Grace, Caroline, Charlotte, Alexandra. . . it's all in the genes!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a haughty confidence I think Caroline has that Charlotte doesn't/doesn't need - Charlotte is more shy/reserved, in a way; Caroline grew up in the "me" generation of the '70s-80s where it was expected that you were to be outlandish, full of yourself:cool:, or display an in-your-face attitude......other than Pierre, her kids are not so much like that. Princess Grace was raised at a time when women had a specific role....more refined, cultured, gentle - which was respected and expected then. Today, it's ok to show that you're smart instead of pretend you aren't.....:whistling:

I fail to understand some of your statements in your post. Even if Caroline grew up in the “me” generation of the 70s-80s, she was not especially outlandish, she was not full of herself, and she did not display an in-your-face attitude. She rebelled against her upbringing just as her mother had done a generation earlier. She wore bikinis because she would have been more outlandish if she hadn't. She had self-confidence, and like almost every girl in any generation, she thought she was wiser than her mother in contemporary social and moral behavior. She had her one or two wild years in Paris, like any freshman would anywhere, anytime. By the 80’s by the way, she was well on her way to replicate a lifestyle Grace would not have disapproved of. It is also interesting that those who lived through the 70’s perceive the role models or idols of their youth as much tamer than those of today who create headlines with their endless substance abuse problems.
Being refined, cultured and gentle was respected and expected then. Remove the “gentle” (but was Grace as gentle as she appeared? It takes a lot of grit to achieve the career she achieved), and Caroline has the same qualities. She may have been gentler than she appeared, acting as big sister and counselor for socially and economically disadvantaged children while still a teenager. At the time, no one thought it was some publicity coup, just the result of being raised to serve and the opportunity to be helpful in a field she believed in.
When you say, “Today, it’s ok to show that you’re smart instead of pretend you aren’t”, do you mean the today of Caroline’s youth, when she asserted her smartness with intellectual and character passion (studying psychology, philosophy, envisaging working with children’s speech problems), or do you mean today of Charlotte’s youth? Frankly, in terms of ambitions and achievements at the same age, I’d put Grace first, Caroline second and Charlotte third. I don’t think Grace ever pretended to be less than smart. This was the Jackie Kennedy and Princess Grace era, when the two First Ladies seemed to emulate if not compete in how smart and cultured they could be, and indeed they both radiated. So did and still does Caroline. Charlotte is very beautiful.

Well, Grace ,Caroline and Charlotte are all beautiful in their own ways. Three stunning ladies.
But as for Caroline, in my opinion a good 50% of her " aura" and " glamour" is due to her personality.
I don't know her, but I am more than sure that she's a very strong woman.
She has a smile that lightens up a room. She gives off energy and positivity. I can sense it even through a picture, just by looking at her.
Charlotte, I think, is just a watered -down copy of her fierce mother.

just had?!? Still has if you ask me... That woman glows, she leaves traces of light whenever she passes by. In ancient times, she would be considered a sorceress... :catmoon: :flowers: :catmoon:
Oops....I meant just has...not just had :flowers: She's beautiful and stunning at every age she has ever been!

There is a haughty confidence I think Caroline has that Charlotte doesn't/doesn't need - Charlotte is more shy/reserved, in a way; Caroline grew up in the "me" generation of the '70s-80s where it was expected that you were to be outlandish, full of yourself:cool:, or display an in-your-face attitude......other than Pierre, her kids are not so much like that. Princess Grace was raised at a time when women had a specific role....more refined, cultured, gentle - which was respected and expected then. Today, it's ok to show that you're smart instead of pretend you aren't.....:whistling:
I totally agree with you horseygal!
Caroline did ALOT of magazine covers! By coice, not like Charlotte where she is snapped by the paps. When someone poses for Vogue Cosmo etc. by choice that speaks of the confidence you mentioned. There was also that incident in a Paris nightclub when she wore a skimpy top and and while she was dancing someone took a not so flattering pic!:eek:
Caroline did have her wild years!:bang:
Any way there is a youtube video of Caroline which shows pretty much what you are talking about. I don't have much time, sorry I cant post it.
But it shows all the magazine covers Caroline did (by Choice) and IMO illustrates what you talked about in you post!:flowers:

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the by choice. I think her father told her to do them.

