Grace, Caroline, Charlotte, Alexandra. . . it's all in the genes!

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't understand posts I see from time to time comparing Charlotte to her grandmother, Princess Grace. I don't see one single feature they have in common. Grace was fair skin, small lips, square jaw - Charlotte is dark skinned, large lips, and a pointy jaw. Charlotte and her mother both take after Caroline's Father's side of the family. In particular, they both look similar to Prince Rainier's mother, also named Charlotte. Here is a picture of her:
Fringe Tiara

LadyEsquire said:
I don't understand posts I see from time to time comparing Charlotte to her grandmother, Princess Grace. I don't see one single feature they have in common. Grace was fair skin, small lips, square jaw - Charlotte is dark skinned, large lips, and a pointy jaw. Charlotte and her mother both take after Caroline's Father's side of the family. In particular, they both look similar to Prince Rainier's mother, also named Charlotte. Here is a picture of her:
Fringe Tiara

Charlotte has light skin, she takesfrom her father, Caroline has darker skin.

Charlotte does not look like Grace at all, bot sometimes you can find expressions like Grace, but just this.
Charlotte is the splitting image of Caroline, with a lot of Stefano

I usually don't think that Charlotte has quite the same "allure" as her mother in the pictures we see of her, but in this picture she does. I mean by that what I had described as the alpha girl look, the girls who knows she is dominant in any group . Then, I found that picture of Grace Kelly with Ava Gardner, and I don't mean to say Caroline looks like Ava Gardner, but there is a similarity of expression, very "above (you) all". I'll have to see whether there are similar ones of Grace, since obviously in the movie (Mogambo)she was supposed to play second fiddle to Ava Gardner , therefore the meek look, but I think she ended up stealing the leading man (Clark Gable, I think)from Ava.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/louise_030/scan0026.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/louise_030/scan0075.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/louise_030/scan0063graceavacaro.jpg

Princess Grace was well-proportioned. She more than made up for her physical flaws, such as her unabundant hair, square face, and weight gain later in life by dressing up appropriately, always being properly postured, and maintaining a serene but unsmiling look whenever photographers zoomed in (knowing that smiling would reveal her wrinkles). It showed her Hollywood orientation.

In Edith Head's book (the legendary Hollywood costumer), she said that Grace was the perfect, most ideal model she had because she just had everything right. She even mentioned that Grace's frame was exactly that of the mannequin/dress frame whereas Audrey Hepburn was too thin she always had to alter the dresses so it wouldn't droop on Audrey.

Grace was a classic beauty. She could have played Helen of Troy anyday. Edith Head also commented on her opinion the perfect features and the flaws of a lot of actresses. Elizabeth Taylor had the perfect face and hair; Audrey Hepburn's neck was too long but had the best waist; and Grace Kelly had the best posture but her waist was too small. Interestingly, Audrey had a smaller waist (20") than Grace (21" on her wedding day).

Caroline has some of Grace's classic bone structure, but takes after Rainier's Mediterrean/olive complexion and has stronger, more dominant features

Charlotte looks like Caroline but has softer features and fairer complexion.

Last edited:
EmpressRouge said:
Grace was a classic beauty. She could have played Helen of Troy anyday. Edith Head also commented on her opinion the perfect features and the flows of a lot of actresses. Elizabeth Taylor had the perfect face and hair; Audrey Hepburn's neck was too long but had the best waist; and Grace Kelly had the best posture but her waist was too small. Interestingly, Audrey had a smaller waist (20") than Grace (21" on her wedding day).

Caroline has some of Grace's classic bone structure, but takes after Rainier's Mediterrean/olive complexion and stronger

Charlotte looks like Caroline but has softer features and fairer complexion.

Very well said! I agree completely!

Yes I agree either.
Charlotte took some " blondiness" from her dad Stefano so her complexion is fairer and her hair is lighter than Caroline's.

Lucia Rose said:
My mother thinks that Caroline and Charlotte have nothing on Grace. She says that Caroline's front teeth are too big and her lips too wild shaped and her face too long. She says Charlottes lips are way too big and pouty and shapless. she says that Grace's face was just perfect.

She remebers from an interveiw that Caroline did on t.v that she never felt as beautiful as Grace, and said that she isnt beautiful like her mother at all. That she was so amazed and taken by her beauty and said that nobody could compete with her, she was the most beautiful woman ever.

I must say, I do agree with that.

