagree with.

I like and admire Princess Caroline, but other than her hereditary station in life I don't see how she is all that superior to her first husband, either morally or in any other way.

I would love for those who state that she is, to provide examples.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 07-31-2010, 03:28 AM
La Bouche d'Or's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

I like and admire Princess Caroline, but other than her hereditary station in life I don't see how she is all that superior to her first husband, either morally or in any other way.
I don't see that neither. Even according to the Princess, her first marriage was " as simple and stupid as that'. I don't know why so many people put this much science to it. As matter of fact, that silly experience was all about her, not Junot. He was a parisian, late 70s type Playboy with some jet-set lifestyle, and had represented pure joie de vivre. And Caroline was very young, wanted to have fun and start living the life she had probably dreamed of. Trust me, it was not the first nor the last marriage like that . They both have made to this equally. Fault is on both sides, and that marriage was doomed to fail in this really awkward way.
As matter of fact, I feel a bit of sorry for Junot, as for him being this scapegoat or bad guy that everyone painted him out to be after divorce. Caroline used her professional, learned tricks, after their separation, to show her grief, sadness and unhappiness in a way that everyone felt sorry for her. I think that was her way out of this really embarrassing event
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 07-31-2010, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,500
The irony is that Caroline has become the "Queen" of Monaco and a good mother to all her children, and that Junot has equally become a "paterfamilias" to his many children.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 07-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bordertown, Australia
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
The irony is that Caroline has become the "Queen" of Monaco and a good mother to all her children, and that Junot has equally become a "paterfamilias" to his many children.
He has three children.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 09-27-2010, 10:17 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
He has three children.
One of them is a son named Alexis, right? I saw him on facebook. He graduated from Rosey, a few years ago, maybe 2007. There were some pics of the ceremony and I guess his parents and ?sister? Victoire or something? He kind of reminded me of that Malcolm in the Middle/My Dog Skip kid!
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 09-28-2010, 12:27 AM
georgiea's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I'm not asking these things to judge any of these people. I'm just curious to find out what people on this forum (who are a small representation of society/societies as a whole) measure the qualities of famous people (in our case, royals) and determine them to be people of redeeming or questionable character.

With the Windsors, it seems that all is forgiven in terms of Charles and Camilla where there was once public outrage (even on their wedding day). Other than the usual royal duties, I'm not aware of any other unusually redeeming actions they have done to merit a change in the attitude. So is it just "time heals all wounds", acceptance of the inevitable, or that people just don't care any more?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Rascal
Rascal I have a soft spot for Diana, Princess of Wales because I could relate to what she was going though. I saw her as a victim when Diana, her true story came out in 1992. I really just loved her even though I knew it was her story or her reality. After her death and love affairs came out she was tarnish a little, but I still admire her as a mother and humanitarian. When Prince Henry stated to the press that he was happy for his father to marry the Duchess and that they liked her I was put off. But I think time heals all wounds and I think the Duchess is a good influence on Prince Charles.

Getting back to topic. All the Grimaldi Prince and Princess' love life I am not very impress with. But the Princess' mothering skills I am. They all seem to do their royal duties well, so in that respect I can be impress.

I think a royal or a public person should be judged in how they do their public duties. Private life is private.
__________________
Watch your actions, for they become your habits. Watch your habits because they become your character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 09-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lafayette, United States
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I think a royal or a public person should be judged in how they do their public duties. Private life is private.
Thanks for the response, georgiea. In another thread we have been in a discussion about Prince Carl-Philip, his relationship with Sofia Hellqvist (who has posed topless for a men's magazine), and the potential motive behind her participation in charity causes. Many consider her to be a gold-digger and/or insincere in her charity efforts. Others criticize Prince CP for being involved with a woman that is considered "unsuitable" by many.

There is yet another thread that criticizes CP for being 31 years old and still having no clear job/career and not doing very many royal engagements.

Do you think if CP took on more patronages/royal representations that the question of his partner and her prior actions would be overlooked? And do you think that people who use/manipulate the media (including royals) "give up" the expectation of privacy? I ask particularly in terms of royal weddings and births. Certainly in reigning monarchies but also in some formerly reigning, the family events are made more into media spectacles, with extensive television and magazine coverage.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 09-28-2010, 07:02 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,175
What does any of this have to do with Phillipe Junot?

