Princess Caroline‘s Role in Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The British Royal family have bodyguards with them at all times but I have never seen a photo of Caroline with a bodyguard. She always seems to be alone in the street, shopping or at airports. Doesn't she have a bodyguard? Maybe Monaco is so safe she doesn't need one?

The British Royal family have bodyguards with them at all times but I have never seen a photo of Caroline with a bodyguard. She always seems to be alone in the street, shopping or at airports. Doesn't she have a bodyguard? Maybe Monaco is so safe she doesn't need one?

She has! She is a very imporatnt and rich woman and she has to have one, but he is very discreet. In many pics I have noticed a man near to her and her children. In summer of 2009 (when she was invited in Spetsopoula, Niarcho's family island), she has visited the island Spetses and she was seen at a bar with her friends and in another table her bodyguards. I have also seen Charlotte and Rafael, for example at Los Angeles airport (when she was with Gad). A bodyguard was with her.

So does she just have a bodyguard with her when she goes abord? Does she have one when on Monac

Last edited by a moderator:
Some lines catches my attention : Pr Caroline said « because of my mother's bad French, I received relatively little praise when I presented my marks book »

She also replied when asked if she feels a bit as an american : « Not very, in fact. There are traces, of course, we spent some time there, my brother even studied there. My American grandparents were first-generation immigrants: my grandmother was born in Germany, my grandfather was the only one born in the United States, the rest of his family was Irish. The Irish family remained very Irish, and the Irish have always had a certain distrust of Americans. It's all part of the family legend. We are Americans in the European sense, it's not as if we fell off the Mayflower to found New England.»

Last edited:
https://madame.lefigaro.fr/celebrit...est-essentiel-de-choisir-sa-vie-291020-183170

Beautiful cross interview between the Princess of Hanover and Charlotte Casiraghi.

I wish I can speak French instead of resorting to Google Translate. :D

They both seem like very interesting women. Charlotte can't help being academic, it seems, while Princess Caroline's years of experience and unique life just comes out in how she answers her questions. She must be absolutely fun to talk to.

The pictures that accompany the interview are by Felix Dol.
He’s the brother of Juliette Dol, Charlotte’s friend, and the son of Jean Christophe Maillot, the choreographer of the Ballets de Monte Carlo.
He also took the picture of Charlotte and Dimitri at the party after their civil wedding.

I wish I can speak French instead of resorting to Google Translate. :D

They both seem like very interesting women. Charlotte can't help being academic, it seems, while Princess Caroline's years of experience and unique life just comes out in how she answers her questions. She must be absolutely fun to talk to.

Sorry to break into what is generally Princess Caroline admiration here, and I do admire and respect many things about her, but she always seems to have a dig at her late mother when she references her in interviews and has done so a number of times, albeit relatively subtly. This I do not like about her. It's something I've never picked up on from either her brother or sister.

I have sense these little subtle digs at her mother when reading the interview.

Sorry to break into what is generally Princess Caroline admiration here, and I do admire and respect many things about her, but she always seems to have a dig at her late mother when she references her in interviews and has done so a number of times, albeit relatively subtly. This I do not like about her. It's something I've never picked up on from either her brother or sister.

I totally agree , I find that about her too....

Only a daughter can judge her relationship to her mother accordingly to be very frank.

I'm glad other people are seeing it too. I agree their relationship was probably complicated but it stings a little. It brings back all these unfounded bad rumours about grace and their relations. I've said here maybe, but mentioned on Instagram for sure, how I feel prince Albert and his kids and then princess Stephanie's and her family seem to honour grace more. I was told I was just imagining it and princess Caroline is just private.

Princess Caroline has made it obvious for a while she doesn't seem to think fondly of her mother. Seems like there's fans of grace that come out every year that seem to care more about her. Carolines parenting has been a deliberate anti grace style parenting. A mother daughter relationship is unique to them. Trust me, I don't like or get along with my dad.

