The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Princess Caroline and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou View Post
First of all, Caroline was ordered to appear by the court. She had no choice. She was going to have to testify as a witness to what happened. Keep in mind that Ernst is the father of one of her children. What Mother wants the father of their child in jail. She had to tell the truth about what she saw. She could however choose her words carefully which is what she did.
Which is what I meant. I didn't mean not show up at court, I meant that she could have left him to fend for himself with the testimony she could have given.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecia View Post
Which is what I meant. I didn't mean not show up at court, I meant that she could have left him to fend for himself with the testimony she could have given.
I see what you mean. Yes she could have done that as well but I think she was thinking of her daughter when she chose her words. He has never in his life really paid for his actions in the sense that actions should have consequences. He might with his life if he is drinking again which it appears to be the case. That may also be the reason Caroline left him, because she might not want Alexandra exposed to his fits of rage when he is drunk. This of course brings us full circle to the lawsuit.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:12 PM

Are you guys sure that she had a choice about the court? She could have been compelled to testify?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think the German courts could force PC to testify. I think she did so voluntarily for what reasons I don't know. I also have wondered if she or PA could have given Ernst diplomatic immunity and refused to do so. That could be 1 reason for their separation. They separated 15 days after he went to court.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Heir Apparent

The sense of duty has nothing to do with love etc... She was a witness to the facts and she had the duty to report what she saw and heard ! And that is right !
Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I don't think the German courts could force PC to testify. I think she did so voluntarily for what reasons I don't know. I also have wondered if she or PA could have given Ernst diplomatic immunity and refused to do so. That could be 1 reason for their separation. They separated 15 days after he went to court.
Dumb question - and, I'm not trying to be a smart alec, so please don't think that, but how would diplomatic immunity have worked, since Ernst is not a diplomat? Really, his 'rank' in the royal world is actually higher than Princess Caroline's. The crime happened in Kenya, but we know the trial was held in Germany because the hotel owner is German. Also, hadn't the pictures (Enrst frolicking on beach) been released by the time of the trial (re: separating 15 days later) - I would think she was subpoenaed (or, whatever the equivalent would be) which is why she testified - not because of some obligation to him or the marriage. She was a material witness to the events.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Courtier

Ernst doesn't have diplomatic immunity, as his country recognises no royalty and his title is only a courtesy. All sitting royalty have diplomatic immunity, as far as I know. I know in the case of the Qatari royals, they carry diplomatic passports and UK royals are exempt from searches in airports and the like. Stephanie invoked diplomatic immunity so she wouldn't have to testify when a man was murdered and the girlfriend (I think?) arrived at the scene in a vehicle owned by her. I suppose Monaco could have given Ernst diplomatic rights, as a married member of their sovereign family, but they didn't.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecia View Post
Ernst doesn't have diplomatic immunity, as his country recognises no royalty and his title is only a courtesy. All sitting royalty have diplomatic immunity, as far as I know. I know in the case of the Qatari royals, they carry diplomatic passports and UK royals are exempt from searches in airports and the like. Stephanie invoked diplomatic immunity so she wouldn't have to testify when a man was murdered and the girlfriend (I think?) arrived at the scene in a vehicle owned by her. I suppose Monaco could have given Ernst diplomatic rights, as a married member of their sovereign family, but they didn't.
Thanks Thecia. That was very interesting. The immunity question was a good one. Now we know!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseygal View Post
IMHO - there is no way that Ernst was worried about Caroline threatening him if he cheated on her. He has already demonstrated that he has an unpredictable personality - cheating on his 1st wife, drinking to excess, violent outbursts - I'm sure her responses included the fact that he kept that wandering eye, and she probably knew in the back of her mind that she may be on the receiving end one day....sadly, that day came. I think, in some ways, Caroline is attracted to people with edgy or daring personalities - Junot and Ernst were more "bad boys" and Stefano was racy with his speed boat racing - she doesn't seem to mind her men living on the edge in the fast lane....of course, that personality comes with consequences.....

Excellent point, Horseygal, I concur, sadly. :(

It takes two to start a fire/tango, so, yes, Princess Caroline is just as responsible for the marriage faultering as Ernst. Perhaps even moreso in her case because she's the one that chose Junot & Ernst. When you pick a bad boy, expect the worse, in my humble opinion.

Why oh why couldn't she have picked somebody like Prince Andrew of York!?! He's still committed to his ex and their children despite being divorced in name only. They live together, get along well, holiday together with their children, seem to have an ideal relationship, et al.

My only fear is that her daughter, Charlotte, does NOT copy her mother when it comes to marriage. However, history shows that one's children usually emulate their parents, for better or worse. :(

Women tend to pick bad boys, thinking they can reform them, when it would be so much easier for everybody all around if they picked a GOOD GUY for once.