Let's get back on topic. All additional empty posts will be deleted.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM
ChantalC's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 838
I read from the old newpapers online that Princess Caroline met Philippe at a friend's house in December 1975 but I thought she met him at Regine's nightclub in the summer of 1976. I am not sure what to beleive which one is true. Does anyone know this story about her meeting him at a friend's house?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Vera Friedel's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Roma, Italy
Posts: 210
I actually like P. Junot. He seems a very charming man, even more 30 years ago. I can see why a young Caroline fell for him.
he seems charming, well educated, successful, mundane............
But I can relate to her parents feeling also......................he was too old for her, and too experienced.
Still, I really like Phillippe Junot. Who knows, if Caroline would have met him later in her life they would have made a spectacular couple.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 11-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Tosca's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
Posts: 3,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChantalC View Post
I read from the old newpapers online that Princess Caroline met Philippe at a friend's house in December 1975 but I thought she met him at Regine's nightclub in the summer of 1976. I am not sure what to beleive which one is true. Does anyone know this story about her meeting him at a friend's house?
If I remember it correctly they first had met at a mutual friend's place, and then met again at Regine's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vera Friedel View Post
I actually like P. Junot. He seems a very charming man, even more 30 years ago. I can see why a young Caroline fell for him.
he seems charming, well educated, successful, mundane............
But I can relate to her parents feeling also......................he was too old for her, and too experienced.
Still, I really like Phillippe Junot. Who knows, if Caroline would have met him later in her life they would have made a spectacular couple.
I used to like him, although I've always thought was nothing much to look at, and still do: much more charming and polite than that Hanoverian Prince...
__________________
Let's go back to the old, and we'll have a progress! (Giuseppe Verdi)
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 11-18-2010, 06:53 PM
selket's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bryn mawr, United States
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChantalC View Post
I read from the old newpapers online that Princess Caroline met Philippe at a friend's house in December 1975 but I thought she met him at Regine's nightclub in the summer of 1976. I am not sure what to beleive which one is true. Does anyone know this story about her meeting him at a friend's house?
Here's my little bit of trivia for the night. She either met him or had already met him through a friend, as early as January 1974. There was a party at Regine's that was Caroline's first "solo" party without her parents. HOLA put her on the cover, I think it might have their first, with a feather boa and waved hair. I have some clippings from the event, and you can see her sitting at the same table with Junot and Christina Onassis. She's not next to him though. But the intense look she's giving him!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 11-19-2010, 02:11 PM
ChantalC's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by selket View Post
Here's my little bit of trivia for the night. She either met him or had already met him through a friend, as early as January 1974. There was a party at Regine's that was Caroline's first "solo" party without her parents. HOLA put her on the cover, I think it might have their first, with a feather boa and waved hair. I have some clippings from the event, and you can see her sitting at the same table with Junot and Christina Onassis. She's not next to him though. But the intense look she's giving him!

Thank you, Selket and Tosca. I've seen some pictures of Caroline and Philippe when she went to Regine's in December 1973/January 1974 from Hola magazine on Ebay. Selket, could you please post some clippings of them at a party at Regine's where they first met? I would like to see that again.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 11-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,500
I think Princess Caroline can be forgiven for falling for Philippe Junot in a big way.

After living life in a goldfish bowl, not to mention the rigidity of Palace life, Junot must have been heaven sent for young Caro.

He had charme and looks, and the promise of an interesting relationship.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 11-20-2010, 04:54 PM
selket's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bryn mawr, United States
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChantalC View Post
Thank you, Selket and Tosca. I've seen some pictures of Caroline and Philippe when she went to Regine's in December 1973/January 1974 from Hola magazine on Ebay. Selket, could you please post some clippings of them at a party at Regine's where they first met? I would like to see that again.
You can see what I mean about the way she's looking at him . I remember a comment in an interview where she said that from the moment she met him he was "the absolute ultimate in everything," or something very close to that.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...00/caro73a.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...00/caro73b.jpg
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
caroline, hanover, husband, junot, monaco, news, philippe, pictures, princess, wife


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Philippe, Duke of Brabant and Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz: 4 December 1999 Josefine Royal Weddings 157 04-20-2014 05:51 AM
Crown Prince Philippe To Marry Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz Cathérine Bergeyck King Philippe & Queen Mathilde and Family 59 07-04-2013 10:12 PM
Princess Caroline of Monaco and Phillipe Junot, 29 June 1978 Julia Royal Weddings 91 05-16-2012 11:14 AM
Philippe And Mathilde's Joyeuses Entrées Cathérine Bergeyck King Philippe & Queen Mathilde and Family 46 01-20-2010 03:07 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events diana fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman pieter van vollenhoven pom pregnancy president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess marilene princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]