Charlotte Casiraghi's equestrian career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charlotte's results from this week-end: On Saturday-on CarryDuff 2* 1.30m 73/81 with 16 faults; Costa Virgio 1* 1.30 12/49 won 15 Euros; Madison D'Olgy eliminated same level. On Sunday- on CarryDuff 40/52 with 8 faults at 2* 1.30; Costa Virgio at 1* 1.20m 21/33 with 4 faults and 29/33 with 9 faults on Madison at same level.

Looks like Barbizon is having another competition next week-end.

Maybe she doesn't want to change her coach, because they are very close friends since a lot of years, so they have a strong connection. But if that's the case, then it is stupid, because if she wants to be good at the sport, she has to focus on the things that block her from this and leave some other things aside.

Maybe she doesn't want to change her coach, because they are very close friends since a lot of years, so they have a strong connection. But if that's the case, then it is stupid, because if she wants to be good at the sport, she has to focus on the things that block her from this and leave some other things aside.

I don't think she wants to be good at the sport, or cares very much about her results. She gets embarrassed when she's eliminated, but beyond that I don't think she cares very much.

She's treating riding as part of the Charlotte Casiraghi brand- part of her allure is not only her family history, but also her beauty, her sophistication, her fashion, and this image of her as adventurous and glamorous. I think the horses are more or less accessories to promote that look. She's making money from Gucci this way, but it's more respectable if it looks like they're sponsoring her riding rather than just using her as a model. As has been suggested by others, she may also be profiting financially from the Global Champions Tour.

I think she's in the sport because it's exclusive, dominated by other very wealthy people, and gives her something to do. Kind of a pretend career.

I don't think she wants to be good at the sport, or cares very much about her results. She gets embarrassed when she's eliminated, but beyond that I don't think she cares very much.

She's treating riding as part of the Charlotte Casiraghi brand- part of her allure is not only her family history, but also her beauty, her sophistication, her fashion, and this image of her as adventurous and glamorous. I think the horses are more or less accessories to promote that look. She's making money from Gucci this way, but it's more respectable if it looks like they're sponsoring her riding rather than just using her as a model. As has been suggested by others, she may also be profiting financially from the Global Champions Tour.

I think she's in the sport because it's exclusive, dominated by other very wealthy people, and gives her something to do. Kind of a pretend career.

I agree. If it wasn't Gucci to promote her (including her "career" as a rider and her profile as well) i think she would quit the sport or maybe she wouldn't even start horse riding again.
On the other hand, i would be very embarrased being among other very competitive athletes with an excellent level. She often gets eliminated or has many faults etc.
Sometimes i think that she has stuck to horse riding (not only because of Gucci and the great promotion she receives from them - i've got no problem with that) because she has no other interest. One war or another she doesn't do any harm.. but she may seem ridiculous to the other jumpers and those people who know about horse jumping.

Out of topic, but what happened with manifesto? I think it is published once in a year?

Last edited:
I am very critical with Charlotte horseriding career, but I don't think I fully agree with you azure, HRHHermione and blauerengel.
I don't think that Charlotte doesn't really care about horses or that she doesn't train much.
Of course she doesn't train enough if she wants to be a professional. A professional shoudl devote herself 100% to her career. That's one of the reasons why she looks so silly when she talks about being a pro or going to the Olympics.

But I do think she trains more than most amateurs, and she had better horses and professionals helping her. And she doesn''t stick exclusively to Thierry anymore. She trains in the Netherlands with Tops and Edwina.

After all these years I've come to realize that Charlotte simply has no talent to be a horsewoman. Not everybody can be a competent 1'30/1,40 rider. No matter how much this person trains.
To me, the clue was that interview at Bordeaux with old Marcel Rozier, with his "she has such passion". He was so clearly implied that she has no talent...

I've known a lot of people who were full of passion and spent with horses most of their free time, people who made huge economic efforts to pay for their horse, who have the willpower to train everyday after their day work at the office, and yet... never were high level amateurs, often because they couldn't afford a proper horse, but quite often because they simply don't had the talent, and they accepted it willingly and had fun jumping 1'10 courses, and kept on riding and loving horses.

Charlotte has to main problems, imo.

First, that her Gucci sponsorship allows her to buy great horses and pay first level trainers who prepare the horses for her and allow her to look the part in 1'40 competitions for a couple of days until the horses get fed up with her and the process stars once again. This way she jumps higher courses that someone her level should be jumping and she thinkss she is better than he is.