I was more heartened to hear charlotte mention grace . I saw carolines interview with Barbara walters in the 80s and she seemed much more sad and missing her mum when talking about the ballet school. I have no doubt princess Caroline loves her mother but it her remarks leave me feeling uncomfortable. Remember there was the closer to the nanny thing too.

We all know how flawed and damaging the Diana years were yet William and Harry remember the love and good rather than the bad. Seems like Caroline hasn't been able to do that. William has made it clear his kids will know granny Diana. I hate to say it but I've felt the casiraghi kids don't care. With all due respect, the main reason I feel people are still into them is because of their grandmother.

I mean only Albert seems to go philadephia. Does Caroline not associate with her American relatives anymore? They never go to the grace awards or events honoring her. I'd jump at the chance be special grateful that people still love my mother and grandmother! Charlotte looked down right annoyed in one interview when they played a clip of grace and baby Caroline.

I'll probably get berated hard for my comments but I've felt this was a while.

I hope its just the translation that makes it seem like this or the humour hasn't been translated in the comments.

i read the interview in french and one of the questions basically asked her about her american heritage and she said that her mother's parents families were both first generation, which is true. But she said that her maternal grandmother was born in germany and that her paternal grandfather was the only one of his family to be born in the states. I thought this wasn't true so I went looking on a number of ancestry websites for grace Kelly's family tree and they all say her mother was born in Philadelphia and that her father and all his siblings were born in the states as well. Does anyone know what the truth of this is?

Yeh, I thought the Kelly's were well known philadelphia almost nobility? Very well off Irish Americans. Wasn't Grace's father a Olympic champion? Never any mention seeing Charlotte, Pierre and Alexandre are into sports.

I understood that the senior Kellys were American born although Grace's mother grew up speaking German at home as her parents were recent immigrants. The Kellys were nothing like nobility - they were looked down on by the Main Liners - Grace's father made his money through hard physical graft.

Yes, I think Caroline sounds a bit ungracious but she knew the flesh and blood woman not the idealised version presented to the world. Given how broken she was at her mother's funeral and many things she's said and done in the past to honour her mother's memory I would guess that maybe she's just a bit fed up with always being asked about a woman who has been dead for nearly 40 years - and who she knows wasn't perfect.

When she gave the interview for the book about Albert I thought, and still think, the press took her words out of context. She didnt say she had a distant relationship with her parents, she said her upbringing was more traditional and done by nannies which certainly wasn't the image the world had.

So she doesn't feel American - so what? She doesn't deny the connection but she explains why it isn't central to her. I don't read it as a rejection of her mother but an assertion of her own view of herself. She has made her life in Europe. She still visits the US from time to time,mostly New York. She still sees her Kelly relatives when they visit Monaco and she has attended the Princess Grace Foundation awards - but that is now mostly the remit of Albert and Charlene.

Princess Stephanie has also not visited Philadelphia for years and doesn't attend the Princess Grace Foundation events. She has different memories, she had a slightly different upbringing being so much younger and was in the car with her mother.

Yes, Albert maintains strong links with family and the US. I think he enjoyed his college years and he can relax with his cousins who are friends.

I think Caroline's life experiences have made her very tough in some ways - I think she's trying to be honest but she seems to betray some ambivalence about her mother which I think is open to interpretation.

All of that aside, I thought they both said some interesting things and it was a nice idea to do the mother daughter interview. It was interesting that Charlotte does see some of Grace in Caroline.

As for the Casiraghi children not caring - maybe they don't? They were all born after Grace died - it's difficult when the person is not someone living. And I think they would be quite happy not to have anyone interested in them - I don't think they necessarily think of that as a plus.

But the truth is we have no idea how much "Granny Grace" was talked about because Caroline was very careful about protecting her children. However, from what Charlotte says in this interview neither was she a taboo subject. The impression I get is of a fairly open family who are close so my guess is she was/is talked about.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. Maybe I'm just projecting because I miss my grandparents and talk and honour them all the time. I'd give anything to have so much footage of them, like there is of Grace. Grace films, Marilyn films, golden age movies are my happy place. I'm such a fan that I'm expecting them to be like fans and not children and grandchildren? I think because Albert speaks so much and jasmine also.

