The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Princess Caroline and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 AM
Aristocracy

I think Caroline is too intelligent to put herself in * yet again* another relationship.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:31 AM
Nobility

Cant we just let Princess Caroline be for the moment...she has PA's wedding to CW to deal with in the next few months I say just lets enjoy the build up to the wedding and see what happens...if there is anything going on she will share in her own time.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Aristocracy

I don't see Caroline divorcing anytime soon. After Pr. Albert's wedding Charlene as his spouse will be "Princess of Monaco". But Caroline with her HRH status will be the most senior lady in the land. Believe it or not these people DO care about this sort of thing. (Diana was very troubled by losing HRH status.) Perhaps Caroline and EA have an understanding or agreement to stay married but lead separate lives. he has his freedom, away from the spotlight, which BTW always irked him, she can keep HRH status. Nice compensation for putting up with years of his brutish behavior. (and for sticking up for him in court.)
As far as having a new gentleman friend, I agree I don't think she would have a "public"
relationship, ie taking him on family vacations etc., the way she did with EA before they were married. But I hope she does find happiness, who wants to be alone? And I think she deserves it!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Well said, Vanya ..... the HRH handle is too useful to relinquish.

Mind you, I'm torn between "Son Altesse Royale" and "Son Altesse Sérénissime" - they both sound delicious !

Let's hope they have a civilised "almost-divorce" .... is there such a thing ?? :-)
Old 04-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya Trubetskoy
But Caroline with her HRH status will be the most senior lady in the land.
No she won't- an ruling sovereign (which PA is) is higher then a non ruling princess whether HRH or HSH so Charlene will be the most senior lady royally-

HSH Prince Albert is equal to HRH Queen Elizabeth in royal rank, the HSH and HRH make no difference, they are both ruling sovereigns
Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Courtier

If Caroline doesn't divorce just because she wants to keep her title, it sounds a bit ridiculous... Maybe I can't understand it because I'm not a royal, but according to me, "Altesse Royale" or "Altesse Sérénissime" are not very different. They are just titles, that's not representative of who she really is. If she divorces she'll keep her children's love, her comfortable life, her wealth... I really don't understand where the problem is. But maybe there is no problem!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Its also worth pointing out that there is no concrete evidence to suggest that Caroline's primary motive in not divorcing Ernst has to deal with her title.

We keep hearing this but no one has provided any supporting documentaton to support a statement.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Serene Highness

It may have more to do with her religion than her politics. She already used up her get out of jaii card with Phillipe Junot and may not want to go through that again. She is used as an example. It took 10 years to get an annulment from Junot. There is also the problem of the Pope visiting Monaco next year. Maybe she wants to wait until after that visit.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder if, under these circumnstances P. Ernst will be invited to his ( still ) brother in law's wedding...
Old 04-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I very much doubt it. And if he is, i don't think he will show up.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Aristocracy

From religious point of view, Ernest and Caroline are not and never been married to each other. More, if she splits up with Ernest, she'll be again on the Church's "path". If I am wrong, correct me, please.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisaa
From religious point of view, Ernest and Caroline are not and never been married to each other. More, if she splits up with Ernest, she'll be again on the Church's "path". If I am wrong, correct me, please.
Why from a religious pov? She technically got an annulment from first husband, yes?, and second is deceased so is she able to marry in eyes if the church?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Catholics frown on the divorce. She got an annulment from her first husband after like MANY MANY years. It didn't happen right away. I can actually see her not divorcing Ernst because of her religion. I know...the irony isn't lost on me either.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps it's also a question of perception.
At present, Caroline has responsibilities towards her brother, but after the wedding, she may have fewer commitments.
She will have more time for herself, and more time to work out what to do with her relationships. These include not just EA, but also his sons.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Why from a religious pov? She technically got an annulment from first husband, yes?, and second is deceased so is she able to marry in eyes if the church?

Yes she got an annullment; but Ernst-August von Hannover is a lutheran AND divorced and their daughter Alexandra is raised as an lutheran too
Old 04-24-2011, 06:53 AM
Nobility

My question as a catholic myself is Princess Caroline acknowledged by the catholic church as being married to Ernst in the catholic church and if so is her daughter Princess Alexandra accepted by the catholic church as a child of the marriage
Old 04-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
Caroline wed EA in a civil ceremony, so, in the eyes of the RC Church they're concubines, like she and Stefano were, since they'd marrried before a registrar.
EA is a lutheran, but he married Chantal in a religious marriage, and all those christian people who have received baptism, are regarded as Catholic by the RC Church, although they belong to other different denominatons. So EA should have got an anulment from Chantal in order to marry Caroline in the church.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Aristocracy

I'm wondering too if Caroline is not agreeing to a divorce because, perhaps, a prenup dictates that their daughter goes to the father should they divorce.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtatum View Post
I'm wondering too if Caroline is not agreeing to a divorce because, perhaps, a prenup dictates that their daughter goes to the father should they divorce.
Do we know if they have a pre-nup? I think Caroline is a shrewd lady, and I can't imagine her signing anything that would separate her from any of her children.
Ernst has HRH, but Caroline has the $$$ and quite alot of it!
So, in a sense I could see a pre-nup to protect Caroline's assets, but not one that would take Alexandra.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know what to think.
I've read that many people believe that she is not divorcing him because she wants to keep the HRH style. I'm not that sure of that.
Maybe there's a clause in the pre-nup or any other document that says he should stay with Alexandra. IDK.