Second, she is a spoiled little girl who thinks she is the best and deserves the best, and doesn't realize that some activities require talent, not just money.

The results at the Barbizon jumping are decent, because her horses are prepared by other people but the pictures speak for themselves. She rode awfully.

As I am not a professional rider I don´t know if she has talent or not,however we all see her disappointing results and even as a non-professional I can see the mistakes (her posture,the way she is riding the horse) and she has said in an interview that she does not train much. To me it seems more like a lack of motivation and discipline,but I can´t tell as I am not an expert. That´s just my opinion and I really don´t mean to offend anyone.
Just out of interest, is anyone of this board competing in equestrianism? I for my part I like to feed them and be around the horses,but I do ride only very occasional and never did any jumps.

Last edited:
I agree with Hermione and Azure, Charlotte uses this sport to promote her partnerships with Gucci. As a member of the Princely Family, it looks better not to be considered as a model (she uses to be). Horse riding is a posh sport, lots of money, lots of "beautiful" people from rich families, many codes, everybody is CHIC, it's perfect for her.
And it can let think she has a job.
Of course, I think she likes horses and the competition, but not as much to make sacrifices. Her life as a socialite is more important.
I have a question, because I don't know all the family as well as you, do Charlotte and his brothers have an official job ? I mean, they're not prince and princess, they have no title, they're supposed to work like "everybody" (lol)
I think she was sort of a journalist when she lived in London (for a magazine), but now ?
And for Andrea and Pierre ?

and she has said in an interview that she does not train much. To me it seems more like a lack of motivation and discipline.

She's never said anything like that, as far as I remember. Quite the contrary.
She always speaks about how much she trains and how horseriding is her primary activity. In her last interview she also explained that lately she is spending much of her time in The Netherlands to train at the Tops barn.

Marcel Rozier did also recently talk about her big passion and motivation. But he kept quiet about her talent...;)

I agree with Hermione and Azure, Charlotte uses this sport to promote her partnerships with Gucci.

It's rather the other way. Someone wrote about it in Vanity Fair, I believe, and recently she's confirmed it herself. She doesn't ride to promote Gucci. She promotes Gucci in order to get money to support her riding passion.
Riding at the international level Charlotte is jumping is incredibly expensive even for a wealthy person. She needs Gucci and Cartier partnership to pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Even the very have a budget. I'm sure Caroline and possibly Albert invests in Charlotte's sport. From what I've heard riding at a high level cost $200,000-$300,000. A LOT of money.

^ I hate to break the news, but at that level, $200-300,000 would be on the low side of what one would expect to pay for 1 horse (we have horses in our barn which were bought for Euro 1,000,000)....not including any of the expenses attached to actually competing.....

I think riding is Charlotte's escape from being a Grimaldi. It's also a great business opportunity. She is getting in at the beginning of what could turn out to be a big money maker. Look how tennis and Formula 1 have evolved over the last few decades. I don't mean making money as a pro, but as an investor. I think she enjoys riding, but it will never be her top priority.

I've known a lot of people who were full of passion and spent with horses most of their free time, people who made huge economic efforts to pay for their horse, who have the willpower to train everyday after their day work at the office, and yet... never were high level amateurs, often because they couldn't afford a proper horse, but quite often because they simply don't had the talent, and they accepted it willingly and had fun jumping 1'10 courses, and kept on riding and loving horses.

Charlotte has to main problems, imo.

First, that her Gucci sponsorship allows her to buy great horses and pay first level trainers who prepare the horses for her and allow her to look the part in 1'40 competitions for a couple of days until the horses get fed up with her and the process stars once again. This way she jumps higher courses that someone her level should be jumping and she thinkss she is better than he is.

Second, she is a spoiled little girl who thinks she is the best and deserves the best, and doesn't realize that some activities require talent, not just money.

The results at the Barbizon jumping are decent, because her horses are prepared by other people but the pictures speak for themselves. She rode awfully.

I agree with your post above.. But i really don't know if she trains a lot. She has make a collection of horses that other people ride (as you mentioned, too). If she trains in Nehterlands, i guess she really needs a lot of work and cannot improve herself in such a short time.

