The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
Thanks HRH. I can't wait for the Olympics. (I know Charlotte won't be in them) I have really become a fan of show jumping and it is due to Charlotte.
I'm looking forward to watching them too :) Perhaps we can get a separate thread going to discuss the equestrian events when the Olympics start.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with you Kate. I think Charlotte doesn't want to leave a family friend; especially during a recession. She may like the area she lives in also. I would think dating a Parisian would give her an excuse to move to Paris and find a new coach.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Courtier

^ But living in Paris next to Gad would be more simple for her, because the Rozier live next to Paris, don't they? It's even easier for her than when she lived in London with Alex. I don't see what would help Charlotte to take her decision. She must feel secure in this familiar place. And there is something I have been thinking about for a long time, but maybe I'm wrong: Charlotte doesn't have any father anymore, and I think that Thierry Rozier, that she's been knowing since her childhood, must be someone special for her, an important one in her life. That could also explain why she does stay with him.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
If this is the new face of Gucci they are paying too much. She needs to go back to the basics and learn how to ride. I feel sorry for the horses which must be having their own confidence shaken by being riden by a less than competent rider.
So totally agree; with that look of fright/dismay on her face, she needs to go back to the drawing board. I also feel sorry for her horses when they're handled by a less-than-capable rider.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Charlotte Casiraghi competes in an equestrian event in Nice
Nice, France - 04.03.12
WENN Photo Library - Search Results
Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 AM
Courtier

I don't ride horses so I ask the equestrians here...can a horse sense when It's rider is nervous or upset? Does the horse feel a lack of confidence from the rider? Perhaps a lot of personal issues are simmering in Charlotte's life. Although she keeps her personal stuff private maybe we are seeing the effects of personal turmoil.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo
I don't ride horses so I ask the equestrians here...can a horse sense when It's rider is nervous or upset? Does the horse feel a lack of confidence from the rider? Perhaps a lot of personal issues are simmering in Charlotte's life. Although she keeps her personal stuff private maybe we are seeing the effects of personal turmoil.
Certainly, and that could be a small factor. It's not the main one though- she's had the same trouble with her riding for a long time.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I think Charlotte is the one that is balking. Right before she comes to a jump she leans back in her saddle (viewed on video from previous events). Isn't that telling the horse to stop? The horses are confused by her directions. The pros go over the jumps in a fluid motion. Charlotte also is too dependent on her stirrups and reins. She needs to learn to ride without a saddle or reins. That would force her to have the correct form. Help me out TrepStep? Am I starting to figure out how this sport works?
I am only an amateur rider and we only have a few pics to judge, so, my interpretation can be totally wrong, but...
imho, you are right when you say that Charllotte is too dependent on the reins and her balances seems very off in most pics.

In this particular case of Troy's refusal you are right when you see that Charlotte seems to be balking and pulling on the reins as if to tell the horse to stop, but it is not exactly that.

I'll try to explain it (help me out, rest of the riders of the forum if you find my explanation confuse, I don't know very well the equestrian terms in english)

There is a perfect spot from which each obstacle should be jumped. And the most difficult thing in showjumping is to get your horse to arrive at the precise distance from the jump that allows him to take the last stride, the beating stride that starts the jump, at that perfect spot.

The key to a good jump is in the canter. When you find the good canter, the right canter for you and your horse, something magical happens and you "see" the distances easily, and without any effort, the stride of the horse seem to regulate themselves so that the last stride takes him to the perfect spot to take the jump.

It seems quite an vague concept and it is the most difficult thing to achieve. Of course, it's something that everybody can work on and improve, but the best riders seem to magically have it. That's why they seem so fluent, and you don't see them pulling at the reins or urging their horses forward. If you see a video of Michel Robert of Pénélope Leprévost it looks as if they don't do anything at all.

Amateurs riders on the other hand usually see that they are arriving to the obstacle at the wrong distance when it is too late. 2 o 3 strides before the jump you realize that your last stride is going to be too close or too far away to the obstacle. And you have to do something to solve the problem in the last minute!
You suddenly have to decide which will be better to solve your problem. To pull your horse forward or to slow it, to take the jump from a bit too close or a bit to far away.

