The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Courtier

Why in the world did he oppose the Catholic annulment on his marriage to Caroline? Now that just doesn't make sense. Maybe he never wanted her to be able to marry again with the blessing of the Vatican, which would have distroyed her parents.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Why in the world did he oppose the Catholic annulment on his marriage to Caroline? Now that just doesn't make sense. Maybe he never wanted her to be able to marry again with the blessing of the Vatican, which would have distroyed her parents.
Maybe it was out of spite. But supposedly, Junot softened his objection to the annulment (or Caroline was hoping that he would) after he had married and had children of his own. I think the annulment came around 1992 after the tragic death of Stefano.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
LOL! It's a rather bland, mild, passive looking and behaving person. Whenever I look at the wedding photo of Caroline and Stefano it's the word that comes to mind(even though the Princess looked radiant)
Sorry, I've just never heard nor seen that word used before.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
She wanted to settle down and marry and have children. Philippe still wanted to party. They did not have the same view of life, the same goals at that time. They had a VERY incompatible understanding of what Christian marriage is/was.

Who knows if things might have turned out differently if they had lived together first or if they had met when Caroline was older?
I don´t think she wanted to settle down exactly, i read in an interview, she said she wanted to get independence and live with her boyfriend, but it was not well seen at that time.She also said she married as a way of rebeling to her parents who constantly critizised her relationship. In her own words "it was as simple and stupid as that".
Old 07-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
I don´t think she wanted to settle down exactly, i read in an interview, she said she wanted to get independence and live with her boyfriend, but it was not well seen at that time.She also said she married as a way of rebeling to her parents who constantly critizised her relationship. In her own words "it was as simple and stupid as that".

Oh wow, thanks Rosana. That's sad that she had to learn such a painful and costly lesson the hard way.

Maybe that is why she seems to take such a hands off attitude with the personal lives of her own children.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
Maybe it was out of spite. But supposedly, Junot softened his objection to the annulment (or Caroline was hoping that he would) after he had married and had children of his own. I think the annulment came around 1992 after the tragic death of Stefano.
They asked for the anulment before Grace's death, Grace came to Rome for the first hearings, and, you are right, it came after Stefano's death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
She also said she married as a way of rebeling to her parents who constantly critizised her relationship.
...and also because after the pics on the boat, her parents had to announce her engagement because it was considered a scandal.
Poor Caroline, nowdays those pics wouldn't be considered that scandalous!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Courtier

I was living in Paris at the time of Caroline's rebellion. She would leave Grace at the apartment and go out in the evening. Caroline would cut the neckline on her outfits so that looked even more risque once she left for a party.
There were many men in Paris like Philippe Junot --- wealthy playboys who bedded many young and beautiful women. Caroline was in way over her head. These were very jaded, sophisticated and older people who were used to this kind of lifestyle.
Once Caroline was caught topless with Junot by the papparazzi, the engagement was immediately announced. Junot brought a photographer pal along on the honeymoon
(to Tahiti, I think) and the subsequent photos were published in Paris Match. Not a very auspicious start to any marriage.
I think that Junot objected to the annulment of the marriage by the Vatican because of the reason given by Caroline for the annulment. Something like he entered into the marriage deceptively, never intended to have children, whatever. I am sure that the annnulment was a matter of pride to a very proud and egotistical man who did not want his reputation smeared.
Junot is the kind of man who should never marry. Somehow he has had the means to support himself and live a pretty quiet life. Still likes to hang out with the Euro crowd and pretty young things. Besides a book (?) he has written, he has managed to keep himself out of the spotlight. Stefano was a boy compared to Phillipe and EA isn't even in his league.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well looks like she got what she wanted and Monsieur Junot was first on the line..........then came Stefano then came Ernst August.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by giov View Post
They asked for the anulment before Grace's death, Grace came to Rome for the first hearings, and, you are right, it came after Stefano's death!

...and also because after the pics on the boat, her parents had to announce her engagement because it was considered a scandal.
Poor Caroline, nowdays those pics wouldn't be considered that scandalous!

what pictures are these ??
Old 07-24-2008, 06:44 AM
Commoner

I found the article People ran the week Princess Caroline married Mr. Junot. Here is the link... The Princess & Her Playboy - Weddings, Philippe Junot, Princess Caroline : People.com
Sorry if this has been posted before, I barely ran into it and don't have the time to read through the whole thread. Enjoy the article.

P.S.
For more People articles regarding the Grimaldi and Casiraghi families, including the birth of Andrea check out this thread.
Old Grimaldi Articles
Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieSofie View Post
I found the article People ran the week Princess Caroline married Mr. Junot. Here is the link... The Princess & Her Playboy - Weddings, Philippe Junot, Princess Caroline : People.com
Sorry if this has been posted before, I barely ran into it and don't have the time to read through the whole thread. Enjoy the article.

P.S.
For more People articles regarding the Grimaldi and Casiraghi families, including the birth of Andrea check out this thread.
Old Grimaldi Articles

I remember it well...isn't it strange that a gypsy predicted at the time that Caroline would have THREE children?? Which she did of course, with her second husband.

And then she married Ernst-August and had a fourth.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post
As Pamk wrote in her post, Caroline was caught topless with Junot by the paparazzi.
This is a link to a post of Tosca's you might be intersted in.
Princess Caroline and husbands part II
Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Does anyone remember the Johnie Carson late night show where he interviewed the Argentinian tennis player (name escapes me) who was dating Caroline when she was perhaps 17 or so and Johnie asked him if she was a virgin? If I remember correctly Prince Rainier threatened to sue for defamation of character. These were pre Junot days.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Does anyone remember the Johnie Carson late night show where he interviewed the Argentinian tennis player (name escapes me) who was dating Caroline when she was perhaps 17 or so and Johnie asked him if she was a virgin? If I remember correctly Prince Rainier threatened to sue for defamation of character. These were pre Junot days.
His name was Guillermo Vilas, but he dated Caroline after her divorce.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Who knows Giov?? LOL I am having a lot of senior moments lately.
However would it make any sese to ask anyone dating a divorcee if she was a virgin and have her father riled enough to threaten a lawsuit?
I have to research this a little more.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Majesty

Please everyone, let's get back to Philippe Junot! There are separate threads to discuss Stefano Casiraghi and Ernst August.

Thanks,

Mandy
Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Nobility

Who is Philippe Junot?? I don't know this name....
Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducii View Post
Who is Philippe Junot?? I don't know this name....
Princess Caroline's first husband!
Old 07-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I remember seeing a magazine cover that mentioned something related to him...it was around 1977 if I'm not mistaken.

The People Magazine article is very informative...it says Phillippe was lost at sea for 2 days when he was younger. And that he followed Caroline when the family travelled around the US in 1976.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post
Junot and Caroline were out on a boat at sea and she was sunbathing topless --- could have been fooling around a little ... the papparazzi got photos and anyway Grace and Rainier were horrified, of course, and so the engagement was immediately annnounced -
(Much to Caroline's satisfaction, I am sure!)

Tags
caroline, hanover, husband, junot, monaco, news, philippe, pictures, princess, wife