I totally agree with you horseygal!
Caroline did ALOT of magazine covers! By coice, not like Charlotte where she is snapped by the paps. When someone poses for Vogue Cosmo etc. by choice that speaks of the confidence you mentioned. There was also that incident in a Paris nightclub when she wore a skimpy top and and while she was dancing someone took a not so flattering pic!:eek:
Caroline did have her wild years!:bang:
Any way there is a youtube video of Caroline which shows pretty much what you are talking about. I don't have much time, sorry I cant post it.
But it shows all the magazine covers Caroline did (by Choice) and IMO illustrates what you talked about in you post!:flowers:

What exactly is your point? So she did a lot of magazine covers, (public and official events, paparazzi stuff, and covers shot by the greatest photographers), no great wonder there, she was beautiful, she was a princess, and she had a personality to boot. Both journalists and the public loved her. How does your argument relate to the post you quote?

I fail to understand some of your statements in your post. Even if Caroline grew up in the “me” generation of the 70s-80s, she was not especially outlandish, she was not full of herself, and she did not display an in-your-face attitude. She rebelled against her upbringing just as her mother had done a generation earlier. She wore bikinis because she would have been more outlandish if she hadn't. She had self-confidence, and like almost every girl in any generation, she thought she was wiser than her mother in contemporary social and moral behavior. She had her one or two wild years in Paris, like any freshman would anywhere, anytime. By the 80’s by the way, she was well on her way to replicate a lifestyle Grace would not have disapproved of. It is also interesting that those who lived through the 70’s perceive the role models or idols of their youth as much tamer than those of today who create headlines with their endless substance abuse problems.
Being refined, cultured and gentle was respected and expected then. Remove the “gentle” (but was Grace as gentle as she appeared? It takes a lot of grit to achieve the career she achieved), and Caroline has the same qualities. She may have been gentler than she appeared, acting as big sister and counselor for socially and economically disadvantaged children while still a teenager. At the time, no one thought it was some publicity coup, just the result of being raised to serve and the opportunity to be helpful in a field she believed in.
When you say, “Today, it’s ok to show that you’re smart instead of pretend you aren’t”, do you mean the today of Caroline’s youth, when she asserted her smartness with intellectual and character passion (studying psychology, philosophy, envisaging working with children’s speech problems), or do you mean today of Charlotte’s youth? Frankly, in terms of ambitions and achievements at the same age, I’d put Grace first, Caroline second and Charlotte third. I don’t think Grace ever pretended to be less than smart. This was the Jackie Kennedy and Princess Grace era, when the two First Ladies seemed to emulate if not compete in how smart and cultured they could be, and indeed they both radiated. So did and still does Caroline. Charlotte is very beautiful.

Hopefully, you don't think I'm knocking Caroline, Grace, or Charlotte - I'm just asking that readers recall the eras I'm discussing - it was acceptable and expected in the 1950s for women to be more refined, speak softly, dress impecably, and hide their intelligence - plenty of women were accomplished and educated, it was just frowned upon to be perceived as bragging about it (back then); in the 1970s and 1980s it was more acceptable for women to be more bold, speak up,go for higher-profile jobs, dress how THEY chose to, cut their hair/grow it wild and long - you see such a drastic departure in the 70s and 80s from the quiet "lady" to the competitive woman (AND THANK GOD) who wasn't afraid to spell out what she was good at and being smart was something to be touted, not shunned.

Horseygal, thank you for your response and clear explanation.

Caroline for me also totally embraced her role as princess, and this fondness of her place in the world shows in her aura. She has a more conscious eagerness for fashion -- Charlotte's forte is more the casual chic, while Caroline looks great in both casual and formal events -- and has a better grasp of the attention towards her. She seems more natural and more glamorous than her daughter. Personally though, I think that Charlotte is more beautiful than Caroline, but Caroline can be more stunning and is more elegant.

But without disregarding the great beauties of Caroline and Charlotte, I think that Grace will always be in a special level. Whether it's the Grace Kelly on "To Catch A Thief" or the Princess Grace giving her last interview thankfully available on youtube, her name will always figure its way in "The Most Beautiful Women Of All Time" lists or classic fashion inspirations.

I agree with your post, but I did want to add my own thoughts.

