The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Princess Caroline and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
In Spanish speaking countries the married women join their maiden's surname with that of their husbands:
You are talking about southamerican countries. in Spain women NEVER take their husbands names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals
Trepstep, no need to get your knickers in a twist. Explain this to me: so in your country, originally, there is a name that is uniquely from the female line, never having been contaminated with a male surname?
"Contaminated"? Nobody is talking about contamination! I don't care about 12th century ancestors! We are not talking about history and the origin of names, we are talking about nowadays.

I care about present day social issues and the social use of having a woman abandon her own name (male or female ancenstry, it's her ancestry) to take that of her husband, as if she had become part of him, is sexist and humilating.

Tatiana has no italian blood in her, no relation to Italy whatsoever. Why should she wear an italian surname?

Take another example from someone from the Casiraghi entourage. Edwina Alexander got married and she suddently became Edwina Alexander-Tops!! I don't see Jan Tops introducing himself as Jan Tops-Alexander, do you?
No law or social use should make a woman take her husbands name, since no law makes a man take his wife's name.

And if you are a woman and you have kids you should have the legal right to pass your own name to them. It's as simple as that.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepstrep View Post
You are talking about southamerican countries. in Spain women NEVER take their husbands names.

(...) to take that of her husband, as if she had become part of him, is sexist and humilating.

Tatiana has no italian blood in her, no relation to Italy whatsoever. Why should she wear an italian surname?
Tatiana is Colombian, she will probably be called Tatiana Santo Domingo de Casiraghi.

And receiving husband's surname is not sexist, not humiliating, but but nice imo; If you really love this man (and he you) you feel that you really belong to him (spiritually) by taking his surname; it's now he, and not your father (whom surname you had previously) the most important man of your life.
The leading of the bride to the altar by her father is a very nice tradition imo; I pity that we in Poland don't have it.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Courtier

I think the thinking if a woman take her husband's name than she becoming a different person is ridiculous imo. And there is no law saying that Tatiana must take her Andrea name if her name is Casiraghi after she get marry that because she choose to and the important concept here is that was or is her choice whether to take Andrea last name.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I don't think any European country actually has laws compelling wives to take heir husbands' surname. Even in Armenia (a very conservative country), a woman has a choice of keeping her surname or taking her husband's. My mother never changed her last name and I actually have a dual surname (a choice I was offered by authorities when applying for my passport).

If Tatiana chooses to become Casiraghi or Santo Domingo de Casiraghi - it's her right, isn't it? And if she prefers to remain Santo Domingo, I strongly doubt she'd be forced to take Andrea's surname.

I always believed true feminism is about allowing women to make their own choices - not telling them what's the "best" or "right" thing to do.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Nobility

Looking forward to see the engagement ring..if it's going to be à heirlom belonging to Princess Charlotte,Grace or Caroline.I suddenly miss Stefano Casiraghi.He will never see his eldest wed.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

If Tatiana chooses to become Casiraghi or Santo Domingo de Casiraghi - it's her right, isn't it? And if she prefers to remain Santo Domingo, I strongly doubt she'd be forced to take Andrea's surname.

I always believed true feminism is about allowing women to make their own choices - not telling them what's the "best" or "right" thing to do.
Completely agree, Artemisia!

And "Tatiana Casiraghi" sounds really nice. But of course if she prefers to stay "Santo Domingo" and Andrea has nothing against it, ok.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I totally agree. Why everone is getting so riled up is beyond me. I grew up in a society where the wife took the husband's name and I had no problem with that at all.

If women want to be so "independent" why do they run out every year and buy new wardrobes so they can look like everyone else because that's what the fashion industry says they should wear? Now THAT never made any sense to me.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Time to move on! We'll find out about Tatiana's choice of name as soon as the couple has married,
the discussion isn't getting us anywhere until then.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Tatiana is Colombian, she will probably be called Tatiana Santo Domingo de Casiraghi.
Tatiana was born in Geneva. If I´m not wrong she never lived in Colombia or Brazil. She only went there for vacacions, so we can say she belongs o a very different culture, one that has not much to do with any S. American country.

Tatiana Santo Domingo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Another royal wedding! Prince of Monaco Andrea Casiraghi announces engagement to socialite Tatiana Santo Doming
Quote:
Princess Caroline of Monaco has announced the engagement of her eldest son and second in line to the throne of the principality, Andrea Casiraghi, to the Swiss born heiress and socialite Tatiana Santo Domingo. Tatiana is the daughter of the late Julio Santo Domingo, named by Forbes in 2011 as the second richest man in Colombia, and Vera Rechulski , a former Brazilian socialite from Sao Paolo currently living in Paris. In a statement today, Princess Caroline declared that she ‘had the joy’ to announce the engagement of Andrea and Tatiana, who are both 28.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
Looking forward to see the engagement ring..if it's going to be à heirlom belonging to Princess Charlotte,Grace or Caroline.I suddenly miss Stefano Casiraghi.He will never see his eldest wed.
That is an interesting thought about a family ring but I think that the engaged couple are independent and will pick their own ring. Stephano is watching from heaven of course!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
Stephano is watching from heaven of course!
Maybe they will call their first son Stefano, in his grandpa's honour?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Courtier

Congrats to the couple! Wheather she uses her maiden name or married name, I hope they will be happy!
Old 07-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
That is an interesting thought about a family ring but I think that the engaged couple are independent and will pick their own ring. Stephano is watching from heaven of course!
I can still remember the day that he died..it was huge in Spain.I feel so sorry for the kids.I watched the trio grew up from afar.Time flies! I wish him and Tatiana all the best.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Commoner

I hope this fabulously rich and attractive couple will live very happy lives together. With all of their advantages they should make the most of it.

I hope Tatiana becomes Tatiana Santo Domingo-Casiraghi. What a knock-out name. What's not to love and admire about this.

I wish them both a happy, sincere, honest and love-filled marriage. Can't wait for the engagement ring, wedding gown, nuptials, following celebrations, etc. Lots of fun to read about.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt

I can still remember the day that he died..it was huge in Spain.I feel so sorry for the kids.I watched the trio grew up from afar.Time flies! I wish him and Tatiana all the best.
I remember the accident as well. Caroline was actually the age I am now. Can't imagine what it took for her to raise the kids in the face of such grief. She must be thinking of Stefano alot now that Andreas engaged to be married. Bittersweet, for sure.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Gentry

I was thinking what a fabulous family Grace and Ranieri created........and now life goes on with their grandchildren being adults, getting married..I don't want to sound too sentimental but it really gives me the idea of time going by. Kudos to Grace and Ranieri and the fabulous family they brought up, three siblings who are now giving way to the new generations.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Having so many surnames comes across as haughty. I was glad to stop using my double-barrelled name.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

What wonderful news, Andrea and Tatiana sure are sweet together.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Nobility

Fantastic news! Congratulations to the happy couple. I'll be looking forward to the wedding.