The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-14-2010, 10:14 PM

^Yeah not Trops
Speaking of Athina, it's too bad we don't have any sightings of her and Tomboy yet. I know she rode with him in the first week of Villeneuve loubet, but she hasn't competed at all in weeks 2 or 3.

Here are Charlotte's results from Saturday, 13 March:
Charlotte & Tintero (I think I can, I think I can)

From sunday, 14 march:
Charlotte & Joey (eliminated)

Picture from the event: Charlotte and Thierry at the Villeneuve Loubet Tour 2010 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The source is WAN Events (dot com)

Old 03-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Charlotte competing in Villeneuve Loubet, March 12, 2010:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** gallery **

Old 03-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Serene Highness

Good for Char, exciting! I don't know if Okidoki was having a bad day, but the horse may be "greener," or certainly more horse than Charlotte could handle - for whatever reason, her trainer must have nixed any potential deal. The combination of horse and rider is extremely important, so if they are not at the same level of strength, it's going to show - either the rider can't control the horse, or the horse isn't experience enough in the ring to follow instruction and ignore the crowd....it can make for a disasterous ride....
Old 03-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Serene Highness

Okidoki is a really great and experienced horse, but very much a horse who wants to win at all costs. You can see when Oki is going back, that Albert is forcing him with his body to go forward (an unexperienced eye can barely notice it). Takes some great skill.

I'm just glad Charlotte is back competing.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Okidoki is a really great and experienced horse, but very much a horse who wants to win at all costs. You can see when Oki is going back, that Albert is forcing him with his body to go forward (an unexperienced eye can barely notice it). Takes some great skill.

I'm just glad Charlotte is back competing.
Totally agree - I think she's not, yet, at a level to handle such a spirited horse - as strong as her riding skills are, I don't believe they match those of Okidoki right now.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseygal View Post
Totally agree - I think she's not, yet, at a level to handle such a spirited horse - as strong as her riding skills are, I don't believe they match those of Okidoki right now.
But Thierry should know in order to give her that horse.
I mean he is very expierenced and has proved to have done a great job?
He really wants her to have a horse that is into her abilities and can handle it?
He must be a great coach btw..
Old 03-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Serene Highness

Oh, Okidoki is not hers, don't worry. I was just saying I'd love to see those two together jumping once as he is my favorite jumping horse of all time.

Tintero and G.I Joe are of great quality. But Okidoki is world class quality. And such a horse needs a rider of that same quality.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Serene Highness

To respond to both Azure and Empress Merel - I, too, have nothing but respect for her coach (Theirrey), as well as Charlotte, herself. My point was not - at all - to knock Charlotte's equestrian abilities, but to state that when a horse is more experienced than the rider, it can be a recipe for disaster, which a coach would understand. Whether Okidoki was being considered by Thierry, or not, as a potential partner for Charlotte, his input would be paramount in the decision to put Charlotte on such a horse - he also has to believe that she can handle the animal....it's a live animal with a mind of its own. Even when you know what you're doing (and, I'm nowhere near Charlotte's level), you can still find yourself in trouble if the horse has any reason to believe you don't know what you're doing, or is spooked. I hate to use the Christopher Reeve (God rest his soul) example, but professionals believed that on so many levels - his level of experience being one of those, and the fact that the horse was "green" to that level of competition - when the horse balked, the results were devastating (plus, some believe that he was too tall for the horse, which some believe contributed to the momentum he had going over his head). Had he been on a larger horse with more professional-level ring experience, things may have been different. You, as a rider, can also learn a lot from an experience, patient horse, which is what makes partnerships sooo loving and important!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Serene Highness

Yep, certainly agree on your last point. I always advice people when they get their first horse; not ever, but ever, buy a green horse as your first horse.
Owning and taking care of a horse is very difficult, let alone a green one. Proper guiding is a must.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseygal View Post
To respond to both Azure and Empress Merel - I, too, have nothing but respect for her coach (Theirrey), as well as Charlotte, herself. My point was not - at all - to knock Charlotte's equestrian abilities, but to state that when a horse is more experienced than the rider, it can be a recipe for disaster, which a coach would understand. Whether Okidoki was being considered by Thierry, or not, as a potential partner for Charlotte, his input would be paramount in the decision to put Charlotte on such a horse - he also has to believe that she can handle the animal....it's a live animal with a mind of its own. Even when you know what you're doing (and, I'm nowhere near Charlotte's level), you can still find yourself in trouble if the horse has any reason to believe you don't know what you're doing, or is spooked. I hate to use the Christopher Reeve (God rest his soul) example, but professionals believed that on so many levels - his level of experience being one of those, and the fact that the horse was "green" to that level of competition - when the horse balked, the results were devastating (plus, some believe that he was too tall for the horse, which some believe contributed to the momentum he had going over his head). Had he been on a larger horse with more professional-level ring experience, things may have been different. You, as a rider, can also learn a lot from an experience, patient horse, which is what makes partnerships sooo loving and important!
Dear, of course i didn't say that you said anything "offensive" Thierry. We all can see that he seems to be a great coach!
And that is the reason., i suppose, that Char still has him as a coach.
I love horse-riding. I always wanted to learn riding but i haven't beem given the chance..
I don't know what the future reserves from me but i don't have the opportunity, at least now.
I'm afraid i am not into the subject but is it difficult to learn riding?
Of course, to be very experienced you have to start it from a young age!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Serene Highness

I'm getting back into it after child birth, so it's been a bit slow - kids come first! I'm not in it to compete, but enjoy jumping and a good hack from time-to-time.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Serene Highness

It is one of the most difficult, if not the most, sport in the world as you're facing with yourself and another living being, the horse.

I started out when I was 6 so I picked up really fast and I have been riding for 10 years now but the joy never gets less. Not ever. Nothing comes close to the feeling of connecting and getting better.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Serene Highness

I, too, started as a kid - my parents weren't in favor of it since it is a live animal w/a mind of it's own, and a dangerous sport; I rode a lot w/out their knowledge, but once my Mother saw how much I loved it and that I was actually pretty good, they let me ride and supported me. I hope our kids love the sport, but won't be heart broken if they choose another sport.....
Old 03-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Charlotte competing in Villeneuve Loubet, France, March 13,
2010, supported by her mother and sister:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** gallery **
Old 03-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Serene Highness

I wonder if Alex does or will ride/compete?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Courtier

I'm sure she rides. They all know how to ride, but only time will tell if she ever competes.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Serene Highness

Alex is not a she.
He probably only pets them and occasionaly might do a round.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Commoner

It depends - is Alex short for Alexander or Alexandra?
Old 03-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Serene Highness

SORRY I should have specified that I was referring to Princess Alexandra!!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Serene Highness

Well, in that case; Mother and sister ride. It's only natural for her to atleast learn.