Princess Caroline‘s Role in Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Makes me think if her mother hadn't died young would she eventually taken Grace's responsibilities?

If Grace had somehow survived the accident, but was incapacitated by it then yes I believe that Caroline would have taken on some of Grace's responsibilities.

We see it even today in other reigning monarchies as people pass on or retire, that the younger members take on more duties.

If Grace had somehow survived the accident, but was incapacitated by it then yes I believe that Caroline would have taken on some of Grace's responsibilities.

We see it even today in other reigning monarchies as people pass on or retire, that the younger members take on more duties.
Yep thats true :flowers:

Makes me think if her mother hadn't died young would she eventually taken Grace's responsibilities?

Grace's responsibibilities were minimal. That is logic in the world's smallest state, bar the Vatican. There is an aura of saintness around Grace Kelly, but for long periods she was unhappy and deadly bored in Monte-Carlo and developed a drinking problem. Let us remain honest.

If we count what Grace really did as la princesse de Monaco, apart from being a famous-actress-turned-royal covering Paris Match or ¡Hola!, it is really as much (or as little) as her daughter-in-law "does" today.

Last edited:
Plus all the jobs Caroline took over when Grace died. And the presidency of the Red Cross that Albert took over.

but if Grace had not had the accident and had gone on to have a normal length of life, I can't see what Caroline would have done. A bit of helping out, but Monaco IS a small place, and there's not that much "work|" for the RF to do... Grace had a role as Princess Consort.. but had she gone on in good health, I think Caroline would have gone on with her social life, a little bit of charity work, and married and had kids.. and i can't see that there would have been much "space" for her to have a role as a Princess.

Plus all the jobs Caroline took over when Grace died. And the presidency of the Red Cross that Albert took over.

A job is a bit a too flattering description. Not that she has to be there from eight to five to earn any money. It are honorary functions, the real work is done by staff and volunteers.

It is not that Caroline von Hannover has to write invitations or decorate bouquets for the Bal de la Rose. She is in that position because she is what she is, where she was born into, not because of any specific job requirements or qualifications, she never had to apply for anything.

Then none of the royals have a job or work as they were all born into it or married into it.

Then none of the royals have a job or work as they were all born into it or married into it.

true, but there are degrees. In a monarchy like the British one, typically royals have many patronages and are expected to show up for a lot of engagements. Monaco is a tiny place and I don't think that there is "work" for more than a couple of people. Albert is in charge.. and his wife isn't the most active princess so Caroline has more to do.. but its still not like she's slaving away 12 hours a day...and If Grace had lived to old age, i dont think tehre would have been much for Caro to do so she would probably have been occupied with her children....

That is not true. Many of the royals have paid jobs for which they have matching qualifications. But Caroline von Hannover is lucky not to have any job and to fill some of her time with honorary functions

Grace's responsibibilities were minimal. That is logic in the world's smallest state, bar the Vatican. There is an aura of saintness around Grace Kelly, but for long periods she was unhappy and deadly bored in Monte-Carlo and developed a drinking problem. Let us remain honest.

If we count what Grace really did as la princesse de Monaco, apart from being a famous-actress-turned-royal covering Paris Match or ¡Hola!, it is really as much (or as little) as her daughter-in-law "does" today.

In my opinion yes, because remember she and Rainier had to work together to make Monaco what it is today and that is why her legacy is still entact today. But we will agree to disagree.

In my opinion yes, because remember she and Rainier had to work together to make Monaco what it is today and that is why her legacy is still entact today. But we will agree to disagree.

her legacy was to put a certain bit of elegance and refinement on Monaco and it is more respectable today. However Rainer is the main person who built up the business side of the principality.. and as Duc has said, Grace while she did some charity work, wasn't always all that happy there....

her legacy was to put a certain bit of elegance and refinement on Monaco and it is more respectable today. However Rainer is the main person who built up the business side of the principality.. and as Duc has said, Grace while she did some charity work, wasn't always all that happy there....
She probably thought being a princess was like a fairytale but regretted leaving. But i'm sorry I find it sad you guys think just because Monaco is not GB that its irrelevant in terms of work and impact. She did a lot besides glamour. There's fabulous books on her that goes into great detail.

