The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with TrepStep that Charlotte loves the sport whether she does well or not.

Gucci has sold lots of custom riding boots because of Charlotte in addition to fashion. Edwina may be the best woman rider but she only got the Gucci job because of Charlotte. Edwina said so herself in an interview.

Interest in the GCT and showjumping in general have increased since Charlotte began riding again in 2009. She is a publicity magnet. I also believe she is an investor in the GCT and maybe the Pessoa competitions. The fact that the GCT is growing during a global recession should tell you something. Her family knows how to cater to the high-end market. She said in her first French TV interview that she was riding with the GCT to help promote it. I doubt the top riders are making fun of her. Their paychecks are going up because of her.

Who do think is financing the GCT? It's' people like PC, Charlotte, Athina Onassis, Marta Ortega and Edward de Rothschild. Athina is the only pro in the bunch.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I agree with TrepStep that Charlotte loves the sport whether she does well or not.

Gucci has sold lots of custom riding boots because of Charlotte in addition to fashion. Edwina may be the best woman rider but she only got the Gucci job because of Charlotte. Edwina said so herself in an interview.

Interest in the GCT and showjumping in general have increased since Charlotte began riding again in 2009. She is a publicity magnet. I also believe she is an investor in the GCT and maybe the Pessoa competitions. The fact that the GCT is growing during a global recession should tell you something. Her family knows how to cater to the high-end market. She said in her first French TV interview that she was riding with the GCT to help promote it. I doubt the top riders are making fun of her. Their paychecks are going up because of her.

Who do think is financing the GCT? It's' people like PC, Charlotte, Athina Onassis, Marta Ortega and Edward de Rothschild. Athina is the only pro in the bunch.
Not exactly, the interviewer commented that she would be a wonderful ambassador to riding sport and she replied that if she can help to promote the riding sport by participing in GCT, she would be pleased so she didn't say that she wanted to promote GCT but the riding sport.

Léonard de Vinci
Old 03-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Serene Highness

Charlotte is doing both, but she has ridden mostly with the GCT and is very cozy with the Tops.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:02 AM
Courtier

I half agree, half desagree with you FanofOmanco.

Quote:
I Charlotte loves the sport whether she does well or not.
I'd say that she loves the sport independently of her Gucci contract. She first returned to showjumping and then came the Gucci contract.

But showjumping is a sport that you can't keep on practising if you don't do well (I don't mean riding high level but simply fiinishing you parcours, whatever the height without minor incidents).
First because it's dangerous and you get scared and suffer.
And second because it's not like a other sports. You can suck at football, tennis or voleyball and still have fun at it playing with your friends and entering competitions appropiate to your level. You will never be ridiculous because you will be among your peers with no public.

Sadly, showjumping allows you to enter public competitions you are nor ready for. And you are on your own, in the middle of a track, with megaphony shouting your name and the public looking at you (even more if your name is charlotte casiraghi).
Performing so poorly once and again in front of everybody with all eyes on you it's a harsh experience. You can't enjoy that even if you love horses.

Quote:
Gucci has sold lots of custom riding boots because of Charlotte in addition to fashion.
I don't think so. I believe that the Gucci riding boots are designed exclusively for Charlotte and Edwina. That's their value. They are something exceptional nobody but them can wear, increasing the appetite of everybody else to own something Gucci.

Also, Gucci is not in the business of riding gear and clothes. They do it for Charlotte, as brand image, but they don't want to make a business of it.

All pros and most serious amateur riders own custom made boots (they are a necessity because don't fit like normal street boots), but the Gucci boots are only for Charlotte and Edwina.

Quote:
Edwina may be the best woman rider but she only got the Gucci job because of Charlotte. Edwina said so herself in an interview.
I agree 100%. Riders are not famous like football players, tennis players, F-1 drivers, etc... They aren't worth investing on them this way. Unless you are Charlotte's partner.

Quote:
I also believe she is an investor in the GCT
I think you hit a clue here and I totally agree with you. She has money and she follows the tour so closely. Even before her Gucci contract. I'm quite certain that she is an investor aswell.