Does anyone know if the Grimaldi family ever spend time with their American cousins?

It suddenly occurred to me that if it is so easy to confuse Caroline with Charlotte in some pictures at the same age, it is because the styles haven't changed that radically in the thirty years or so that separate them. I am not sure it could be true, say if Caroline had been blond and the spitting image of her mother because the hairstyles were so different in the 27 years that separated them when they were the same age.

I think Caroline resembles her paternal grandmother, Princess Charlotte, and her mother's sister Peggy. Caroline has a warmer look than Grace.
Personally I think people are just comparing their beauty and not really their similarities.

But Charlotte does favor her mother. I think there is a strong resemblence there!
I agree with this .Caroline does have a warmer look then Grace but Grace was called the ice princess so that makes sense.Grace was a classic beauty with a slightly too square chin.Grace was classic,regal,elegant while Caroline is more exotic and sultry,fun and flirty.Charolette is very pretty but she seems to lack her mothers spark maybe she will show what is unique about her in time.Caroline is the most beautiful of the three but she's the princess I grew up with and maybe that does play into my feelings.I think it would have been wonderful to look like Caroline.

Everybody worships Charlotte but IMO she's just a faded, subtler copy of her mother Caroline.
I dont see much resemblance between the two, too: I would always pick Caroline over Charlotte anytime, everytime.

Charlotte really does have a right to grow into a woman from a girl, which is how most of her fans are used to viewing her. She can improve herself anyway she wants. She also seems to be growing more confident in herself. There was once a time when Caroline looked like a slouching, grumpy teenager next to her elegant mother, Princess Grace, but she grew up. She came into her own self awareness as a woman and then as a wife and mother. I think Charlotte will do the same.

As far as Alex, no one knows how long she will date him. I think he is also part of her transition into a more mature woman but that doesn't mean she won't eventually move on from him the same way she felt she had to move on from Felix.

Not that I want to change the subject here, but when did Caroline ever look like a slouching teenager next to her mother ? I've never seen pictures showing that phase, quite the opposite.

Charlotte has certainly changed and I guess it's time to say good-bye to the person we had been used to, with her innocence and mystery. I guess most of us are a bit nostalgic about that period, she was so lovely, so unselfconsciously ravishing.

I look forward to the next phase in her life, and she will certainly pleasantly surprise us. I am particularly curious about her career choices now. People magazine said she interned for a publishing house. I didn't know that.

Publishing house??? Like People Magazine or Hello Magazine???:rolleyes:...I thought she's in Channel.. ??

Not that I want to change the subject here, but when did Caroline ever look like a slouching teenager next to her mother ? I've never seen pictures showing that phase, quite the opposite.

Charlotte has certainly changed and I guess it's time to say good-bye to the person we had been used to, with her innocence and mystery. I guess most of us are a bit nostalgic about that period, she was so lovely, so unselfconsciously ravishing.

I look forward to the next phase in her life, and she will certainly pleasantly surprise us. I am particularly curious about her career choices now. People magazine said she interned for a publishing house. I didn't know that.

I suppose Princess Grace, who was always conscious about protocol and poise, wouldn't have allowed Caroline to slouch. I picture her whispering to Caroline a lot when in public, alerting her whenever her posture is bad or if there is anything she's doing that the paparazzi would prey on.

Caroline, Charlotte, and Grace were/are all absolutely beautiful. I think Caroline got Rainier's coloring, Charlotte probably got her father's coloring, she's fairer skinned than her mom. They aren't strikingly similar, but you can tell that all three are from the same family.

Caroline and her kids certainly have the best looks in the family!

Caroline and her kids certainly have the best looks in the family!

Totally agree! I think Pierre looks the most like Stephano, although there are whispers of him in Andrea's expressions. Charlotte looks like a combo of her mother and grandmother - Princess Grace; all beautiful!!

Totally agree! I think Pierre looks the most like Stephano, although there are whispers of him in Andrea's expressions. Charlotte looks like a combo of her mother and grandmother - Princess Grace; all beautiful!!