From the Troy pics, it looks as if Charlotte realized too late that she will be arriving to close to the obstacle and the horse wouldn't be able to jump it.
When this is the case you have two options:
-either you accelerate and make your horse steps wider in order to do one less stride and take the jump from a bit far away.
-either you sit back and try to slow your horse in order to try to make his strides shorter and distance the horse as much as posible from the jump in the last stride.
This seems the option that Charlotte took. That's why it looks as if she is stopping the horse.
Unfortunately, it was already too late to try to solve the problem, they arrived to close to the jump and the horse balked.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
Some horses are more sensitive to that kind of thing than others. On the other hand, there are many made/older horses called 'school masters' or 'bomb proof' or more unkindly 'seeing eye dogs' who will take whatever rider right around, no matter what the rider does. These are often some of the most expensive Jr/AO horses out there, if they can also jump the height.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I'm looking forward to watching them too :) Perhaps we can get a separate thread going to discuss the equestrian events when the Olympics start.
This would be interesting. Here in the US, one of our best GP riders McLain Ward recently shattered his kneecap in 22 places. It is doubtful he will be fit for the trials, but USEF/USET is considering giving him a bye (place on the team without having to do the trials). He was part of the Gold Medal Team from the last Olympics with Sapphire.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Serene Highness

It seems like in 2010 Charlotte was doing fine but riding slow. When she started to go faster than she was comfortable with that is when she started having problems. It threw off her timing and confidence.

As to coaching, the riding skill of the trainer has nothing to do with how good a teacher is. The opposite many times seems to be true. A natural athlete or someone like Thierry who has been on a horse since birth can ride well, but they don't really understand how they do it. Coaches who have never been athletes or were average athletes who turned themselves into good athletes make the best coaches. They learn the mechanics of the sport and then can explain it to others.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
This would be interesting. Here in the US, one of our best GP riders McLain Ward recently shattered his kneecap in 22 places. It is doubtful he will be fit for the trials, but USEF/USET is considering giving him a bye (place on the team without having to do the trials). He was part of the Gold Medal Team from the last Olympics with Sapphire.
How heartbreaking for him. I hope he recovers and gets back on form quickly so he doesn't have to miss this Olympics. But at least it's not his first Olympics and he's already won a gold medal. I think it would probably be even harder on someone who was getting their first shot at the team.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

With any luck, he may pull it off.

On a separate issue, may we have a round of applause for Zonk for dealing with the *ehem* other issue this morning? Merci, Priviet, Gracias and every other language!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Serene Highness

McLain Ward is our best rider. It will be devasting for the US if he can't ride in the Olympics. If his kneecap really was shattered maybe they will replace it with an artificial one. The good news is that the Olympics aren't starting until the end of July. Hopefully he can recover by then.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'll chime in with the round of applause. Thank you very much, moderation team.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Gentry

Bonjour,

The Nice Jumping Tour 2012, already beginning to; who wants to watch the results of CHAR. may do so from here:

NICE SPRING TOUR Accueil

Nice Spring Tour 2012 Week 1 | Horse timing

And see the vídeos from Nice Jumping Tour 2012 too:

http://wanevents.com/web/index.php?o...=803&Itemid=30

About McLain Ward, well I hope he recovery fast; but ... by the way this was not the US rider ELIMINATED by FEI by addiction to dopping last year.

McLain Ward - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This rider is in Europe, and also in the rest of the world horse riding totally discredit in terms of equestrian sport.

By the way again, do you now way the best US riders live (and they are not most just 4), and training in Europe, and European STAL ? And worse than that have EX European riders coaches, or even active European rider, teaching how to jump obstacles well ? Do you now way ? And just use jumping European horses, in their sport activity ?
Old 03-08-2012, 03:04 AM
Courtier

An she doesn't tire!

On the other hand it could be fun to have an Olympics thread, even if it is such a huge off-topic. Or we can keep talking here...
Maybe we can use Edwina's participation as an excuse for the moderators to allow us to do it?

Spain did not qualify and we are not sending a team so I guess that I will cheer for the riders whose style I like better, many of them french and US riders.

So sad that Hickstead won't be there...
Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepstrep View Post
It could be fun to have an Olympics thread, even if it is such a huge off-topic. Or we can keep talking here...
Maybe we can use Edwina's participation as an excuse for the moderators to allow us to do it?

Spain did not qualify and we are not sending a team so I guess that I will cheer for the riders whose style I like better, many of them french and US riders.

So sad that Hickstead won't be there...
Agreed. Poor Hickstead :/

If anyone from the moderation team wanders in- could one of you perhaps make a suggestion about where we could discuss the equestrian events at the Olympics? Is there an appropriate "Just for Fun" section of the forums where we could start that thread?

Thank you!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:16 AM
Heir Apparent

I was thinking just earlier that there are rarely pictures of Charlotte looking genuinely happy. I think that she's had a difficult life. Her father died when she was quite young, and then there was her mother's marrying again and the apparent break-up of that marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
Perhaps a lot of personal issues are simmering in Charlotte's life. Although she keeps her personal stuff private maybe we are seeing the effects of personal turmoil.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Here are some pics of the problematic incident Charlotte had with the horse during the competition yesterday, March 4:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gallery **
The pic nr 3 is incredible! She seems to be flying.....