The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Princess Caroline and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
Villa La Vigie is now an exclusive hotel and restaurant owned by SBM.

As for getting a divorce I am wondering how that would affect Princess Alexandra's place in line for the throne? Maybe not at all, but things always seem more commplicated when you are a royal.
You're absolutely right. La Vigie was previously owned by Karl Lagerfeld ( he shot a great photo session with the Casiraghi family in the summer of 1988 ); now it's owned by SBM. i think, though i'm not sure, Charlotte celebrated her 18th birthday there...

Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 PM

^Hey, speaking of Karl and LaVigie.... did you know Karl also previously the house in Mée-sur-Seine? Caro and Ernst bought it from Karl. I wonder if they buy properties from people they know because in this way, they can sort of 'control' the transaction? I mean, they can keep everything inside their own tight circle of trust. And then the person who profits, in this case Karl, is a constant investor in Monaco. So in this way, everyone in the circle is benefiting.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazuli View Post
i think, though i'm not sure, Charlotte celebrated her 18th birthday there...
Yes she did, you are right. At this time I remember that I read that EA bought it from Karl (EA not Caroline)
Old 05-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
No divorce no comments....that means they are still together...maybe they needed some time part to start again...Caro might be in Germany with Ernst this moment...only few people know that...
I have not heard anything about them divorcing as yet.I am wondering if the two will choose to remain married but maintain separate lives?
Poor Caroline.
This entire situation has the smack of deja vue; Ernst and Caroline became a couple while he was still married,and now this.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
Villa La Vigie is now an exclusive hotel and restaurant owned by SBM.

As for getting a divorce I am wondering how that would affect Princess Alexandra's place in line for the throne? Maybe not at all, but things always seem more commplicated when you are a royal.
It wouldn't affect her place at all.
Charles and Diana divorced and William and Harry are still heir and spare.
Joachim and Alexandra are divorced but Nikolai and Felix are still in line for the Danish throne.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree - according to the 2002 constitution, her succession is secure.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosca View Post
I'm making myself unpopular, but I'm not sorry for Caroline at all. What goes around comes around.
Don't worry for her. She will find a way to console herself very soon, just like she did shortly after Stefano's death.
Cynical but deadly accurate. It never ceases to amaze me that when a woman marries a man with whom she was having had an adulterous realationship never thinks her will cheat on her . . . . ! Go figure! .
Old 05-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Cynical but deadly accurate. It never ceases to amaze me that when a woman marries a man with whom she was having had an adulterous realationship never thinks her will cheat on her . . . . ! Go figure! .
Has Caroline said she did not think Ernst would cheat on her?
Old 05-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Courtier

She didn't have to say it. She married him. Most people enter into marriage with the hope that it's gonna be lifelong; very few marry someone who they believe will cheat on them. I think it's quite obvious what Marg's point was and I totally agree. Caroline carried on an adulterous affair with a man who had so little respect for his wife and his marriage AND his family as a whole, that he would screw one of his wife's close friends. Caroline had first-hand knowledge and experience of Ernst's attitude towards infidelity. But she married him anyway.

And why does Alexandra's succesion matter? Neither her nor Ernst will ever inherit the British throne.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kells View Post
She didn't have to say it. She married him. Most people enter into marriage with the hope that it's gonna be lifelong; very few marry someone who they believe will cheat on them. I think it's quite obvious what Marg's point was and I totally agree. Caroline carried on an adulterous affair with a man who had so little respect for his wife and his marriage AND his family as a whole, that he would screw one of his wife's close friends. Caroline had first-hand knowledge and experience of Ernst's attitude towards infidelity. But she married him anyway.
The fact that Caroline got pregnant certainly sped them along on the path to marriage. (With Stephanie, of course, that would not have been an issue . She's far less conventional than Caroline.)
Old 05-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe they got married because of her pregnancy. You know, another child born out of the wedlock, daddy Rainier was ill enough to have another headhache...
Old 05-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
Maybe they got married because of her pregnancy. You know, another child born out of the wedlock, daddy Rainier was ill enough to have another headhache...

That has ALWAYS been my belief. I dout P. Caroline would ever consider getting married if it wasn´t for that baby. P. Caroline and P. Ernst ( and of course i may be very much mistaken... ) don't seem to have much in common, and, through out this years, she seemed more to tolerate him than to be passionately in love with him. Her distant, cold manner speak for her... so far away of that happy, glowing princess she was in days past...
Old 05-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Royal Highness

I think Princess Caroline has been betrayed by all the men in her life. I think she has in each relationship gotten stronger in her person and is dedicated to her children and her work. That is why this latest marriage situation is not affecting her as much in my opinion. I don't think she will divorce Prince Ernst unless he wants to. She went into this last marriage because of the pregnancy and I think somewhat because of his title.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Nobility

I believe that Princess Caroline married PE because of her pregancy with Alexandra and secondly for love - if you look at early photos of their relationship IMO they were in love (even if she did have an affair with one of her friend's husbands), we cant help who we fall in love with.
However, I think her love for him was short lived and she more or less tolerated him for the sake of family and who they are in society.
Presently, I think she is relieved that she now can get on with her life with out him, even if she does stay married to him, the only frustrating thing for her was the embarrassment he caused a few months ago which I think affected both sides, but released her from the pretense of still being a 'married couple'. This is only my opinion and I know there are a whole lot more anomalies to be considered in the future.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Courtier

There are so many things I would like to say, but I'm gonna try to keep this basic and polite.