Charlotte is in her mid-twenties. While she's no longer a youth, she still exploring her ambitions and deciding what she wants to do with her life. Although she seems to have it mostly figured out, she may not be fully settled yet.

Princess Caroline has embraced her duties--arguably because of Grace's premature death, but also she has been able to rebel, marry and have children, live a "normal" life and figure out her goals. I imagine in a decade or two--after Charlotte's had full opportunity to make good and bad choices in love, life and career, she too would will be less shy about embracing princess duties. (And considering she's not even titled, I think Charlotte has shown herself to be devoted to Monaco.)

Major word to your comments about Grace's aura!

Horseygal, thank you for your response and clear explanation.

No prob!:flowers: We have enough snarking that goes on here, so I always like to try to explain my point w/out offending. When I think of "old-school" ladies, my grandmothers come to mind - always dressed impecably (even for grocery shopping) - including hair done, lips/nails....today, most of us go grocery shopping in our sweats and hair in a ponytail!! Expectations are more loose today - unfortunately, women are always going to be under scrutiny for their looks - especially high-profile royals.....

No prob!:flowers: We have enough snarking that goes on here, so I always like to try to explain my point w/out offending. When I think of "old-school" ladies, my grandmothers come to mind - always dressed impecably (even for grocery shopping) - including hair done, lips/nails....today, most of us go grocery shopping in our sweats and hair in a ponytail!! Expectations are more loose today - unfortunately, women are always going to be under scrutiny for their looks - especially high-profile royals.....

I agree there. Grace, Charlotte, Caroline, will always carry themselves with class, and it probably goes back to Grace's ancestors and is something you can't lose. My friends who rebelled against the constraints of their upbreeding can't shake off their aura of refinement.
Looking at photos of women, taken up to the sixties or so, it seems that that polish was de rigueur. (If you watch Mad Men, you see what I mean).
I was also thinking of words that are so contextual : "gentle" for example. How many of us are gentle in one situation and not so gentle in others? Charlotte always seems very gentle (but who knows?), and Princess Mathilde seems to have a true gentle personality, which gives her that luminosity that 's all hers.

Based solely on pictures one cannot say whether those women are gentle or not. The are polished, glamourous,stylish,and maybe gentle, too.
As far as looks are concened, my favouite one was, is, and will alwas be PC.
Then Grace, and then Charlotte.

Well, I don't know where exactly to put this one but this thread comes the closest. Prince Louis, the father of Prince Rainier and Prince Albert look so much alike.

Albert
Louis

Last edited:
Well, I don't know where exactly to put this one but this thread comes the closest. Prince Louis, the father of Prince Rainier and Prince Albert look so much alike.

Albert
Louis

Wow, amazing resemblance!

Albert
Louis

FYI,Prince Louis was Rainier's grandfather, but this is a picture of Prince Pierre who was Rainier's father and yes there is a resemblance between Pierre and Albert.

Oh gosh.. in the 1st picture Albert looks like.. Charlene.

As for Grace Kelly, well, if someone told me that Gwyneth Paltrow is her daughter, i would believe it. She could def play her in a movie. The resemble is unbelievable for me. They're both so delicate & like swans.
Grace: http://i56.tinypic.com/70wgwp.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/1pwj5s.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/15zsf0p.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2n6dgdi.jpg
Gwyneth: http://i56.tinypic.com/wldopt.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2aj2jd3.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/25spf6u.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/10zoawo.jpg

Wel, I only see Ducruet and Ernst in those kids.

I'm afraid the "Ernst" mouth cannot be denied - much as one would want to!

Last edited by a moderator:
^Thank you so much!! Very interesting gallery, I loved watching at the pics.
There is a BIG mistake in the last pic: it's not Beatrice Borromeo but ex-Mrs Scrimgeour. Hola should have worked more seriously!
On the first pic, Caroline looks a lot like Charlotte (picture in the left). It's funny that they share the same face, and there the look alike is more obvious because of Caroline's grumpy look!
However, nothing about Andrea? The pics are focussed on Charlotte and Pierre, but Andrea looks like his father so much!

I agree with LovelyKate.
On th other hand, i think that the 3 of the Trio looks so much alike Stefano. They all have this italian looks on thei faces that they of course inherited from their father. Even Charlotte, who sometimes and in some angles, looks like her mother. But she is not a "clone" of her.

Back
Top Bottom