Charlotte Casiraghi's equestrian career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does this mean she is unlikely to be at the Grand Prix tomorrow? (Hoping she'll be there partly as I'm curious to see if Alex is still on the scene)

There is only 1 competition tomorrow. I think she will be at the F1 Grand Prix. She didn't do very well but took 3 horses: Troy, Madison d'olgy and CarryDuffZ. Her best finish was 19/52 with 2 time faults at CSI 1 star and 1.20m on Carry. The worst was 39/42 with 12 faults at 1.35 with Troy. Had several double digit faults. The good news is she didn't have any eliminations. I think she is saving Tintero for the GCT. Hope she goes to Hamburg next week. It will be her first time there.

I don't want to start a new argument about Charlotte, but while looking at this picture I can't help myself thinking that there is something wrong with her. I've been riding for 15 years now, I know very well the subject. This kind of jump is very bad for the horse's back, the jump has been badly prepared, and Charlotte's position is bad too. It's also bad for horse's confidence. He's jumping, and she already asks him to turn. On this pic, it seems that she hasn't improved a lot. I love horses so much, and I really think that I won't look at pictures of Charlotte riding anymore, it hurts me too much to see the way she behaves with her beautiful, talentuous horses. I think that Charlotte is beautiful, and she's more at her place watching at the show, or parading around it than taking part to it.
She has to take it seriously. I have to say that she is the first one that I see on a jumping with a handbag constantly with her. It gives me the idea that Charlotte is socializing, that she follows Global Tour more to socialize than to win prizes. I'm so disappointed by this girl... I know that a lot of people on this forum admire her, and I don't want to hurt anybody. I don't want to appear rude, or anything else. I just want to express how I'm disgusted for all these talentuous horses spoilt by a spoilt heiress. And I apologize for my english: I hope you'll understand what I want to express!

Last edited:
LovelyKate said:
I don't want to start a new argument about Charlotte, but while looking at this picture I can't help myself thinking that there is something wrong with her. I've been riding for 15 years now, I know very well the subject. This kind of jump is very bad for the horse's back, the jump has been badly prepared, and Charlotte's position is bad too. It's also bad for horse's confidence. He's jumping, and she already asks him to turn. On this pic, it seems that she hasn't improved a lot. I love horses so much, and I really think that I won't look at pictures of Charlotte riding anymore, it hurts me too much to see the way she behaves with her beautiful, talentuous horses. I think that Charlotte is beautiful, and she's more at her place watching at the show, or parading around it than taking part to it.
She has to take it seriously. I have to say that she is the first one that I see on a jumping with a handbag constantly with her. It gives me the idea that Charlotte is socializing, that she follows Global Tour more to socialize than to win prizes. I'm so disappointed by this girl... I know that a lot of people on this forum admire her, and I don't want to hurt anybody. I don't want to appear rude, or anything else. I just want to express how I'm disgusted for all these talentuous horses spoilt by a spoilt heiress. And I apologize for my english: I hope you'll understand what I want to express!

Wow, you're right. Her position really is terrible there and her horse's back is all flattened out. She's not helping him through the course at all, she's just along for the ride on a talented horse.

The top riders all turn their horses in the middle of the jump. Watch their videos on the GCT site. She came in 5th out of 42 with no faults on Madison d'Olgy and won $270.00. She was eliminated on CarryDuffZ but that is a new horse. Both horses competed at 1.35 meters. She carries a handbag because Gucci is her sponsor and pays her horse expenses. These horses must be her number 3 and 4 horses because Tintero and Troy are her number 1 and 2. Maybe she is saving them for Monaco in a couple of weeks.

FanofMonaco said:
The top riders all turn their horses in the middle of the jump. Watch their videos on the GCT site. She came in 5th out of 42 with no faults on Madison d'Olgy and won $270.00. She was eliminated on CarryDuffZ but that is a new horse. Both horses competed at 1.35 meters. She carries a handbag because Gucci is her sponsor and pays her horse expenses. These horses must be her number 3 and 4 horses because Tintero and Troy are her number 1 and 2. Maybe she is saving them for Monaco in a couple of weeks.

Her position is terrible- her feet are shoved way too forward in the stirrups and she just doesn't look balanced or like she's doing anything to help her horse through the course. Granted, that could just be a bad moment and everyone has them, I was just struck by how bad that particular picture makes her look. I haven't followed her riding career closely though, so I have no idea if that's always the case with her or if it was just that jump.