My rant for the day, lol.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Thanks Thecia. That was very interesting. The immunity question was a good one. Now we know!
You're welcome Hibs!
Quote:
I see what you mean. Yes she could have done that as well but I think she was thinking of her daughter when she chose her words. He has never in his life really paid for his actions in the sense that actions should have consequences. He might with his life if he is drinking again which it appears to be the case. That may also be the reason Caroline left him, because she might not want Alexandra exposed to his fits of rage when he is drunk. This of course brings us full circle to the lawsuit.
Yeah, I get what you mean. I understand what you're all saying, about Caroline considering her daughter and only being required to report facts. I have a little bit of an issue with the latter, as Caroline essentially gave a character reference about her husband. It seems she talked more about what he was like as a person rather than the events of that evening. And whilst she was honest - admitting that Ernst had a "very excitable" temperament or something like that (I don't recall the words exactly), she could have done a lot worse. I'm sure that in her testifying about Ernst's character, she tried to protect him.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks, Thecia - didn't realize that royals had diplomatic immunity automatically....I'm running in the wrong circles!!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Courtier

Crown Prince Nikolaos of Greece is marrying Tatiana Blatnik August 25. Nikolaos's father, King Constantine is a cousin of Ernst of Hanover. (As is Constantine's sister, Queen Sophia of Spain.) Perhaps Prince Ernst and Princess Alexandria will attend the wedding?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
Crown Prince Nikolaos of Greece is marrying Tatiana Blatnik August 25. Nikolaos's father, King Constantine is a cousin of Ernst of Hanover. (As is Constantine's sister, Queen Sophia of Spain.) Perhaps Prince Ernst and Princess Alexandria will attend the wedding?
I was wondering for the same think, but for the moment he did not show up!
Here in Greece we head that Caroline is her in Spetsopoula wich belongs to the Niarchos family, but she did not appear yet.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:20 PM

^I wondered if members from the Niarchos family would go to that wedding. I didn't know Ernst was close to them (the Greek "royals") but it wouldn't surprise me. Ernst and Spyros are supposed to be best buds, right?

You might think if Ernst was spending time with Alexandra, the Spanish press would eat it up, but we haven't seen them together in such a long time.

I miss the Hannovers. I know, I know...... Ernst is supposed to have cheated, and I don't blame Caroline, but I don't blame him either because the facts aren't known. It's all heresy and gossip. Even if it's true, people make mistakes. I don't have a head for statistics, but I think the statistic for infidelity in marriage in quite high! Anyway, I just miss the Hannover-Casiraghi brady bunch days. The whole thing is just sad.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Courtier

Aw, CT needs a hug!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
^

I miss the Hannovers. I know, I know...... Ernst is supposed to have cheated, and I don't blame Caroline, but I don't blame him either because the facts aren't known. It's all heresy and gossip. Even if it's true, people make mistakes. I don't have a head for statistics, but I think the statistic for infidelity in marriage in quite high! Anyway, I just miss the Hannover-Casiraghi brady bunch days. The whole thing is just sad.
I know! Despite the unsavoriness of Ernst's public split from his wife not chronologically preceding his affair with Caroline, the whole vibe from that merger of two families always seemed great. Nice for the kids, nice for the parents. I remember particularly some comments from Rainier in an interview just after the marriage, about how much he liked Ernst and what a fun, endearing person he was. Perhaps I vicariously idealize it, but, ... oh, pooh.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Courtier
TRF Author

Ain't that the truth! Where is the suspense? We can no longer be looking forward to Ernst slugging someone, or wetting down the pavilion of a sensitive country, or stripping down at the beach, "en famille", and getting his bare bottom photographed, or missing a morning royal wedding because he spent the night reveling, or having his pancreas whisked off to the hospital, or getting deathly ill when his wife needs him the most, or finding creative ways of dealing with paparazzi, or being driven in a high-end sedan with his feet hanging out the window, etc., etc. We'll just have to do without all of that.

Yet, I’ve always felt that when he stood by his wife, impeccably dressed, with a twinkle in his eye, he looked like a peach of a husband.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:00 AM

^Oh the feet hanging out the window was so classic Ernstie! That was one of the best! What a hoot. It's the end of an era. Ten, well more..... 1996/97 is really when it all started.... 13 some odd years of Ernst & Caro, & their brats in tow.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Heir Apparent

At the end of the day, it's all Grace's fault. She had earmarked EA as a suitor for PC in the early days.

For my part, I'd be glad never to see an image of EA ever again.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals View Post
Ain't that the truth! Where is the suspense? We can no longer be looking forward to Ernst slugging someone, or wetting down the pavilion of a sensitive country, or stripping down at the beach, "en famille", and getting his bare bottom photographed, or missing a morning royal wedding because he spent the night reveling, or having his pancreas whisked off to the hospital, or getting deathly ill when his wife needs him the most, or finding creative ways of dealing with paparazzi, or being driven in a high-end sedan with his feet hanging out the window, etc., etc. We'll just have to do without all of that.

Yet, I’ve always felt that when he stood by his wife, impeccably dressed, with a twinkle in his eye, he looked like a peach of a husband.
You never knew whether you were going to get Ernst the Jovial or Ernst the Prince of Screwing up Publicly. Things were never dull. But for all that, there was something so appealing about him, because he seemed like the only one of Caroline's husbands who had as strong a personality as she does, and that that was a good thing for her to experience - if only for a while, it seems.