Quote:
I doubt the top riders are making fun of her. Their paychecks are going up because of her.
Oh, but THEY ARE! They were already doing it last year when she was still getting half decent results (I remember some really hurtful conversations with riders and journalists after the Valencia GCT days), so I can only imagine what's happening this year.

And the fact that she is spending a lot of money on showjumping only enances the hilarity factor!! That's the way the horse people' heads work!

There is nothing that riders love better that to laugh at little rich heiress who can't ride but have all the money in the world to buy good horses and ti crack them one after the other. They even celebrate with laughs when someone makes them buy a new horse or when they are ripped off by their trainers! (something very very usual, it's not just Thierry)

Also, the fact that she is being laughed at has nothing to be with her being a pro or an amateur.

Athina and Marta have never been laughed at that way as far as I know. From what I heard Athina is always been considered someone who doesn't bother the horse, doesn't detract from him. She is not a first rank rider but she doesn't waste her money. She buys the most appropiate horse she can find, she pays for it and she rides it correctly.

Marta has never been laughed at because she is also a correct rider who doesn't pretend to be something she is not and she has invested her money wisely. She always stated that she was just an amateur and she always did correctly in the competitions she entered.
Her father built a high class showjumping center in their town but the brought brilliant riders like Michel Robert to it. Now, she may invest in her husband horses, but Sergio Álvarez Moya is a very good rider.

Now, I can tell you that the Infanta Elena is generaly laughed at!! A lot! Her career is not as surreal as Charlotte's one because at least she stays mainly at home and doesn't go riding CSI around the world, but she has no talent whatsoever.
Also, she usually doesn't warm-up her horses herself. She has an instructor who does all the job at leaves the horse ready for her just to jump on it, and finish the course.
But even so she is less laughed at than Charlotte because neither her or her trainer were never caught telling the press that they wanted to be pros or go to the olympics and she doesn't waste money like a fool. She pays good horses who are right for her and that's it.

Now, Charlotte:
  • She made the mistake of letting her trainer say that she was going to the Olympics and didn't correct him (at least she could have said: it would be nice but I know it would be very very difficult and they are so many other talented riders, bla bla bla).
  • She spends a lot of money and buys a lot of horses that don't suit her (laughing factor number one among the equestrians).
  • She has the worst results ever. Eliminations are often a laughing matter if the rider is not your friend (and she is rich).
  • Oh, and I forgot! The Gucci clothes!! There is an unwritten rule among showjumpers. If you are not a little kid, you don't overdress unless you are riding high level or you know you are going to have good results. Showjumping aficionados can be mean! When you are not sure of your capacities or you are jumping in the lower divisions you usually wear discreet riding gear because you don't want people to say "who does she think she is? She is riding a 1.10!" or if you are not sure you are going to do well you don't want to know people are thinking: "ha, ha, ha, she dressed up for that". And you don't wear red if you are jumping lower than 1'20!
Now, Charlotte is wearing exclusively designed Gucci clothes and horse gear! She even was in red a few month ago when she was repetedly eliminated with Tintero in a 1.10!
Oh, GOd how I would wish to be dressed in a current brand during those moments if I was her!

Please, understand, I am not saying that it is bad for Gucci. 99'99% of people in the world don't know this and they will want to buy Gucci clothes because they look so good on Charlotte Casiraghi when she is riding.
But I am sure the fact that she is dressed by them only increases the laughs of the mean fellow riders.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Courtier

I loved reading your post Trepstep. You evoked something that shows that you have experienced the horse riding world: riders are very, very cruel. That's something you can't learn by only watching videos of jumpings on the web. I have been riding since my childhood and believe me, all that Trepstep said is true.

That's why I said that Charlotte was laughed at a lot, and Trepstep explained why very well.

