Charlotte Casiraghi's equestrian career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Their paths might have crossed. Zara has been in Monaco 1 or 2 times. Her boyfriend was in a poker tournament once and I think she might have gone to the Grand Prix once.

Well, Miss Casiraghi and Madison finished 12/20 in the #9 speed test, 1m20 jumps. 0 faults, time 62.09

Troy is back to his old tricks. They were eliminated in the 1.30 m.

Charlotte finished 11th out of 30 on Madison D'Olgy today. No faults. It looks like this horse may be a good match for her. Troy is listed as a did not start.

Charlotte finished 11th out of 30 on Madison D'Olgy today. No faults. It looks like this horse may be a good match for her. Troy is listed as a did not start.

Excellent - maybe Madison is the better partner.....

A mare? Nice. Stallions turned gelding at an older age are not the easiest.

Madison d'Olgy
Color: Bay
Sex: Mare
Breed: Father is KWPN, mother is SFA, father of mother is SFA
Breeder: Jean-Pierre Rozaire
Year: 2000
Sire: Concorde
Siredam: Daphne d'Olgy
Sire of mother: Hidalgo de Riou
Owner: S.A.R.L. La Martiniere

Previous rider: Jerome Gachignard (FRA)

A mare? Nice. Stallions turned gelding at an older age are not the easiest.

Maybe that's the trick for her - she responds better to a mare. I have found that mares - particularly after they've foaled - are more difficult; I prefer geldings.....

I do too. Wouldn't want otherwise. But it depends on the mare itself ofcourse. I know mares who are easily ticked off and the others couldn't give a damn.

Isn't that up to the horse in general? I mean what has the sex to do with it?
Excuse my ignorance:p

Isn't that up to the horse in general? I mean what has the sex to do with it?
Excuse my ignorance:p

Not at all - simplified; gelded horses are males w/out the testosterone - therefore, more calm and pliable:p. Mares, as they age (and, particularly after they've foaled), often are more ornery:bang: - hate to say it.....but, imagine you've given birth, and a few months later, someone wants to jump on your back and ride you:eek: - over jumps, on long trails, whatever.....guys have it soooo much easier!!:lol:

Hmm..that's true. These horses are trained from their young years to be for competitions.
Thanks for the clarification Horseygal:flowers:

It's the same with people really. Some women are more cranky than usual once a month and men are just men. Just saying. :whistling:

Tintero and Troy both jumped at 1.25 m today. Tintero finished 14/37 with no faults and Troy was eliminated. I noticed that Charlotte is honorary president of the Monte Carlo Grand Prix this year. Is PC going into retirement? She seems to be slowly handing over her duties to the kids.

Crossing my fingers for a Charlotte interview!:flowers:

Miss Casiraghi is in Estoril where the GCT started today. She and Tintero retired on the 1m30 course though. They didn't finish. Her trainer, Monsieur Rozier is also jumping this time. He did the 1m20 course, as also did his girlfriend, Marie Dive of Belgium. Rozier did very well with his horse, Rubins Quibelle: 3rd place, 75 euros. He finished above some people who had faster times, but those people also had some faults and Rozie had 0. :cool:
Marie didn't do nearly so well, almost finished last, did finish last except for the person eliminated.

Today, there was also a Children's competition, of 1m10 jumps. There was a Julia Tops of Switzerland. I wonder if she's Jan's little girl. If so, it would (partly, I'm sure) explain her good result, 2nd place! :D

In one of the pics she is wearing a different watch, that the green one she used to wear.
She retired? Why?

Oh :D I love her gucci vest.

I love the images from Estoril each year.
I think usually a rider retires if they know they can't do the course in a good time or if they had one too many refusals or something and they know it's no use to finish.

Last edited:
She looks awesome, as usual. She never looks bad in her equestrian gear. That vest is so chic.

Does this girl ever age ? I look at the pictures and think: "Uhh, that can't be right, that's when she was 15, right?" Wrong !

Charlotte Casiraghi competes during the Global Champion Tour Jumping 2010 day 1 on July 1, 2010 in Estoril, Portugal.

I watch in live and I don't understand why she retired :ermm:

http://img160.imagevenue.com/galshow.php?gal=gallery_1278021767683_354lo&format=show

Source: Getty

Did she have a jump refusal, or another fault too many? Was she taking too much time? I think a rider will retire if he/she knows that their time would be below par and there's nothing they could do to have a place. There is always so many places with prize, and then so many "non-placed" places, and after that the riders go in a lump together. Like if there are only 13 places, and let's say Char was headed for being just a 13th (with several others) and she knew she couldn't go faster to get higher resut, she might retire????