You really think charlotte looks like to princess grace? :eek:.. she do looks like to her grandmother but it's not princess grace...it's princess charlotte..charlotte is the carbon copy of princess caroline and princess charlotte...

it's not against you horseygal but I can't get why every one want absolutely to find sth between charlotte and princess grace....or between princess grace and princess caroline...
The three of them are very beautyful...that's sure...but they are beauty in their own way...they have their personalities...

the next princess grace isn't born yet...(and i hope, it won't happen....i explain...grace was so loved, admired...it will be so awful and difficult to that child... people will always compare the two of them...) do you imagine? people will want that child to be as "perfect" as princess grace...( i don't know if you see what i mean)...

i remember reading somewhere that princess caroline didn't named charlotte after grace justly ( i don't remember the word sorry) because of that...how hard it would be to succeed to princess grace...so she decided to name the litte girl charlotte...

Last edited:
You really think charlotte looks like to princess grace? :eek:.. she do looks like to her grandmother but it's not princess grace...it's princess charlotte..charlotte is the carbon copy of princess caroline and princess charlotte...

it's not against you horseygal but I can't get why every one want absolutely to find sth between charlotte and princess grace....or between princess grace and princess caroline...
The three of them are very beautyful...that's sure...but they are beauty in their own way...they have their personalities...

the next princess grace isn't born yet...(and i hope, it won't happen....i explain...grace was so loved, admired...it will be so awful and difficult to that child... people will always compare the two of them...) do you imagine? people will want that child to be as "perfect" as princess grace...( i don't know if you see what i mean)...

i remember reading somewhere that princess caroline didn't named charlotte after grace justly ( i don't remember the word sorry) because of that...how hard it would be to succeed to princess grace...so she decided to name the litte girl charlotte...

Your English is fine, and I understand your points of view perfectly. I agree that there is probably a "romantic" notion where people see hints of Princess Grace in Charlotte's looks (I don't think that Princess Caroline looked like her, exactly - more a combination of Prince Rainier and Princess Grace; Prince Albert looks more like Princess Grace). I also see your point about a child being named after or strongly compared to Princess Grace would face a lot of pressure, and it has been smart of Princess Caroline not to make her children princes or princesses, and to remove them from the limelight so they had a normal childhood.

Maybe Charlotte's daughter will name after Grace, who knows..but to resemble Grace's look...I think she needs to marry an American or pure British (not Alex eventhough he is a British guy)..then her daughter's hair will be blond and not brunette..:rolleyes:

I think I'm the only one, but I always saw a strong resemblance between Caroline and Grace, especially when Caro was a teen (then she partially grew out of it, so to say), but I don't see any resemblance between Char and Grace, because as much as Char and Caro seem sometimes sisters, I see also a lot of Stefano in his daughter. Pierre is definitely his father son, while Andrea, who was the spitting image of his father when he was little, now also reminds me a bit of a young Albert.

I think I'm the only one, but I always saw a strong resemblance between Caroline and Grace, especially when Caro was a teen (then she partially grew out of it, so to say), but I don't see any resemblance between Char and Grace, because as much as Char and Caro seem sometimes sisters, I see also a lot of Stefano in his daughter. Pierre is definitely his father son, while Andrea, who was the spitting image of his father when he was little, now also reminds me a bit of a young Albert.

I completely agree with you on every point. :flowers: The American press, as Caroline was growing up, frequently remarked on her resemblance to Grace (though of course, Grace being their american princess, they would be looking to see her looks passed on :) , but I also think they were right). I think she grew out of it in her late teens because she finally lost the last of the puppy fat in her face. Some photos of her as a young girl showed a noticable resemblance, both of them with their strongly chiseled features, almost identical small noses, ways of holding their heads, and often their smiles. Caroline also clearly inherited her mother's artistic eye, as well as her example, when it came to dress and styling.

To me, half the time Charlotte looks like her mother (mostly in her expressions, and of course her coloring and hair), half the time like Stefano. I see zero resemblance in Charlotte to Grace. The only similarity between them I see is due to the fact that they both have very even, lovely and symmetrical features, but these Charlotte got from her parents, not Grace.

Charlotte Casiraghi is his father daughter. I can see Stefano in her everytime.
Zero resemblance to Grace though. Albert looks like Grace, but the two sisters caroline and Stephanie ( and their offspring) have no resemblance to their mother.
IMO, the most beautiful is Caroline. I love her features , dark hair and blue eyes. She's the most perfect of them all.

Caroline (and therefore Charlotte who resembles her mother so unbelievably) looks much like her grandmother Charlotte. I have a picture of Charlotte sen. as a young woman, you can clearly see that Caroline has inherited much from her.

Charlotte is the spitting image of her mother.

Back
Top Bottom