The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Princess Caroline and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
I cannot understand what Caroline saw in him, in every sense, especially his personality.
Maybe the quintessential "bad boy...." I agree - don't really see what he has to offer, other than from the material sense....they do, however, have a lovely daughter together.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Gentry

I don´t think Ernst and Caroline relationship has been based on "materialistic" interests . She has enough money on her own . None of us can know why she fell with him ....Sometimes , love is strange .

Old 01-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Aristocracy

Location: Harrisburg (outside of Charlotte NC), United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcía View Post
I don´t think Ernst and Caroline relationship has been based on "materialistic" interests . She has enough money on her own . None of us can know why she fell with him ....Sometimes , love is strange .

IMO, I think it had a little to do with love, but also his Royal Highness status and his entry into the other royal families was probably at little tempting.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcía View Post
Yes... they don't seem to have much in common, and i must admit that, in the begining i didn't give much for that marrige. But the years went buy and they seemed a steady couple, so... I think P. Caroline only married him because she was pregnant with Alexandra, even though she had feelings ( true feelings ) for him. I think that pregnancy caught her by surprise ( and after the scandal about Stephanie being pregnant with Camilla... ), after all, having an affair with a man is one thing, marring him is another...
Old 01-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Courtier

I feel so sad for her. No matter for what reasons they got married - though hopefully it was for love - he truely acted like an idiot with those pictures with another woman. This is so humiliating for his wife. And still, she shows class by defending him at court. EA should be ashamed of himself.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
I feel so sad for her. No matter for what reasons they got married - though hopefully it was for love - he truely acted like an idiot with those pictures with another woman. This is so humiliating for his wife. And still, she shows class by defending him at court. EA should be ashamed of himself.
Wasn't it humiliating for his first wife and his children from that marriage when photos of him and Caroline started circulating?
Old 01-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Serene Highness

Why do you all speak of huniliation? What was he supposed to do if he wasn´t in love with her anymore? What were they supposed to do when Chantal and Ernst marriage had finished?, hide themselves? I stated this before, people fall in love with other people while they are still married. Long time relationships are hard to keep, especialy in these days.
No one is guilty, and please, for those who hint that Caroline deserves it because she did the same, you need to grow up.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Why do you all speak of huniliation? What was he supposed to do if he wasn´t in love with her anymore? What were they supposed to do when Chantal and Ernst marriage had finished?, hide themselves?
Yes that is true, that people's marriages fall apart, and people fall in love whilst still married. But they could have done a lot better job of hiding there relationship whilst he was still married.
It must have been horrible for Chantel to see her husband parading around with Caroline, whilst he was still married to her.
They might not of been in love but they once were, and she would of been hurt.

Caroline and Ernst marriage maybe falling apart, but he is still married to her, even if seperated. He should not be swimming in the sea kissing a younger woman.
It must be horrible for Caroline to see those pictures.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Why do you all speak of huniliation? What was he supposed to do if he wasn´t in love with her anymore? What were they supposed to do when Chantal and Ernst marriage had finished?, hide themselves? I stated this before, people fall in love with other people while they are still married. Long time relationships are hard to keep, especialy in these days.
No one is guilty, and please, for those who hint that Caroline deserves it because she did the same, you need to grow up.
Chantal and Ernst marriage was not over; he constantly cheated on her and she looked the other way. I am sure, not that I can speak for her, that she ever expected her husband to leave her for her best friend, Caroline, which was sure an additional insult added to injury. Also, many people cheat while still in love, or loving, their wife/husband/partner.