I also noticed that Charlotte wore a red jacket a few time ago: I talked about it on the forum, and someone said that was just because it was the colour of her country. I didn't go on because I didn't want to create a new argument, but I'm happy that Trepstep noticed it too. Red jackets are traditionally wore by international riders. Red is a colour deserved for these people. Now things are changing, and red is not wore any more (or not a lot), because of its symbolic. When I saw Charlotte with red I have to recognize that I laughed. Was it a misunderstood? A pretentious act? I don't know, actually I don't think so. Maybe it was a proof of a bad knowledge of equestrian rules, and in that case that was Gucci's fault.

Other thing: I think, like you, that Charlotte gives money to GCT. Hasn't she been named "patronnness" of the Monte Carlo jumping?

However, when I read that Charlotte promotes Gucci or GCT I still don't understand: I ride, and in my "club" nobody knows her. People know and admire a lot P. Leprevot, K.Staut, M.Robert... But not Charlotte. So, maybe she promotes this sport for wealthy people evolving in her social background? If that's the case, I don't think that's a good thing: in the last decades, people worked a lot to destroy the image of horse riding = sport reserved for wealthy people only.
According to me, promoting horse riding as a glamour sport practicised in Gucci, in a competition which costs millions is not exactly what horse riding needs. That's just an opinion from someone who loves horse riding and who particises it frequently.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Courtier

Isn't a poor rider at risk for serious injury?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Serene Highness

I love watching the siblings having time together and encouraging one another!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Serene Highness

I know that horseriding can be very snobby, but I still think that Charlotte will have the last laugh. She will make lots of money from Gucci and the GCT. Her family is laughed at alot but they always seem to come out on top. She knows how to get publicity and attract sponsors. She may never be a top rider but she is already becoming an excellant businessperson. She is not afraid of shaking things up. Also the more paychecks go up, the more democratic the sport will be. She is a leader while the others are content with the static quo.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
Isn't a poor rider at risk for serious injury?
Most definitely. Even good riders get injured but a bad rider is at hgher risk.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I know that horseriding can be very snobby, but I still think that Charlotte will have the last laugh. She will make lots of money from Gucci and the GCT. Her family is laughed at alot but they always seem to come out on top. She knows how to get publicity and attract sponsors. She may never be a top rider but she is already becoming an excellant businessperson. She is not afraid of shaking things up. Also the more paychecks go up, the more democratic the sport will be. She is a leader while the others are content with the static quo.
But she wants to be a toprider not a businessperson. Where is the success if you don't reach the point where you want to be? She'll be richer than she is now but what for? Will she fulfil her dreams? Will she be more happy? I don't think so. And how can she be a leader when she is not even capable to work seriously for what she wants to be? I tend to believe that the others are the leaders because they want something and they work seriously and fight for it. No matter if they attract sponsors or not, they will have what they want (be riders not businessperson) when Charlotte won't. This is what success is about
Léonard de Vinci
Old 03-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Courtier

I agree with you Titiromi. Charlotte is earning a lot of money, but in the horse riding world I'm convinced that she'll never be recognised the way she would like to be: that's what she really wants. Maybe she'll win some respect if she works more, but for the moment it's not the case.

FanofMonaco, this time I still disagree with you. You wrote: Also the more paychecks go up, the more democratic the sport will be. I can't see how this is going to happen. Do you really think that the money earned in these elitist competitions will help horse riding to become more democratic? Maybe I'm too pessimist (and I know that I can be like this!) but according to me money will stay in this elitist world, and little horse riding school, which are suffering a lot in these times of crise (I only talk for France - many taxes), won't see the colour of it.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyKate View Post
I agree with you Titiromi. Charlotte is earning a lot of money, but in the horse riding world I'm convinced that she'll never be recognised the way she would like to be: that's what she really wants. Maybe she'll win some respect if she works more, but for the moment it's not the case.
I think she would earn more respect if she abandoned the competitive riding ring and became a fulltime public promoter of riding as a sport and of the GCT . Then she would no longer be open to criticism of being a pretty rich girl who cannot deliver results as an athlete and eventually would earn praise for helping to develop the sport for those riders who can deliver winning results. She could also raise funding to assist junior riders working their way up through the ranks. She could still wear the Gucci clothes that she is paid to wear but would no longer embarress herself in the riding ring and would be making a valuable contribution to the sport. She could even become involved with Riding For The Disabled in France as an adjunct to promoting equestrian sports, which wouldn't hurt her image either.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Serene Highness