Like you said Caroline has kept things meticulously private so we can never know. And charlotte did wear the necklace. Like I said maybe it's just my projection and wanting them to be like how rest of fans are. Full of love and adoration

Last edited:
It wouldn't be so bad if Caroline would just occasionally go on record with a warm, sentimental memory of her mother as both her siblings have done. By now, just about everyone accepts that the public Grace and the private Grace were sometimes sharply different.

But Caroline never has...or if she has I cannot remember it.:sad:

She has had a turbulent, somewhat painful personal life. It's as if, from the perspective of age, she is choosing to(subtly)assign blame for some of the choices that she made. I could be wrong. And i really hope I am.:ermm:

Last edited:
From what I've seen, she's spoken matter of factly about Grace. I.e she has her jeans, jewellery, etc. With Albert and old Stephanie interviews, you can sense the love, loss and yearning still. I wonder if Stefano had lived how different the kids would've been or her parenting. Seems like she deliberately went opposite of grace in order to prove a point but the casiraghis really could've used more strict parenting imo.

Thanks for your response. Maybe I'm just projecting because I miss my grandparents and talk and honour them all the time. I'd give anything to have so much footage of them, like there is of Grace. Grace films, Marilyn films, golden age movies are my happy place. I'm such a fan that I'm expecting them to be like fans and not children and grandchildren? I think because Albert speaks so much and jasmine also.

Like you said Caroline has kept things meticulously private so we can never know. And charlotte did wear the necklace. Like I said maybe it's just my projection and wanting them to be like how rest of fans are. Full of love and adoration

Did you know your grandparents??

I get if you knew your grandparents missing them and wanting a connection. But Grace died before she was a grandmother. None of the kids ever had a personal connection with her. You can hear as many stories as you want about your grandparents, but you will never have remotely the same connection with them if you never met them.

My maternal grandmother died when my mother was a child. I have heard stories and seen photos. But I have no connection to the woman at all. My 'grandma' is my mother's stepmother. My grandfather remarried after my mother had already married, but his second wife was in the picture when I was born. That will always be the grandmother I have a bond with.

We have no idea what Caroline has told her kids about her mother. I am sure they have heard plenty of stories about the woman. From their mom and other family like their Uncle as well. But to them she is simply pictures and videos, she isnt a living breathing person they have had any connection to.

William may tell his kids about Diana a lot, but it will be the same for them. The only grandparents they will ever have a real connection to are Michael, Carole, Charles and even Camilla. Diana will be 'the woman daddy tells us stories about before bed'. It says nothing about him not talking about her to his kids, its just the reality of her dying long before they were born. Same goes for Caroline and her children.

I think people tend to put women like Grace and Diana on a pedestal. The longer they are dead the more saintly they become to some people. People lokk at the photos and videos 'oh would be so amazing to be their family'. But we only see their public persona. We have no idea what these women were like behind closed doors.

William saw his mother's flaws, but he got the 'fun loving mom' behind closed doors. For Caroline it seems the flawed side also impeded on the private side of their mother. Perhaps if Grace had lived, and had been alive to see Caroline become a mom and such, their relationship would have evolved and got better. Unfortunately we will never know.

As for her kids being athletes, they probably have heard the 'well you know you are the great-grandchildren of an olympian' story. But again those are stories we are not around to hear. But again there is the question how much of a link did Caroline have to her own grandfather, to speak of him to her kids other then 'well this is your family history?" She did spend time with her grandparents but she was only three when John died. Her Uncle who was also an Olympian may have had more of a personal impact on her.

Is it really shocking to hear royals say their nannies were closer? Even William and Harry are close to their previous nannies. As loving as royals are, their kids do spend a lot of time with their nannies. It has got better in the recent generation, though they still have full time nannies. But a generation ago the kids would have spent little day to day time with their parents.

