Princess Caroline‘s Role in Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, i also think that Albert will give her away. But we will see when time comes!
I was wondering, - i am not really good when it comes to the french school system -
Char didn't pass the exams (ENS) in order to go to the University or?

No she was already at University, but if I know well the ENS is a level superior to a normal University, it makes part of a group of some very selected Universities, called "Les Grandes Ecoles", special schools for diplomats, high level staff of multinationals, etc etc
Sorry to our French friends if I'm wrong

I don't think she ever went to Sorbonne. I think we were wrong and most sites were wrong to say it. I believe now she left school after Fenelon and went into her internships and that's all.

I think the person who would/will "give" her away at her wedding is Albert!
It would/will be very adorable. I like their relationship. It is too cute for words.

Regards Charlotte, I always assumed she was an outstanding student (like her mother before her), and that she graduated from high school and university (same as Princess Caroline did). Is this correct?

As far as her future wedding and who will give her away, lol, I will chime in too. :) I believe it will be her uncle, Marco Casiraghi, or Prince Albert, but moreso Marco because that it her late father's brother, and she seems close to him, even preferring to speak Italian moreso than the other two languages that she is fluent in (aka French & English). Just my humble opinion, of course. :)

Regards Charlotte, I always assumed she was an outstanding student (like her mother before her), and that she graduated from high school and university (same as Princess Caroline did). Is this correct?

As far as her future wedding and who will give her away, lol, I will chime in too. :) I believe it will be her uncle, Marco Casiraghi, or Prince Albert, but moreso Marco because that it her late father's brother, and she seems close to him, even preferring to speak Italian moreso than the other two languages that she is fluent in (aka French & English). Just my humble opinion, of course. :)

[FONT=&quot]Marco! Good choice! Isn't he her godfather anyway? It makes logical sense for him to do it if that’s the case.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Like I said before, according to Wikipedia, she took the BAC in July 2004, with excellent marks at Lycée François Couperin. After passing her bac, she enrolled in the hypokhâgne and khâgne course at the Lycée Fénelon, in St-Germain-des-Près, Paris, in the hope of entering the École normale supérieure (Paris). She took the written entrance exam for ENS in June 2006, and made the list of candidates eligible to proceed to the oral exam.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In 2007, Casiraghi gained a License of Philosophy (B.A.) from the University of Paris IV: Paris-Sorbonne.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, I’m having trouble believing that her Wikipedia page is accurate…when did Caro move her Casiraghi trio to St. Remey? According to Wikipedia, she attended nursery school in St. Remey, and I thought they moved there after Stefano’s death when she was 4.[/FONT]

Nadine, Charlotte was a very good student. Of course she finished the "high school". That is, she passed her Bac exam with the highest result. She did two of the three years required to have a 'license" because these two years were done with preparatory course for the ENS exam. But after this two years, I believe she did not go onto other studies, because she did other things, i.e. her internships and Ever Manifesto and equestrianism. Wikipedia and other sources will say that she went to Sorbonne and got "license" of philosophy. I don't believe it. There is no proof or evidence of it besides heresy.

I think you make a great point about Uncle Marco!

Nadine, Charlotte was a very good student. Of course she finished the "high school". That is, she passed her Bac exam with the highest result. She did two of the three years required to have a 'license" because these two years were done with preparatory course for the ENS exam. But after this two years, I believe she did not go onto other studies, because she did other things, i.e. her internships and Ever Manifesto and equestrianism. Wikipedia and other sources will say that she went to Sorbonne and got "license" of philosophy. I don't believe it. There is no proof or evidence of it besides heresy.

I think you make a great point about Uncle Marco!

Glad I'm not the only one doubting her education according to wikipedia...

So, she doesn´t have a University degree? What are those two years she did after high school? is it university level? Sorry if this is repetitive. The French system is not clear at all.