I didn't see why she retired either. It was almost like she forgot where the last fence was or the horse headed for the exit. The last 3 times I have watched Charlotte ride, I noticed she is trying some new moves. She used to always make long looping turns and always take the fences straight on. Now she is trying to take the fences at an angle and making sharp angular turns. She doesn't have it down yet, but once she gets the hang of it, it will take several seconds off her time. I think that is why she is getting more faults lately.

yeah, that makes sense. Maybe she just didn't *feel* it yesterday. :cool: Today she does the 1* 1m40 course. Thierry is riding again, like his girlfriend in the 1m25, in a little over an hour. Estoril is GMT+1 time zone. First Thierry goes at 1700. Then Charlotte at 1800. I wonder why all the events are evening ones here. They did the Grande Premio at 10 AM and then the rest is all in the afternoon/early evening. I really like this article on the GCT website:

Showjumping. A Glamorous Life?

It might seem to an outsider that the life of a top international rider is an exciting and glamorous sequence of top shows in fantastic venues. Who would not like to spend a few weeks touring the French and, this week, the Portugese, Riviera coastlines? London, Paris, Rome all of these host top international shows, can there be a downside? Well on the surface yes, but if you look a little more closely, like many things, it is not all quite as it seems. Take Ireland's Billy Twomey who is competing in Estoril this week. Last week he had a good show in Monaco with several placings, but as the show finished on Saturday night there was not much time for partying afterwards at the show Gala, which was held at the exciting and renowned Sea Lounge in Monte Carlo. Billy had to pack for his early morning flight on Sunday. “And I managed to misplace my passport so when I had done it, I had to unpack it all and start again” recalled the rider, who discovered the document under a cushion in his room. The it was off to the airport to fly to London Gatwick so Billy could jump in the world renowned Hickstead Derby on Sunday afternoon. He should have made it with hours to spare, Hickstead is only a few miles from the airport, until the flight was delayed for four hours! Touching down at 2.50 p.m. Billy ran out of the airport, where his brother was waiting with the car engine running, to speed off to the show where he was due in the arena at 4.00p.m. “At least I know what the course is (the Derby track is the same each year)” laughed the Irishman who did make it and actually finished fourth with just one rail down at the notorious Devils Dyke combination. Then he had to go home to his Cheshire base to work the younger horses and see his family for three days before flying out to Estoril for the GCT!
He is not an exception by any means. The GCT show in Cannes clashed with a German National Championship show last year and with the European Championships approaching, their top German riders were required to attend. So several of them commuted back and forth and rode at both, thanks to the private plane of a generous sponsor! After the 2009 GCT Final in Doha, Kevin Staut was amongst the riders who boarded a midnight flight so they could get back to ride at Vienna Stadthalle the following day. Robert Whitaker, having won classes at London's CSI 5* Olympia, just before Christmas, spent Christmas day mucking out with father John before getting in the truck to drive to Mechelen on Boxing Day. “Sometimes the logistics are difficult” he said at Valkenswaard last year “but we are used to it and on the whole it is a good life.”
Obviously with a schedule like this the riders are often completely reliant on their grooms in a way event riders are not because there are so many less three day events to go to world wide and generally the riders travel with the horses and share the driving. Although on this occasion for Estoril Daniel Deusser for example, did help with the 2000km drive, showjump riders would have no time to ever ride the ones at home if they spent two or three days each week on the road so the grooms take the responsibility. If you want to read more about the working life of a top international show groom, you will find an article on the subject in the Estoril chapter of the 2009 GCT Yearbook, available at the shows or via this website.

I love the pics from Caras. Thanks for posting that.

I'm going to watch Charlotte shortly, in the 1* 1m40. I just glanced at Thierry's event. His results weren't good. He had a lot of faults, worth 13 points, and ranked near the bottom. His girlfriend though, Marie Dive, of Belgium, did very well with 6th place and 60 euros. Also, in the first part of the Grande Premio, Doda was 11th place, just missed the prize places, without faults.

Random question for the jumping riders reading this: Sand or grass course? Which do you prefer?

Back
Top Bottom