A friend of me told me (she used to ride and take part in jumping races) that 60% of the job depends on the horses, which are born with the goal to be intended only for jumping and the other 40% it's up to the rider. If they don't have a connection between them, the game is lost. In order to build that connection, you need to spend a lot of time with the horse. The pictures do not show any connection with Char and her horses. Her horses mostly act crazy/scared/confused and Charlotte seems disappointed.

Well, i remember Guillaume Canet riding with her in a competition (is he also sponsored by Gucci?) He says he's an amateur and horse riding is nothing more than a hobby for him. He accepts his level but i guess he trains. Charlotte is supposed to be better than him, but i can hardly say she reaches him. Even if she says riding is a career for her and expects to go to the Olympics. Ok, you can be ambitious, optimistic etc. but you also need to have some self consciousness.

It would be ok if she'd only said that she wants to promote the sport (which in my opinion is very well promoted - every rich person has had a connection with horse riding ever since).

She is a grown up woman in her late twenties that wants to do something with her life She found horse riding, she thinks she can handle it, she has Gucci and Cartier that support her (all the world is in her feet) so she must be very stupid to quit it. But she doesn't have to pretend.

One the other hand, I don't think Eugenie Niarchos is doing something constructive with her life.

marine - I think they can normally work as simple people! They do not hold any title. Andrea was doing something with the Embassy of Qatar (please, correct me if i am wrong).
I don't know about the rest of the siblings.

Last edited:
I don't think Charlotte has any priorities, I think she flits from one thing to another never devoting enough time to any one thing long enough to be good at it. For her it is all about what looks good, what gets a bit of attention, what makes it look like she is doing something with her time when she is not at a party or with her boyfriends. If riding is her hobby that is fine, but dont talk about being a pro or competing in the Olympics because that makes her look like a silly celebutante.

I think riding is Charlotte's escape from being a Grimaldi.

I'm not really certain what she has to escape from. She's not officially a member of the royal family, she does no duties and has no real family obligations there. She has all the fun of being a royal- lots of prestige, lots of money, entrance into any parties or events she would want to go to- with very few of the drawbacks. I'm sure photographers get annoying, but riding certainly isn't a break from that.

I'm not really certain what she has to escape from. She's not officially a member of the royal family, she does no duties and has no real family obligations there. She has all the fun of being a royal- lots of prestige, lots of money, entrance into any parties or events she would want to go to- with very few of the drawbacks. I'm sure photographers get annoying, but riding certainly isn't a break from that.

Her recent appearance at the Rose Ball showed that she enjoys being a member of the Grimaldi family. Escape from the Paradise? I don't think so.

It's rather the other way. Someone wrote about it in Vanity Fair, I believe, and recently she's confirmed it herself. She doesn't ride to promote Gucci. She promotes Gucci in order to get money to support her riding passion.
Riding at the international level Charlotte is jumping is incredibly expensive even for a wealthy person. She needs Gucci and Cartier partnership to pay for it.

She needs Gucci to ride at an international level, but she shouldn't be riding at an international level in the first place. That's what leads me to believe she cares more about being seen, having a jet set, socialite life style, and being a fashion icon than she does about her riding. If she cared about her riding, she'd know something was wrong. She'd know she was screwing up on these courses and isn't ready for them. I think if she cared about doing well, she'd have backed off these types of events awhile ago and she'd be schooling every day and attending small shows where she could jump 1.10.

I think for Charlotte, riding is a means to an end: it's part of her brand. It allows her to live the high fashion, socialite lifestyle but in a way that won't get her ridiculed in the press.

She's out of her league, and it shows every single time she rides. The pictures from this event were laughably bad, and the ones from a few weeks ago where she was riding at a lower level weren't good either. She's not a good rider- whether it's because, as you believe, that she totally lacks talent or whether it's because she doesn't devote much time to training and isn't willing to do the hard, boring, work on fundamentals that she'd need to improve, or some combination of the two.

I don't think Charlotte has any priorities, I think she flits from one thing to another never devoting enough time to any one thing long enough to be good at it. For her it is all about what looks good, what gets a bit of attention, what makes it look like she is doing something with her time when she is not at a party or with her boyfriends. If riding is her hobby that is fine, but dont talk about being a pro or competing in the Olympics because that makes her look like a silly celebutante.

I think for Charlotte, riding is a means to an end: it's part of her brand. It allows her to live the high fashion, socialite lifestyle but in a way that won't get her ridiculed in the press.