The two years the Charlotte studied after high school were studying for her École Normale Supérieure (ENS) exams. The ENS system is the highest of the grandes écoles, which is a different set of universities to the public ones. Public, mainstream universities are required to accept all candidates in the region who apply that hold a baccalauréat (le bac, as it's called in France), grandes écoles acceptance is based on the passing of written and oral exams. And the passing criteria is really strict. So yeah, it's more "elite" than a normal French university. You have to be really smart to get into ENS.

[FONT=&quot]when did Caro move her Casiraghi trio to St. Remey? According to Wikipedia, she attended nursery school in St. Remey, and I thought they moved there after Stefano’s death when she was 4.[/FONT]

Exact! They moved to St.Remy after Stefano's death, it means Charlotte was 4. And it is correct for nursery school, it is normal to go at 4.
Primary School starts at about 6, and before is the "jardin d'enfants" , half nursery half preliminary school. You can also go before the age of 4, (especially for children with both working parents) but this was not the case of Charlotte.

I tried to carefully read about the preparatory course to ENS (Hypokhagne + khagne) and nothing indicates that if you fail you are automatically in the middle of Sorbonne studies. It means that when you fail, you can go to the Sorbonne, but from the beginning. So Charlotte failed at 2006, she might have started from Sornonne 1st year at October 2006. It is not impossible, and she could be graduated now after 4 years, but I'm not so sure that she has been a student in the last 4 years. At least the 2 last y she lives in London and she is travelling around!! How could she graduate in Sorbonne???

And a funny thing. Charlotte prepared her exams hypokhagne + khagne at Lycee Fenelon. I read to Wiki that Caroline also!!!

I tried to carefully read about the preparatory course to ENS (Hypokhagne + khagne) and nothing indicates that if you fail you are automatically in the middle of Sorbonne studies. It means that when you fail, you can go to the Sorbonne, but from the beginning. So Charlotte failed at 2006, she might have started from Sornonne 1st year at October 2006. It is not impossible, and she could be graduated now after 4 years, but I'm not so sure that she has been a student in the last 4 years. At least the 2 last y she lives in London and she is travelling around!! How could she graduate in Sorbonne???

And a funny thing. Charlotte prepared her exams hypokhagne + khagne at Lycee Fenelon. I read to Wiki that Caroline also!!!

I went to university in France and in the third year there were quite some students who had been added to our course. they had all been at a "classe préparatoire" before, so after 2 years over there and after having failed getting into ENS, they started in the 3rd year at university ;)

Yeah, you're right except the classes preparatoires are equivalent to the first two years of university in France, i.e. the first of three years toward a License.
So she could have gone to do her third year and get a License.

It's just my opinion, or rather my feeling, but I earnestly don't believe she did that. She did too many other things between the last half of 2006 and now. 2006/2008 were very idle years for her, besides her internships. Then in 2009 she seemed to reenergize and take up the Ever Manifesto and the equestrian again. So I just don't think she has been in school at all after Fenelon.

I wish I was wrong. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong here! :) I want Charlotte to be a scholar. It's just that, Charlotte doesn't seem to want Charlotte to be a scholar! haha

I went to university in France and in the third year there were quite some students who had been added to our course. they had all been at a "classe préparatoire" before, so after 2 years over there and after having failed getting into ENS, they started in the 3rd year at university ;)

Ahh!!! This was exactly the point I was looking for! So. if the 2 years she spent in preps were recognized to continue for the license, I strong believe that she did it. It is different when you have just one year to finish, than to start from the point zero again. She was an excellent student, she could not give up to all just for one year more

Fandesacs2003, thanks for your posts.:lol: I can figure out some things about the french school system and Char's uni life.

Ahh!!! This was exactly the point I was looking for! So. if the 2 years she spent in preps were recognized to continue for the license, I strong believe that she did it. It is different when you have just one year to finish, than to start from the point zero again. She was an excellent student, she could not give up to all just for one year more

I agree with you now. I thought this too for a long time then began to doubt, and now I'm "eye-to-eye" with this view again: Fenelon 2 years, Paris-Sorbonne IV probably 2006/2007 term = License. Because remember after, rather at the end of 2007 the announcement came out for the Independent internship, and she helped write that article in October 2007.