The top riders all turn their horses in the middle of the jump.
Completely agree. She is obviously turning hard right in a timed round. Now would it be better if she had lined the jup up more angled left to right to facilitate the turn and cought a looser distance coming in? Yes. But a respectable job at a tough competition. They build the courses stout there. Give credit where it is due.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Scooter. I think this is a new move she is learning. Last year she would make a larger arc and jump at an angle. I noticed this spring she is trying flatter arcs and turning in the jump. I don't ride, but even I am noticing her progression from year to year. I am really enjoying following the GCT on their website.

I'm sorry, I said I will stay away from the board, but I am a big mouth and ii can't.
The top riders all turn their horses in the middle of the jump.
WHAT? Never, you never make a horse turn in the middle of a jump. It may look like that because the riders DO look to the next jump and turn their head and a little bit their body over there. But you don't bother your horse ever.

Please, have a look at these video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq4ZqhVo9eA&feature=related

The jump-off of the 5* La Baule CSI (Charlotte took part on the amateur competition last month). It's the jump-off, when time really counts. The first rider is the amazing Michel Robert, SO respectful to the horse, but even the second rider, Eric Lamaze, who takes huge risks and finishes a crazy course (listen to the freaked-out speakers!) NEVER makes his horse turn in the middle of a jump.

I agree 100% with LovelyKate. Charlotte is an inconsiderate rider. At her level she should be riding easier competitions. She's already destroyed 2 talented horses, Tintero and Troy. It looks like this year will be the turn of these new beasties. Madison will carry her as far as he can until he gets bored. Carry doesn't even seem to be willing to do it at the beginnig of the season.

^Thank you Trepstep for this come back! I totally agree with you, poor Madison, this horse doesn't deserve what is going to happen to him...

FanofMonaco, I come from a family who has been bringing up horses for many generations. I have been horse riding for many years, and I love watching competition. I can assure you that you're wrong. It's nice to try defending Charlotte, I understand your admiration, but you have to recognize that sometimes, people have some defauts. Charlotte is not a good rider, and she will never be. I read her interview in L'Eperon magazine, she's sooo pretentious! She says her usual blablabla about beautiful horses, relationship between horses and riders (and that's so funny, from a girl who never takes care of her horses, anybody who has seen Charlotte at a jumping will confirm it) and she affirms that she's going to take part to the Olympic games. Girl, you're so ridiculous! Of course you'll take part to it one day. But I can promise you that if you go to the O.G., you'll only stay one day!
Charlotte has to train more, more and more. Zara Phillips lives with her horses. She works a lot and she wins. No secret.

Last edited:
I won't pretend to know anything about horse jumping, but no one looks as good in riding gear as Charlotte! I love the zimbio pics where she is wearing a blazer and white jeans. So chic. I'm also loving all her new Gucci riding shirts this season.

^ Awww I love the red one too! I'm not positive, but I bet the bag is Gucci.

Lovelykate, i agree with your latest post.
I love what Caroline wore.. This outfit is really cute and romantic! I have those shoes she's wearing in other colors and they're really comfortable!

I won't pretend to know anything about horse jumping, but no one looks as good in riding gear as Charlotte!

I totally agree with you!!
Nice red jacket, but I thought that red jackets were deserved to international riders? I'm even sure about it. Charlotte is an international rider, I you want, but she's an amateur, once more, it sounds to me a bit ridiculous and pretentious... And please, don't tell me that Gucci obliges her to wear a red jacket, because we all know that she contributes to the elaboration of her riding clothes. ;)
Someone attracted my attention on these pics: when she rides, Charlotte seems completely lost, she even looks quite miserable (on this pic, and on this one too, for exemple). Maybe a bad day? I think that she was in difficulty with her new horse she doesn't really know, on a very difficult moment - because I repeat it, she has not the level to take part to these competitions. I felt sorry for her, really, she touched me with all this sadness/fear on her face. I hope that she'll take conscious that she has to train more, and to take part to easier competitions.
To conclude I would say that I found so nice that Caroline was there to support her little princess. You see, I'm not an anti-Charlotte, if it was the case I wouldn't be here... I just wanted to explain my point of vue on something that I desapprouve. :flowers:

@ Azure: Caroline's shoes are the best, they come from my country! These "espadrilles" are the most comfortable shoes of the world! :D

EDIT: on this pic, we can see very well that her horse is fighting against Charlotte, there is no confidence between them.