I agree with you both. I'm not sure whether Charlotte has the passion for horses or not. Maybe she does. But she doesn't ride just because of it.
I agree that horse riding is just a way of doing something she probably likes allowing her not to leave her world of rich and glamorous people and allowing to say she does something. Like her journalistic/editing work in Ever Manifesto. She involves herself into projects and more projects that she must have interests in without ever leaving her world. It's her way of not looking like a futil rich girl that does nothing with her life. Probably she pretends to convince herself more than any other person. But since she puts no serious effort nor devotes time enough into any of these things, she nevers improves

After all these years I've come to realize that Charlotte simply has no talent to be a horsewoman. Not everybody can be a competent 1'30/1,40 rider. No matter how much this person trains.
To me, the clue was that interview at Bordeaux with old Marcel Rozier, with his "she has such passion". He was so clearly implied that she has no talent...

I couldn't agree more with you trepstep. Her pushed 'career' reminds me of Stephanie during her heydays (20 and more years ago). She had no talent for singing and was hiped because of her background. People bought her album out of curiosity and she was awarded with a gold record. A lot of yes-sayers were making a lot of money with her and made her think she was the best.
But at the end of the day it turned out as a complete failure (her laughable performances and lack of talent in singing and dancing can be viewed on youtube and on this forum). Also her careers as a model and swim-suit designer were short lived. And Charlotte as well as Stephanie would have never achieved a high level model career if they would have been just the pretty girl next door - both are not tall enough.

If Charlotte is smart she should take a close look at her aunt's destiny and rethink her priorities.
She puts her glowing complexion on risk with heavy smoking and a jet set life style.
And on top of all she also puts her health on risk if she continues performing beyond her level in such a dangerous sport.

Last edited:
There are many erroneous data here,

Not wanting to be obsessive here (as many); just say Charlotte Casiraghi is not the Athina Onassis, or Marta Ortega; much less Prince of the Arab´s country; those are the true owners of the horses they use.
The 10 horses used by the (Princess untitled) are only 1 or 2 of his property, only Tintero and Troy are horses +75.000,00 € of value, the other´s has no category to reach € 35,000.00 market.
They are horses without history (curriculum vitae), without genetic background, no good results; or trained by high professionals stalls; variables very important to be up the market value.

The last media sale horse known of the 5* events/shows, was CARLO 273, acquired by Marta Ortega, for 12 million of euros. :lol: (That is real chic)

Now the expenses incurred by participation in the events is diferent ... is evident that they are high, many professional riders, has nutritionist, veterinarian, 2 or 3 GROW's finally always need a good truckdriver, helper discharge, these things are always expensive, nothing like that exists in the amateurs, unless ... and maybe that's the case, some stars of the ShowOff, like to create a false appearance of professionalism in their interests appear, and the whole circus behind them ... ... ...

Not to mention the equestrian real estate, they have, huge instalations, with very high cost equipment, with whirlpool/Jacuzzi, solariums, roundpools, electric carpets; :whistling:
None of this exists in the amateurs life horses ...

That horse may have been sold to a Dane. Ad Picolien stopped jumping in 2012, but a mare named Picolien born the same year competed in eventing in 2012.

Jan Tops said in an interview that Charlotte's horses were good horses, forgiving of mistakes, to help her learn. They are not Olympic level.

My point was that you can put together a capable professional Grand Prix rider like Doda and a very high caliber Grand Prix horse like AD Picolien and it still may not be a 'match'. Also, anyone who rides knows that there are certain horses who will take anyone around at whatever level. There are two names we use in riding 'a schoolmaster', or for one who has it in spades 'a seeing eye dog'. She needs one who knows it's job and will take her around. The type that gets its eye on the jump, so that when she's asking to leave the ground from an unjumpable distance it says 'Oh we can't leave the ground from there. Let me fix it'

The reason we call them school masters is a horse like that will teach you the correct feeling. If you have one like that for a couple of years and rack up lots of positive experience, you aren't sitting in the in gates saying 'Please let me get around without incident'. IMO that is what Charlotte needs .