So when did she do the Pierre Laffont/Paris internship? During her Sorbonne studies, before the London internship?

Another random question, this time Alexandra, rather than the trio: (Mods: feel free to move this, if necessary)

Princess Alexandra is in line for two thrones-c. 407th for the British one from her father's side, and 5th for Monaco. We know the likelyhood of her ever getting either throne is slim to none-but what citizenship/passport does she hold? British? German? Moneguse? Perhaps all three? Or maybe Austrian, since she was born in Austria...
Also, given the fact here is according to Monaco's constitution, she'd need to hold Monaco citizenship at the time in order to succeed the throne if her uncle, mother, brothers and sister were to die or abdicate their places without a legitimate heir amongst them, and she were to become HRH Princess Alexandra of Monaco...

And with the British throne, the only thing she can't do in order to keep her c. 407th spot is become Catholic, which I don't know how long THAT's going to last...given the facts she's currently living in a Roman Catholic dominated country, with her Roman Catholic mother (and occasionally her siblings, when they are in town), and attending a private Roman Catholic school.

Bottom line:
What is Princess Alexandra's citizenship? British? Monegasque? German? Austrian? All 4? One or two of the 4? Anyone know?

I believe I know the answer. I might be wrong, but I feel pretty sure about it.

Alexandra has dual citizenship. First, as child of a Monegasque, she is automatically entitled to Monegasque citizenship.

But...... she is also entitled to the citizenship of her father.

I don't know what that is....... :p I know she was born in Austria, but most likely she takes the citizenship of her parents. That is pretty basic for international law. Where you are born makes a difference, but let's say you have two USA citizens visit Paris, and the mama gives birth; her kid is not a French citizen just because she is born there. The parents are US citizens on a passport in France; therefore, the child is put down as a US citizen.

Jazmin Grace Grimaldi was born in the US to a US citizen mother. She is US citizen, but is eligible to be a Monegasque citizen too because of her dad. I know this is in the Monegasque law. All it takes is one parent to be Monegasque.

I hope that this helps. I'm sorry I don't know what is the citizenship of Ernst. I am curious to know however. I'm sure there will be lots of input on this topic. Good question!

I believe I know the answer. I might be wrong, but I feel pretty sure about it.

Alexandra has dual citizenship. First, as child of a Monegasque, she is automatically entitled to Monegasque citizenship.

But...... she is also entitled to the citizenship of her father.

I don't know what that is....... :p I know she was born in Austria, but most likely she takes the citizenship of her parents. That is pretty basic for international law. Where you are born makes a difference, but let's say you have two USA citizens visit Paris, and the mama gives birth; her kid is not a French citizen just because she is born there. The parents are US citizens on a passport in France; therefore, the child is put down as a US citizen.

Jazmin Grace Grimaldi was born in the US to a US citizen mother. She is US citizen, but is eligible to be a Monegasque citizen too because of her dad. I know this is in the Monegasque law. All it takes is one parent to be Monegasque.

I hope that this helps. I'm sorry I don't know what is the citizenship of Ernst. I am curious to know however. I'm sure there will be lots of input on this topic. Good question!

Thanks for the quick answer, CasiraghiTrio!

That's what I was leaning on, but there is always the whole Monaco law that having a multiple citizenship is illegal in Monaco...perhaps Princess Alexandra is an exception since she is entitled to both of her parents citizenship and is part of the Princely family? Like Grace and her kids were exceptions when they were growing up...
The only difference is with the US, if a child is born here, they automatically are illegible for citizenship no matter what the nationality of the parents-thus why we have such immigration issues with Mexicans coming over the boarder to deliver a baby then either leaving it here or bringing it back as a US Citizen or coming over as illegal aliens. Thus why there has been talk of changing that rule recently in the news....
I know when a friend of mine's husband was stationed in S. Korea and she had a baby while there, the child (born to two US Citizens in the army, on the army base) is entitled to both citizenship, and they are considering getting her the S. Korean one, in spite of neither parent being South Korean or them residing there any more.