Maybe she doesn't care what other people think. I think she started out wanting to be a top athlete but maybe then realized she could be more helpful promoting the sport. I still think her primary purpose is to promote Monaco, secondary to promote riding and fashion and last to become a good rider. You can't promote the other 2 if you are hidden away practicing all day.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Maybe she doesn't care what other people think. I think she started out wanting to be a top athlete but maybe then realized she could be more helpful promoting the sport. I still think her primary purpose is to promote Monaco, secondary to promote riding and fashion and last to become a good rider. You can't promote the other 2 if you are hidden away practicing all day.
Most people don't enjoy being a joke and I doubt she is any different.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Courtier

IMO, more than anything I worry about her safety. Honestly, I would think given her status as a socialite (because lets face it, that's what she is) that she would strive harder to prove herself. But I guess that's not the case. It would matter less if she was trying and failing at something like acting or singing like her Aunt Steph, but equestrian sport is nothing to do half-assed. If you know nothing else about the sport you know that. It looks dangerous. Elegant when you do it right, but always potentially dangerous. So I hope she either works harder or lets it go for her safety if not for her reputation and/or her pride.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kells View Post
IMO, more than anything I worry about her safety. Honestly, I would think given her status as a socialite (because lets face it, that's what she is) that she would strive harder to prove herself. But I guess that's not the case. It would matter less if she was trying and failing at something like acting or singing like her Aunt Steph, but equestrian sport is nothing to do half-assed. If you know nothing else about the sport you know that. It looks dangerous. Elegant when you do it right, but always potentially dangerous. So I hope she either works harder or lets it go for her safety if not for her reputation and/or her pride.
Bonjour,

Do not worry. After the sequence of photos last week, I 'm convinced that CHAR. knows very well what she is doing (does not require any change of coach, what a stupid freak) it stands up very well.

I'm not worried about anything. She defended himself very well in that fall. Most better than many professionals, believe me.

Regarding the results of this week do not need to talk (or write) a lot about them, because someone has even plagiarize my way of text presenting; what a shame, but I'm not bore, (up saves me work).

This week the team, and professionals Rozier family brought fresh horses, and just arrived 2 day before the event, and ... no rider can not have good results, even the champions, with no, or any experience work with this horses; but ... only here it is sad that someone tries to pass an false image, diferent of her ShowJumping reality ... that SHE, in is sport activity is embarrassed for that.

She is not embarrassed, because like her, and a lot of persons who know what is realy the horse sport, are consciousness; is more easier (come here speaking, and writing fluff) than actually practicing this sport, and have good results.

In this world we allways have the coaches from the benches who think are better smart then the other (riders ... the real ones) saying that to do so, or that way. Many do not even have a single positive experience in this activity in terms of entertainment, even more in official sports. But they write, and write ... can not get enough ... what a madness.

Let then write, and write ... because she do not pay any attention to that fluff. And my advice to you is the same ...

Old 03-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Serene Highness

Thierry Rozier came in 3rd on Tintero (Charlotte's horse) at the Vidauban Grand Prix yesterday; 2 star. Glad to see that the horses are getting ridden.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco
Thierry Rozier came in 3rd on Tintero (Charlotte's horse) at the Vidauban Grand Prix yesterday; 2 star. Glad to see that the horses are getting ridden.
Any word on when she might ride again?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness

I don't know if she is going to Qatar GCT or not. I think it starts on 4/5/12.

There is also a competition in Barbizon, France this week-end. It's on the edge of Fontainebleu and she sometimes competes there.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Serene Highness

No matter how Charlotte does, I think it's more about the love of the sport, and horses, than it is winning. She may not be trying to reach Olympic level, but I think it seems important for her to keep the skill she is learning from competing - just wish that she would get another trainer that can get her to the next skill level.