Last edited:
Well , I train in the sport with an Olympic and world champion and have done so for my entire life. See our credentials at www.leslieburrhoward.com .
Here, here - LOVE Leslie, she's an accomplished rider, with a line of medals to prove that.....< ed Warren >. I enjoy this forum, and love to see that Charlotte continues to improve; however, you're always learning from your horse, especially one that is new to you, or your barn - once that synergy is achieved, both improve. I just wish she'd try a different coach to get a different perspective. I know once our kids are in school full-time, I'm re-dedicating myself to riding (been off for a few years) - really miss it!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no set color of jacket for the GCT. Kevin Staut usually wears brown and the other FRench riders blue or black. Many of the riders do tend to wear their home countries colors. Monaco's flag is red and white. Why shouldn't she wear red if she wants to? I have also seen her wear black, blue and grey wool. Showjumping is like tennis used to be in the sixties. Everyone wore white. Now they wear any color and have pulled in the big sponsors. Charlotte is trying to do the same thing with jumping; attract more sponsors.

Her position is terrible- her feet are shoved way too forward in the stirrups and she just doesn't look balanced or like she's doing anything to help her horse through the course. Granted, that could just be a bad moment and everyone has them, I was just struck by how bad that particular picture makes her look. I haven't followed her riding career closely though, so I have no idea if that's always the case with her or if it was just that jump.

I cannot understand that what we discuss in here and all the advice that you HRHHermione, LovelyKate and Trepstrep share with us, cannot give Char's coach, Thierry Rozzier, to her! She seems and is inexperienced but what is her coach doing? If she wants to improve - something that is going to take a lot of time - and if she really loves horse riding,she must change her coach and stop buying all those talentuous and good horses that could have a better rider as a result of winning a higher place.

I have also noticed that Char seems a little weird..dissapointed, sad in the pictures; http://i51.tinypic.com/iyzmo7.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/veq7gw.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2z82t1j.jpg
Maybe because of the not good place she got(?) Anyway, i think that she is given wrong advice and she is in a level that she cannot do. If you see, the other competitive riders are in a great level.

Last edited:
Charlotte is receiving advice from Jan Tops, Edwina Alexander and Maurice, Philippe and Thierry Rozier. And who knows who else. 4 of the 5 are Olympians. Jan and Maurice are gold medal winners. I think she is getting pretty good advice.

Supportive mommy and boyfriend.That's sweet..
Photo from Getty Images
Photo from Getty Images

She needs to try more methodically,that's all I see.I don't think she has no talent.If Athina can be successful,then Charlotte can as well.
I was away for quite some time,do we have any news about the magazine she was about to edit? :)

FanofMonaco said:
Charlotte is receiving advice from Jan Tops, Edwina Alexander and Maurice, Philippe and Thierry Rozier. And who knows who else. 4 of the 5 are Olympians. Jan and Maurice are gold medal winners. I think she is getting pretty good advice.

Agreed, but she has to listen to that good advice, work hard and practice it. And she might- I don't know what she's like or what her real feelings are on the sport, but in my personal opinion, she needs to work harder and take as much advice as she can get from her talented coaches. Maybe less some time competing and more work on basics for a bit.

She looks good! Maybe thats what her problem was yesterday: she was missing Alex. They look cute together.

I won't and don't pretend to know anything about horses and jumping (that's my other sister's realm, not mine, lol), but I do know what I feel when I read a post that is derogatory in nature, with epithets such as "girl, you're ridiculous", "she'll never be a good rider", "she's so pretentious", etc. etc. etc., being thrown around with abandon. That po'es me! :mad:

It's one thing to offer constructive criticism, and entirely another to be plain critical, and rude to boot. The former is a learning experience, whereas the latter is a huge turn off and sends up *red flags*. Jmho.

Now back to Charlotte, she looks wonderful wearing Monaco's colors! :monacoflag: And her mother Caroline looks equally lovely. I love the fact that she's always there supporting her children, be it in sport, or a family event, et al. A mother's love is unconditional, and can make her children do amazing things... :heart1:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom