Charlotte Casiraghi's equestrian career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She sounds just as much a celebutante rider as Charlotte. I don't think I would put either young lady in the serious category of rider like an Ian Miller, Eric Lamaze or the Whittakers or Beerbaums.

No, but they are very serious horses indeed. The new one was 2nd in 2 of the biggest GP in the US last year. If I said the name you would know the horse. The reality in this market is that there are a few lucky sperm/hedge fund/venture capital/hollywood/royals who make the high end of the market go around. The ridiculous price range is alive and well, horse wise.

Last edited:
I, wasn't questioning the merits of the horse flesh, merely the seriousness of the "celebutante" riders. Money can buy great animals and others can ride them to success but if the young ladies are intent on showing them themselves that takes a lot of training that their money cannot be a substitute for.

Is Guillaume Canet a good rider at least?
I thought mama Carolina would open her daughter's eyes to realize what is going on around her (if all these are true, of course)! But Char is a grown woman, over 25, who should know what is happening. She is not a child anymore. But i would agree with Gavras on his lates post/reference about her.

Trepstrep, in two of these photos she has her hair down.

she is simply amazing with short hair!

comparing the previous photo..I think she already has cut yet..

I don't like the new hair cut.

Update on her results for today: at 1.10m, she finished 64/74

She looks younger now... As If she is 13 (she had the same haircut at 13)

Last edited:

Impossible! Why, I hear she rides at the 1.40 level. Horse must have been nervous.

;)

Can someone explain me something? When we see the results in the website of the Jumping International de Bordeaux, like this The Result of Prix des Partenaires at Jumping International de Bordeaux
below the flags, there is a code. Charlotte's is PR2, for example. What does that mean?
I notice that in the more professional competitions, it's to do with the country but in the amateurs it's not the case

It looks like Thierry's father, Marcel Rozier, is coaching Charlotte at Bordeaux.

Is Guillaume Canet a good rider at least?

Guillaume Canet is just an amateur, but unlike Charlotte, a sensible amateur, who rides for passion and fun, and is perfectly conscious of what's his level.
He doesnt' pretend to be something that he is not, even if he also qualifies himself as a "perfectionist".
And it rings true. In the Jappeloup film he jumped 1.50 jumps but he is conscious that this wasn't just a film and competition is different, so he is humble enough to ride 1'05-1'15m. competitions for now, because that's the level he knows he can do things properly.

He also has a horse who's adapted to his level. He rides a 1'20/1'25 horse, which is more than enough is you are jumping 1'10.

If he keeps on riding regularly (he says his profession is acting, and he only rides when he has the time), he'll probably get better results than Charlotte.
You can watch him here:
Epreuve Partenaires N°1 - Guillaume Canet - Vidéo Dailymotion

You can listen to him explaining himself here, but of course it's in french:
http://www.francebleu.fr/infos/equitation/guillaume-canet-en-selle-bordeaux-315573

Can someone explain me something? When we see the results in the website of the Jumping International de Bordeaux, like this The Result of Prix des Partenaires at Jumping International de Bordeaux
below the flags, there is a code. Charlotte's is PR2, for example. What does that mean?
I notice that in the more professional competitions, it's to do with the country but in the amateurs it's not the case

In France you can have several type of riding licences, that give you the right to enter diferent types of competition. Those who have AM under their name have amateur licences, and those who have PRO have a professional one.

Edit: You can see Charlotte in this video from the 1st day of competion. You have to click where it says "Les people en compétition". Guillaume Canet and Philippe Monet talk to the cameras. Charlotte probably thinks she is above it and has Rozier talking. You can see her getting eliminated, thought, and Rozier making excuses for her.
Les "peoples" en compétition - France 3 Aquitaine
I'll attempt a quick translation, please excuse my clumsy english:
"It is very difficult for a young girl like this to ride, and to manage to relax, to enter correcty, but she has such passion... She has the will. Also, she is a little bit tired she has a small flu".

I mean. What does he mean by a young girl "like this"? And what in earth is a "small flu". You either have the flu or you don't. Otherwise you just have a cold!

But it's specially telling the way he says ..but she has the passion, and the will... " At least he is the only one decent enought not to mention her "talent".

Edit 2: she's been eliminated again:
The Result of Prix des Partenaires at Jumping International de Bordeaux

Probably she was still tired, from her "small flu"

Last edited:
How funny- her "small flu". Looks like our guesses yesterday about the excuses people around her make were dead accurate.

And it's ridiculous for a woman in her mid twenties to be spoken of as if she's a shy child.

How funny- her "small flu". Looks like our guesses yesterday about the excuses people around her make were dead accurate.

And it's ridiculous for a woman in her mid twenties to be spoken of as if she's a shy child.

The "It's very difficult for a girl [of nearly 27 like this to ride and relax" was also really fun.
I'd love to have him explain whether it is no equally difficult to relax and concentrate for the other 70 people who weere riding with her and who were not eliminated (most of them far less experienced riders and some of them real teenagers).

Last edited:
The last few seconds of the film, she appears to explain herself, saying what had gone wrong..does she?

Honestly, I'm really beginning to feel quite embarrassed for her. Results aren't everything, but she almost never gets through without being eliminated anymore. If she's not going to do the work to get better, I'd rather see her quit and maybe find something she cares about enough to work at.

Update: I just took the time to watch the video. Ouch. No wonder she was eliminated- she looked totally off balance. She's making it impossible for her horses to jump safely- she's off balance and it's throwing them off too. No wonder they refuse so often.

Charlotte needs to call it a day. Time to quit and sell her horses to people who can ride them. At this point, we know she's not going to put in the work to get better, and she's just going to keep embarrassing herself and ruining her horses' training.

Last edited:
Wow. Is she trying to prove something? Her results have been abysmal. I don't get this at all. I'd rather her stick to writing or fashion or something, because l'equitation is not something you should half-ass. It's dangerous. And I would imagine scary for someone so obviously unskilled as she is. Were her results always like this? I remember as a teenager she seemed to have won at least one award for her jumping. What happened?

I mean, I am legitimately confused by her actions. Is it really so hard to put more effort in with her horses? What else is she doing? Her magazine, if she still has it, doesn't come out all that often. And she's missed fashion week, so I assumed she was actually practicing this time around, but it seems not. I would think she'd want to put in at least the minimal amount of work so not to get eliminated or at least to get her horse through the arena without refusals. It'd be one thing if she simply always landed in the bottom score-wise, but it's quite another when she clearly doesn't have the horse under control as is shown in the video.

IMO the question is: does she have someone in her live who would sit her down and help her see the situation (like you guys did above).... I doubt the trainers are going to do that (i'm sure she brings in a lot of money), her sponsors aren't going to do that, so it'll have to be someone in her family?

IMO the question is: does she have someone in her live who would sit her down and help her see the situation (like you guys did above).... I doubt the trainers are going to do that (i'm sure she brings in a lot of money), her sponsors aren't going to do that, so it'll have to be someone in her family?

Honestly, she shouldn't need anyone to tell her at this point. There are few things scarier than being on a horse you can't control on a course you know you can't manage and she seems to be experiencing that more and more. She never looks like she's having fun- always scared and fighting her horse for control.

She'll stop when she gets tired of that, or if god forbid, she hurts herself or seriously injures one of her horses.

Honestly, she shouldn't need anyone to tell her at this point. There are few things scarier than being on a horse you can't control on a course you know you can't manage and she seems to be experiencing that more and more. She never looks like she's having fun- always scared and fighting her horse for control.

She'll stop when she gets tired of that, or if god forbid, she hurts herself or seriously injures one of her horses.

But if her trainers talk to her the way was described a couple of posts ago (it's the flu, it's her youth, she should just relax, etc) I'm not so sure she realizes that something is wrong...
Sometimes when you are *in* a situation, you don't have a clear view of it...

If only she did a sport which she could do on her own... (without a horse or other being..)

I do think that she is training and trying. Rozier talks about her passion and her willpower.
Maybe, she simply doesn't have the talent to ride that kind of classy horses.
Not everybody is cut to be a champion and training can't get you everywhere. But she seems to be too pretentious to accept it, admit what her real level is, buy an old, experienced and easiest horse, ride amateur competitions and have fun.

There are few things scarier than being on a horse you can't control on a course you know you can't manage and she seems to be experiencing that more and more.

Exactly. It's scary as hell. I don't know how she can keep on doing that. At the end of the video when she is explaining herself she looks really nervous and distraught. And more attentive to the camera than her trainer, I should say.

Guillaume Canet is just an amateur, but unlike Charlotte, a sensible amateur, who rides for passion and fun, and is perfectly conscious of what's his level.
He doesnt' pretend to be something that he is not, even if he also qualifies himself as a "perfectionist".
And it rings true. In the Jappeloup film he jumped 1.50 jumps but he is conscious that this wasn't just a film and competition is different, so he is humble enough to ride 1'05-1'15m. competitions for now, because that's the level he knows he can do things properly.

He also has a horse who's adapted to his level. He rides a 1'20/1'25 horse, which is more than enough is you are jumping 1'10.