Anyways this is about Caroline!

Grace's official responsibilities may not have been overwhelming, but the personal projects she increasingly took on in helping people, not just Monegasques, have been spoken about and acknowledged by her family. Even Caroline said that before her mother's accident she was "doing too much", "in planes too much" etc. Others in her circle have also had similar stories. I can find out more if anyone wants direct quotes.

She probably thought being a princess was like a fairytale but regretted leaving. But i'm sorry I find it sad you guys think just because Monaco is not GB that its irrelevant in terms of work and impact. She did a lot besides glamour. There's fabulous books on her that goes into great detail.

Anyways this is about Caroline!

Its still a tiny place.. and that limits its influence... and the amount of work that a royal can do. Britain had an Empire so it has a much broader scope. Caroline did an OK job filling in when her mother died but then she made another bad marriage and while she still has a role.. it is a limited one.

Grace's official responsibilities may not have been overwhelming, but the personal projects she increasingly took on in helping people, not just Monegasques, have been spoken about and acknowledged by her family. Even Caroline said that before her mother's accident she was "doing too much", "in planes too much" etc. Others in her circle have also had similar stories. I can find out more if anyone wants direct quotes.

Thank you! She really worked endlessly and did so much. Its why she is unforgettable!

what do you mean by that? That she didnt fulfill the role? Or that she found the role unfulifilling?

Sorry for the confusion I mean if some of yall think if she went beyond as a princess and done a great job.

Sorry for the confusion I mean if some of yall think if she went beyond as a princess and done a great job.

went beyond? What? She did a decent job as Princess and first lady when Grace died. Then over time, she seemed to end up in another bad talboid marriage and as she grew older, she got less attention...

We have to remember women’s roles when Grace was princess. It was perfectly acceptable and actually preferable for women not to work and only raise children and support their husbands in the fifties and sixties. Things began to change in the seventies as women began to be expected to work. Look at Kate now, the mother of three small children and how she has been expected to work and not just concentrate on her family

went beyond? What? She did a decent job as Princess and first lady when Grace died. Then over time, she seemed to end up in another bad talboid marriage and as she grew older, she got less attention...

Fair point I guess. Just seemed she was more capable...

You are always quite negative about Monaco and the Grimaldis. We know it's small, we know it's not a 9 to 5 job especially for the peripheral members of the family. But the days can be filled with doing useful things - I don't agree that Caroline (and Grace) is merely a figurehead for her various patronages. She takes an active interest and she does more than turn up for a photo opportunity and a bunch of flowers.

Both Caroline and Grace, as well as Stephanie and Charlene, have interests beyond Monaco. When Grace was "deadly bored" she found things to do - she was often in Paris or involving herself in new creative activities. I don't think she was a saint and I agree there is an awful lot of looking back with rose-tinted glasses but equally, I think, there is a tendency by some people to want to prove she wasn't a saint by denigrating what she did do.

You are always quite negative about Monaco and the Grimaldis. We know it's small, we know it's not a 9 to 5 job especially for the peripheral members of the family. But the days can be filled with doing useful things - I don't agree that Caroline (and Grace) is merely a figurehead for her various patronages. She takes an active interest and she does more than turn up for a photo opportunity and a bunch of flowers.

Both Caroline and Grace, as well as Stephanie and Charlene, have interests beyond Monaco. When Grace was "deadly bored" she found things to do - she was often in Paris or involving herself in new creative activities. I don't think she was a saint and I agree there is an awful lot of looking back with rose-tinted glasses but equally, I think, there is a tendency by some people to want to prove she wasn't a saint by denigrating what she did do.

Also there are countless of books that has said beyond just being a Princess of Monaco she did a lot of charity work to help others in other European countries and in the US.

Back
Top Bottom