First of all I take a great deal of issue with the whole "She married him because she was pregnant" logic. The main one being, in this day and age where so many contraceptions are available, there is no such thing as a "surprise" pregnancy. That may be excuse enough for an EXTREMELY naive twentysomething---although no less flimsy---but Caroline was a grown woman, nearing or in her forties (not sure) with three kids already. I say this to say, I believe she already intended to marry Ernst and this probably sped up the process (like someone noted before). And if she didn't, well that's just foolish on her part, if she didn't want to be forced into marrying this man.

Secondly: Caroline has not been betrayed by all the men in her life. Albeit strict, Rainier never seemed anything less than a loving, supportive father, Albert almost seems to look up to her in a way, and Stefano died. Depending on what you believe, Vincent may have betrayed her. But they didn't look that much in love to begin with. He was more or less a father to the young Casiraghis. Now, certainly Philippe Junot betrayed her and took her through many unnecessary changes. But being familiar with the sting of infidelity would make me think that Caroline would never want to do that to anyone else.

Which brings me to my last point: "You can't help who you fall in love with" personally makes me wanna . Not that this isn't a true statement. It's just ever so odd that you usually hear it when someone wants to justify pursuing someone unavailable. You may not be able to choose who you love, but you can choose your actions. There is such a thing as self-control. I know it sounds odd and ridiculous in a world that believes if you want it take it without any regard for consequences or someone's feelings, but more than love it was selfish.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Courtier

I agree with everything you said kells (and your reasons behind it) but I can't help pointing out that Caroline is a Catholic and the Catholic Church comes out pretty strongly against contraception. Caroline has never, in my opinion, seemed strongly attached to Catholicism (Caroline has always seemed spiritual but not particularly religious) but there is the possibility that follows the Catholic line of thinking on contraceptives. Which would mean that Caroline and Ernst knew there was a possibility of Caroline getting pregnant and "did it" (I could make a joke but I'll refrain for now ) anyway. Which kind of, in a way, makes it worse. I have always liked Caroline but I don't believe in absolving people from the consequences of their actions simply because you like them. Caroline did not steal Chantal's husband but she did commit adultery with him, so she can't say that this was like a bolt out of the blue. I agree with kells - if Caroline could not see that the man she married had a wife and two small children and yet still decided to have an affair with one of his wife's closest friends - and how that indicates a pattern of behavior that is likely to continue (I think the adage "Leopards never change their spots" applies here) and thought somehow her marriage to Ernst would be different she's fooling herself IMHO. Like I said, I like Caroline but sorry, you make your bed, you lie in it.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Courtier

Thank you, Thecia. And yes, I know about Catholics being unable to use contraceptives (I am one myself ), but like you, Caroline has always come off to me as more spiritual than Catholic. Besides, adultery and fornication are also forbidden in the Church, so I think if she was willing to do those things, why not also use contraceptives?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Courtier

Perhaps she's one of those people that picks and chooses? I don't know, it was just a thought. I've always found it a little odd how Caroline talks about the message of Christ and how it's sad that modern culture has become the guiding force of the world instead of religion (I refer in particular to her interview with Hola in April 2004) and yet doesn't seem to practice many of those beliefs herself. It seems a case of "do as I say, not as I do".
Old 05-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecia View Post
I've always found it a little odd how Caroline talks about the message of Christ and how it's sad that modern culture has become the guiding force of the world instead of religion (I refer in particular to her interview with Hola in April 2004) and yet doesn't seem to practice many of those beliefs herself. It seems a case of "do as I say, not as I do".
Are you serious? I didn't know about that interview. I wonder if she knows the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude from alot of Christians is the reason so many people reject religion. I'm with you all the way, Thecia. I admire Caroline, as well, for her generosity particularly when it comes to kids, the fact that she has survived so much tragedy, and that she still has her head held high in spite of this whole situation with Ernst. But she is far from perfect.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Courtier

This is the passage I was referring to (from the Google translated version):
Quote:
- Is this humanitarian action is related to their beliefs? Are you practicing?
— Yes, the truth is yes. I received a Catholic education, the most traditional. That message of Christ has influenced me since my childhood. We try to return a hundredfold benefits we have received. Think of others, helping others. I strongly believe in this idea of giving of yourself.

Do you feel that in today's world there is a loss of religious meaning?

—Religion has been replaced by the media. Before religion dictated the notions of good and evil. Trembled before the priest, the confessor or the parents. Now, people give a damn about that. They tend to tremble at the idea that their action will be frowned upon by the newspapers or on television.

Are the means for new teachers of morality?

—Yes. It is a shame because the religious have a sense of understanding and forgiveness, which means do not. Therefore, perhaps it is time to go back to being a bit more religious, to express more compassion.

Do not you miss our time greats to admire?

—At least there is the Abbé Pierre, who is France's most beloved character. Thankfully. That is reassuring.
Do you think that too much media coverage is at the origin of the decreased number of great figures and heroes?
—This excessive media coverage worries me a bit. Prevents people dream their dreams. Do nothing but dream the other, which the media give them. That leaves very little room for imagination. We are all individuals, we are all unique. Are being removed all lifestyles, ways of dressing, eating, the notion of uniqueness of the individual. I tell my children when they are an entire afternoon watching television, 'You have not done anything all that is yours, make it personal. If you had picked up a book, listened to a disc, you would have had an original entertainment that you only belong to you '. We must continue to be individuals, not to follow the tide.
It's not that Caroline's not right but it just seemed a little "holier than thou" in my opinion. You can encourage people to live a better life without taking that sort of stance (like "This is what you must do") That said, however, I do admire how opinionated Caroline is.