EDIT:
Just looked it up, and found this on Ernest: apparently, his nationality is German....which means he probably carries a german passport, and so Alexandra would be entitled to it as well.

Alex's papa has dual citizenship himself actually. German and British. ;) Applicable via the Sophia Naturalisation Act 1705 and thanks to Ernst's father Ernest.
I don't know about Alex. I was mulling over this question recently actually. I came to the conclusion that she at least has Monégasque citizenship, which doesn't impede her right to either throne.
None of the Princely family needs citizenship or residency to reside in the countries they currently do (temporarily at least) because we have this lovely law in the EU where citizens of member states (Monaco isn't technically a member but it is treated as part of the borders of France, so it qualifies - Monaco is part of the VAT and customs areas of the EU and is part of Schengen) can travel to other member states and live/work there without a permit. Therefore, Caroline and Alex - technically French citizens under EU law - could live in France. As could Ernst.
So to surmise, I think Alex probably has just the one passport - a Monégasque one. :flowers:
As for the Catholicism thing, it's perfectly fine for Alex to live in a Catholic country, with a Catholic family, going to a Catholic school and attending Catholic masses (Easter ;)) as long as she doesn't take communion in the Catholic church or "profess the Catholic faith". Besides, having been officially baptised in the Protestant Church she would, under the laws of the Holy See, have to convert. Children can convert (with permission and support of parents and a priest) but they would have to learn about the sacrament to partake in it. That requires sacramental and RCI courses and time. It's all just a bit too much hassle, to be honest, unless Alex really wanted to become a Catholic. There's nothing stopping her from privately falling in line with the Catholic teachings yet still remaining Protestant. She'll just be a more conservative one. ;) :lol: (no insult meant to other Catholics of course, being one myself. Nor Protestants :flowers:)

Alex's papa has dual citizenship himself actually. German and British. ;) Applicable via the Sophia Naturalisation Act 1705 and thanks to Ernst's father Ernest.
I don't know about Alex. I was mulling over this question recently actually. I came to the conclusion that she at least has Monégasque citizenship, which doesn't impede her right to either throne.
None of the Princely family needs citizenship or residency to reside in the countries they currently do (temporarily at least) because we have this lovely law in the EU where citizens of member states (Monaco isn't technically a member but it is treated as part of the borders of France, so it qualifies - Monaco is part of the VAT and customs areas of the EU and is part of Schengen) can travel to other member states and live/work there without a permit. Therefore, Caroline and Alex - technically French citizens under EU law - could live in France. As could Ernst.
So to surmise, I think Alex probably has just the one passport - a Monégasque one. :flowers:
As for the Catholicism thing, it's perfectly fine for Alex to live in a Catholic country, with a Catholic family, going to a Catholic school and attending Catholic masses (Easter ;)) as long as she doesn't take communion in the Catholic church or "profess the Catholic faith". Besides, having been officially baptised in the Protestant Church she would, under the laws of the Holy See, have to convert. Children can convert (with permission and support of parents and a priest) but they would have to learn about the sacrament to partake in it. That requires sacramental and RCI courses and time. It's all just a bit too much hassle, to be honest, unless Alex really wanted to become a Catholic. There's nothing stopping her from privately falling in line with the Catholic teachings yet still remaining Protestant. She'll just be a more conservative one. ;) :lol: (no insult meant to other Catholics of course, being one myself. Nor Protestants :flowers:)
Thanks for the quick response! Yeah, you're probably right-she probably only has a Monégasque passport, due to the laws of the EU (even if Monaco isn't technically a member). And that's probably how Charlotte resides (at least part time) in both London and Paris and how Pierre resides in Milan most of the time without having to deal with visas and the like all the time and assumingly they both have Monégasque citizenship/passports as well...right?
And thanks for the input on the Catholicism thing as well-you're right, it's perfectly fine for her to fall in line with the teachings of Catholicism, having all of the Catholic influences around her, yet remain a batized Protestant.