I am an admirer of Caroline, but she should had seen this coming and she should had been prepared for this as she did the same to her BEST FRIEND at the time, Chantal. This is all rather unfortunate. And for the record., we are quite grown up; infidelity is not considered acceptable to the majority of people whereas to some, it may be a way of life. So please accept the fact that everyone does not live life with your views as you do not live life with ours. That is how grown ups act.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq View Post
So please accept the fact that everyone does not live life with your views as you do not live life with ours. That is how grown ups act.
You are assuminmg many things, that you cannot possibly know. First, that i live life this way. Second, that Chantal was Caroline´s best friend, when we have only seen a few pictures of them togenther.
And you are contradicting yourself. When i say that a marriage is over, i mean that the relatioship is awful, finished, intolerable, not that they are separated. If Ernst cheated Chantal, the marriage was over long ago before Caroline, only that they, or one of them, to keep appearances, didn´t take the decision to split.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Courtier

I did not say that you live that way nor did I allude to that. I would never attempt to assume how you or anyone live their life.

As far as Chantal being Caroline's best friend, if you can possibly read old articles, clippings, etc. prior to Chantal and Ernst's divorce, it was constantly reported that they were best friends.

I am not contradicting myself, I only responded to what you wrote. You did not elaborate in post #374 what your definition of "when a marriage is over". It is a documented fact that many marriages continue until one member's death, with infidelity by one or both members so we cannot say that a marriage is over. It doesn't mean that love is not there, they may not be "in love" anymore.

If I offended you, it was never my intention, and I do offer my apologies, but I stand by what I wrote.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Please remember the moderator post that has already been made:
Comments about Prince Ernst August's first marriage are considered to
be off topic here as to already mentioned reasons. Any further discussions
about that will be deleted.

Iceflower
Monaco Forum Moderator
Old 01-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Courtier

I think Chantal and Caroline are best defined as acquaintances, or distant friends. There is no evidence whatsoever that they ever were best friends or that they even saw much of each other after their youth...the press provides such a detailed account of Caroline's life that had they been such good friends we would have seen Chantal in many a pic.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Courtier

There is a picture (going to try and find it) of Caroline with Stefano and her kids and behind them are Chantal and Ernst. After Stefano died, most of the photos I saw of Caro are with her kids. But I don't know much about the love triangle situation so I'll stop there.

I will say this though, I don't think it's fair or kind to say Caroline got what she deserved. However, I am a firm believer in the old adage, be careful how you treat people because it does have a way of showing up again. That's all I'm saying.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Courtier

I agree; it is very unfortunate for all involved. I wouldn't wish it on anyone!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Courtier

I know. Poor Alex. BTW, I love ur avatar.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Aristocracy

The former ruling family of Hanover appear to have a genetic predisposition to iincontiency in marriage, self indulgence, and for being inconstant friends. Divorce is always messy but we can't wish happiness on people who are the authors of their own destruction.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals View Post
I know this is getting way off topic, and maybe it is time to start a new thread entitled “The Grimaldis and the media”, but I wanted to elaborate on your post..
There is so much more to say, and if you’re interested, Fandesacs, shall we start a new thread ?
It should be very interesting to start such a thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals View Post
You are right that Paris-Match has been very exploitative of all the Grimaldis’ shenanigans, always a new opportunity to sell their magazines. However, contrary to “Point de Vue” and “Jours de France” who were sickeningly sycophantic, Paris-Match rolled with the times, preparing for a post-modern, post-sixties audience that was not so uptight. Point-de-Vue has changed its format to make it almost totally ironic, and the stately Jours de France has folded. Paris-Match has survived. As opposed to tabloids which are by nature scandal and judgment oriented, Paris-Match wrapped every titillating picture around a pseudo-admiring text. Caroline is having an affair with Guillermo Vilas and they have pictures to prove it? : “They are no longer hiding!” Every infraction to conventional morality was actually a wholesome means of self-expression, truth to oneself or to one’s love.
You are right for Paris-Match, they had a special way to transmit their message, and sell without being vulgar, in opposition to magazines like Voice,or other similar.
For old "Point de Vue I do not really remember how they were, but for Jours de France i can not undestand, they were never ironic nor sycophantic, they were ALWAYS very flattering! People was even saying at this period that "Jours de France" was owned by Prince Rainier!!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Serene Highness

Red face Glistening Seas

is the Guillermo affair story recent??
Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glistening Seas View Post
is the Guillermo affair story recent??
Well if you consider 1982 recent....