If he keeps on riding regularly (he says his profession is acting, and he only rides when he has the time), he'll probably get better results than Charlotte.
You can watch him here:
Epreuve Partenaires N°1 - Guillaume Canet - Vidéo Dailymotion

You can listen to him explaining himself here, but of course it's in french:
Guillaume Canet en selle à Bordeaux / France Bleu

In France you can have several type of riding licences, that give you the right to enter diferent types of competition. Those who have AM under their name have amateur licences, and those who have PRO have a professional one.

Edit: You can see Charlotte in this video from the 1st day of competion. You have to click where it says "Les people en compétition". Guillaume Canet and Philippe Monet talk to the cameras. Charlotte probably thinks she is above it and has Rozier talking. You can see her getting eliminated, thought, and Rozier making excuses for her.
Les "peoples" en compétition - France 3 Aquitaine
I'll attempt a quick translation, please excuse my clumsy english:
"It is very difficult for a young girl like this to ride, and to manage to relax, to enter correcty, but she has such passion... She has the will. Also, she is a little bit tired she has a small flu".

I mean. What does he mean by a young girl "like this"? And what in earth is a "small flu". You either have the flu or you don't. Otherwise you just have a cold!

But it's specially telling the way he says ..but she has the passion, and the will... " At least he is the only one decent enought not to mention her "talent".

Edit 2: she's been eliminated again:
The Result of Prix des Partenaires at Jumping International de Bordeaux

Probably she was still tired, from her "small flu"
Thanks a lot trepstrep for the excellent clarification to my question!

Well, when a coach cannot reaveal or maybe don't know if his "student" has a problem, then there is a vicious circle going on here:whistling:
Is Charlotte so stupid in order not to get that she is not good? She must be untrue to her own self! She is no way a perfectionist, at least to horse riding, i think.

The problem with Charlotte is that she wants to have everything. A jet-set life, vacations five times a year, Gad Elmaleh and at the same time, she wants to be a brilliant equestrian (or maybe she wants just to show that she's something more than rich fashionist)... Paradoxically all the money and the prestige she has is an obstacle to do something she would be really good at.

^^ I think you're right, Marisaa. Her perfectionism is shown in the fact that she wants to have everything, she wants to be the best in everything. She's one of those cases when perfectionism is so much that you become stubborn and keep insisting again and again and it kind of blinds you, you can only see that goal you want to achieve and loose the ability to see it in a "cold" way (kind of seen from outside) and recognize what's wrong

^^^^^
That not being a perfectionist thats called being a stubborn or even delusional. A perfectionist sees flaws and trys to fix them.

I agree, Galitzine. A perfectionist is some one who wants what she does to be perfect and is never content even if she only has small non important flaws.

In showjumping, a perfectionist would be someone who is riding regularly at 1'20, and getting good results once and again, and and still is not content and doesn't feel ready to go to the next level even if she actually is, because she feels she still needs to improve! Quite the contrary of Charlotte's attitude.

Guillaume Canet says he is a perfectionist too, and he probablyreally is. He used to jump 1'40 when he was young. He could be doing 1'20-1'25 and he'll probably do ok. But he keeps competing at 1'10 because he feels that both him and his horse need to improve and gain confidence and experience.

The problem with Charlotte is that she wants to have everything. A jet-set life, vacations five times a year, Gad Elmaleh and at the same time, she wants to be a brilliant equestrian (or maybe she wants just to show that she's something more than rich fashionist)... Paradoxically all the money and the prestige she has is an obstacle to do something she would be really good at.
Money and prestige is not an obstacle in the case of Zara Philips, though. Maybe because Zara is really fond of equestry?
(sorry for my bad English...)

Money and prestige is not an obstacle in the case of Zara Philips, though. Maybe because Zara is really fond of equestry?
(sorry for my bad English...)

Zara is from a family who take equestrian pursuits very, very seriously and she's the daughter of two Olympic riders. She was probably being instructed on proper form from the time she was a three year old on her first pony ride. She's also from a family that doesn't go in much for flash and glamour.

Charlotte on the other hand- no one else in the family is into equestrian pursuits and I suspect she sees riding as part of a jet set, glamorous lifestyle. She's said as much in interviews- that it's the ultimate glamour sport.

I imagine Zara, coated in mud from doing a cross country course or driving the horse van or sitting up with a sick horse would howl in laughter at the idea of riding as a glamour sport.

Charlotte sees riding as a part time thing she can do on her own schedule- just show up well groomed and lovely, jump on a horse someone else trained and groomed and ride the course- then hand the reins back over to a groom. She doesn't form a partnership with any of her horses and they don't trust her or like how she rides and it shows.

Back
Top Bottom