Well, now that we are discussing citizenships: I know the Casiraghi Trio are obviously monegasques but, do they have dual citizenship due to his italian father? (sorry if the question is silly, i'm just curious :p)

Well, now that we are discussing citizenships: I know the Casiraghi Trio are obviously monegasques but, do they have dual citizenship due to his italian father? (sorry if the question is silly, i'm just curious :p)

Good question...no idea. They were "raised as Casiraghi's"-speaking Italian at home, visiting their Casiraghi family often, etc...so I'd assume so....
anyone else know this one?

Yeah, I agree with you! I think Alex is for sure Monegasque citizen, but Trep brought up the excellent point of the Electress Sophia thing -- as a descendent, she is automatically British citizen too, just like her papa. I forgot about it, but it is perfectly true. So her papa has a German citizenship too, I wonder about this, if Alex has it, but like Thecia says, it doesn't matter because of the EU member states. And Alexandra won't inherit any of the Hannover family properties (they must all go to Junior) so that wouldn't be an issue. As a Monegasque citizen, Alexandra is automatically French citizen too, isn't she? I think all Monegasque citizens are French citizens, but unfortunately it doesn't work vice versa, which seems kind of unfair for the French. :D

Interesting stuff! And the Catholic thing too...... Does someone know if Alex did a First Communion? If so, it probably was at age seven, in 2006.

Thtregoddess, about your friend born in S.Korea. Most US military babies born abroad are born on the base, so it's considered US territory! Therefore, there's no issue about citizenship. US parents, US territory abroad. :cool:

Ah one more thing, I think the Casiraghis have Italian citizenship too? I didn't know about the Monaco law about not being allowed multiple citizenship. I don't know. It's very confusing! :(

Last edited:
In the US, I think you can have dual citizenship until you reach age 18, then you have to pick a country. eg. PC, PA and PS were all dual citizens as children. PG kept her US citizenship until right before she died. I also believe military brats born overseas have dual citizenship at birth; even if born on a military base. That was the case with my cousin who was born on a US military base in Europe. I'm guessing other countries have similar laws.

In the US, I think you can have dual citizenship until you reach age 18, then you have to pick a country. eg. PC, PA and PS were all dual citizens as children. PG kept her US citizenship until right before she died. I also believe military brats born overseas have dual citizenship at birth; even if born on a military base. That was the case with my cousin who was born on a US military base in Europe. I'm guessing other countries have similar laws.

I think you're right about military brats born overseas, FanofMonaco...at least from the knowledge my friend (who gave birth in S. Korea) has told me.

Yeah, I agree with you! I think Alex is for sure Monegasque citizen, but Trep brought up the excellent point of the Electress Sophia thing -- as a descendent, she is automatically British citizen too, just like her papa. I forgot about it, but it is perfectly true. So her papa has a German citizenship too, I wonder about this, if Alex has it, but like Thecia says, it doesn't matter because of the EU member states. And Alexandra won't inherit any of the Hannover family properties (they must all go to Junior) so that wouldn't be an issue. As a Monegasque citizen, Alexandra is automatically French citizen too, isn't she? I think all Monegasque citizens are French citizens, but unfortunately it doesn't work vice versa, which seems kind of unfair for the French. :D

Interesting stuff! And the Catholic thing too...... Does someone know if Alex did a First Communion? If so, it probably was at age seven, in 2006.

Thtregoddess, about your friend born in S.Korea. Most US military babies born abroad are born on the base, so it's considered US territory! Therefore, there's no issue about citizenship. US parents, US territory abroad. :cool:

Ah one more thing, I think the Casiraghis have Italian citizenship too? I didn't know about the Monaco law about not being allowed multiple citizenship. I don't know. It's very confusing! :(

)

The Sophia Naturalization Act was repealed/amended by the British Parliament and now I believe now only applies to those born before 1948 so Alexandra does not have automatic British citizenship. Not sure if her father obtained British citizenship through his father who fought the court battle in the 50's or not but suspect he may only hold German citizenship.

He at least has residency. He's lived there on and off since he was fifteen (long before European Union immigration laws came into effect). He also has the right to claim British citizenship through descent.

Back
Top Bottom