I agree that both the 'pedestal' and 'having prematurely died' most likely impact their view and (non) relationship. I don't think it is healthy when a mother or grandmother is idolized. So, that's probably indeed what Caroline isn't too happy about: imagine the whole world thinking your mother was the best thing ever while your own experiences are much more nuanced.

And as to the grandchildren: they will know about her but hopefully will also get an honest idea of who their grandmother really was and not just the media-version.

Like Countessmeout, my paternal grandparents died (long) before I was born, so while I am named after my grandmother and apparently are somewhat alike in character I mainly think of them as 'my father's parents' (and don't have strong feelings about them other than feeling sorry for my father that he lost his parents at a young age) - while I think of my mother's parents as grandmother (oma) and grandfather (opa); even though they also died when I was young but they had been part of my life for a short time as we would visit them once in awhile (with my main memory being of them sitting in a chair or lying in a bed; so not much too build extensive memories of either). So, I hardly talk about them and don't really know how to 'honor' them (other than mentioning them to my parents on some special dates such as when it had been 50 or 60 years that my father's father passed away); honoring my husband's two grandmothers that are still alive by visiting whenever we are back in the Netherlands seems much more important.

It wouldn't be so bad if Caroline would just occasionally go on record with a warm, sentimental memory of her mother as both her siblings have done. By now, just about everyone accepts that the public Grace and the private Grace were sometimes sharply different.

She has had a turbulent, somewhat painful personal life. It's as if, from the perspective of age, she is choosing to(subtly)assign blame for some of the choices that she made. I could be wrong. And i really hope I am.:ermm:

Isnt it her business? She can surely keep her intimate memories of her mother private whether good or bad

She's not obliged to do so? Grace has been dead for a long time now and Caroline has lived a whole life independent of her mother. She has her experiences, which can be both bad or good or mixed. It's not her responsibility to make outsiders feel warm and fuzzy about the childhood she actually lived.

As for the way Charlotte might view her grandmother.. I only had one grandmother and she died by the time I was 13, but I have very warm memories of her, but neither do I grieve her anymore at 26. My other grandparents who died before I was born? I struggle to call them my grandparents, or ''opa'' and ''oma'' because they might be the parents of my parents, but I personally have no other connection to them. And that isn't wrong. That is simply how life went. Just because your grandmother was a movie star and incredibly famous, that doesn't make it any more tangible to the grandchildren.

She has spoken fondly of Grace in the past - it is a long time ago but she once said that people never knew what a great sense of humour her mother had. I also think she has honoured her mother through her work with AMADE and by fulfilling her dream of setting up the ballet company.

Maybe she is sick of people trying to compare her to her mother?

She has spoken fondly of Grace in the past - it is a long time ago but she once said that people never knew what a great sense of humour her mother had. I also think she has honoured her mother through her work with AMADE and by fulfilling her dream of setting up the ballet company.

Indeed Florestane!!! You can find on Youtube an interview she gave to Barbara Walters in 1985 where she gives a new perspective of P. Grace as being an oustandig, modern and good humored person. And more than words, her accomplishments in the arts and in her social work are much more affective than any statement she could make about her mother... :articles:

Caroline is one my favorite princesses esp her younger years she was so elegant and french!

How great was Caroline's role as "First Lady of Monaco"?

After her mother's untimely death, she became I assume the face and the most powerful person in Monaco since her father was understandably still distraught over Grace's death. My question is how was she has First Lady of Monaco? I'm currently very interested in all of Monaco so I don't know much!

After her mother's untimely death, she became I assume the face and the most powerful person in Monaco since her father was understandably still distraught over Grace's death. My question is how was she has First Lady of Monaco? I'm currently very interested in all of Monaco so I don't know much!

her father was the ruler of Monaco and as it was an absolute monarchy HE was the most powerful person.....

her father was the ruler of Monaco and as it was an absolute monarchy HE was the most powerful person.....

Okay i'm corrected now can you answer the question if you have the answers thank you!

Back
Top Bottom