Last edited:
My point was that you can put together a capable professional Grand Prix rider like Doda and a very high caliber Grand Prix horse like AD Picolien and it still may not be a 'match'. Also, anyone who rides knows that there are certain horses who will take anyone around at whatever level. There are two names we use in riding 'a schoolmaster', or for one who has it in spades 'a seeing eye dog'. She needs one who knows it's job and will take her around. The type that gets its eye on the jump, so that when she's asking to leave the ground from an unjumpable distance it says 'Oh we can't leave the ground from there. Let me fix it'

The reason we call them school masters is a horse like that will teach you the correct feeling. If you have one like that for a couple of years and rack up lots of positive experience, you aren't sitting in the in gates saying 'Please let me get around without incident'. IMO that is what Charlotte needs .

Thank you for your insightful post, I as someone who adores horses but doesn´t know much about professional riding,can learn a lot by reading such informative posts:)
So what is your explanation for Charlottes rather disappointing results? Do you think she has no talent,do discipline,the wrong trainer or a horse that doesn´t have the right "chemistry" (emotional connection) with her?

Also,I would love to have that horse you wrote about,the horse that can "take anyone around at whatever level." :)
I do have a good relationship with animals,I train dogs and have lots of other pets,occasionally I ride but only for pleasure and without competing,but with such a wonderhorse who knows,I might change my profession and re-evaluate my plans for the future :mountie:

Charlotte didn't ride at Barbizon today, but Thierry Rozier did. He didn't do well on Tintero. Tintero was listed as being owned by the previous owner from Mexico. Maybe Charlotte is leasing Tintero. He also rode a 7 yr old female, named Sakann, that was listed as owned by Charlotte. She didn't do very well either. In the last year, Thierry has gone from being unranked to the mid 200s. He has done well; mostly riding Tintero.

Thank you for your insightful post, I as someone who adores horses but doesn´t know much about professional riding,can learn a lot by reading such informative posts:)
So what is your explanation for Charlottes rather disappointing results? Do you think she has no talent,do discipline,the wrong trainer or a horse that doesn´t have the right "chemistry" (emotional connection) with her?

Also,I would love to have that horse you wrote about,the horse that can "take anyone around at whatever level." :)
I do have a good relationship with animals,I train dogs and have lots of other pets,occasionally I ride but only for pleasure and without competing,but with such a wonderhorse who knows,I might change my profession and re-evaluate my plans for the future :mountie:
I was lucky enough to have 'that horse' early in my career. He taught me more than any human ever did. You could run as fast as you could go at the hardest angle slicing diagonally at the jump without ever having to look for the take off point, because he had missile lock on the jump. The saddest day of my life was when I had to put him down at 26 (on my birthday no less). I cry for him every day. To take nothing away from my other horses, this one was a once in a life time.

Ditto Scooter. I find your posts very informative. Thanks.

I think riding is Charlotte's escape from being a Grimaldi. It's also a great business opportunity. She is getting in at the beginning of what could turn out to be a big money maker. Look how tennis and Formula 1 have evolved over the last few decades. I don't mean making money as a pro, but as an investor. I think she enjoys riding, but it will never be her top priority.

It is her way to be something else than daughter of... and grandaughter off... a useless socialite like Kim Kardashian.
She has a beauty which is HER beauty, and a cerain riding capacity (not enormeous talent but still some talent) which is alo HERs

Last edited:
Even if she wanted to escape from the "Grimaldi" i think it is a bit difficult. People will always remember her for her family, i guess. It's not bad in my opinion.
I personally, when i think of Charlotte, Monaco and the beautful rock come to my mind:p And of course her attendances in fashion shows or in Monaco's duties and balls.
She is a part of that family. It's ok, nothing wrong to be related to them. If she wasn't a member, she would not be given the chance to participate in races and even be a horse rider (it's an expensive sport) and she wouldn't be chosen as a Gucci model. In my eyes she doesn't seem to have a problem with that. I wouldn't have either. She is a private person when she wants to be private (long time to see pics of her, which means that she can hide heself when she wants). Furthermore, the highlight and press follow her since she was a kid. It's not that she suddenly became known and her life changed radically from one day to another. She must have get used to this way of life.

Last edited:
I do not think she wants to escape from the Grimaldi family, she looks very confortable with the family and the relative tasks. Since their tender age the full trio has participated to most of the official events of Monaco in opposition to Stephanie's kids who were absent from all exept the Circus events!! for me YES Stephanie raisd her children to escape being Grimaldis, but not Caroline.
Charlotte + her brothers have fulfilled also alone some small tasks, like inaugurating a boat or give the award to the winner of Monaco Grand-prix, so IMO she does not want to escape from being a Grimaldi, she just needs to do also something else.

Back
Top Bottom